• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any chance that we'll get a console only version, like Vita TV or Shield Console? I have no interest in a handheld and don't want to pay for something that I won't use.

I don't think so, I think some games will be designed with the tablet in my mind such as Super Mario Maker. I think they'll market that game as making on the tablet and playing docked on the TV.

Looking up Capcom on last few Nintendo systems.

First Wii game: Resident Evil 4
First 3DS game: Super Street Fighter IV
First Wii U game: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Late port it is.
Jonneh3003 said:
I don't think so, I think some games will be designed with the tablet in my mind such as Super Mario Maker.
This is where the pointer comes in.

I'm interested in seeing how Capcom supports the Switch. They were a massive 3DS supporter but didn't do much on Wii U post year 1. MVC3 got a vita port and Capcom managed to put SF4 on 3DS so there's a history of them porting fighting games to portables and and the exclusivity of the MVC3 re-release ends suspiciously in march.
RE7 was rated for cartridges before Switch was officially announced and since it's being built around having VR support it should mean it can run on low end devices/scale well.
On the other hand, they did have some weird quotes about not doing direct ports and that one rumor of MH5 being on PS4 first.

Capcom don't seem to make games unless they are bankrolled by a first party or licencing partner, so I wouldn't expect much from Capcom unless Nintendo partner with them.

Capcom don't seem to make games unless they are bankrolled by a first party or licencing partner, so I wouldn't expect much from Capcom unless Nintendo partner with them.
RE7 and MVCI are not exclusives. But yes, a lot of their titles have been just that with even the MH series being something like that.

RE7 and MVCI are not exclusives. But yes, a lot of their titles have been just that with even the MH series being something like that.

True enough, but I can't think of many IP's out of the two you mentioned that are safe bets for an increasingly conservative Capcom. Capcom have a breadth of fantastic franchises they can exploit, but they lack the confidence to execute the marketing correctly and it seems like they can no longer absorb bombs anymore -- that coupled with the loss in talent would suggest Nintendo would have to step in to see a classic franchise come into fruition.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I'm interested in seeing how Capcom supports the Switch. They were a massive 3DS supporter but didn't do much on Wii U post year 1. MVC3 got a vita port and Capcom managed to put SF4 on 3DS so there's a history of them porting fighting games to portables and and the exclusivity of the MVC3 re-release ends suspiciously in march.
RE7 was rated for cartridges before Switch was officially announced and since it's being built around having VR support it should mean it can run on low end devices/scale well.
On the other hand, they did have some weird quotes about not doing direct ports and that one rumor of MH5 being on PS4 first.
Because of the nature of the device (a handheld that, unlike the 3DS and the Vita to a lesser degree, fits well into the development pipeline for current games), I wouldn't be surprised if the Switch gets all of Capcom's PC/PS4/Xbox One future releases, especially in Japan. Of course, I'm excluding exclusive titles.

Oersted

Looking up Capcom on last few Nintendo systems.

First Wii game: Resident Evil 4
First 3DS game: Super Street Fighter IV
First Wii U game: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Late port it is.

This is where the pointer comes in.

Resi was a port of the Gamecube game, so it wasn't particularly new on Nintendo consoles.

Ultimate came a bit earlier on WiiU than 3DS and other consoles never got the title before or after.

LordKano

So, now that the year has ended and no announcements should come before the Switch event, I think it's a good time to pinpoint what third-party ports/simultaneous launch could get in 2017. So, I listed all the third-party games that aren't exclusives and from publishers that were on the official sheet. I don't think I missed anything major. I added in bold what I thought are likely or not, and feel free to quote the post to do the same.

- Dragon Quest Builders (Square Enix) : Likely if a sequel isn't already in the works
- Rise of the Tomb Raider 20th Anniversary (Square Enix) Unlikely, the game's already more than a year old on XBO
- Skylanders : Imaginators (Activision) Unlikely if the rumors about the 2017 game being cancelled are true
- Battlefield 1 (Electronic Arts) Unlikely, EA has only one "major" game in the works and I doubt it's Battlefield
- Lego Harry Potter Collection (Traveller’s Tales) Likely, it's LEGO after all
- Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 (Bandai Namco) Likely, Dragon Ball has a good history with Nintendo, the 3DS had plenty of them
- World of Final Fantasy (Square Enix) Unlikely, the game bombed and I don't think it's a really important matter for Square
- Berserk and the Band of Hawk (Koei Tecmo) Unlikely, same as above, the game completely tanked
- Titanfall 2 (Electronic Arts) Unlikely, just like Battlefield 1, only one major game and I doubt it's this one
- Call of Duty : Infinite Warfare (Activision) Unlikely, Activision better prepare the next CoD game instead of porting this one
- Sword Art Online : Hollow Realization (Bandai Namco) Unlikely because they release one each year so the following game is a better choice
- Dishonored 2 (Bethesda Softworks) Likely, Bethesda is on board and the game's not too tech-heavy, and well suited for any audience
- Assassin’s Creeds : Ezio Collection (Ubisoft) Likely, there's no Assassin's Creed in 2017 so it's safe to port this one, should be cheap too
- Watch Dogs 2 (Ubisoft) Unlikely, not twice the same mistake lol
- Darksiders : Warmastered Edition (THQ Nordic) Extremely likely, because THQ Nordic does nothing but ports
- Final Fantasy XV (Square Enix) Unlikely, the game's technically a mess and it would be a pain in the ass to port it
- Let it Die (Grasshooper Manufacture) Likely, because I don't really see what else could Grasshooper be working on
- The Walking Dead Season 3 (Telltale Games) Likely, if they are porting Guardians of the Galaxies, no reason to leave the others projects
- Hatsune Miku : Project Diva Future Tone (SEGA) Unlikely because eeeeh I don't know, I don't feel it
- Danganronpa V3 : Killing Harmony (Spike Chunsoft) Quite likely, it would be the most logical port for Spike Chunsoft : it's a handled game first and firemost, and it's the start of a new timeline so no need to play the previous games
- Valkyria : Azure Revolution (SEGA) Unlikely, just like Hatsune Miku, doubtful
- Kingdom Heart HD 2.8 : Final Chapter Prologue (Square Enix) Likely, Kingdom Hearts has a long history with Nintendo too, and they could prepare the console for Kingdom Hearts 3 that way
- Resident Evil 7 : Biohazard (Capcom) Likely, Resident Evil has almost always been on Nintendo
- Lego Worlds (Traveller’s Tales) Likely, because LEGO
- Musou Stars (Koei Tecmo) Likely, it features franchises that only appeared on Nintendo consoles (like Opoona)
- Nier : Automata (Square Enix / Platinum Games) Likely, if it gets a shot on both PS4 and PC, why not ?
- Tom’s Clancy : Ghost Recon Wildlands (Ubisoft) Likely, brand new Ubisoft game and previous Tom's Clancy games have been on Nintendo console
- Danganronpa 1+2 Reloaded (Spike Chunsoft) Likely, cheap ass port and easy cash-grab, it has been released on PSP, Vita, PC and soon PS4.
- Kingdom Hearts HD 2.9 Remix (Square Enix) I don't even know what is this one, another remake ? Well, likely I would suppose
- Persona 5 (Atlus) Likely, but not now. They have no choice if they want to release a portable edition but on the Switch
- Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (Activision) Quite likely, Crash Bandicoot has always been present on Nintendo, this one isn't exclusive and it's aimed at kids, no problems here.
- Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age (Square Enix) : Unlikely, it seems like the kind of project to stay on one platform
- Injustice 2 (Warner Bros) Unlikely, I don't feel it
- Lady Layton (Level 5) Likely, because who the hell would release a 3DS games in mid-2017
- Mass Effect : Andromeda (Electronic Arts) Unlikely, way too massive for a such late in the dev port
- Marvel vs Capcom : Infinite (Capcom) Likely, no reason it couldn't
- Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 (Capcom) Likely too, the PS4 timed exclusive break on March
- Metal Gear Survive (Konami) ...
- Ni No Kuni II : Revenant Kingdom (Level-5) Likely, it's not exclusive and the first one has been on DS. Plus it's aimed for everyone, it would be a great fit
- Prey (Bethesda Softworks) Unlikely, it doesn't feel quite what Bethesda would port
- Red Dead Redemption 2 (Take-Two) Unlikely, because Rockstar
- Sonic Mania (SEGA) Extremely likely, it's basically a given
- South Park : The Fractured But Whole (Ubisoft) Likely, no reason why it couldn't
- Tekken 7 (Bandai Namco) Likely, Harada has worked a lot with Nintendo

PrimeTime

I really think if Capcom had a ResiEvil 7 port on Switch it would be a HUGE boon for that console and it's intent to be console for serious gamers.

Jackano

I really think if Capcom had a ResiEvil 7 port on Switch it would be a HUGE boon for that console and it's intent to be console for serious gamers.

I specifically remember saying myself, RE6 will be a good example to see how the Wii U was implemented in the 3rd party devs pipelines. It wasn't, and it quickly showed how bad it was.

I totally don't expect RE7 showing up anytime soon. But I totally expect Capcpom porting RE5 first, then 6, in the years to come.

I'll cry tears of joy if I can finally get portable Resident Evil 4.

I thought 3DS might get a port after the Mercenaries 3D and Revelations, I was wrong.
z1nbaDa.jpg

full.jpg

Astral Dog

CAPCOM is one of the biggest supporters of the 3DS their Switch work will be fine.

if there are no signs of games by them we will know something is wrong

So, now that the year has ended and no announcements should come before the Switch event, I think it's a good time to pinpoint what third-party ports/simultaneous launch could get in 2017. So, I listed all the third-party games that aren't exclusives and from publishers that were on the official sheet. I don't think I missed anything major. I added in bold what I thought are likely or not, and feel free to quote the post to do the same.

If nothing else it'll be fun to go back through that list after the event!

Astral Dog

I think the problem with 7 is a two month delay difference, and that they were focusing on getting the best graphics possible with their framerate target on Xbox One and above, Resi7 doesnt seem to be like the most Switch port friendly game at the moment.

Matbtz

Yeah I agree with pretty much with LordKano's list. But for EA one game, is it official that they are developing ONE game ? They said they have a major game in dev but that don't necessarily mean we are porting one game right ? Just hope they will try harder than just one game at first

MAtgS

- Let it Die (Grasshooper Manufacture) Likely, because I don't really see what else could Grasshooper be working on
I can think of one.

- Assassin’s Creeds : Ezio Collection (Ubisoft) Likely, there's no Assassin's Creed in 2017 so it's safe to port this one, should be cheap t
I thought i was this year that was skipping AC & next year's getting one?

- Kingdom Hearts HD 2.9 Remix (Square Enix) I don't even know what is this one, another remake ? Well, likely I would suppose
There's no 2.9 announced, nothing left to be remade either.

- Injustice 2 (Warner Bros) Unlikely, I don't feel it
1st Injustice was on Wii U, not to mention Vita. MKvDC, MK9 & MKX probably only skipped Nintendo platforms due to their low power (MKX in particular canceled it's last-gen versions) but otherwise the MK series has had a long history on Nintendo hardware. I call it likely.

- Sonic Mania (SEGA) Extremely likely, it's basically a given
Months after it's release maybe but it's a 3-man indie team who may or may not have gotten dev kits as early as the major devs. There's a reason Sonic '17 was announced for NX & this wasn't.

Months after it's release maybe but it's a 3-man indie team who may or may not have gotten dev kits as early as the major devs. There's a reason Sonic '17 was announced for NX & this wasn't.

Renegade Kid publicly offered to do a 3DS version for Sega, I'm sure a third party would step in to port the Switch version, heck why couldn't other Sega employees handle the port?

MacTag

Banned
I really wouldn't be surprised if Capcom have absolutely nothing for Switch in its first year. they are not known to make cheap late ports for console launches and they're pretty busy with PS4 right now.

I think their first Switch game will be a brand new MH game in 2018. Though I'd love to be proven wrong by them.
Capcom will have multiple ports in Switch's first year. Rough first years on previous Nintendo systems:

NES
-none

Game Boy
-none

Super NES
-Final Fight (port)
-U.N. Squadron (port)
-Super Ghouls'n Ghosts

N64
-none

Game Boy Advance
-Mega Man Battle Network
-Final Fight One (port)
-Breath of Fire (port)
-Yuushun Rhapsody
-Super Street Fighter II Turbo Revival (port)
-Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
-Mega Man Battle Network 2
-Breath of Fire II (port)
-Granbo
-Black Black

Gamecube
-Resident Evil
-Capcom Vs SNK 2 EO (port)
-Disney's Magical Mirror starring Mickey Mouse
-Ultimate Fighting Championship 2 (port)

Nintendo DS
-Mega Man Battle Network 5: Double Team (port)
-Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (port)
-Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble

Wii
-Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (port)
-Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barabos' Treasure
-Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles
-Sengoku Basara 2 Heroes (port)
-Virtual Console support (SNES, NES, MD)

Nintendo 3DS
-Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition (port)
-Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D
-Nazo Waku Yakata
-Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (port)
-Resident Evil Revelations
-Virtual Console support (GB, NES)

Wii U
-Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (port)
-Resident Evil Revelations (port)
-Disney's DuckTales Remastered (multi)
-Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara (port)
-Virtual Console support (NES, SNES)

Let it Die (Grasshooper Manufacture) Likely, because I don't really see what else could Grasshooper be working on
No More Heroes 3

evanmisha

Waiting on the announcement that Inazuma Eleven Ares is coming to Switch and Mobile. Just wanna see game play already 😣

ozfunghi

Can someone fill me in on the news of the past 2 weeks? I've heard about the XenoX port, the Mario/Rabbits RPG, the Splatoon pack-in, but nothing since. Been busy with other things. Anything worth noting?

neohwa

Honestly I don't see why people want to play 3rd party games/ports on the Switch.

You have the PS4 for that.

Buy the Switch for the 1st party games, nothing else.

DMONKUMA

Can someone fill me in on the news of the past 2 weeks? I've heard about the XenoX port, the Mario/Rabbits RPG, the Splatoon pack-in, but nothing since. Been busy with other things. Anything worth noting?

Monolith is suppose to be making a game that is coming out in 2018, it was mentioned along with the XenoX port.

Phoenixus

Honestly I don't see why people want to play 3rd party games/ports on the Switch.

Portability can be a hell of a draw. I can think of many PS4 games I'd likely enjoy much more on the go (Persona 5, FFVII remake, etc)

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I believe NoA closes for the holidays around December 20. Full operation should be resumed in early January. Anyway, there's this (from NoE/Nintendo UK):

We’ll announce more details on when and where you’ll be able to get your hands on Nintendo Switch as we get closer to January, so be sure to follow the official Nintendo Switch Facebook page and Nintendo Switch Instagram account, or stay tuned to our Twitter for the latest updates.
Source: https://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/201...on-2017-coming-January-13th-2017-1149971.html

I wonder if more information on the Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017 will be announced before or after Christmas. Additional details on the event would make for a neat gift.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
- Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (Activision) Quite likely, Crash Bandicoot has always been present on Nintendo, this one isn't exclusive and it's aimed at kids, no problems here.

It's not exclusive? I mean, I know the IP belongs to Activision and other Crash titles have appeared on multiple machines, but I could this particular game being Sony exclusive. They made a big deal out of it, and right now it's a PS4 exclusive. It would be cool to be sure, but I'm not holding my breath for a Switch release, or if there is one, it'll be a while after the PS4 version.

Retrobox

It's not exclusive? I mean, I know the IP belongs to Activision and other Crash titles have appeared on multiple machines, but I could this particular game being Sony exclusive. They made a big deal out of it, and right now it's a PS4 exclusive. It would be cool to be sure, but I'm not holding my breath for a Switch release, or if there is one, it'll be a while after the PS4 version.

Wouldn't hold my breath either. That said, if there's any company that can make up missing this particular platformer, it's obviously Nintendo and their own offerings.

Oregano

Lego City Undercover remaster is coming to Switch, as well as the other consoles and PC.

Resi was a port of the Gamecube game, so it wasn't particularly new on Nintendo consoles.

Ultimate came a bit earlier on WiiU than 3DS and other consoles never got the title before or after.
Well no other console had "Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition" or "Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition" either. But I was looking at them as versions of games previously released.

Trailer turned off me the switch as all I saw were ugly hardware decisions and nothing to really excite me about new control or gameplay innovations. It was a fine trailer it just raised too many questions for me to be really positive about it as a potential buyer.

they have normal controllers, if that's what you're worried about.

Mr Swine

Banned
I would gladly buy Resident Evil 7 on Switch if Capcop announces it, same with Sonic Mania. I really don't care if I double dip since I will own both on PC

Never played the game.

can it be played with the button layout of 1 joy con?

Two player on the go would be awesome. And with 2 switches 4 player on the go

If the joycons hide L/R in the groove area that connects to the console, sure... Otherwise the controls would need to be tweaked...

Peléo

Great post. Some heavy-hitters on the list. Let's see how it turns out in the end. I personally think we will have more partnerships and exclusives (Mario X Rabbids and Bayonetta 2) than multi-plats.

Still, the fact the Switch is a portable console makes the situation a bit different from previous home console entries. The January event will be a good indicator of the future.

Rösti;225993448 said:
I believe NoA closes for the holidays around December 20. Full operation should be resumed in early January. Anyway, there's this (from NoE/Nintendo UK):

Source: https://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/201...on-2017-coming-January-13th-2017-1149971.html

I wonder if more information on the Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017 will be announced before or after Christmas. Additional details on the event would make for a neat gift.

They'll have to give us more details like the exact time of the stream and the times of the various press events around the world, so I'm certainly expecting something in December. It would be very nice if they made another trailer or teaser as a promotion for the January event too.

LordKano

No More Heroes 3

I want No More Heroes 3 as much as you, but I doubt it's in work right now.

It's not a PS4 exclusive at all. There's zero mention of it being an exclusive.

MoonFrog

I wouldn't want to play games I'd play on PC on Switch too much. I play a lot of mouse interface heavy strategy games and what-not. I would, however, prefer a one-stop Nintendo/Japanese third party device that is also portable. Not going to happen completely, but the closer it comes to happening the better in my book. Moreover, as I said above, this has the potential to make PS4 more of a one-stop Sony/Japanese third party device as well. So for those consumers PS4/Switch is good too.

I mean, I just finally got a PS4 for a Sony first party game (TLG), but they aren't going to be making the ICO successors anymore anyway. I'll be getting some third party games on it in the near future, but I'd love if I could get those on Switch instead going forward. Not going to scream bloody murder if I can't, of course. It is just that where I'm at with PS post-PS2 is not the most enthused, and I wouldn't mind having less cost to cutting that out of my gaming future.

Also, as I said above, I think Switch/PS4 multiplatform, if Switch works out, is the best opportunity Japanese development has had in a long time to have maximal impact in Japan and the west with limited porting distance involved. That is a great opportunity for Japanese console gaming to try for a healthier market at home and abroad and make better games as a result.

I expect Switch to fall short of ideal and for Japan to not take full advantage of it, but the question is to how short it falls and how much advantage does Japan take.

I've said this before, but it's going to be a mutually beneficial relationship between the Switch and PS4 regarding smaller and mid-sized third-party Japanese titles (provided there's no locked down exclusivity, of course). Titles can be more easily ported between the architectures, and being close enough in power means games can be more easily scaled. There aren't any particular "gimmicks" to take advantage of/revolve a game around on the Switch, so games that may have remained on the 3DS will see PS4 versions. Likewise, games that were PS4/Vita will be available on the Switch where you get the best of both worlds and can target the handheld/mobile segment of the Japanese market, which is obviously dominant.

I've said this before, but it's going to be a mutually beneficial relationship between the Switch and PS4 regarding smaller and mid-sized third-party Japanese titles (provided there's no locked down exclusivity, of course). Titles can be more easily ported between the architectures, and being close enough in power means games can be more easily scaled. There aren't any particular "gimmicks" to take advantage of/revolve a game around on the Switch, so games that may have remained on the 3DS will see PS4 versions. Likewise, games that were PS4/Vita will be available on the Switch where you get the best of both worlds and can target the handheld/mobile segment of the Japanese market, which is obviously dominant.
Yeah, I think this will be the case. Vita+PS4 was a thing for a long time, with the closer parity between the two in terms of feature set and power devs can likely continue to have that similar output.
I worry if this might be a bad idea in the long run with Nintendo gaining multiplatform titles while losing more exclusives. I guess it wouldn't matter too much if Nintendo's own output can increase making up for the diminished number, though

MoonFrog

Yeah, I think this will be the case. Vita+PS4 was a thing for a long time, with the closer parity between the two in terms of feature set and power devs can likely continue to have that similar output.
I worry if this might be a bad idea in the long run with Nintendo gaining multiplatform titles while losing more exclusives. I guess it wouldn't matter too much if Nintendo's own output can increase making up for the diminished number, though

It'll help them in Japan where they have a form factor advantage. It'll help them in the west if they can make hybrid something we want. Otherwise, it'll just help PS4.

Personally I think Nintendo first party is best first party, and I do think they have an advantage there among non-core gamers, but not sure how much someone'll buy Nintendo over Sony or Xbox for them if they aren't already buying them.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
What I want to see is games that weren't possible to create before the Switch. The idea of the console being nothing more than a portable PS4/Wii U/Xbox One bores me.

What I want to see is games that weren't possible to create before the Switch. The idea of the console being nothing more than a portable PS4/Wii U/Xbox One bores me.

Well, don't expect any. It's fairly clear that there's no new input gimmick here, and I think that's for the best - it's very hard to see how there's any blue ocean left in the mobile gaming era.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom