• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch 2 Will Get AAA Games At Launch, It's Claimed

Portugeezer

Nintendo is not going to launch a system without a few first party IPs. There should be at least a 3D Mario game, and an Zelda-like action rpg game, a party game, and a racing game all around the launch window!
Yeah they learned the hard way with the Wii U and fixed that mistake with the Switch launch "window". Hopefully they don't try some Wii U Nintendo Land shit with no big games with it.

Woopah

Not that I find the source reliable, but yes third parties won't want to miss the boat a second time.

Kenpachii

Hardware should be fast enough to run most games really, so would not be shocked if we see most 3rd party games on it as ports.

baphomet

You jest, but having those stripped down ports operate at a new and significantly higher baseline would be a boon for all involved.

The Switch (essentially) doesn't get current gen ports, so if anything it'll just be a significantly lower baseline even compared to the Series S.

Ozriel

M$FT
Sony doing 3rd party exclusives: “It’s disgusting, the developer limited sales potential”

Nintendo doing 3rd party exclusives:”Cmooooon Letzzzs goooo”.

Most of Nintendo’s exclusives from third parties comes from games they fund themselves, like Bayonetta 3. Or from Japanese developers targeting most of their sales at the local market where Switch thrives.

As for the claim, it was expected, Switch 1 already received lots of AAA 3rd party games, annual FIFA/EA sports, NBA, etc.

A very significant percentage of third party AAA titles skipped the Switch because it just wasn’t powerful enough.

I hope not. The WiiU launched with a lot of "AAA" 3rd party titles and did badly. Nintendo needs to space out these games.

…Why would having more games available be a bad thing?

Mownoc

A lot of new Nintendo platforms get decent third party support for launch. WiiU got CoD, Mass Effect, Batman, Watchdogs, ZombiU, Assassins Creed, Need for Speed.

The thing with Nintendo platforms is whether it can keep western AAA support longer than the first 2 years.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter much. Switch didn't need good 3rd party support and Switch 2 doesn't either. People buy it for Nintendo Games, they'll play GTA6 or the next Cyberpunk on a different platform.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
A lot of new Nintendo platforms get decent third party support for launch. WiiU got CoD, Mass Effect, Batman, Watchdogs, ZombiU, Assassins Creed, Need for Speed.

The thing with Nintendo platforms is whether it can keep western AAA support longer than the first 2 years.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter much. Switch didn't need good 3rd party support and Switch 2 doesn't either. People buy it for Nintendo Games, they'll play GTA6 or the next Cyberpunk on a different platform.

Wii U support dried up because the hardware itself was unpopular and didn’t sell well.
Switch 2 won’t have this issue at all.

People are happily playing GTA and Cyberpunk on Steamdeck. A handheld that can run AAA ports will likely be well received.

BlackTron

How do you know the hardware will be fast enough to run most games? That's a bold claim.

QHrQ2eB.gif

While recognizing this isn't exactly a flex, we have Jedi Survivor on PS4 and Xbox One now.

How do you know the hardware will be fast enough to run most games? That's a bold claim.
Especially since we are talking about nintendo here lol
Because engines are very scalable now, and most games released nowadays can be easily ported across a number of platforms. Also it’s been pretty well-reported by now that we’re talking about PS4+ level power along with all the modern tech layered on top of that. Besides, many games still release on PS4, to this day.

Last edited:

lachesis

Gold Member
They’ve been sitting on it for so many years- they’d better have some good aaa titles and prepared enough units…

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
"Open world" Mario.

What BOTW was to the Zelda franchise, basically.

squidilix

Skyrim Anniversary Edition, let's go.

Prepare for Mario Odyssey Bowser's Fury HD.

And Breath of The Wild Remaster

Trilobit

Nintendo is not going to launch a system without a few first party IPs. There should be at least a 3D Mario game, and an Zelda-like action rpg game, a party game, and a racing game all around the launch window!

Hopefully this is a cross-gen title:

YLbgf9d.png

"Open world" Mario.

What BOTW was to the Zelda franchise, basically.
Oof. They need to be careful with that.

But, it's Nintendo EPD Tokyo team we're talking about. The same people that made Galaxy and Odyssey. Masters of their craft, at the top of their game. Not like I'm actually worried about it not turning out 10/10. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Hopefully this is a cross-gen title:

YLbgf9d.png
By cross-gen, if you mean Nintendo would be happy to sell you a Switch 2 version later on in 2025 for $60, and your save doesn't transfer over, then yes!

In all seriousness, I do think Switch 1 games will be fully backward-compatible and that's partly why the Switch 2 is taking so long. But the open question is will Nintendo do what they usually do with BC and have zero improvements running on the new hardware. Or will they adopt with Xbox and PS do for current-gen and have out-of-the-box enhancements for BC titles, even if some come with an upgrade path/fee.

I think one of if not the only true cross-gen day-and-date Switch 1/Switch 2 game will be Metroid Prime 4. Like what they did with BotW in 2017.

Last edited:

tkscz

So did the Wii U. Look how well that turned out.
This is something people forget about the Wii U which is why I don't understand why so many people assumed lack of software was the reason it failed.

Nintendo not understanding that the Wii, regardless of selling over one hundred million units, was not a console people played throughout it's life. Most people played Wii sports, and Mario Kart and then used it for netflex. Attaching the Wii U with the Wii in marketing hurt it bad from day one. Causing confusion among the casual crowd they wanted so badly. Wii already had several games and accessories with that name in it so the successor having Wii in the name also confused them. Why would they want a $300 tablet to a system they don't play anymore.

The Switch doesn't have that problem, people still play games on their Switch. Software sales on the Switch absolutely trounce the Wii's and new games still sale over a million copies even 8 years later. So I can see it playing out better from Switch to Switch successor than Wii to Wii U when it comes to 3rd party games. They just have to jump on that launch Window.

Yeah, I fully expect games like the list below to all be present at some point in the first year or two.

Star Wars Ubi or EA
Elden Ring
Cyberpunk
REmake 2-4
Tekken
SSFVI
Monster Hunter something
Assassins creed
COD
Fallout or skyrim
Sea of thieves
Dead rising
-EA will be present with something (Dead space, Mass effect or something else). I also expect Madden and EA FC. Maybe we finally get NHL or college Football?!
Persona 3 Reload
SMT V upgraded edition

I still think FFVIIR is coming as well. But we will see with the exclusivity thing.

I also am 100% convinced MS and Xbox have another surprise for Nintendo. What it is, I don’t know.

Hopefully either Halo MCC or maybe a collection of all the Goldeneye versions in one package. The Xbox version, the canceled Xbla version and the Activision remake all with Online play.

Last edited:

K' Dash

They will sell Mario Kart 8 Complete Edition with some visual enhancements for $70 and it will sell 50 million 😂

Because engines are very scalable now, and most games released nowadays can be easily ported across a number of platforms. Also it’s been pretty well-reported by now that we’re talking about PS4+ level power along with all the modern tech layered on top of that. Besides, many games still release on PS4, to this day.
Uhm.. Most games..? No. It's a bold claim. I'll believe it when I see it.

Woopah

This is something people forget about the Wii U which is why I don't understand why so many people assumed lack of software was the reason it failed.

Nintendo not understanding that the Wii, regardless of selling over one hundred million units, was not a console people played throughout it's life. Most people played Wii sports, and Mario Kart and then used it for netflex. Attaching the Wii U with the Wii in marketing hurt it bad from day one. Causing confusion among the casual crowd they wanted so badly. Wii already had several games and accessories with that name in it so the successor having Wii in the name also confused them. Why would they want a $300 tablet to a system they don't play anymore.

The Switch doesn't have that problem, people still play games on their Switch. Software sales on the Switch absolutely trounce the Wii's and new games still sale over a million copies even 8 years later. So I can see it playing out better from Switch to Switch successor than Wii to Wii U when it comes to 3rd party games. They just have to jump on that launch Window.
The average Wii owner bought 8 games so it's software sales weren't terrible or anything, but it's definitely true that Nintendo failed to maintain momentum.

This hasn't been such an issue for Switch due to better first party and third party support.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Sure, a bunch of old AAA games already on other platforms. The big question will be if there’s any exclusive third party games.

Switch 2 about to get all the games from the past 7 years the first Switch couldn't run.
Remember is the PSP3 is real and plays PS4 games primarily, then Switch 2, Xbox handheld, and PSP3 will easily get a shared ton of ports. They will also probably get a ton of AA games since it would presumably be cheaper to create a PS4/Switch 2 game than a PS5/PS6 game.

This is just my opinion, but imo. If Xbox Handheld, PSP3, and Switch 2 are all REAL and are approximately the same power, or range of power…I think The handhelds combined sales will CRUSH the sales of strictly consoles in comparison. Assuming this is true, it will be interesting to see which path developers decide to develop for. Big 4 handhelds, Sony, MS, Nintendo, Steamdeck or Consoles.

I think you will see a shift from console to handhelds, possibly permanently.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Oof. They need to be careful with that.

But, it's Nintendo EPD Tokyo team we're talking about. The same people that made Galaxy and Odyssey. Masters of their craft, at the top of their game. Not like I'm actually worried about it not turning out 10/10. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Doesn't need to be "properly open world" but Bowser's Fury was clearly a blueprint and it ruled. Overdue a new 3D Mario at this point. All signs point to Switch 2 launching with a slight reinvention of what 3D Mario is.

Top Bottom