• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peltz

Here

1XST1qM.jpg
Sorry, but you need more 3DS systems.

I have 3 of them too ;-)

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Speaking of size - I know we have no way of knowing, but which direction do you guys feel nintendo will go will the inevitable revsison; bigger or smaller?

Eventually we might get both sides of that coin... but next, I'm just not sure.

I could see a "tablet only" version that goes up to 9+ inches, and you always use disconnected controllers. Or I could see a smaller, 4.5" model with built in joycons. I just don't know - but I do not anticipate the first major revision will keep the exact same size screen.

Peltz

It's always quite easy to tell if someone has actually held a Switch before by whether they say "wow it's much smaller than I thought" or "it's really not portable"

That moment when I opened the box was pretty mind blowing for me too. Sometimes when I'm playing Zelda docked, I look over at the Switch and just can't believe something so small is able to generate a game that is so big. We've come a long way.

schopaia

Traversing the eShop last night was really disheartening. The whole experience just feels like an incomplete beta. Navigation is clumsy, the interface is boring, there's no music/sounds, and to top it all off, as I was punching in my CC info, I got the clicks/selection sounds, like, 20% of the time, and even then, they came delayed. The whole thing just felt like a very robust dev environment.

Most embarassing is how it seems like the selection is roughly half Neo Geo games. There's nothing wrong with neo geo games, but it would have been just fine to limit their release to maybe one a week? Or maybe have a few super nes games in there to round it out a little.

JaseMath

No so if there is an issue Id inspect the dock and console closely

there were a few reports of faulty manutfactured docks. Thats kind of where the whole screen scratching thing began

Check switch connection as well

Make sure dock isnt squished or damaged
Dock isn't squished—90 degrees up and down—and my screen hasn't been scratched to hell, either. What do you mean by check the Switch connections?

Sundayafternoon

Neo Member
Anyone having a problem where if you leave the switch in sleep mode docked for long enough when you remove it from the dock and turn it on to open anything it just freezes?

jblank83

Just remember that it's only a JoyCon purchase away. It's not like a special edition piece of hardware where you have to pay full price to replicate it.

I'll hold onto my $80. At least until Nintendo releases more/different colors/editions.

I just wish I had made a different initial decision. That neon is so swanky.

It's always quite easy to tell if someone has actually held a Switch before by whether they say "wow it's much smaller than I thought" or "it's really not portable"
I own a Switch and played one before it came out and I still think it's not that portable. Which I judge using the "does it fit in my pocket" metric. I honestly think the system is pretty damn big and heavy for what it is.

Granted, I don't think the original 3DS is that portable either by the same metric. I have a bag for both, and my Switch case is always in my Harley Quinn bag.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Brought the system to work over the last couple days, showed it to four people:
- male friend, late 20s who chose to buy Zelda for the Wii U instead. He said that if he'd known how good Zelda was going to be, he would have bought the Switch version + a Switch instead.
- male friend, around 40, hasn't played games much, if at all since he was a kid/teen. He wanted me to bring it cause he was intrigued. Liked it very much.
- female friend, late 20s, sort of a geek (massive GTA fan): played the Snipperclips demo with the 40-yo friend, loved it, wants to buy one. The two of them had a great time with Snipperclips.
- female coworker, late 20s, doesn't play much, except the odd Super Nintendo game at parties. Saw the other two play Snipperclips, thought it looked cute and fun. She was surprised by how small the system is (to which I replied I basically had the opposite reaction: bigger than I thought). Also, she didn't know it just switches from handheld to console with the dock, she was like "that's awesome!"
- another female friend in her late 20s hasn't seen the system or Zelda running, apart from the trailer I showed her and some artwork. She's in love with the artstyle and the animation. I wanted to show her the game and the system today but I didn't have time, sadly.

Yeah, this thing has potential, at least among young adults. I might show it to a couple more people who I know might be interested.

Most embarassing is how it seems like the selection is roughly half Neo Geo games. There's nothing wrong with neo geo games, but it would have been just fine to limit their release to maybe one a week? Or maybe have a few super nes games in there to round it out a little.

I'm with you.

Honestly would have been better if they launched with literally just Zelda/shovel knight/Snipper clips and said yeah it's a small launch but all of the games are great.

I love the system but I really wish the joycons were significantly bigger, or I could buy bigger ones. They are just way too small for my hands.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
- female coworker, late 20s, doesn't play much, except the odd Super Nintendo game at parties. Saw the other two play Snipperclips, thought it looked cute and fun. She was surprised by how small the system is (to which I replied I basically had the opposite reaction: bigger than I thought). Also, she didn't know it just switches from handheld to console with the dock, she was like "that's awesome!"

When the Virtual Console launches multiplayer NES and SNES games on this thing are gonna be great. Just pop off a joycon and you've got some immediate Super Mario World, Super Mario Kart, Bubble Bobble, Dr. Mario, Tecmo Bowl, and whatever else action going immediately.

I love the system but I really wish the joycons were significantly bigger, or I could buy bigger ones. They are just way too small for my hands.

Maybe look into a set of these?

52338941_Alt02

When the Virtual Console launches multiplayer NES and SNES games on this thing are gonna be great. Just pop off a joycon and you've got some immediate Super Mario World, Super Mario Kart, Bubble Bobble, Dr. Mario, Tecmo Bowl, and whatever else action going immediately.

THIS! Cannot wait for VC to go live

Ein Bear

I'm desperate for Virtual Console on this thing. I want to play Super Metroid in bed damnit.

I own a Switch and played one before it came out and I still think it's not that portable. Which I judge using the "does it fit in my pocket" metric. I honestly think the system is pretty damn big and heavy for what it is.

Granted, I don't think the original 3DS is that portable either by the same metric. I have a bag for both, and my Switch case is always in my Harley Quinn bag.

With the possible exception of the Gameboy Micro, no handheld has ever really been small enough to fit in a pocket.

The Switch is pretty big, but I'd say it's just as portable as any other comparable device, since I'd argue you're firmly in 'you need a bag' territory with any of them.

You don't think an iPad or MacBook is portable then?

52338941_Alt02

I like them attached to the switch itself.

I bought a pro controller for non attached play.

bumpkin

I'm desperate for Virtual Console on this thing. I want to play Super Metroid in bed damnit.

With the possible exception of the Gameboy Micro, no handheld has ever really been small enough to fit in a pocket.

The Switch is pretty big, but I'd say it's just as portable as any other comparable device, since I'd argue you're firmly in 'you need a bag' territory with any of them.
Do you not own a N3DS?

Rizific

are you able to move downloaded games between internal memory and a memory card? Want to dl snipperclips before heading out today and plan on buying a card while out. Also I'm abroad at the moment in the Philippines and am originally from the US. Will I run into any compatibility issues dling from the store here?

McNum

Quick question. With the Splatoon 2 testfire looming near, I was wondering, I have a USB-LAN converter for my Wii U. Can I plug that into the Switch dock to get a wired connection when it's docked?

Kudo

Potential home fix for the people experiencing dodgy WiFi, I managed to connect few times with luck before but from my room it didn't connect even once when the system was on, in Sleep Mode it seemed to still get new News so that was weird, no matter how many times I reboot the system it just wouldn't connect to our WiFi, even if it showed strong signal.
Then I did what the system told me, entered IP manually and what do you know.. now I can get internet connection consistently from here.
If you're having issues I'd urge you to give it a try.

Vena

So due to some suddenly owned store credit from my mom and running into one in the wild in chicagoland, I now have a switch. Much sooner than I had anticipated.

Got it decked out and setup. But then after/while applying a tempered glass protector I noticed a dust particle under the screen.

What are my options here? It's out of the way and not in the main display area, so it can be ignored. With the lack of units at retail returning it for a replacement is a non-statement. Do I send it in for repair? I may just ignore it.

So if I were to invest in a switch just for Zelda (until a must buy comes around), is the Pro controller a must? I'm trying to keep the costs to a minimum and it seems pretty pricey.

It took a bit getting used to it but now i find the JoyCon grip super comfortable and the analog sticks quite precise.

Still, I just bought a pro controller because I found it a bit cheaper and we're 3 people at my house.

McNum

Potential home fix for the people experiencing dodgy WiFi, I managed to connect few times with luck before but from my room it didn't connect even once when the system was on, in Sleep Mode it seemed to still get new News so that was weird, no matter how many times I reboot the system it just wouldn't connect to our WiFi, even if it showed strong signal.
Then I did what the system told me, entered IP manually and what do you know.. now I can get internet connection consistently from here.
If you're having issues I'd urge you to give it a try.
I actually had some issues getting the wired stuff to work, but... heh. Rule of thumb for troubleshooting: Reboot it!

Which was actually better hidden than I thought. To Restart a Switch, you have to hold the Power button for three seconds, choose Power Options from the menu that appears and then pick "Restart". If you're in portable mode "Power Off" is available, too, but not in docked mode.

depward

Starting chemo in two weeks and I think a Switch would work really well for me. Was kind of waiting for Xenoblade and whenever MonHun was going to be released but thinking Zelda would be a good distraction.

Ninja Dom

I don't think I'm gonna be able to make any of the Splatfest time slots this weekend!!

Dammit!!!

Starting chemo in two weeks and I think a Switch would work really well for me. Was kind of waiting for Xenoblade and whenever MonHun was going to be released but thinking Zelda would be a good distraction.

Oh it definitely is - 100 hours you can easily get from Zelda.

Good Luck!!

Mr. F

Banned
Anyone having trouble with wifi connectivity? It was working without issue up until a few days ago, and now refuses to connect to my router. Tried resetting both and everything :/

japtor

Every time I see a new color Joycon mockup, I hope for a second it's real. I hope we end up with a ton of colors and designs, and of course a price drop on Joycons.
I already have a second set of neons but would be down for a set of (GameCube) purple and (spice) orange ones...excessive but I figure I'd just give one of my red/blue sets to my sister's family (presuming they get a Switch eventually).
...oh. Reading here, I suddenly realized that I've had my Switch for some twenty days and haven't tried out the grip yet. Being able to hold the two controller halves freehand-style has been among the most comfortable control setups I've ever used. I sort of had a taste of this with the Wii, though the cord added some awkwardness and the remote wasn't as ergonomical.

So comfort aside, is there any particular reason I might want to try out the grip?

...or those strap things. Haven't touched those either.
Yeah I haven't used mine much either, I basically just use it to hold my second set of joycons. There's pics of that purple modded one going around today with the grip taken apart, leaving just the middle section. Someone mentioned doing the same thing as a compact holder for the joycons, I might do the same.

Kudo

Anyone having trouble with wifi connectivity? It was working without issue up until a few days ago, and now refuses to connect to my router. Tried resetting both and everything :/

I did, until I set it manually. Error messages were not able to obtain IP and not strong enough connectivity, now works fine.

looking forward to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe in a few weeks...never played any of the DLC for the Wii U version so a lot of it will be all new to me

I'll make Dry Bones a champion kart racer yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom