• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waji

Amiibo are what amiibo are. Can't really hope for the use of amiibo to be better. The entire concept of ammibo is what it is. The best we can hope for is that they don't get worse/lock more meaningful content behind them.
Completely agree. I may want to get one or 2, like Shulk, just because it's not something you find elsewhere, but I don't want heavy DLC (and don't even care for the minor ones anyway).

But when you see the Smash Bros and so on, DLC, it may as well be on Amiibo when you think about it (or both). I personaly dislike any type of DLC.

Yuck!

Long gone are the days of the dodgy Marth Amiibo and most new releases look pretty good.

Why on earth would you want them to, not just go back to those ugly days, but, go even further beyond?

It started as a joke, but if it doesn't replace normal amiibo and generates money to fund first party titles, I wouldn't mind

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
All I would want to play on switch are Nintendo published games, or switch exclusives.

If it's also on PC or ps4, there's no way of play on switch.

That said, I'm now a little excited for switch and its Nintendo made games.

Same here. Portability does nothing for me, and I wouldn't take the graphics hit vs. playing on my PC or PS4 Pro. Multiplats are PC if the port is better than the PS4 Pro version, PS4 Pro otherwise (or if I have friends on PS4 that want to play together).

Nintendo hardware is for their games and the few other exclusives they get that appeal to me.

Thanks to Burdmayn for a fantastic question!

In what ways should the Nintendo Switch support Amiibo?

They really need to do a full toys to life game. There's some more room in the market with Disney Infinity going under, and Skylanders apparently falling. The game should be a budget title, or even F2P, and be more of a game as a service thing that's mainly around to keep driving Amiibo sales. $60 game with eventual sequels will kill interest.

The wait for the Switch event has been so much easier for me compared to the wait of when we find out what the NX is.

I've set goalposts on the calendar thats made it easier. First it was Pokémon Sun/Moon release. Then it was Game Awards and PSX. Now, my next goal posts is Super Mario Run and my vacation. Super Mario Run releases next week and I go on vacation next week. When I'm on vacation my next goalpost will be when I get back which is January 1st. Final goalpost is 11 days to the event.

I've broken it down into segments and its made the wait easier.

The wait for the Switch event has been so much easier for me compared to the wait of when we find out what the NX is.

I've set goalposts on the calendar thats made it easier. First it was Pokémon Sun/Moon release. Then it was Game Awards and PSX. Now, my next goal posts is Super Mario Run and my vacation. Super Mario Run releases next week and I go on vacation next week. When I'm on vacation my next goalpost will be when I get back which is January 1st. Final goalpost is 11 days to the event.

It's the opposite for me!

Somehow I was so full of hope and optimism that every day would be the day that we'd get big news, and it made me very excited to check for news each morning! Now that we aren't really expecting much until January 12th it's become a bit of a slog for me.

Oh well, more time to work and play other things!

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

I'm with you on this.
I've also set Reggie joining Jimmy Fallon as SMRun side-goal-post :p

I've kinda done this mentally too. Pokémon first, vacation in a week and a half... Each time I reach a new goal it keeps me busy for two or three weeks, time flies and I get to forget about the Switch for a bit. It's when I get towards the end of each "segment" that I start to get anxious for the event again, but the next stopgap is never too far around the corner.

It certainly helps that there is a concrete end date to look forward to. Waiting for the Switch reveal was brutal...

One game I'd like to see on Switch is World of Tanks, or WoT Blitz.

Maybe the playerbase would be better, considering it would be on Nintendo machine (all the edgy teenagers play on PC or PSOne).

Blitz is even on mobile now (works pretty well without hickups or anything, but I just hate touch controls).

I think that Blitz is like 5v5, so it would make great tournament game. People could bring their own Switches with them and play together.

WoT is a good game with lots of downsides, the worst being stupid ass players. Stopped playing it once again because the playerbase just plain sucks (on PC).

Only game that has made me dislike, borderline hate, people from certain countries.

Would like to play it again, so maybe Switch version could have nicer people.

LordKano

My goalposts aren't as fun as yours : review my lessons until my exams in January...
Fortunately the Switch event is during the week I've nothing.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

bxeCBYs.png

Since there is a rumor that we are getting Mario Kart Switch (based on Mario Kart 8 with new contents) so I hope that they would able to add more Mii costumes based on Nintendo and Third party characters, like Cloud, Ryu, Pit, Marth, etc.

I've been doing the same thing! I just got through Pokemon Moon, so now I'm on to FFXV to fill the gaps before and after Mario Run. Then I'll have The Last Guardian to work through come Christmas.

As I work an office job from 9 to 5 during the week, the Super Mario Run previews that hit this week will help keep me mentally busy during the day. Obviously my actual work helps with that, but I always have games on the mind as well.

I feel like we're still missing something important about the joycons.

In the other thread I was talking about how it's apparently impossible to charge the joycons while using them in a split control scheme (i.e. one in each hand a la wiimote+nunchuk), and then I remembered that Just Dance has indeed been officially announced, and you'd imagine that it uses at least one joycon as a motion controller.

But if that is how Just Dance Switch works, how can you play that game if the joycons are low on battery? You (presumably) have to attach them to the grip or the Switch tablet in order to charge them, and when they are attached they can't be used separately, one in each hand. So if they run out of battery in the middle of Just Dance (or some other Wiimote-like motion game) you're essentially shit out of luck, and you can't play that game anymore until they're sufficiently charged.

I can't imagine Nintendo will let this happen for the final product so I'm wondering what kind of solution they'll offer (besides selling additional joycons).

foltzie1

I feel like we're still missing something important about the joycons.

In the other thread I was talking about how it's apparently impossible to charge the joycons while using them in a split control scheme (i.e. one in each hand a la wiimote+nunchuk), and then I remembered that Just Dance has indeed been officially announced, and you'd imagine that it uses at least one joycon as a motion controller.

I can't imagine Nintendo will let this happen for the final product so I'm wondering what kind of solution they'll offer (besides selling additional joycons).

You raise a valid concern, that was true with the Wii Remotes, but of course since they ran on AAs it was easy to keep some spares available.

However, the Wii U Pro Controller has a 1300 mAh battery and lasts upwards of 80 hours. If the Joycon has the reported 525 mac battery it should last at least 25 hours assuming similar power requirements.

You raise a valid concern, that was true with the Wii Remotes, but of course since they ran on AAs it was easy to keep some spares available.

However, the Wii U Pro Controller has a 1300 mAh battery and lasts upwards of 80 hours. If the Joycon has the reported 525 mac battery it should last at least 25 hours assuming similar power requirements.

The Pro controller didn't have any type of motion control or vibration (I think, not sure on that one) and the joycons are rumored to have Wii motion + levels of motion control with some "next gen" rumble feature. So I'd expect something more like 10 hours.

But regardless of battery life, it would be odd if you simply can't play a game because, for instance, you forgot to charge them before you wanted to play. Since there's no way to charge them while playing or replace the batteries (as far as we know so far) then you have to stick them on the grip or tablet and just wait until they have a sufficient amount of charge.

I guess if they charge quickly enough then this isn't a big issue.

kunonabi

bxeCBYs.png

I'd hope for more extensive benefits that focus on not having to scan them all that regularly since scanning Amiibos when the thing is docked looks like a total pain in the ass.

foltzie1

The Pro controller didn't have any type of motion control or vibration (I think, not sure on that one) and the joycons are rumored to have Wii motion + levels of motion control with some "next gen" rumble feature. So I'd expect something more like 10 hours.

But regardless of battery life, it would be odd if you simply can't play a game because, for instance, you forgot to charge them before you wanted to play. Since there's no way to charge them while playing or replace the batteries (as far as we know so far) then you have to stick them on the grip or tablet and just wait until they have a sufficient amount of charge.

I guess if they charge quickly enough then this isn't a big issue.

You correctly identify a situation in which the experience would be very poor to an end user. I hope that the detached Joy Con battery life is sufficient for longer play sessions.

Wii U Pro C has rumble, but of course no IR sensor or motion sensors and I am, perhaps mistakenly, assuming that the Bluetooth stack burns more power than the sensors would.

Nevertheless, if the power profile of the Joycon is more like a Wii Remote that level of purported 525 mAh ends up looking more like 8-10 hours based on how long a Wii Remote on AAs lasts. 100% speculation, but somewhat reasonably informed.

Sadist

While a potential Dark Souls 3 on Switch would be great (especially when you consider From laughed about the idea to release Dark Souls on Wii U) I don't hope the launch line-up will just be re-releases. I don't want another Wii U like situation.

oti

Banned
Could you imagine what the reaction to the reveal trailer could have been if Nintendo had shown Dark Souls gameplay? GAF is going nuts over this leak.

Baleoce

I haven't been keeping up with things but, is it known yet whether or not the Switch can have a hard wired ethernet connection when in the docked TV mode?

jnWake

It'd be really cool to play Dark Souls on Switch. I've never played any of the games but they are so praised that I'd try them.

I expected the VC to be better. I expect online and UI to be better. I have high expectations for Switch. I expect there to be some kind of voice chat system.

I wouldn't be surprised if GC VC games launched with Switch.

Gleethor

I expected the VC to be better. I expect online and UI to be better. I have high expectations for Switch. I expect there to be some kind of voice chat system.

I wouldn't be surprised if GC VC games launched with Switch.

Funny you should mention that, Liam Robertson just talked about how he heard GC on VC was happening.

Josh5890

bxeCBYs.png

I think that Amiibos and all of the other toy-games have reached their peak in popularity. I think Nintendo will still release a few amiibos here and there but nothing on a grand scale like how the Smash amiibos were

Funny you should mention that, Liam Robertson just talked about how he heard GC on VC was happening.
Good good. I really believe Nintendo has listened to complaints and Kimishima is listening. Kimishima knows what Americans want and like and he'll do his best to accommodate more for the western audience. I would assume NERD is working on it.

I wonder what the first titles would be? Luigis Mansion or Super Mario Sunshine?

Gleethor

The nice thing about GC VC is that it pretty much guarantees Wii VC eventually (actual emulation this time, too) and probably 3DS VC since its games are at a similar level of fidelity. Basically Switch should be powerful enough to emulate every Nintendo game ever released, barring Wii U games, which is fine since all of the good ones are being ported anyway.

I'm being serious! It's happening, folks.

How would 3DS VC work on a TV?

Maybe there will be a tethered option? Its already 90% confirmed the it will use USB-c for charging and video out. I could see an extension cable running to the dock in order to run 3DS and WiiU games.

It's also possible that they don't do 3DS and WiiU backwards compatibility and release updated switch versions instead.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
The nice thing about GC VC is that it pretty much guarantees Wii VC eventually (actual emulation this time, too) and probably 3DS VC since its games are at a similar level of fidelity. Basically Switch should be powerful enough to emulate every Nintendo game ever released, barring Wii U games, which is fine since all of the good ones are being ported anyway.

Yes, exactly. I'd like this system to have every Nintendo system eventually playable on it. I know Wii U won't be possible at first because of the power, but I'd hope that once Switch is powerful enough (maybe Switch iteration number 2 or 3), we'll also see Wii U for the games that don't get ports. Then again, I'm not sure how they'd handle games that actually used the GamePad for asynchronous multiplayer or a game like Star Fox Zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom