• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

me0wish

So if I were to invest in a switch just for Zelda (until a must buy comes around), is the Pro controller a must? I'm trying to keep the costs to a minimum and it seems pretty pricey.

Depends on who are you asking, a few of my friends find it uncomfortable, most of them find it fine. For me, joycons are my preferred way to play that I only used the pro once. The grip is also pretty good.

Inotti

I'm one of those people who actually prefer joycon grip over pro controller. At least for me the pro controller is not necessary.

Experien

Wow, MK8 is a full $60? Super lame, but I don't know what I expected from Nintendo.

For the Switch? Why wouldn't it be?

-Great game remastered
-All the DLC
-New characters
-New karts/pieces
-Whole new mode w/many maps to go with it
-Return of old items
-New dual-item mechanic
-1080p gameplay

And I am sure I am missing something.

Starting chemo in two weeks and I think a Switch would work really well for me. Was kind of waiting for Xenoblade and whenever MonHun was going to be released but thinking Zelda would be a good distraction.

It's a great game to get lost in. I've done 40 hours of just exploring the World, cooking and collecting with the odd shrine.

All the best for your treatment!

F34R

-Great game remastered
-All the DLC
-New characters
-New karts/pieces
-Return of old items
-New dual-item mechanic
-1080p gameplay

Approaching the date to be a three year old game.. it should be $39.99 at best.

Experien

Starting chemo in two weeks and I think a Switch would work really well for me. Was kind of waiting for Xenoblade and whenever MonHun was going to be released but thinking Zelda would be a good distraction.

I'd say do it! I have 70 hours in Zelda, beat it but only 80 shrines out of 120. Plus next week Snake Pass and Has-Been Heroes comes out (which both look fun and only $20 a piece) and the following week LEGO Undercover comes out if you missed it on the Wii U. Great game and it has co-op so if you have guests, someone could join you.

Snipperclips is quite delightful so that could be a good pick-me up but it is best 2 player. And FAST RMX is a sweet racing game that looks nice and has online play if you will have wifi.

Hope things go well for you!

Approaching the date to be a three year old game.. it should be $39.99 at best.
Think of it this way; $30 for the base game, $20 for the existing DLC and charged add ons, and $10 for the new battle mode and maps. Plus you should have picked it up for $36 when it was on sale.

The Pro Controller is solid. But it's no Dualshock 4.

I'm glad Nintendo is trying new things with controllers, but none of them have felt great to me since the GC controller.

The Orzly glass protector finally fucking arrived today. Fortunately, I was able to apply it perfectly since I almost always find a way to fuck these things up, so I'm glad. The console screen had survived up until today, though, but better safe than sorry, I guess.

The Pro Controller is solid. But it's no Dualshock 4.

Man, do I disagree. It's no DualShock 4 in a positive way for me. It's crazy comfortable and has a very respectable battery life.

-Great game remastered
-All the DLC
-New characters
-New karts/pieces
-Return of old items
-New dual-item mechanic
-1080p gameplay

What exactly is remastered about it?

Is it remastered like TLOU was remastered for PS4? Meaning - are there actual graphical improvements?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Don't do this to me.

How many courses etc!?

It's only 4 that I see with 5 or 6 golfers with slight variations in stats. But it's so damn good that I don't know if I care about the lack of courses. If you enjoy Hot Shots at all, you will LOVE this game.

Man I almost impulse bought this earlier...now my finger is hovering over the buy button again lol....

I haven't thought twice abou any of the Neo Geo games (OK I lied - I bought KOF 98 and probably won't grab 94). I support turning the Switch into a good Neo Geo emulator.

Anyone else having an issue with one of the Joycon's battery draining when it's turned off in portable mode? I'm wondering if the Joycon slightly gets moved when it's in my travel case and the battery starts going down. So far pretty much anytime I bring it with me one of the Joycon's battery is already drained decently...

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I'm suddenly having internet troubles.

About four hours ago, I was unable to log into the eShop or even test my internet connection. It still doesn't work. I keep getting an error code (2811-5001) when trying to use the eShop which seems to indicate that my internet is at fault. I also repeatedly get an error code 2160-0103 (and one time 2160-0202) while trying to test my internet that doesn't appear on Nintendo's support site. I was able to successfully establish a connection with my router with both WiFi and ethernet, so I know that I can at least connect with my router. I'm able to use the internet just fine with every other device I own.

Is anyone else having this issue today? I'm on the west coast of the US. I checked Nintendo's network status page, and all that's mentioned is something for 3DS.

EDIT: Problem was fixed by turning the system off and on.

Jerm411

It's only 4 that I see with 5 or 6 golfers with slight variations in stats. But it's so damn good that I don't know if I care about the lack of courses. If you enjoy Hot Shots at all, you will LOVE this game.

I haven't thought twice abou any of the Neo Geo games (OK I lied - I bought KOF 98 and probably won't grab 94). I support turning the Switch into a good Neo Geo emulator.

Yeah I bought it and yeah it's damn awesome....thanks for the recommendation lol....

Do you guys use auto brightness or set it manually? I currently have it manually because I'm playing in the same lighting condition most of the time.

About four hours ago, I was unable to log into the eShop or even test my internet connection. It still doesn't work. I keep getting an error code (2811-5001) when trying to use the eShop which seems to indicate that my internet is at fault. I also repeatedly get an error code 2160-0103 (and one time 2160-0202) while trying to test my internet that doesn't appear on Nintendo's support site. I was able to successfully establish a connection with my router with both WiFi and ethernet, so I know that I can at least connect with my router. I'm able to use the internet just fine with every other device I own.

Is anyone else having this issue today? I'm on the west coast of the US. I checked Nintendo's network status page, and all that's mentioned is something for 3DS.
I've only tested eShop and its been down all day for like 12 hours straight.

The profile page says that I'm online so I doubt its a problem with my Switch. The eShop just must be dead for some reason. 3DS eShop works for some reason. Connected to Switch eShop many times before today and it always worked flawlessly.

Does Amazon not ship games internationally anymore? I'm trying to buy Binding of Isaac but every time I get to checkout it says I cannot proceed due to my address

It's frustrating because I have $30 Amazon credit

e: nvm it's just Isaac is restricted for internation shipping for some reason

You don't think an iPad or MacBook is portable then?
By my same criteria, nope! They require a separate bag. The Switch portability situation doesn't really bother me as much as the 3DS did, because the Switch never really sold itself as a "put in your pocket" kinda deal, while the 3DS did. I'm happy carrying my Switch case in my bag, but I loathe the fact that the 3DS isn't small enough to fit in my pocket... and that we never got a 3DS Lite >:C

Protome

I had this issue yesterday, had to reboot the Switch and it went away.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I've only tested eShop and its been down all day for like 12 hours straight.

The profile page says that I'm online so I doubt its a problem with my Switch. The eShop just must be dead for some reason. 3DS eShop works for some reason. Connected to Switch eShop many times before today and it always worked flawlessly.

I had this issue yesterday, had to reboot the Switch and it went away.

I came back to this thread to update my post, and it seems I got two responses in the meantime! I managed to fix the issue by actually turning the system off and on like what Protome did. (I also unplugged it from the wall for 30 seconds, but I'm not sure if that was necessary.) My system gave no indication that I was offline, so I would try restarting the system, WiiRevolution1.

Charamiwa

Banned
I have a problem: I was playing Zelda in handeld mode, and all of a sudden I couldn't leave the game. Couldn't go to sleep mode or the home menu. Holding those buttons did bring up the power menu (where you can turn off the console) but I was still controlling the game in the background, not the actual menu. After that I coouldn't bring up the menu again.

So now I have Zelda running with no way of getting out. Anyone had this problem before? I'm trying to let the battery run out right now, to see if it can reset the console. I really hope I can fix this in time for the Splatoon testfire.

roytheone

So, is the battery percentage indicator broken for someone else? It jumps all over the place . It went from 60 % to 12 % from only playing for 45 minutes last night. Then i shut down the system for the night, start it up this morning and the battery percentage is....40 %. Unless it can magically charge up it's battery wireless, something weird is going on.

deleted

I have a problem: I was playing Zelda in handeld mode, and all of a sudden I couldn't leave the game. Couldn't go to sleep mode or the home menu. Holding those buttons did bring up the power menu (where you can turn off the console) but I was still controlling the game in the background, not the actual menu. After that I coouldn't bring up the menu again.

So now I have Zelda running with no way of getting out. Anyone had this problem before? I'm trying to let the battery run out right now, to see if it can reset the console. I really hope I can fix this in time for the Splatoon testfire.

Have you tried to restart? Try bringing up the quick menu and use touch input to force a system reboot. If that doesn't work, the battery solution would be my next try.

Protome

Wait, does the Switch not save your credit card info? I to type it in every time I purchase something? Really?

Between this, the eshop's terrible layout (recent releases tab only, no titles until you click through to the full page) and the return of friend codes almost across the board Nintendo took a step back in online functionality from their previous systems.

It honestly wouldn't shock me if the Splatoon Testfire doesn't have the ability to play with friends.

I came back to this thread to update my post, and it seems I got two responses in the meantime! I managed to fix the issue by actually turning the system off and on like what Protome did. (I also unplugged it from the wall for 30 seconds, but I'm not sure if that was necessary.) My system gave no indication that I was offline, so I would try restarting the system, WiiRevolution1.

I also had no indication I was offline. In fact I went into the settings and ran a network test and it worked fine, it was specifically when trying to connect to the eShop it was having issues.

Charamiwa

Banned
Have you tried to restart? Try bringing up the quick menu and use touch input to force a system reboot. If that doesn't work, the battery solution would be my next try.

I was able to do that one time, but the touch input didn't work. I was still controlling Zelda in the background. I'll do the battery thing now.

iMax

Is there any way to tell when a Switch was manufactured? Trying to get a newer unit with the fixed Joy-Con/dock!

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Between this, the eshop's terrible layout (recent releases tab only, no titles until you click through to the full page) and the return of friend codes almost across the board Nintendo took a step back in online functionality from their previous systems.

It honestly wouldn't shock me if the Splatoon Testfire doesn't have the ability to play with friends.

I also had no indication I was offline. In fact I went into the settings and ran a network test and it worked fine, it was specifically when trying to connect to the eShop it was having issues.
And yet Nintendo is going to be charging for their online service later in thr year. Nintendo need to get their act together, and fast.

Protome

And yet Nintendo is going to be charging for their online service later in thr year. Nintendo need to get their act together, and fast.

Definitely. They need to clarify their app plans too. If they're actually restricting things like voice chat and messaging to the app then that ensures I won't be paying for their online service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom