• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin

Alright after revisiting the launch pricing of the Wii U. I would say $300 for Deluxe and $250 for basic. That is a fair guess. It won't be less though.

Platy

https://twitter.com/Nirbion/status/816050615352758272
VEAbT2W.gif

Quoting for the new page because it is awesome

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I would like to see Nintendo do the right thing and sell it at cost, not for profit and not at a loss. They need to get people back into their ecosystem and move software; this is what is most important.
Ultimately, because of the JoyCons, I don't see a base model being under 249$.

Neoxon

This is what I'm expecting.

Nintendo Switch: Basic Bundle - $249.99 USD, including...
  • Nintendo Switch Console (32GB of internal storage)
  • Joy-Con (L) & Joy-Con (R)
  • Joy-Con Grip
  • Nintendo Switch Dock

Nintendo Switch: Deluxe Bundle - $299.99 USD, including...
  • Nintendo Switch Console (64GB of internal storage)
  • Joy-Con Grip
  • Nintendo Switch Dock
  • Splatoon Switch

Kevin

Yeah I can't see Nintendo launching Switch without at least a 3D Mario or Zelda or some equally as large title. It would be in bad form to launch the system with only a Wii U port and I can't see them doing that. I hope not!

Net

Yeah I can't see Nintendo launching Switch without at least a 3D Mario or Zelda or some equally as large title. It would be in bad form to launch the system with only a Wii U port and I can't see them doing that. I hope not!

I personally expect one or the other but not both.

Scrawnton

My prediction:

$250 - 32GB, Comes with Tablet, Joycons and base.
$300 - 64GB, Comes with Tablet, Joycons, base and a pack in game. Maybe Mario Kart

Edit: I revised my deluxe pricing after revisiting the Wii U launch pricing structure.

Ultimately, because of the JoyCons, I don't see a base model being under 249$.

I don't think it will be under $250 either; however, I think they should sell it as low as they can and make most of their profit off of extra joycons. Give people a reason to buy different attachments and make most of your profit there.

Boke1879

• Joy-Con Grip
  • Nintendo Switch Dock

• Joy-Con Grip
  • Nintendo Switch Dock
  • Splatoon Switch

You don't think they'll have a bundle with Mario or Zelda? I know Splatoon Switch bundle would move units and invest people in MP. But I just can't see them NOT bundling Mario or Zelda

antonz

Yeah I agree. I also think marketing, and content were the other big factors

Yeah I think Nintendo at some point realized they were stuck on the Wii U. By arriving late and having its features no longer special they really lost control of any potential message they could have had.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

• Joy-Con Grip
  • Nintendo Switch Dock

• Joy-Con Grip
  • Nintendo Switch Dock
  • Splatoon Switch

This is what I'm thinking/hoping, but I'm not so sure the Joy-Con Grip will be packed in. That might be a deluxe only thing, if at all. I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to skimp on something like that.

Neoxon

You don't think they'll have a bundle with Mario or Zelda? I know Splatoon Switch bundle would move units and invest people in MP. But I just can't see them NOT bundling Mario or Zelda
Mario & Zelda (whichever launches with the Switch) are basically guaranteed to sell on their own. There's no real need to bundle either of them with the Switch, as it would basically be Nintendo taking their own money.

you don't bundle games that everybody buys anyway.

Starting to think 3D Mario is not gonna be out on launch and I'm totally fine with that if Zelda can come out.

what makes you say that? i mean appart from common sense and logic.

Neoxon

This is what I'm thinking/hoping, but I'm not so sure the Joy-Con Grip will be packed in. That might be a deluxe only thing, if at all. I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to skimp on something like that.
The Joy-Con Grip is kinda needed for the console experience while at home, especially since there's no way of keeping the Joy-Cons charged while the Switch itself is docked.

Plum

I doubt it; it's literally the second part of the console we see in the trailer and it's in all of the promotional material (whereas the pro controller isn't). Having to sell those seperately would also further confuse/anger customers as it would, along with the Pro controller and new/possibly differently designed Joy-Cons, but another accessory to buy.

Vic

There's barely any electronic components in that thing. It should included in every Switch SKUs.
The Joy-Con Grip is kinda needed for the console experience while at home, especially since there's no way of keeping the Joy-Cons charged while the Switch itself is docked.
And this.

BiggNife

I don't really think Zelda and Mario at launch would be cannibalizing each others' sales

If people only get one of the games at launch, then they'll just get the other one later. Mario and Zelda are series that are both super well known for having long legs.

Neoxon

I don't really think Zelda and Mario at launch would be cannibalizing each others' sales

If people only get one of the games at launch, then they'll just get the other one later. Mario and Zelda are series that are both super well known for having long legs.
It won't for long-term sales, but it definitely will for short-term launch sales, which would decrease the sales potential for both as a whole. That plus Mario & Zelda both being Day 1 would completely overshadow the third party games at launch, which is bad for the Switch's potential third party support going forward.

Raet

Zelda is a Wii U port as well.

Kevin

Yeah I don't know. Bundling a Wii U port with a new system seems a bit tacky but who knows. I would love a cool Zelda bundle but I feel like they are going to want to sell that separately as it's their big game.

ultrazilla

Are we really back to the system being super weak and under powered again? No way I believe Nintendo would repeat that mess after the Wii U being "under powered".

Just bring on the conference. I think we'll be just fine.

Neoxon

Are we really back to the system being super weak and under powered again? No way I believe Nintendo would repeat that mess after the Wii U being "under powered".

Considering that it's Eurogamer who reported on it, there's little reason to doubt them in terms of the clock speeds. Either way, it's still a decent step up from the Wii U.

Yado

Every time I see the multiple bundle (as in bundles with more storage, not different games) thing it just seems like a bad idea to me. Associating a premium price with their product and splitting initial buyers just doesn't seem wise coming off of the Wii U.

Alpha_eX

Undertale can't be ported straight to console, anyone who has actually finished it will know that.

Great for TobyFox if it does, but it's old hat now, with very limited appeal as a launch title for new players.

Vic

Considering that it's Eurogamer who reported on it, there's little reason to doubt them in terms of the clock speeds. Either way, it's still a decent step up from the Wii U.
The low clock speed reported by EG are useless without more info about the architecture of the system.

your comparing a story heavy open world game to a multiplayer game.
if you introduce new gameplay elements, new modes, stages and weapons--- that's basically all you need for a proper sequel.
Yep. I'm so sick of people calling Splatoon 2 a port. Its a sequel! It has new stuff which makes it a sequel, not a enhanced port. Literally everything in the footage was new. ITS A FUCKING SEQUEL!!

To be honest I don't care about graphics like I use to. I just mainly care about seeing games at the conference. Like Nintendo ips as well as Japanese third party games. Everything else is a bonus.

Bring on the Switch.

Plum

Every time I see the multiple bundle (as in bundles with more storage, not different games) thing it just seems like a bad idea to me. Associating a premium price with their product and splitting initial buyers just doesn't seem wise coming off of the Wii U.

I don't see it as being much different than the premium/basic SKU system we've been seeing for almost 10 years now. PS4s have the PS4 500gb, PS4 1tb and then the PS4 Pro; for the Xbox One S it'll be the same come Scorpio's release. With the 3DS even you've got 5 different models (not including colours) and that hasn't caused much confusion. £50 for more storage capacity, a pack-in game and probably some other random extras won't confuse the consumer that much.

...though I hope they don't make them a different colour like they did the Wii U.

Yep. I'm so sick of people calling Splatoon 2 a port. Its a sequel! It has new stuff which makes it a sequel, not a enhanced port. Literally everything in the footage was new. ITS A FUCKING SEQUEL!!

agreed, if you actually look at the footage they're very different. not like MK where it's literally the same track. i think they'll slap a 2 on it.

new stages
new modes
new designs
reworked 'launch feature' due to no gamepad
new clothes
new weapons
maybe new SP?

that's a sequel.

Debirudog

I think it's gonna be a sequel for the most part. Like SMG2, where Nintendo sells it as a "90 percent new, 10 percent old" kind of deal.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

I certainly think people are going to have to redefine what they consider a port with these Switch titles if they continue to use that term to describe them, including Mario Kart Switch.

I don't see it as being much different than the premium/basic SKU system we've been seeing for almost 10 years now. PS4s have the PS4 500gb, PS4 1tb and then the PS4 Pro; for the Xbox One S it'll be the same come Scorpio's release. £50 for more storage capacity, a pack-in game and probably some other random extras won't confuse the consumer that much.

...though I hope they don't make them a different colour like they did the Wii U.

I believe he's talking about at first launch of the hardware. Nintendo is the only one this gen that had more than one SKU to choose from (8 or 32GB). Microsoft and Sony both launched with just the 500GB models.

thefro

agreed, if you actually look at the footage they're very different. not like MK where it's literally the same track. i think they'll slap a 2 on it.

new stages
new modes
new designs
reworked 'launch feature' due to no gamepad
new clothes
new weapons
maybe new SP?

that's a sequel.

Splatoon on Switch will probably have more new content than the average Madden or Fifa yearly update.

My prediction:

$250 - 32GB, Comes with Tablet, Joycons and base.
$300 - 64GB, Comes with Tablet, Joycons, base and a pack in game. Maybe Mario Kart

Edit: I revised my deluxe pricing after revisiting the Wii U launch pricing structure.

I'm looking online and I see 32GB SSDs for $25, with 64GB at $35, and 120GB at $10 more. It really should be Nintendo's best interest for consumers to have the 120GB SSD for the $300 bundle. $50 for an extra 32GB of storage + an old port(particularly about a game I could care about like splatoon), is bleh.

Kevin

I'm looking online and I see 32GB SSDs for $25, with 64GB at $35, and 120GB at $10 more. It really should be Nintendo's best interest for consumers to have the 120GB SSD for the $300 bundle. $50 for an extra 32GB of storage + an old port(particularly about a game I could care about like splatoon), is bleh.

lol it's Nintendo. 64GB is the best I think we can hope for.

Taker666

Agreed. Just stick to the one lowest priced bundle. You don't want people to feel they have a choice between the gimped version and a version that costs more than they want to spend (see Wii U). Keep things simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom