• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

Honestly , I am of the mind that everything has a low chance of being ported to Switch. But if something does, I will be happily surprised.

Honestly , I am of the mind that everything has a low chance of being ported to Switch. But if something does, I will be happily surprised.

Me too. I remember that everyone was asking each other to contain our expectation in those NX days. It's interesting that this is not applied when we are discussing third party. And people should really get over with port begging, I don't want you to become the Bayo2 crowd. Stay classy.

Rather than focusing on those games existing on another platform, I would like to see what unannounced titles will be released on Switch. As we all know Switch has a long list of third party support, I wonder what games from these developers are going to land on Switch. Armored Core from Form? Shin Megami Tensei from Atlus? New Rocksteady game?

BTW, we shouldn't forget that Switch will be the last bastion of mid-tier developers. I expect lots of 3DS, Vita and indie developers are going to transit their development to Switch. Overall, I feel optimistic towards third-party environment.

Astral Dog

What are the chances of MvC: Infinite on the Switch? I have a PS4, but the thought of having a portable console fighter like MvC is almost a dream. It's not exclusive by any means, and Nintendo has a good relationship with Capcom...perhaps after the XBox/PS4 release?
I think about 25$ Capcom has an story with ports but this being designed for PS4 could cause some trouble, but i say there is a real posibility

MoonFrog

Me too. I remember that everyone was asking each other to contain our expectation in those NX days. It's interesting that this is not applied when we are discussing third party. And people should really get over with port begging, I don't want you to become the Bayo2 crowd. Stay classy.

Rather than focusing on those games existing on another platform, I would like to see what unannounced titles will be released on Switch. As we all know Switch has a long list of third party support, I wonder what games from these developers are going to land on Switch. Armored Core from Form? Shin Megami Tensei from Atlus? New Rocksteady game?

BTW, we shouldn't forget that Switch will be the last bastion of mid-tier developers. I expect lots of 3DS, Vita and indie developers are going to transit their development to Switch. Overall, I feel optimistic towards third-party environment.

The thing is, I see multiplatform potential going both ways, in the event Switch succeeds much closer to 3DS numbers than PS4 numbers in Japan. Basically I see DQXI style release becoming incredibly feasible and if a Japanese game is of the right size, it is clear that the game has only to gain from going DQXI. Right size relative to audience ambition, budget, tech profile, etc.

That is, I see great opportunity for Switch lead games to go Switch/PS4 and not have to make a whole new game to do so. They'd just be games that didn't push the PS4 too hard, not games completely out of the sort of production values expected from major 3rd party releases on the platform. I could totally see, say, SMT 5 going Switch/PS4 or Monster Hunter going Switch/PS4 just as much as I could see a P5P down the line. It is this opportunity, if it arises, and if it is utilized, that gives the Switch such potential for Japanese console development. Just as Nintendo can target consumers of both form factors, i.e. core east and core west, with one stream of software, so too can Japanese third parties. That is a golden opportunity.

Edit: We tend to think about what we have to gain from Switch being hybrid and its specs, but I think PS4 consumers in particular have stuff to gain from Switch too.

Jerm411

Oh, you poor, poor souls. How many years have you been torturing yourselves now? Rather, how many decades?

None of this has any chance of happening. We're all going to buy Switch because Mario and Zelda look good, just like we do for every Nintendo console.

Mine was in jest....just having fun.

I am excited about potential 3rd party games coming to the Switch though, *shrug* probably for not but I still am...

Malyse

If Switch was an HD remaster machine for lesser known IP than I would be 100% satisfied with my purchase.

There's a lot of Gamecube/Wii/Wii U/GBA/DS/3DS titles that didn't get the love they deserve.

I'm aware of that not being a thing that will happen

The thing is, I see multiplatform potential going both ways, in the event Switch succeeds much closer to 3DS numbers than PS4 numbers in Japan. Basically I see DQXI style release becoming incredibly feasible and if a Japanese game is of the right size, it is clear that the game has only to gain from going DQXI. Right size relative to audience ambition, budget, tech profile, etc.

That is, I see great opportunity for Switch lead games to go Switch/PS4 and not have to make a whole new game to do so. They'd just be games that didn't push the PS4 too hard, not games completely out of the sort of production values expected from major 3rd party releases on the platform. I could totally see, say, SMT 5 going Switch/PS4 or Monster Hunter going Switch/PS4 just as much as I could see a P5P down the line. It is this opportunity, if it arises, and if it is utilized, that gives the Switch such potential for Japanese console development. Just as Nintendo can target consumers of both form factors, i.e. core east and core west, with one stream of software, so too can Japanese third parties. That is a golden opportunity.

Edit: We tend to think about what we have to gain from Switch being hybrid and its specs, but I think PS4 consumers in particular have stuff to gain from Switch too.

Yeah, I agree that Switch/PS4 will be the future way for developers to generate more profit provided that the porting process is easy and the sales of Switch is decent. It helps cater to different groups of customers and I would be very happy to see this happen.

On the other hand, this is different from wanting something from another platform when people can literally play it now. Hell, I have yet to buy a PS4 nor own a gaming PC, so when it comes to port begging, I sounds like the one to be doing it. But I would rather wait for actual news instead of hoping something which may not eventually happen. I understand many people want Switch to have healthy third party environment (who don't?), which a crucial factor for Switch to succeed, but port begging is not really the way. If Switch succeeds, those games will soon release on Switch.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Third-party games are absolutely necessary mostly to help the Switch to avoid drought like it happened late in the Wii's life or the Wii U's entire lifespan! It's up to Nintendo and their close partners to create products that will captivate the market and make them want to try fun experiences only possible through the Switch. If the console gains a sizable amount of popularity, which is reflected through sales performance, third-party publishers will try to get a piece of that pie.

Nintendo also needs great third-party support because you never know where the biggest new gaming sensation will arise from. They'll gladly try to catch some of that wind from a third-party title that sells out of nowhere 1 to 2 millions units, if not more. One of the best example that comes to mind is GTA3 for the PS2. No one saw that level of success coming.

Random feature I hope for: ability to hold info for more than 3 Internet connections. Seemed fine in 2005 for DS and especially wasn't a problem for the more stationary home consoles, but a dozen years later I find myself bouncing between more networks and it's a bother to realize I have to quit a game, go to system settings, and replace whatever the least-commonly-used one is.

Regarding the question of which mobile games we'd like to see on Switch: mostly the stuff that's either already run away from gaming machines, or is trying to directly ape it. I'm thinking of things like the Fantasy Life sequel, or the non-gacha original 2D Final Fantasy games.
Servbot24 said:
Oh, you poor, poor souls. How many years have you been torturing yourselves now? Rather, how many decades?

None of this has any chance of happening. We're all going to buy Switch because Mario and Zelda look good, just like we do for every Nintendo console.
Most of those seem pretty reasonable. Games in series that have shown up on 3DS. All-ages platformers with historical entries on multiple Nintendo machines. Games that consider Vita a good target and don't mind its userbase limits. Capcom VS game including widely popular characters.

Well MVC8 Is using UE4 and doesnt look super damanding or anything.

I honestly would be surprised if this wasnt announced for SWITCH

Edit: Seriously what would the excuses be? Who can think of a valid non bs excuse?

-shadow-

Random feature I hope for: ability to hold info for more than 3 Internet connections. Seemed fine in 2005 for DS and especially wasn't a problem for the more stationary home consoles, but a dozen years later I find myself bouncing between more networks and it's a bother to realize I have to quit a game, go to system settings, and replace whatever the least-commonly-used one is.
This will never stop striking me as ridiculous on both WiiU and 3DS. Seriously, three connections? My phone already holds like 20 of them.

MoonFrog

Yeah, I agree that Switch/PS4 will be the future way for developers to generate more profit provided that the porting process is easy and the sales of Switch is decent. It helps cater to different groups of customers and I would be very happy to see this happen.

On the other hand, this is different from wanting something from another platform when people can literally play it now. Hell, I have yet to buy a PS4 nor own a gaming PC, so when it comes to port begging, I sounds like the one to be doing it. But I would rather wait for actual news instead of hoping something which may not eventually happen. I understand many people want Switch to have healthy third party environment (who don't?), which a crucial factor for Switch to succeed, but port begging is not really the way. If Switch succeeds, those games will soon release on Switch.

I didn't frame my post particularly well. My main point is that I see Japanese multiplatform with PS4 as as likely a result of a successful Switch as continued 3DS support. The two are somewhat tied together in my mind.

I mean this in two ways:

-Both aren't guaranteed and are less likely the less successful the system is.
-Both are more likely the more the system succeeds and will also be the largest drivers of that success outside Nintendo itself.

I have a hard time seeing a successful Switch that does not encourage PS4/Switch multiplatform. I also have a hard time seeing an unsuccessful Switch keeping a lot of 3DS support away from mobile or PS4. If Nintendo fails to make a portable for Japan, a lot of that stuff is probably leaving for greener pastures, especially with increased production value targets. But if Nintendo succeeds, Switch should also get a lot of PS4 games targeting a medium to large sized audience in Japan.

I also think medium sized PS4/(PS3/Vita) games are more likely than niche Vita games. Lower audience ambitions means perhaps they'll cleave to PS ecosystem, rather than portable form factor. They depend on loyal, niche consumers and I'm not sure which is the successor system for those consumers and those games. Larger Vita games, like, say, portable Persona, are in line with medium sized PS ecosystem games imo.

It's obviously not going to be clean cut and some games that are obvious to come over won't (whether they be 3DS successors, multiplatform titles, etc.). But I think some of the general trends are tied together, unless someone really works against them, like, say, Sony throws a lot of money around or Nintendo pisses people off right and left.

This is to say, I think expecting or dreaming of continuing 3DS style support is not much less likely to burn someone than expecting some ports of PS ecosystem games. I do agree that if people are really expectant of a certain game and become certain their expectations will be met, that's perhaps more of a problem with the PS games as there are more of them floating around being named and some happening isn't going to be all of them. So perhaps in that sense it is a bit more dangerous, but I also wouldn't be too surprised if companies counted Nintendo out and decided to chase the west (PS4), give up, or go mobile with their 3DS successors. Heck, we've got those MH5 rumors floating around (although there's a silver lining in them), Level 5 is talking mobile, Atlus just had unprecedented success on PS4, etc.

Ah, that's right. I got the release of this game mixed up, and thought it would be out before the Switch.

Ah makes sense, Ultimate MVC3 could be out the same day as Xbox One and PC seeming as they launch in March. Infinite is just 2017 as far as I know.

oti

Banned

NI
I

NO
O

KUNI
U
N
I

II
I

VDenter

Banned
Even just one of the following would make me buy it day one even if the switch was 599$

New Paper Mario TTYD style
New F Zero Game
New Metroid Game 2D/3D
New Eternal Darkness
New Wave Race
New Wario Land

Now the chances of any of these happening is probably much closer to zero than i would like. :(

Pasedo

I'm probably drastically over simplifying this but are games generally scalable once made so to say port a ps4 game over to Switch if it's weaker hardware wouldn't you essentially use lower quality assets, use a lower resolution and remove certain graphical eye candy features? For me I don't think these eye candy features will matter so much on a smaller screen. So long as it's decent IQ (at least ballpark Wii U quality), plays smoothly and I get the full game I'd be very happy. Not sure if anyone else feels the same way.

Retrobox

I'm probably drastically over simplifying this but are games generally scalable once made so to say port a ps4 game over to Switch if it's weaker hardware wouldn't you essentially use lower quality assets, use a lower resolution and remove certain graphical eye candy features? For me I don't think these eye candy features will matter so much on a smaller screen. So long as it's decent IQ (at least ballpark Wii U quality), plays smoothly and I get the full game I'd be very happy. Not sure if anyone else feels the same way.

Oh the handheld part of the Switch is going to be completely fine. People are clearly fine with the legendary 240p resolution of the 3DS, so some graphic fidelity loss here and there won't matter as long as the game runs well.

One has to wonder how much the dock will change things though. If it gives the Switch a significant boost, then devs would have to bother with essentially two versions of their game and that's exactly what Nintendo is seemingly trying to avoid. So I hope that's all figured out nicely.

LordKano

Rumor has it they're working on Saints Row and Darksiders sequels for 2017 and they would be glorious on Switch. THQ didn't keep their promise of Saints Row for 3DS, I want Nordic to deliver.

I really need my waifu Shaundi on my Switch screen.

Wait, isn't Saints Row a Deep Silver IP, with Volition developing ?

18-Volt

Wait, isn't Saints Row a Deep Silver IP, with Volition developing ?

Deep Silver isn't Nordic? Wow they are separate companies, I didn't know that.

In that case only thing they could have in development is Darksiders. And since they don't own Vigil, it could be collection of two games.

Darksiders has like 123 different remasters at this point, could be just meaning porting those (1 and 2)...

Would be neat though to get the next one too, if there's one indeed coming later.

Clessidor

Deep Silver isn't Nordic? Wow they are separate companies, I didn't know that.

In that case only thing they could have in development is Darksiders. And since they don't own Vigil, it could be collection of two games.

THQ Nordic have a bunch of games in development at the moment: ELEX, AquaNox: Deep Descent, Spellforce 3, The Guild 3, Battle Chasers: Nightwar are all set for a 2017 release.
I'm pretty sure they are interested into bringing Darksiders back, but that title might still take some time. We might see a first teaser or announcement around E3 probably. But I doubt it's one of the titles they are talking here, because I don't see a Darksiders 3 happening before fall 2018.

If I have to guess, I can totally see Battle Chasers: Nightwar beeing portet on the Switch and hope for ELEX.

Have the Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 port on Switch as a launch title, do it Capcom!
Z08hBQD.png

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
No Bloodborne 2 at PSX....pipe dream scenario....it's revealed at the Switch event lol....

Well, EpicNameBro did say he's working on something for Future Press (I think that's what it was) he can't talk about yet on his latest Bloodborne Stream sooo

18-Volt

Have the Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 port on Switch as a launch title, do it Capcom!

I really wouldn't be surprised if Capcom have absolutely nothing for Switch in its first year. they are not known to make cheap late ports for console launches and they're pretty busy with PS4 right now.

I think their first Switch game will be a brand new MH game in 2018. Though I'd love to be proven wrong by them.

I really wouldn't be surprised if Capcom have absolutely nothing for Switch in its first year. they are not known to make cheap late ports for console launches and they're pretty busy with PS4 right now.

I think their first Switch game will be a brand new MH game in 2018. Though I'd love to be proven wrong by them.

I'm outright betting Resident Evil 7 and Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 are launch titles. If I'm wrong I'll change my Avatar to the Knack 2 logo

Even just one of the following would make me buy it day one even if the switch was 599$

New Paper Mario TTYD style
New F Zero Game
New Metroid Game 2D/3D
New Eternal Darkness
New Wave Race
New Wario Land

Now the chances of any of these happening is probably much closer to zero than i would like. :(

Metroid is going to happen, regardless of what people here believe. Nintendo has made many statements about the future of both 2D and 3D Metroid- they're certainly going to happen at one point. Whether or not the games will be good is another matter entirely.

Wave Race is also very likely. Nintendo typically uses Wave Race to showcase new hardware, and the Switch is brand new hardware for them so it would fit quite well. Plus we recently just saw a trademark filing for Wave Race I believe, so it's looking quite likely.

As for the others, a Paper Mario like TTYD seems to be the least likely of your list, as that series has moved on. I'd personally be ecstatic to see an Eternal Darkness though.

IIRC, they did have a port of SSFIV for the launch of the 3DS.

kunonabi

Trailer turned off me the switch as all I saw were ugly hardware decisions and nothing to really excite me about new control or gameplay innovations. It was a fine trailer it just raised too many questions for me to be really positive about it as a potential buyer.

Trailer turned off me the switch as all I saw were ugly hardware decisions and nothing to really excite me about new control or gameplay innovations. It was a fine trailer it just raised too many questions for me to be really positive about it as a potential buyer.

To me the interesting thing is that it merges handhelds and consoles together. I'm excited to dock the Switch and play Pokemon on my TV or take Skyrim with me on a road trip. Judging by the amount of views and likes on the Youtube video I'm going to assume a lot of people are excited for that very reason.

Pachimari

I actually think I'm gonna skip out on launch, as the only game I really want is Splatoon, unless of course, they announce some cool games for launch. 3D Mario won't cut it for me. So I'm thinking of waiting until Fall for when Smash Bros and Pokémon Stars will hopefully be out.

DizzyCrow

Is there any chance that we'll get a console only version, like Vita TV or Shield Console? I have no interest in a handheld and don't want to pay for something that I won't use.

suaveric

Is there any chance that we'll get a console only version, like Vita TV or Shield Console? I have no interest in a handheld and don't want to pay for something that I won't use.

I think there is a good chance of that. But it might be a year or two down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom