• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donnie

Apparently "there are ways", but honestly I can't think of any. Nintendo's a publicly traded business, the 3DS's original price having to be cut caused Iwata and many other executives to lower their salaries, Kimishima himself has said that price was a major part of the Wii U's failure. Whilst it may not be £150-£200 low it will definitely be nowhere near the Wii U or possibly even the 3DS at launch.

"Can be found for" is not the same as retail price.. You can bet no matter what Switch's retail price is some stores will be selling it cheaper, same thing happened with 3DS (even pre-order you could shop around and get significant money off).

Yado

I believe he's talking about at first launch of the hardware. Nintendo is the only one this gen that had more than one SKU to choose from (8 or 32GB). Microsoft and Sony both launched with just the 500GB models.

Yep, that's why I said initial buyers. I don't mind revisions, different bundles with different games etc. but for launch I think it should be kept as simple as possible.

Raet

I'm looking online and I see 32GB SSDs for $25, with 64GB at $35, and 120GB at $10 more. It really should be Nintendo's best interest for consumers to have the 120GB SSD for the $300 bundle. $50 for an extra 32GB of storage + an old port(particularly about a game I could care about like splatoon), is bleh.
Yup, I think I'll get the basic bundle as well. Not that interested in Splatoon anyway.

The low clock speed reported by EG are useless without more info about the architecture of the system.
1.5x Wii u undocked, and the docked power is just going to be wasted entirely on increasing resolution from 720p to 1080p. No difference in frame rate stability, lighting, shadows, resolution, etc because Nintendo wants to make it easier for devs.

Wii u to Switch is like 360--->Wii U, except the CPU isn't actually gimped and and 720p games will be 1080p. Switch will really be a master of non hybrid console. I mean, I get the hybrid thing, but Nintendo is too cheap to make the switch future proof as a console by giving it a bit of extra power and possibly 16nm Pascal.. They demand on profits from day one for the console.

I almost hope they go 28 or 20nm with a 32-64GB storage $300 price just to see them fail. Almost.

Plum

I believe he's talking about at first launch of the hardware. Nintendo is the only one this gen that had more than one SKU to choose from (8 or 32GB). Microsoft and Sony both launched with just the 500GB models.

I can see what you mean there, it might cause a bit of confusion but I just don't think it will be as bad as some may think. Nintendo just needs to get the messaging right, I don't think they did that with the Wii U (the colour was quite a big factor I think).

oti

Banned
Every time I see the multiple bundle (as in bundles with more storage, not different games) thing it just seems like a bad idea to me. Associating a premium price with their product and splitting initial buyers just doesn't seem wise coming off of the Wii U.
I get what you mean but for Splatoon as a franchise this could be amazing. High player count on Day One. Community always active. Fresh IP with mass market appeal.
If the Switch does indeed have a capacitive multitouch screen, they need something that can mimic that functionality when you're using it on a TV. A pair of motion controllers is the most obvious solution.
What? How? Wiggle to tap the screen?

have you seen the Hopman Cup today?

Bencic will have her first GS way before OBE1 has an actual source for rumours.

I TRIED but I couldn't keep my eyes off Husbanderer. 😍

jmizzal

What are we expecting in the Switch Premium bundle back

Splatoon and 128 GB SD card

What else?

One rumor said it wouldnt have Pro controller

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
1.5x Wii u undocked, and the docked power is just going to be wasted entirely on increasing resolution from 720p to 1080p. No difference in frame rate stability, lighting, shadows, resolution, etc because Nintendo wants to make it easier for devs.

Wii u to Switch is like 360--->Wii U, except the CPU isn't actually gimped and and 720p games will be 1080p. Switch will really be a master of non hybrid console.
I'm wondering how you can quantify how better (or even worse, who knows) the Switch GPU will perform compared to the Wii U's when we barely have any info about the system specification.

What are we expecting in the Switch Premium bundle back

Splatoon and 128 GB SD card

What else?

One rumor said it wouldnt have Pro controller
If its a $50 price difference, no pro controller if there's already splatoon and more storage. I don't have much faith if any about Nintendo increasing memory to 128GB if base is 32GB, for $50. Especially a separate micro SD of 128GB when increasing SSD is more cheaper.

Neoxon

I'm saying an extra SD card to go with the internal memory lol
And what we're saying is that the Switch probably isn't gonna include a 128GB SD card with either bundle.

If its a $50 price difference, no pro controller if there's already splatoon and more storage. I don't have much faith if any about Nintendo increasing memory to 128GB if base is 32GB, for $50. Especially a separate micro SD of 128GB when increasing SSD is more cheaper.
To be fair, you can't really put a SSD into something like the Switch. Perhaps you could for the dock if it was designed to do so (which I doubt), but that would kinda go against the whole hybrid selling point.

jmizzal

How about a limited edition Zelda Bundle

$350
Extras are, pro controller, BotW amiibo, and what ever else is in the premium bundle

By limited meaning you better preorder fast

I'm wondering how you can quantify how better (or even worse, who knows) the Switch GPU will perform compared to the Wii U's when we barely have any info about the system specification.
Just assuming eurogamer is right with two SMs.

Every time we come out thinking of a powerful Nintendo console, it comes out the opposite and ends up at least being half as powerful. Remember the WUST days for Wii U? Nintendo doesn't care about power, and is trying too hard to be Apple while MS and Sony are willing to sell at a loss at launch and make incredibly affordable deals for consumers. I mean maybe it would work for Nintendo if they had Apple's brand recognition and they had tons of 3rd party support and selling left and right. But nope.

Mithos

Gold Member
This is what I'm expecting.

Nintendo Switch: Basic Bundle - $249.99 USD, including...
  • Nintendo Switch Console (32GB of internal storage)
  • Joy-Con (L) & Joy-Con (R)
  • Joy-Con Grip
  • Nintendo Switch Dock

Nintendo Switch: Deluxe Bundle - $299.99 USD, including...
  • Nintendo Switch Console (64GB of internal storage)
  • Joy-Con Grip
  • Nintendo Switch Dock
  • Splatoon Switch

If I get these prices that would be "ok" I guess, but I expect $50-75 higher price when it lands in Sweden, so I'll have to wait until price is lower.

And what we're saying is that the Switch probably isn't gonna include a 128GB SD card with either bundle.

To be fair, you can't really put a SSD into something like the Switch. Perhaps you could for the dock if it was designed to do so (which I doubt), but that would kinda go against the whole hybrid selling point.
It's coming with an SSD like the Wii U is, as the rumors are implying, is it not?

J@hranimo

Banned
Honestly for Splatoon Switch, I'm now imagining the same base game for the most part with some new maps and a new local multiplayer mode. Battle Dojo literally takes up data for this game lol. Personally I'd love more for the single player mode, there could be many more level ideas they could cram in a la Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Plum

How about a limited edition Zelda Bundle

$350
Extras are, pro controller, BotW amiibo, and what ever else is in the premium bundle

By limited meaning you better preorder fast

If it has some sort of Sheikah scribing/imagery on it then "limited" means "you will not get one."

...but I would definitely try!

J@hranimo

Banned
Dammit..Mass Effect Andromeda is not planned for Switch...

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/mass-effect-andromeda-not-planned-for-nintendo-swi/1100-6446569/

Switch is looking more and more like a repeat of the Wii U when it comes to 3rd party software. I'd love to buy one, but I'm not getting another Nintendo console that lacks the 3rd party games I want to play.

Eh, instead of repeating info we've heard so far about the Switch, just wait for someone else to quote you in this thread or just watch Jan. 12th presentation.

As an euro sufferer I would be understand Zelda being delayed in Euro land.
Just give us something nice in exchange.
I would settle with a Mario Sunshine '17.

Plum

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/mass-effect-andromeda-not-planned-for-nintendo-swi/1100-6446569/

Switch is looking more and more like a repeat of the Wii U when it comes to 3rd party software..

Ah yes, I remember when From Software was on the Wii U's list of confirmed developers. There was also that time Epic publicly said that there were "lots" of Unreal Engine games coming to the platform. Don't let me forget about all those Bethesda games for the console!

Sarcasm aside no it's not a repeat of the Wii U when it comes to 3rd party software. Not that that means it will be on par with the PS4 and X1, or that it will get massive Western AAA games like ME:A and RDR2, just that there are many things pointing to it not being the case.

Neoxon

Switch is looking more and more like a repeat of the Wii U when it comes to 3rd party software. I'd love to buy one, but I'm not getting another Nintendo console that lacks the 3rd party games I want to play.
As mentioned numerous times before, the audience that buys games like Mass Effect & Red Dead Redemption aren't really on Nintendo platforms (& haven't been for a long time). Even for the former, ME3 didn't sell very well on the Wii U (granted, the port was eh, but other sub-par ports sold at least decently at launch). Those of us who do want those games likely already have another console (PS4 or XB1) or a powerful PC to satisfy those needs (I know, RDR2 isn't on PC right now, but you get the idea).

That said, this is mainly concerning Western third party support. Japanese third party support will likely be much better compared to the Wii U by virtue of the Switch being Nintendo's main platform (a combined effort of their console & handheld teams).

Ah yes, I remember when From Software was on the Wii U's list of confirmed developers. There was also that time Epic publicly said that there were "lots" of Unreal Engine games coming to the platform. Don't let me forget about all those Bethesda games for the console!

Sarcasm aside no it's not a repeat of the Wii U when it comes to 3rd party software. Not that that means it will be on par with the PS4 and X1, just that there are many things pointing to it not being the case.
That was from Epic Games' Japan branch, which lines up with Japanese support being on-point for the Switch.

Discomurf

This is what I'm expecting.

Nintendo Switch: Basic Bundle - $249.99 USD, including...
  • Nintendo Switch Console (32GB of internal storage)
  • Joy-Con Grip
  • Nintendo Switch Dock

Nintendo Switch: Deluxe Bundle - $299.99 USD, including...
  • Nintendo Switch Console (64GB of internal storage)
  • Joy-Con Grip
  • Nintendo Switch Dock
  • Splatoon Switch

Seems a likely guess except I think in addition they will introduce a subscription service and offer a trial in the deluxe SKU as well. I also think there may be a third SKU..

Nintendo Switch: Deluxe VR Bundle - $349.99 USD, including...
  • Nintendo Switch Console (128GB of internal storage)
  • Joy-Con Grip
  • Nintendo Switch Dock
  • Nintendo VR Headset
  • Nintendo VR experience game/demo ... perhaps something like Wii Sports 3 (or would it be 4?)
  • 3 months of new subscription service

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I just want some big, interesting software for launch and since we don't know shit about the lineup Zelda is the most obvious candidate even if it's a port.

Mario maybe but I wasn't overly hot in SM3DW and would prefer something akin to Galaxy.

Ideally a fresh, surprising game like ZombiU was.

Leizt

Neo Member
Do not forget that the UK is now out of the EU and a lot of stuff got overpriced there like Macbooks... this price £299-350 may not be reflected in other territories.

If you feel this strongly about one port by a PS4, that is exactly why I own my PS4 after being Nintendo only hardware owner before my Wii U forced me to change my ways.

Unless you enjoy melting down each new Nintendo hardware release.

Neoxon

Seems a likely guess except I think in addition they will introduce a subscription service and offer a trial in the deluxe SKU as well. I also think there may be a third SKU..

• Joy-Con Grip
  • Nintendo Switch Dock
  • Nintendo VR Headset
  • Nintendo VR experience game/demo ... perhaps something like Wii Sports 3 (or would it be 4?)
  • What kind of subscription service? Nintendo doesn't really have the third party support to justify us paying for online.
  • I wouldn't buy too much into the VR statements, especially when Laura apparently said that she didn't vet such statements.
  • No Splatoon Switch for that bundle?
  • Even disregarding any rumors, how would VR work with a 720p screen? Would the VR headset itself have its own (1080p+) screen & some extra horsepower to power said VR experience?

J@hranimo

Banned

• Joy-Con Grip
  • Nintendo Switch Dock
  • Nintendo VR Headset

Alright so, this is different.

Why do you think there will be a subscription service and what kind of service?

Plum

That was from Epic Games' Japan branch, which lines up with Japanese support being on-point for the Switch.

Of course, I was mainly using it as an example that it won't just be a repeat of last time. Wii U barely even had Japanese support after the first year or so.

I still think a port of Mass Effect Trilogy would have done well at Wii U's launch.

hell, I think a port of ME Trilogy at Switch's launch might do ok.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Just assuming eurogamer is right with two SMs.

Everytime we come out thinking of a piwerful Nintendo console, it comes out the opposite and ends up at least being half as powerful. Nintendo doesn't care about power and is trying too hard to be Apple while MS and Sony are giving out good deals left and right and are playing cuthroat.
The Tegra X1 wasn't designed to run current high-end games. It's main market is the Automation/Deep Leaning industry (embedded CUDA/GPGPU calculations) so it's not a SoC optimized for gaming. Those clocks speeds are useless without knowing how Nintendo' SoC has been designed.

Neoxon

with all these leaks it is hard to tell what people are posting here as speculation or copy pasting new leaks

label your shits people :(
My bundle listing was speculation based on what was leaked ($250-300, Splatoon Switch included in the Deluxe Bundle, 32GB for the Basic Bundle, etc.). 64GB for the Deluxe Bundle is just my educated guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom