• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AniHawk

Hmmm I wouldn't count that out actually. Don't know if it'll be presented at this event but expect a google cardboard type VR solution at some point down the road. That's what I've heard recently anyway.

switch vr being a $20-$40 peripheral to basically sit the tablet part inside while you use the joycons to play the game would be a smart way to make the switch feel even more versatile and valuable. i wouldn't be surprised if they did something like that - the design of the machine certainly makes it possible and the rumored feedback/motion controls would make a lot more sense.

NateDrake

switch vr being a $20-$40 peripheral to basically sit the tablet part inside while you use the joycons to play the game would be a smart way to make the switch feel even more versatile and valuable. i wouldn't be surprised if they did something like that - the design of the machine certainly makes it possible.

VR for Switch is at least being explored and experimented with, as is my understanding of it things. So the rumors and talk of VR for Switch are not unfounded.

Whether we see RE7 VR type experiences is an entirely different matter. I think getting some of the Gear VR type games and even interactive experiences on the Switch eShop for VR would be an interesting path for them to take. Something like SuperShot VR would be a cool release for the platform.

hatchx

Banned
switch vr being a $20-$40 peripheral to basically sit the tablet part inside while you use the joycons to play the game would be a smart way to make the switch feel even more versatile and valuable. i wouldn't be surprised if they did something like that - the design of the machine certainly makes it possible and the rumored feedback/motion controls would make a lot more sense.

It would be ideal, but I thought rumours led us to believe the gyro and accellerometers were in the joy cons not the switch tablet itself? Also what level of graphical fidelity could we really expect? Could it even handle Super Mario 64 with VR-style camera?

I think 360-degree video applications, like the ones sold for 2$ on the WiiU, are more likely.

AniHawk

VR for Switch is at least being explored and experimented with, as is my understanding of it things. So the rumors and talk of VR for Switch are not unfounded.

Whether we see RE7 VR type experiences is an entirely different matter. I think getting some of the Gear VR type games and even interactive experiences on the Switch eShop for VR would be an interesting path for them to take. Something like SuperShot VR would be a cool release for the platform.

it's funny because it's the perfect kind of thing that the switch would be good for - taking the tablet/main part of the system and using it in other ways. i hadn't thought about why the need for better force feedback beyond just being neat, but this is definitely a logical approach towards an all-in-one consumer device that can be played in a variety of ways.

It would be ideal, but I thought rumours led us to believe the gyro and accellerometers were in the joy cons not the switch tablet itself? Also what level of graphical fidelity could we really expect? Could it even handle Super Mario 64 with VR-style camera?

I think 360-degree video applications, like the ones sold for 2$ on the WiiU, are more likely.

well yeah i would assume that was the case. i suppose there would need to be additional hardware in whatever headset was developed to address that. we already know the main dock of the system isn't completely dumb, so there might be a way to have it work on the tablet through a peripheral.

BreakAtmo

You know what I would love to see, but will never happen? A Switch DS peripheral/attachment. Basically, an upsized bottom-half of a New 3DS XL, with a higher resolution screen, an internal battery, Joy-Con connections instead of its own controls, a DS/3DS cart port, and a USB-C plug on the top to plug the Switch into. You would use it for up-rendered DS/3DS emulation, and devs would be free to include optional dual-screen functionality into their Switch games if they felt like it. It almost certainly won't happen though - besides the large size, it would be expensive due to the battery and the 'literally no-one else uses this' ~5" 960x720 resistive touchscreen. I also wonder if the Switch would be capable of emulating 3D games at higher resolutions in the same way that the PS4 emulates some PS2 games.

oti

Banned
You know what I would love to see, but will never happen? A Switch DS peripheral/attachment. Basically, an upsized bottom-half of a New 3DS XL, with a higher resolution screen, an internal battery, Joy-Con connections instead of its own controls, a DS/3DS cart port, and a USB-C plug on the top to plug the Switch into. You would use it for up-rendered DS/3DS emulation, and devs would be free to include optional dual-screen functionality into their Switch games if they felt like it. It almost certainly won't happen though - besides the large size, it would be expensive due to the battery and the 'literally no-one else uses this' ~5" 960x720 resistive touchscreen. I also wonder if the Switch would be capable of emulating 3D games at higher resolutions in the same way that the PS4 emulates some PS2 games.

Sounds like an ergonomical nightmare.

Neoxon

So what are you guys doing to kill the time?

As for me, it's a mix of Street Fighter V, Overwatch, & a bunch of anime that I missed last year (I'm currently on Drifters).

Oregano

Guess I was wrong about the new Shield using Pascal but it seems like a total waste of time to basically rerelease the same thing but with the Deus Ex controller.

EDarkness

Guess I was wrong about the new Shield using Pascal but it seems like a total waste of time to basically rerelease the same thing but with the Deus Ex controller.

I think it's a strange move, honestly. I'm not familiar with the original Shield TV, but did they update anything from the old version to the new version?

Neoxon

When an influx of news comes in, sometimes you can get stuff mixed up in the shuffle. No worries, it happens.

As for me, it's a mix of Street Fighter V, Overwatch, & a bunch of anime that I missed last year (I'm currently on Drifters).
Go back to school and work.

I got classes for the whole week this quarter(ugh). When I usually just had to take classes Tuesday Thursdays.

Then work Saturday & Sunday. 10-12 hours each of those days. Time will fly by for me

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but the new Shield is getting the following support from Ubi-Soft: For Honor, Watch Dogs 2, and AC: Syndicate. Also, The Witness, Tomb Raider, and Shadowgun Legends will be available at launch.

Considering the similar architecture with the Switch, it seems like a strong possibility that at least some of those could be Switch-bound, no?

Link:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.digi...-tv-at-ces-2017/amp/?client=ms-android-google

J@hranimo

Banned

Random breeding and battle tree grinding in Pokemon Sun, playing Shantae Half-Genie Hero and might try finish either Bastion or Mirror's Edge Catalyst from my backlog :p

Gotta make these 7 days go by not including work!

vern

Traveling as usual. That's why I can't wait for the Switch. iOS sucks and my 3DS I don't use as it hurts my hands...

I'm always flying here and there I can't wait to have a console on the go. Machine I've been waiting for. Games better deliver.

jdstorm

Banned

Man I really hope Nintendo make StarFox Zero in VR. Mapping the rubish gamepad FPS view to VR while keeping Veichle control via the Joycons would be great. Its a really natural fit.

oti

Banned

Seems to me that plans either changed along the way or this is more of a brand reminder, seeing how Nvidia and Nintendo will be in the news together with the Switch event.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

It seems kind of a pointless device indeed. It has some interesting ideas behind, like the integration with Google Assistant and acting as a Steam Link, but at this point one would be better off waiting for next year for a real upgrade.

Net

Does this suggest that there is indeed a problem with the Pascal Tegras?

If that is the case then I can't fault Nintendo (and I have) for going with Maxwell. They basically had no choice.

correojon

I just started Freedom Planet, finishing Twilight Princess HD and also started playing Yoshi´s Wooly World. YWW is a BEAUTIFUL game, I can´t help but put on a stupid grin everytime it´s on. Hope the Switch reveal is not too good...I need to clean my WiiU backlog before jumping into Switch so please Nintendo don´t make me go in day-one! XD

antonz

Does this suggest that there is indeed a problem with the Pascal Tegras?

Not really. It just ended up being a stopgap while they waited for Volta. Pascal tegra in the end is basically just a die shrunk Maxwell with a new memory system and other smaller tweaks.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

I'm currently playing through the Last Guardian, with Watch Dogs 2 next on the gaming agenda.

I also work 3 out of the next 4 days, each 12 hour shifts. That should go by (painfully) quick. Then the 9th is the NCAA college football championship which I'm excited for.

But once the 10th gets here I'll have nothing but Switchmas on my mind.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but the new Shield is getting the following support from Ubi-Soft: For Honor, Watch Dogs 2, and AC: Syndicate. Also, The Witness, Tomb Raider, and Shadowgun Legends will be available at launch.

Considering the similar architecture with the Switch, it seems like a strong possibility that at least some of those could be Switch-bound, no?

Link:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.digi...-tv-at-ces-2017/amp/?client=ms-android-google

interesting to read, thank you

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
It seems kind of a pointless device indeed. It has some interesting ideas behind, like the integration with Google Assistant and acting as a Steam Link, but at this point one would be better off waiting for next year for a real upgrade.
I may want one if it performs well with VR games. That would mean I could move my Vive to different places without having to bring my 30kg PC.

daffy

Banned
Traveling as usual. That's why I can't wait for the Switch. iOS sucks and my 3DS I don't use as it hurts my hands...

I'm always flying here and there I can't wait to have a console on the go. Machine I've been waiting for. Games better deliver.
Same. As much as i pretend that im at home playing console games, I'm really not. I sit in my bed or my couch and play 3DS. My Xbox... My poor Xbox. To be frank the Switch is going to be the one way i play console games anymore.

BreakAtmo

Sounds like an ergonomical nightmare.

How, specifically? I did think of some potential issues - for example, you'd need to make it rather thick with the JoyCons a bit further back to avoid the Switch covering up the top buttons or the triggers. And fitting the cart slot and the stylus slot might be a little difficult.

TLZ

Banned

Because the new version is in the Switch.

giphy.gif

I'm replaying Dark Souls 2. Already 30 hours in and still got 20 to go I believe.

I've waited so long for NX/Switch news that now I just don't care anymore that I have to wait. Ever since they announced the January 12th event, I've been very loose about it.

Beat as many backlogs on my wii u as possible by march. I need the will to beat them though.

Pikmin 3, bayonetta 2, and xenoblade chronicles x. Barely touched pikmin 3 and xenoblade x, and haven't even played bayonetta 2.

Also majora's mask on 3ds. /:

Rubixcuba

Banned
Can we talk about how catchy that White Denim song used in the Reveal Trailer was? Find myself singing that one on the walk to work - the funk!

Wonder what tunes Nintendo will go with when the all-out marketing begins?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Link:

This is interesting. I wonder how For Honor runs on it? That would mean that it should be easily portable to Switch too, unless the lower clocks require a lot more optimisation.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
This is interesting. I wonder how For Honor runs on it? That would mean that it should be easily portable to Switch too, unless the lower clocks require a lot more optimisation.

I really don't know how likely this is, but could ubisoft not just port their Shield versions of those games to the switch?

Nanashrew

Banned

Playing Tokyo Mirage Session for the first time and just beat chapter 4. Loving the game so far. Also AGDQ this Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom