• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

foltzie1

What I want to see is games that weren't possible to create before the Switch. The idea of the console being nothing more than a portable PS4/Wii U/Xbox One bores me.

Those systems were called the Wii and Wii U. One did well, the other not so much.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Those systems were called the Wii and Wii U. One did well, the other not so much.
I mostly had the DS in mind but hey, you're not wrong. The Joy Con is a gimmicky concept, but not to the extent of what we've seen in their 4 previous consoles.

MoonFrog

DS/3DS software continuance will be important to me, and I really hope it does. I'm okay with two screens being gone for the sake of hybrid, though.

Even Nintendo first party stuff, I feel they need smaller, experimental titles alongside their big guns and they often did that on handheld. That said, things like Captain Toad show they see place for that on a main console too.

18-Volt

Capcom will have multiple ports in Switch's first year. Rough first years on previous Nintendo systems:

It's impossible to predict what Capcom would do. But one thing is certain, they're not as rich and resourceful as western companies and likes of Square-enix, they can't just port everything they want. And they cannot take risks, financial failures hurt them more compared to others.

If Nintendo wants some Capcom games on Switch, they can make some agreement with them just like they did with Monster Hunter on 3DS. But MvCI and RE7 suggest that they're not in some agreement with Nintendo and they're making games with PS4 in mind. Difficult to port titles, they'll stay where they are just like Resident Evil 6 did. Plus, they have some titles for 3DS in 2017, it's very possible that they can sit Switch first year out.

But if they're planning to release some remasters in 2017, we might see them on Switch, but they have announced no remaster for 2017 for now.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
It's impossible to predict what Capcom would do. But one thing is certain, they're not as rich and resourceful as western companies and likes of Square-enix, they can't just port everything they want. And they cannot take risks, financial failures hurt them more compared to others.

If Nintendo wants some Capcom games on Switch, they can make some agreement with them just like they did with Monster Hunter on 3DS. But MvCI and RE7 suggest that they're not in some agreement with Nintendo and they're making games with PS4 in mind. Difficult to port titles, they'll stay where they are just like Resident Evil 6 did. Plus, they have some titles for 3DS in 2017, it's very possible that they can sit Switch first year out.

But if they're planning to release some remasters in 2017, we might see them on Switch, but they have announced no remaster for 2017 for now.
If it's indeed a relatively trivial task to make versions of their game for the Switch, I think it'll be a mistake to not release most if not all their portfolio of software on the platform.

sfried

Honestly I don't see why people want to play 3rd party games/ports on the Switch.

You have the PS4 for that.

Buy the Switch for the 1st party games, nothing else.
Because some people don't want to buy a PS4? They have a PC for that.

Plus taking it on-the-go with you.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Honestly I don't see why people want to play 3rd party games/ports on the Switch.

The same reason I wanted to play third party games on Vita. Portability. Plus if you want the best looking and running version of a game, PS4 isn't even the best option for multiplatform games...

Some Nobody

Down this road lies Nintendo eventually becoming a third party developer themselves.

The Switch could get away with a lot of extra third party support 'cause it's a portable system, and a lot of gamers find that appealing. This is a good thing.

Peru

Down this road lies Nintendo eventually becoming a third party developer themselves.

No it doesn't. Nintendo will maintain its position as a hardware manufacturer on the back of providing something very different to the the rest. Japanese games, Console experience. Not by getting the big EA and Ubi games. The market is already small for pretend-PCs. Offering a product that stands out. Not being another 3rd party machine. Western 3rd party support is a bonus, not a necessity.

MacTag

Banned

What will hurt Capcom most is not establishing a viable future home for Monster Hunter post-3DS. That franchise has been basically keeping them afloat the past several years and they need to ensure it continues.

I think we'll see Monster Hunter XX at launch in Japan, day and date with the 3DS version. We'll probably also get confirmation of MH5 being done ground up for Switch. Maybe other stuff too like Stories or Frontier Z ports early on.

MVCI doesn't look like a "difficult to port" title either imo. It's pretty unimpressive visually and runs on UE4. I could easily see a Switch port announced later for a release alongside the other versions, much like what happened with UMVC3 Vita. And maybe the UMVC3 remaster too.

As for other titles I can see DGS2 being a Switch game (platform wasn't confirmed yet afaik), and other AA games could easily be ported like the recent AA4 HD. RE7 is iffier as it's a custom engine but again the game doesn't look very visually impressive, probably due to PSVR limiting what can be done. Capcom's been going port and remaster happy with the older games too so digital or collection releases of those wouldn't be a surprise (REmake, RE0, RE4, RE5, RE6). Don't forget that by virtue of being a handheld as well older ports don't necessaurily carry the same stigma they might if Switch was a pure home console. Personally I'm hoping for Okami HD with touchscreen/motion support.

I think the most controversial possibility would be if Capcom can get a version of SFV out on Switch. That probably comes down what exactly their exclusivity deal with Sony entails but SSFIV was pretty huge on 3DS and really SFV could use all the help it can get regarding sales. There might be an opportunity here.

You can also bet on Capcom being big on whatever form Switch Virtual Console takes. I'm sure MM1-7, FF1-3, MMX1-3, BOF1-2, GNG/SGNG and multiple versions of SF2 are primed and ready for Drip Feed 4.0.

The first three Crash on a Nintendo system would feel surreal, for me. Logically though, it has a good chance of happening because they wouldn't want to miss a chance to call a major third-party game "exclusive," I guess.

Terrell

Isn't MvC3 and MvCI in collaboration with Sony though?

So, now that the year has ended and no announcements should come before the Switch event, I think it's a good time to pinpoint what third-party ports/simultaneous launch could get in 2017. So, I listed all the third-party games that aren't exclusives and from publishers that were on the official sheet. I don't think I missed anything major. I added in bold what I thought are likely or not, and feel free to quote the post to do the same.

Sure, I'll play. I'll also underline the ones I actually would want.

- Dragon Quest Builders (Square Enix) : DQ seems to do well with Nintendo, so perhaps, though they may skip over it in favour of the sequel that's likely coming
- Rise of the Tomb Raider 20th Anniversary (Square Enix): This ship has sailed
- Skylanders : Imaginators (Activision): I agree, Nintendo will not bother if the franchise won't continue
- Battlefield 1 (Electronic Arts): EA probably isn't considering porting old titles for launch
- Lego Harry Potter Collection (Traveller’s Tales): It's a Lego game. Duh.
- Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 (Bandai Namco): Licensed game, so sure.
- World of Final Fantasy (Square Enix): The ship has sailed and already sank.
- Berserk and the Band of Hawk (Koei Tecmo): Ditto.
- Titanfall 2 (Electronic Arts): As interesting as I find this game (and I'm not a first-person game fan), it's probably a no.
- Call of Duty : Infinite Warfare (Activision): Considering people don't even want it on other platforms, yeah, they'll probably skip it. Would be funny if Switch got Modern Warfare Remastered as a standalone game, though.
- Sword Art Online : Hollow Realization (Bandai Namco): No one would care by this point
- Dishonored 2 (Bethesda Softworks): I'm actually on the fence on this one, it's really a 50/50.
- Assassin’s Creeds : Ezio Collection (Ubisoft): Yeah, considering what it is, we're likely to see it.
- Watch Dogs 2 (Ubisoft): The game has good press, and it's Ubisoft, so they'll probably take a swing at it.
- Darksiders : Warmastered Edition (THQ Nordic): What else would they do?
- Final Fantasy XV (Square Enix): I can definitely understand why it's not happening, but I'll have to admit that I would want it to.
- Let it Die (Grasshooper Manufacture): As a F2P title, GungHo will want this on as many platforms as possible to maximize revenue. I don't have a good feeling about it, though.
- The Walking Dead Season 3 (Telltale Games): While it would be more appealing with all the previous seasons, this would be pretty sweet.
- Hatsune Miku : Project Diva Future Tone (SEGA): I will never quite understand why people care about these games, but they don't have enough pull after launch to justify a port when another one is right around the corner.
- Danganronpa V3 : Killing Harmony (Spike Chunsoft): Publisher has a couple of options, but I think this is the pony to bet on. Didn't think I'd like the series as much as I do.
- Valkyria : Azure Revolution (SEGA): Sega doesn't have much going for it outside of Sonic, and they'll want this to sell in Japan at a minimum; best way to do that is multiplat.
- Kingdom Heart HD 2.8 : Final Chapter Prologue (Square Enix): This is kind of a maybe for me... this being on Switch is really going to be dependent on what happens with KH3.
- Resident Evil 7 : Biohazard (Capcom): I have mixed feelings about this game due to the first-person nature of it, but... I'd rather it be there than not.
- Lego Worlds (Traveller’s Tales): Again, Lego game, duh.
- Musou Stars (Koei Tecmo): Yeah, sure, it's a Musou game.
- Nier : Automata (Square Enix / Platinum Games): It's a bit iffy from my perspective, but a very strong possibility nonetheless. Platinum already has the dev kits, so we'll see.
- Tom’s Clancy : Ghost Recon Wildlands (Ubisoft): As much as I'd prefer it not to be, yeah.
- Danganronpa 1+2 Reloaded (Spike Chunsoft): Shouldn't be an ordeal, and keeping all franchise entries together makes better sense than not.
- Persona 5 (Atlus): As mentioned, it's the only option for a portable release other than Vita, and... well, I'm sure Atlus would rather it actually sold its highest potential volume of units.
- Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (Activision): I'm going to say it's likely Sony will keep this for themselves, if at all possible, despite no spoken words on exclusivity.
- Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age (Square Enix): I'm of a different mind on this. Rather like X Remastered was on Vita, they're going to want it on a portable device to sell it. And without XV making the jump, SQE is going to want to see how a mainline FF that isn't an Famicom remake sells on a Nintendo device after all of these years.
- Injustice 2 (Warner Bros): NetherRealm and WB are going to sit this one if they can, and won't bring it to Switch unless the initial response to the platform makes it absolutely necessary.
- Lady Layton (Level 5): I think this is going to be part of the list of 3DS titles that will continue through the first year of the Switch's life cycle.
- Mass Effect : Andromeda (Electronic Arts): We'll see. I'm not hopeful.
- Marvel vs Capcom : Infinite (Capcom): Fighting games flourish better in multi-platform scenarios, and it's not exclusive. You can bet on it, from my perspective.
- Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 (Capcom): With Infinite being a ways away, this would be a simple way to signal to the fighting game community that Capcom's titles will be present on the platform.
- Metal Gear Survive (Konami): Not that anyone wants it, but Konami will likely not bother. Just like they should have not bothered with this game.
- Ni No Kuni II : Revenant Kingdom (Level-5): Bandai Namco has a strong relationship with Nintendo, so if it can port, it will.
- Prey (Bethesda Softworks): Ehh.
- Red Dead Redemption 2 (Take-Two): Rockstar will probably skip Switch with this and wait out the sales trend.
- Sonic Mania (SEGA): I... I don't know about this. Could happen, but if it were going to, probably would have announced it already.
- South Park : The Fractured But Whole (Ubisoft): It's going to depend on the release window, I think.
- Tekken 7 (Bandai Namco): Again, strong relationship with Nintendo, and Harada seems to be particularly in favour of giving Nintendo his creations.

Yeah, I think this will be the case. Vita+PS4 was a thing for a long time, with the closer parity between the two in terms of feature set and power devs can likely continue to have that similar output.
I worry if this might be a bad idea in the long run with Nintendo gaining multiplatform titles while losing more exclusives. I guess it wouldn't matter too much if Nintendo's own output can increase making up for the diminished number, though

Nintendo doesn't have the kind of leverage to net exclusives in the current climate. The best they can hope for is the take-off of viable multi-platform development in Japan, as that will strengthen the Japanese market, and I'm sure many a publisher in Japan will be thankful to Nintendo for that. If Switch succeeds in doing that, then I can see a possibility for that to occur.

I don't have a PS4. I'd love to be able to buy 1 device for my 3rd party games, handheld games, and Nintendo console games.

MoonFrog

No it doesn't. Nintendo will maintain its position as a hardware manufacturer on the back of providing something very different to the the rest. Japanese games, Console experience. Not by getting the big EA and Ubi games. The market is already small for pretend-PCs. Offering a product that stands out. Not being another 3rd party machine. Western 3rd party support is a bonus, not a necessity.

A lot of the third party titles being bandied about are Japanese though, at least the ones I'm paying attention to :p.

I think Switch has huge potential as regards Japanese third party games. I want it to see that potential through. I'd love a system that combined Nintendo, 3DS support, and some PS ecosystem support, particularly PS4/Vita stuff. All on the go.

Western third parties are gravy, gravy I don't care much about. The western games I like to play tend to be PC exclusive or at least PC oriented. I do think it is hard to predict how Switch will do with the west. Will it just attract the Nintendo/portable niche? Or will hybrid push out of that niche?

I don't see why anyone would like to play 3rd party on PS4. You have PC for that.

Switch at least has the portable aspect...

If I can avoid buying a PS4 I would prefer to do that because I don't play enough games to want to add extra clutter and the expense as well. If people can get all the games they want on one console why wouldn't they?

Xiao Hu

If I can avoid buying a PS4 I would prefer to do that because I don't play enough games to want to add extra clutter and the expense as well. If people can get all the games they want on one console why wouldn't they?

It's hard for many core gamers to understand that other's financial means might be limited to afford a second or even a third gaming platform. It also seems to be a difficult concept to grasp that a lot of people don't want to clutter their living rooms/areas with dedicated devices if there is an option to get the maximum of use out of one gaming console. I for example only have a PS4 right next to my TV and soon a Switch, and if possible in the future I would like to reduce them to only one platform. Time constraints and shifting interest are factors that should be taken into account, studies and work don't allow me to dedicate resources to more than one platform.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So, now that the year has ended and no announcements should come before the Switch event, I think it's a good time to pinpoint what third-party ports/simultaneous launch could get in 2017. So, I listed all the third-party games that aren't exclusives and from publishers that were on the official sheet. I don't think I missed anything major. I added in bold what I thought are likely or not, and feel free to quote the post to do the same.

- The Walking Dead Season 3 (Telltale Games) Likely, if they are porting Guardians of the Galaxies, no reason to leave the others projects

As I posted already in this thread, about that...

https://telltale.com/news/2016/12/e...s---a-new-frontier-epic-two-episode-premiere/

The first TWO of five episodes in The Walking Dead: The Telltale Series - A New Frontier will premiere digitally worldwide starting Tuesday December 20th on PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, iOS, and Android-based devices. We expect to have info on release dates for additional platforms in the near future too.

It's hard for many core gamers to understand that other's financial means might be limited to afford a second or even a third gaming platform. It also seems to be a difficult concept to grasp that a lot of people don't want to clutter their living rooms/areas with dedicated devices if there is an option to get the maximum of use out of one gaming console. I for example only have a PS4 right next to my TV and soon a Switch, and if possible in the future I would like to reduce them to only one platform. Time constraints and shifting interest are factors that should be taken into account, studies and work don't allow me to dedicate resources to more than one platform.

Pretty much same for me. Last 2 generations In had the Nintendo and the Sony system but these days I just play way less games and my interests have expanded to other areas and I have work and other stuff. I'd love to own both and wouldn't actually be opposed but if Switch has enough multiplats and they are fully featured enough I may jut have no real reason to add another system. I have stacks of WiiU, Wii, 3DS and PS3 games I haven't even played. Adding 2 more systems to it just seems unnecessary.

shingi70

Banned
Curious what the price will be, this is. Next year will be interesting for my wallet with other major bills needing to be paid, alongside getting a car and cons.

Might just skip out on the system till Zelda instead of jumping in at launch,

Yeah I think unless I find a new job soon, the earliest I'd be able to get the Switch is May. I really want to be there day one though. My hype level is through the roof.

Revelations didn't come during the launch windows. Mercenaries 3d did though.
Mercs 3D was severely underrated. I still boot it up every so often. The last time I checked, my play time was hovering somewhere near the 100 hour mark.

Really wouldn't mind a Switch sequel with new areas and maybe some reimagined old ones.

shingi70

Banned
Yeah I think unless I find a new job soon, the earliest I'd be able to get the Switch is May. I really want to be there day one though. My hype level is through the roof.

Maybe a bit later than may for me, I'm getting a PS4 this month. So it really depends on when I clear my debts. It should mostly be paid off by may, but I can still wait.

Pasedo

Oh the handheld part of the Switch is going to be completely fine. People are clearly fine with the legendary 240p resolution of the 3DS, so some graphic fidelity loss here and there won't matter as long as the game runs well.

One has to wonder how much the dock will change things though. If it gives the Switch a significant boost, then devs would have to bother with essentially two versions of their game and that's exactly what Nintendo is seemingly trying to avoid. So I hope that's all figured out nicely.

I think people should have lowered expectations. I don't think the dock will do anything but project the screen to a bigger screen. What I liked about the Wii u screen was being able to play it in bed with no noticeable lag. I'll be using the Switch in small screen mode 90% of the time even at home. Actually the Wii U screen play mode from many comments ive read was one of its most talked up features. I think I even read somewhere that people were powering their Wii Us on trains and public transport to play on the controller screen. I think all Nintendo has essentially done is give us a Wii U that is truly portable. Hopefully this time with proper 3rd party support. :)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I would prefer de blob and deadly creature over darksiders 3 Fromm nordic
Because evenrually D3 would hit also my ps4

oti

Banned

Why wouldn't I play those games on Switch? I'm already holding off games to play them on there. Like DQ Builders, Stardew Valley and SteamWorld Heist.

What I want to see is games that weren't possible to create before the Switch. The idea of the console being nothing more than a portable PS4/Wii U/Xbox One bores me.

In theory we can totally see software come out that involves fundamentally different gameplay modes when docked vs on-the-go. There's potentially compelling concepts surrounding that, but devs would need to tread very carefully. The seamless transitioning between the two modes would need to be at the core of it

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Japanese traditional games are dying a quick death so your not disagreeing with him.

Capcom went all in on the 3DS in the launch window tbh, SSFIV and REvelations, both looking incredible for the hardware too.

SSFIV running at a smooth 60FPS on 3DS still blows my mind to this day. Hopefully Switch can get something like that for Mahvel.

DMONKUMA

It was a joke, guys.

I'm talking about the event.

I hope there's no more leaks and we can have some fun looking forward to Nintendo having something left to reveal.

I wrote that because I expect at least something else to be leaked before the event or at least hinted by the usual "leakers" since its been a pattern for the past couple of conferences.

It was more of an addition than a sudden reaction because of what you said.

I wrote that because I expect at least something else to be leaked before the event or at least hinted by the usual "leakers" since its been a pattern for the past couple of conferences.

It was more of an addition than a sudden reaction because of what you said.

I know you were talking about the event. I was just playing along with you lol.

Ha, my bad. Anyway; I am expecting basically everything to leak in the weeks leading up to the event. Wish it were different, but them's the breaks.

All I would want to play on switch are Nintendo published games, or switch exclusives.

If it's also on PC or ps4, there's no way of play on switch.

That said, I'm now a little excited for switch and its Nintendo made games.

So here's my crackpot theory of the day... Capcom sold the license for Okami to Nintendo and they're letting Platinum make Okami 2 proper. I base this on nothing more than my obsession with Okami and that Capcom no longer lists it on their site or online store. Couple that with some interview comments from Kamiya about having ideas for Okami 2 and BOOM!

My theory will be thrown out the window the second that Capcom announces that Amaterasu is in MVC: Infinite. A man can dream...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom