• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch |DT2| No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness

Which of these definitely """real""" leaks are you most hyped for?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PMurphy1978

Neo Member
Just put in my preorder in at GAME!

They said that I was around the 40th person to order and that the branch had the most preorders in the UK. Makes me a tad bit nervous that I won't get one on release but I doubt they've bought any Switches yet so I think it'll be fine, that and I had to put in a £20 deposit.

I think I'm about the 11th in mine. Still going to pre-order online somewhere on Friday anyway, as a back-up.

If they never stopped "Working on Splatoon" then the dev time would be about the same as the original. And this time they had a solid base in the original/can "bring back" all the maps and weapons they already worked on.

It's perfectly reasonable.

To add to this, when you have a new IP or even a new fresh take on an old one, there's probably a million ideas that you had to cut from the first release. Galaxy 2 was originally an add on for 1 that got too big to not be a sequel, and it was all stuff that they had to remove from Galaxy 1 (or Galaxy 1 assets or other ideas that were used in a whole new way). Using the same game engine saves a lot of time too because you already know how to use it and what it is capable of.

Skeletos311

legendofbingobmaor.jpg

Spy

Before we start celebrating about a potential Splatoon sequel, maybe we should stop to consider the other titles that are slated (rumored) to be ported over to the Switch.

Mario Kart 8 (confirmed port by various sources)
Raymond Legends (it's possible)
Xenoblade Chronicles X (possible, but a sequel would be a massive undertaking)
Mario Maker (no confirmation that it would be ported over, although there has been rumors)
Smash Bros. (they couldn't possibly be releasing a sequel could they)

Am I forgetting anything else?
I forgot about Rayman, I could see that as a possibility.

Interestingly enough, reading about Super Mario Galaxy 2 again after my last post made me notice this:

"

In order to help distinguish Super Mario Galaxy 2 from its predecessor, the staff originally wanted the whole game to revolve around the concept of "switching", in which the game's environments would dramatically change under certain conditions. This concept ended up being particularly difficult to implement full-scale, so was relegated to only certain levels."

I'm hoping that we see this finally make it to the new 3d Mario that we will see, but probably not get until November.

i think one of the mods argued there wasn't much point of a spoiler free thread since most of everything in the presentation would be a topic on gaming first page when you open gaf.
Huh, what kind of logic ist that?
The purpose of a spoilerfree thread is that you can bookmark it and jump directly to it avoiding all the news/threads.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The thing with Splatoon is that it was a surprisingly huge hit IP made with I assume a small team. It's a small game. A fantastic game, but a small one. It benefited a lot from its post launch content and was satisfying enough, but structurally and conceptually is neat, tidy, and focused in the way any new IP testing the waters is.

It rapidly transformed into a cult hit, has a distinct identity that's still fresh (pun intended) in the gamer mindshare, and has plenty of wiggle room to grow in a sequel.

Mario Kart and Smash are essential to the Nintendo catalogue, but they're intensely established and don't need an immediate, reactive release. They're the kind of games that can get away with early gen ports before main releases come much later. Splatoon, as a new IP that's still buzzing, benefits most from a direct successor coming sooner rather than later.

This is especially true as a new platform launches and the Wii U market transitions over to the new hardware. Smart marketing would emphasise getting on the Splatoon bandwagon as soon as possible with a big new game on the new hardware instead of letting the fanbase linger for too long on a platform left for dead. Splatoon as a franchise benefits far more from an early major release than Mario Kart and Smash, both of which could launch 2 - 3 years from now and still hit as hard as ever.

I want someone to sell me on the fact that it's basically
confirmed there's going to be new fighters and stages in the smash port. For some reason I feel they want to not really change much from a local development standpoint but also I'd be easier to market for Nintendo if there were like an Inkling in the game. I'm excited as fuck.

Nothing is confirmed, not even the port. Everything is a rumour at this point, even if it's a strong one. There is no strong rumour that the port however will feature substantial quantities of new content.

Volotaire

Interestingly enough, reading about Super Mario Galaxy 2 again after my last post made me notice this:

"

In order to help distinguish Super Mario Galaxy 2 from its predecessor, the staff originally wanted the whole game to revolve around the concept of "switching", in which the game's environments would dramatically change under certain conditions. This concept ended up being particularly difficult to implement full-scale, so was relegated to only certain levels."

I'm hoping that we see this finally make it to the new 3d Mario that we will see, but probably not get until November.

I remember, before Mario Wii U was announced, I wanted this concept to be used for the Mario Wii U game with respect to the dynamic between the Wii U Gamepad and the TV screen.

Hopefully this concept returns for Mario Switch, and we get a gameplay structure that is completely different to 3D World/Land, Galaxy/Galaxy 2 and 64/Sunshine.

JonnyKong

The 4chan leak yesterday (The Mario Odyssey leak) mentioned It being a Splatoon sequel rather than a port. Did he say that before Emily said her latest thing?

Akki

Mario Kart 8 and Smash have massive content. The gameplay is already refined and not dependent on the Wii U gamepad. A true sequel would take a lot of time and ressources. No way this is happening but expect great additional content for both games.

Splatoon is a new IP and makes perfect use of the Wii U gamepad. The game was developped in a relativly short time (2 years, correct me if I´m wrong). The Switch footage had tons of new stuff.
-> Splatoon 2

Xenoblade is a singlepayer game and probably done by Tantaus, will only be adjusted to Switch.

I don´t think Mario Maker for Switch is real. They just released the 3ds port. A true sequel in 2018++ makes more sense.

Pokemon Stars will be the 3rd version like any other Pokemongame but have better graphics.

If they never stopped "Working on Splatoon" then the dev time would be about the same as the original. And this time they had a solid base in the original/can "bring back" all the maps and weapons they already worked on.

It's perfectly reasonable.

Wouldn't that be the same as the Mario Kart for switch which is being called a port? To add to that Nintendo never does annual franchises ever and for their new biggest franchise chances are that the sequel would be given a bigger budget and more dev time. Nintendo's the kind of company that would wait to get it right than get it done. Someone else brought up Mario Galaxy 2 but even that was three years after the first one and its barely been a year since the last DLC.

Choomp

Banned
Nothing is confirmed, not even the port. Everything is a rumour at this point, even if it's a strong one. There is no strong rumour that the port however will feature substantial quantities of new content.

Yeah, I should've been more clear but the main point was I was being skeptical because everyone around here seemed 100% that stuff was happening, to the point where there's that voting thread on what new stages/characters are gonna be featured. I was mainly just asking to see if there was some potential strong reasoning behind why those rumors would make sense.

DrNeroCF

All I want is Metroid.

Bracing for disappointment.

The kids and I finally got around to beating Super Metroid (nooo baby Metroid! heh) and the clear screen comes up...

Me: It says, 'see you next mission'

Oldest: Daddy, when is the next mission?

Me: I don't know, son. I just don't know...

Kicko

I forgot about Rayman, I could see that as a possibility.

To me, it's the most logical of the bunch. Porting over a 4 year old game of it's kind doesn't make much sense to me. This title has been on how many platforms now?

The 4chan leak yesterday (The Mario Odyssey leak) mentioned It being a Splatoon sequel rather than a port. Did he say that before Emily said her latest thing?
Super Bomberman R and Ultra Street Fighter 2: The Final Challengers
better be actual fucking things.

Just like
the Monster Hunter XX / Generations X port for Switch with the Switch Axe that is a Nintendo Switch and Dark Souls DLC where you can get Solaris armour.

Seil

The kids and I finally got around to beating Super Metroid (nooo baby Metroid! heh) and the clear screen comes up...

Me: It says, 'see you next mission'

Oldest: Daddy, when is the next mission?

Me: I don't know, son. I just don't know...

Fusion? I really want a new 2d Metroid x.x

Ninferno

Well wasn't Xenoblade Chronicles X rumored to be a port as well? Maybe that's the sequel we're getting.

I'm not so sure it's Splatoon, but I'd love to be wrong.

There's a rumored XCX port that is outsourced, and in addition there's a new Monolith game.

Before we start celebrating about a potential Splatoon sequel, maybe we should stop to consider the other titles that are slated (rumored) to be ported over to the Switch.

Mario Kart 8 (confirmed port by various sources)
Rayman Legends (it's possible)
Xenoblade Chronicles X (possible, but a sequel would be a massive undertaking)
Mario Maker (no confirmation that it would be ported over, although there has been rumors)
Smash Bros. (they couldn't possibly be releasing a sequel could they)

Am I forgetting anything else?

Pokemon Stars
Skyrim
Dark Souls 3 / Trilogy. All rumored.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah, I should've been more clear but the main point was I was being skeptical because everyone around here seemed 100% that stuff was happening, to the point where there's that voting thread on what new stages/characters are gonna be featured. I was mainly just asking to see if there was some potential strong reasoning behind why those rumors would make sense.

Well I guess you can look at it like this.
We have confirmation of both Mario Kart and Splatoon hitting the Switch.
Rumours from decently reliable sources in the Nintendo scene (namely Emily and LKD) stated that a number of Wii U games would be ported across, some with enhanced content.
Mario Kart is apparently a port with enhanced content, as noted by the new content (eg: character) in the trailer.
Splatoon had new outfits in the trailer, jury out on whether it's a true successor or an enhanced port.
Both sources have indicated that Smash Bros. 4 would also be ported, implying minimal additional content.
Smash 4 is "content complete" for most part, but on a market level we're still waiting for more material, specifically stuff like the Bayonetta amiibo.
If Smash 4 isn't being ported the Bayonetta amiibo is effectively being tied to a last generation system, and a dead one at that.
Thus there is incentive for the Bayonetta amiibo to be marketed alongside a Smash 4 port that includes at minimum all the Wii U DLC.

oatmeal

Banned
My wants

Pikmin 4
Wave Race (very doubtful)
Mario Kart Battle Mode
3D Mario (so curious to see wtf is up with this)
Metroid or ANYTHING from Retro, it's been like 3 years since we have seen anything from them

T.O.P

Banned
Welp, just realized that this airs at 4-5am over here ehhhh

Anyway, i want a new Metroid Prime from Retro beyond anything else, pls

J@hranimo

Banned
Regarding that 4chan "leak"

>Ultra Street Fighter 2: The Final Challengers - Port with new content.

Bahaha what kind of nonsense is this?

sanstesy

Anybody can go to 4chan and say they're working at the event. It's unsubstantiated. I mean Ultra Street Fighter 2? Come on now.

4chan is basically the most used site to leak stuff nowadays because we regularly have pretty big leaks/rumours pop up there that turn out true. What is right or wrong is hard to tell but more often than not leaks that occur on 4chan that I think look rather believable are actually real.

Could the "port that became a sequel" actually be Mario Maker?

The original rumors was MM was being ported but they were having trouble figuring out how to convert Wii U levels over to work with the Switch version. Could they have just made it a full fledged sequel instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom