• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if Zelda doesn't make it in Europe, I expect something to fill the gap. But it seems very unlikely... I mean, that would be HUGE.
Still, a region free console would allow me to buy the NA version asap.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Last Zelda game to be "delayed" for localisation purposes was Phantom Hourglass, though PALands and the Americas had similar launch dates, so it was just a delay compared to the Japanese release. Last delay between the Americas and PALands was Four Sword Adventures. Since then they've been rather good at getting the Zelda games out within a week of each other worldwide.

Regarding the other topic I've seen above, don't hate on NoE doing its own English translation, it's nice to have some games with words spelt correctly. Also, its sometimes the only way we've gotten some titles, or do you all wish for a world we didn't get Xenoblade suddenly?

Am I the only one who doesn't care at all about release dates for games? As long as I know it's coming and I'll get to play it eventually, I'm fine. Maybe I'm a casual. You guys act like you all have terminal illnesses that will prevent you from playing Zelda if it's delayed. There's always going to be countless games I haven't played to fill in the gaps, and in this case I know there are a lot of unannounced Switch games that will excite me from now until then as well.

Here's hoping that a EU Zelda delay means you guys will get Mario before us selfish American ;)

Kouriozan

Same, would buy the NoA version if it's not there at the same time, even if it don't have French translation but I know they already do it for Quebec.

So Mario is basically done then? I wonder if they'll release it in Europe at launch if BotW is delayed.

I think there was an incident where a Wii games used a word that was an offensive slur in either the US or UK version, which scared Nintendo to their bone.

Maybe it's less time consuming for both branches to start translating right after the japanese script is dumped in their laps, rather than Treehouse doing the english one for the US and someone in europe going through that version to change stuff for the UK ?

I honestly don't know. It is definitely a waste of ressources.

I think it was Mario Party 8, though I didn't know that was the reason. The scripts are usually the same, some lines are just slightly changed, which makes less sense. A good example is Mario Kart 7, where NoE changed literally half of the new track names in English for no reason. Some of the kart names in MK7 and MK8 are changed as well.

Neoxon

So Mario is basically done then? I wonder if they'll release it in Europe at launch if BotW is delayed.
According to Tom Phillips, the 3D Mario game is basically done. Though Nintendo opting to patch in the missing languages for BotW at a later date seems to be the more likely course of action than releasing Mario early in Europe as compensation.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Regarding the other topic I've seen above, don't hate on NoE doing its own English translation, it's nice to have some games with words spelt correctly.
exactly.

But about the Zelda rumours..this is really something I'll sit out until next friday. I'm pretty sure we will know then what we will get in europe on release day.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
UK guys can relax: It's region free. Just pick up the US copy :)

Amazon.com stock of Zelda to be sold out in a matter of seconds.

Even if the console is region free, the eshop can be still fuck up in so many ways and importing physical means paying more for the game than anybody else.

No, the only reasonable solution for this is to launch the English version and patch out the other languages later. Although that would create a potential issue at retail. But it's not the only game to have a retail launch and support just English.

Zoon

To those who import from NA, how much time does it usually take? I've bought a few stuff from UK and it takes about 20-30 days to be delivered.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
To those who import from NA, how much time does it usually take? I've bought a few stuff from UK and it takes about 20-30 days to be delivered.

with amazon.com and world wide priority shipping? 2-4 days.

my orders from amazon.co.jp usually don't take longer than 3-4days.

Is the world launch confirmed at all? Maybe Zelda is now rumoured as a launch game now that Nintendo has dropped Europe from the initial launch date.
Just saying.

KingBroly

Banned
This is interesting. I've been one thinking that Mario and Zelda couldn't launch on the same day, but if Zelda may not be there for Europe then they're obviously going to need a heavy hitter in its place. So, maybe Nintendo is going all in afterall.

It sounds absolutely insane for them to do so.

But as a fan, my mouth is watering, and my wallet is crying at the possibility.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Is the world launch confirmed at all? Maybe Zelda is now rumoured as a launch game now that Nintendo has dropped Europe from the initial launch date.
Just saying.

Well their world premier for everyone gave March 2017 as the release date. If they didn't intend that to come across as a worldwide launch during the same month they could have easily just not included that at the end.

brucelito

Regarding Zelda and possible later launch in EU. Could a digital strategy be a solution for EU - to be able to download the US-version through e-shop?

El Topo

They're not going to launch Zelda at retail in Europe without all languages available. The idea that Nintendo would make BotW their sole big flagship title for marketing if its launch was in doubt seems ridiculous.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Just release Zelda at launch in UK/Ireland and Scandinavia and let the others wait.

tVDeVMB.gif

Kolx

Why is there no separate thread for the zelda news yet? I'd open one but considering there is no thread yet I'd suspect there is a problem with the source or the news.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Maybe it's worth pre-ordering Zelda BoW from amazon.co.uk as soon as they put it up. Just as a precaution.

Why there is no separate thread for the zelda news yet? I'd open one but considering there is no thread I'd suspect there is problem with the source or the news.

Shouldn't be any problem with the source, it's Eurogamer. I guess everybody was either lazy or didn't want to start a potential backfiring Nintendo thread.

But go on, it should be a new thread for it, it's quite important news.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Why is there no separate thread for the zelda news yet? I'd open one but considering there is no thread yet I'd suspect there is a problem with the source or the news.

Probably because most people here feel like I do? that we knew that info for the last days and the only thing we can do is wait until next friday to see what was rumour and what is real >>

HylianTom

Banned
At this point, folks considering waiting outside for a few hours on the 13th might want to start keeping an eye on the extended weather forecast..

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Oh, hahaha! The GI article is even worse than I imagined. Oh, God. It is a retelling of what was shown at The Game Awards. Someone sat and made a play by play of the trailer and the gameplay part.

3a0.gif

Everyone's saying the Switch needs a killer app for launch like Mario or Zelda but I'd rather have splatoon/mario kart ports then the 3DS launch where they didn't have a killer app at all except pilotwings.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Oh, hahaha! The GI article is even worse than I imagined. Oh, God. It is a retelling of what was shown at The Game Awards. Someone sat and made a play by play of the trailer and the gameplay part.

3a0.gif

Any particular quotes that stands out?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Any particular quotes that stands out?

Stands out is too much, but this part is pretty dramatic:

"The camera then pans to an area that has been left in ruin. Puddles of the dark magic substance have formed. Link overlooks the devastation from a ledge - a mysterious sparkling force surrounds him. The trailer ends with Link sitting on the ground looking defeated, and what looks like Zelda standing next to him with a close-up of her clenching fist."

The end.

evanmisha

Stands out is too much, but this part is pretty dramatic:

"The camera then pans to an area that has been left in ruin. Puddles of the dark magic substance have formed. Link overlooks the devastation from a ledge - a mysterious sparkling force surrounds him. The trailer ends with Link sitting on the ground looking defeated, and what looks like Zelda standing next to him with a close-up of her clenching fist."

The end.

Boy, I knew print journalism was hurting, but printing a dramatic retelling of a trailer? Ouch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom