• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morokh

Anyone here had half their screen flicker when on low-ish battery ?
Was around 30% yesterday and had the left side flickering like mad and now fully charged up everything seems fine ...

RC0101

Got my Switch on Friday through Amazon but have to wait until Thursday for Zelda to get here! I wasn't expecting to find a Switch for at least a week or two so I bought it for $45 on Ebay. So far I really am impressed with it and can see the potential it has.

Wadiwasi

Banned
So, I have had the switch for a little over a day and have messed about with it quite a bit. My thoughts on the device, OS, and Zelda.

The tablet is as big as I expected from seeing pictures and videos but it is really solid, has some heft to it, which I like. Once you connect the joycons I thought it was really wide but it didn't really take away from my experience in playing with it at all. I have to say I really like it in both modes, on the television and portable. The puppy dog face controller isn't as weird as I was expecting. Will eventually pick up a pro controller but can put that off for longer now because it doesn't feel all that strange. Have noticed that it doesn't pick up the WiFi signal as strong as it should.

The OS is amazing, I am a big fan of minimalistic design with regards to operating systems, Web pages, etc; and this is clean and snappy. Everything is pretty fast. My only complaint is that stupid, repetitive noise it makes when downloading, much like on the 3DS. If Nintendo really wants a noise there, they should just use some of their first party music from games (Mario, Zelda songs).

I started off playing Zelda in portable mode and at the very beginning when you walk to the edge of a cliff like in the trailer, it really hits you as to what a beautiful marvel this game is, much more so than any video or impression. Loving this game so far, howevet combat seems a little weird to me for some reason and I really don't like weapon and shield durability.

Didn't think I would be satisfied with my purchase for just one game, but I am. Especially because you can see the potential of the device.

Zekes!

If I want to test my left joycon for any issues, how should I do it? I tried standing several feet from my Switch and hiding the joycon behind me, and it was fine. I also tried it while i stood in the kitchen and looked through our window into the living room, holding the joycon low and trying to obscure it, and it was still fine.

Hoping maybe mine don't have any issues

Kyuur

Checked out the eShop earlier today since I'm coming close to finishing Zelda; I liked how minimal it was Day 1 but oh man is it garbage now that VC-ish and shovelware is starting to hit.

NateDrake

Checked out the eShop earlier today since I'm coming close to finishing Zelda; I liked how minimal it was Day 1 but oh man is it garbage now that VC-ish and shovelware is starting to hit.

I'm sure they'll update things as games get released to make the navigation easier since I Am Setsuna is now missing from the main page unless you search for it. They need to add categories or something. But what shovelware has hit the eShop?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I'm sure they'll update things as games get released to make the navigation easier since I Am Setsuna is now missing from the main page unless you search for it. They need to add categories or something. But what shovelware has hit the eShop?

Vroom in the Night Sky :p. But yeah, can't think of any true shovelware apart from that.

What's garbage is the news section if you have accounts across multiple regions. Now I get news in French, English AND Japanese. I don't necessarily mind it in theory, but what this means is that I get the same piece of news in three different languages as a result. So cluttered.

TheExodu5

Banned
Brought the Switch and Zelda for my gf's brothers to try. One of them was immediately sold, and now he wants one. He's the type of person to spend very little on video games, and it took him all of 5 minutes to say "I want one". That's enough to tell me that this thing has some serious potential.

That being said, I think Nintendo is foolish to not have included a system selling party game in here. Hell, 1-2 Switch should have been included with the system. I could just imagine so many people being sold on the system if I brought it with me to a casual settings and it took over as the party game of the evening. Nintendo kind of dropped the ball there.

abbyabs

abbyabs

I really love using the Joycons in wand mode. So comfortable and effortless in Zelda.

The only way i play that joy con grip is awful, only issue i have is my right hand hurts a bit after a while. I guess my thumb needs to get used to moving downwards instead of diagonally down and left.

I had my first run-in with the left Joycon issue in a "real world" scenario today.

I don't have a TV and when I first got the Switch weeks ago I did a quick test for the desync issue in kickstand mode and was able to trigger it by covering the joycons with my hand even from a meter or two away, but I didn't care much since I was never intending to use the Switch docked or played wirelessly from any considerable distance, and completely ​covering it or putting it behind my back was an unrealistic use-case...

Today I visited my friend and took the Switch and dock with me just for kicks and to give it a brief test on his TV:

iPhVWlV.jpg

I recon I was sitting no farther than 2 meters away from the dock and at first the left Joycon could not even begin to sync when it asks you to press both shoulder buttons at the same time. I had to stand up and take a step forward​ until it registered. Then I sat back on the chair and played some Zelda, and very quickly faced the desync issue with Link not responding to my movement commands (or he keeps walking after I've changed direction). I had to consciously​ hold the joycons in a way to try to minimize the surface area that my hand covers it. And it still wasn't perfect.

Like I said it won't affect me 99% of the time, but it's disappointing to actually see how bad and real the issue actually is. I thought it was exaggerated before.

Can't send mine to Nintendo since I imported my Switch. I guess I might do the DIY fix just to know that in the odd chance I do play on a TV in the future I'd actually be able to.

blinkz

Just finished Zelda what a great game. Beat all 120 shrines but there is no chance in hell im looking for all the korok seeds.

Thinking about selling the console and getting one again when more games release.

Any suggestions on a fair price for a slightly used neon switch with Zelda?

Switch seems like a wild sucess for Nintendo if their idea was to get hardcore gamers now and casuals later it's kind of failed. Everybody I know wants a switch but there is only few games even worth a damn.

hokahey

Bought Bomberman today. Love the 2 player story mode.

1-2 Switch is one hell of a party game. Have had a lot of fun with it at parties.

And Zelda. My god. Greatest game of all time? Just maybe.

Also - played Zelda non-stop with my son on a 4 hour flight. Really got to experience the novelty of what makes the system so great.

Zero complaints.

NolbertoS

Just finished Zelda what a great game. Beat all 120 shrines but there is no chance in hell im looking for all the korok seeds.

Thinking about selling the console and getting one again when more games release.

Why would you sell a console for a loss on your end and then buy it full price later again.

blinkz

Why would you sell a console for a loss on your end and then buy it full price later again.

Really never thought about it. Most likely by the time I repurchased it would have a price cut. I'm not 100% selling it although it's going to collect dust until at least Mario comes out.

dolabla

Finally found/got the Hori Playstand today! Love it! This little thing was a beast to find. Found it at Toys R Us. They had 2 left. Now I can cancel my backordered 1-2 month wait Amazon order.

Fireblend

Banned
So checking on the list of releases I noticed Tumbleseed was supposed to be released this month... Was it delayed? I couldn't find any news on it.

Anyone here had half their screen flicker when on low-ish battery ?
Was around 30% yesterday and had the left side flickering like mad and now fully charged up everything seems fine ...

Yes I had this problem too when my battery got to a low power state. I took some video of this happening & returned my Switch to where I bought it from & got a new replacement unit. My whole screen flickered like it was a faulty/corrupt graphics card. I'd return your Switch if I were you as this is not normal & shouldn't happen.

Tubie

I had my first run-in with the left Joycon issue in a "real world" scenario today.

I don't have a TV and when I first got the Switch weeks ago I did a quick test for the desync issue in kickstand mode and was able to trigger it by covering the joycons with my hand even from a meter or two away, but I didn't care much since I was never intending to use the Switch docked or played wirelessly from any considerable distance, and completely ​covering it or putting it behind my back was an unrealistic use-case...

Today I visited my friend and took the Switch and dock with me just for kicks and to give it a brief test on his TV:

I recon I was sitting no farther than 2 meters away from the dock and at first the left Joycon could not even begin to sync when it asks you to press both shoulder buttons at the same time. I had to stand up and take a step forward​ until it registered. Then I sat back on the chair and played some Zelda, and very quickly faced the desync issue with Link not responding to my movement commands (or he keeps walking after I've changed direction). I had to consciously​ hold the joycons in a way to try to minimize the surface area that my hand covers it. And it still wasn't perfect.

Like I said it won't affect me 99% of the time, but it's disappointing to actually see how bad and real the issue actually is. I thought it was exaggerated before.

Can't send mine to Nintendo since I imported my Switch. I guess I might do the DIY fix just to know that in the odd chance I do play on a TV in the future I'd actually be able to.

It seems like 50/50 right now with that left joycon.

I tried really hard to replicate it today, but my joycons both worked perfectly no matter what I tried.

I don't have a huge house tho, the max distance I could get from the TV was about 3 meters (This is me moving the TV a bit so I could have a line of sight from the kitchen). I tried the left joycon behind my back with both hands covering it at that distance, and it was still working normally.

Has anyone had problems or heard anyone that's has had problems with their switch overheating and going into sleep mode while docked? Happened to me twice today while playing Zelda after an hour or so of playing. It's warm in my apartment but not THAT warm, maybe 70 degrees f. And there is a ton of space around the switch. I may have to send it in to Nintendo. :(

Maybe the fan isn't working properly? I can BARELY hear it while playing.

derder

To folks looking for third party options on charging their Switches on the go, I'm using these as my own setup. Quoting myself from the powerbank thread here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=232273393&postcount=348

Been using it for about a week now, and true to its specs, my battery charge has never dropped below 100% while playing Zelda and Fast RMX outside of home. Been marathoning Zelda looking for shrines, and my playtime clocks in the double digits (16 hours at one time, was 12 hours a day back), and I had more than half of that playtime on tabletop mode with the QB820 doing charging duty. I was interested with the Anker 26,800mAh USB-PD powerbank model, but Anker wasn't interested in entertaining shipping to my side of the world, so I had to look for other alternatives. For wall chargers, I'm currently waiting for the Anker PowerPort 5+, should be here next Monday. The Tronsmart U5P charger pictured earlier, for some odd reason does not charge the Switch or the QB820 powerbank. Banking all hope on the Anker PowerPort 5+.

I've also tried to see if I can charge the Switch while docked with these third party charging options: the QB820 causes the green LED charge light to blink on the dock, but no charging notification, the Tronsmart U5P charger doesn't either.

I am posting the disclaimer again, just to cover my ass. It works for me, and I hadn't had any problems so far, but other variables may differ that it may hurt your Switch. I'm living in a country where the voltage is 220-240V/50-60Hz, unlike the American and Japanese 110V/60Hz voltage rating.
very cool

Meesh

What're the odds Switch sees an hd release of RE4 with joy con pointer controlls? I mean it's one of the best releases in the series and I've bought multiple copies myself... wouldn't mind a stab at playing this on the go. Does Capcom care enough to give it a go?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It seems like 50/50 right now with that left joycon.

I tried really hard to replicate it today, but my joycons both worked perfectly no matter what I tried.

I don't have a huge house tho, the max distance I could get from the TV was about 3 meters (This is me moving the TV a bit so I could have a line of sight from the kitchen). I tried the left joycon behind my back with both hands covering it at that distance, and it was still working normally.

Mine seem to degrade as the battery runs down - or maybe something happens in the house because they're fine fresh off the switch for a couple hours, then go to shit

Has anyone had problems or heard anyone that's has had problems with their switch overheating and going into sleep mode while docked? Happened to me twice today while playing Zelda after an hour or so of playing. It's warm in my apartment but not THAT warm, maybe 70 degrees f. And there is a ton of space around the switch. I may have to send it in to Nintendo. :(

Maybe the fan isn't working properly? I can BARELY hear it while playing.

Not shutting down, but at one point playing Zelda I could hear the fan from across the room so it was going full tilt. Was quite distracting. This is from 8-10ft away over the top of the sound coming out of my speakers too

Charadis

Used Switches I've seen on eBay are still going above retail price + tax (i.e., around $380 - 425 complete itself, neon, maybe more depending what is included). I think you can sell a used Switch, especially the Neon SKU, for a bit above retail and not sweat on any loss. Only risk would be dishonest buyers

For anyone who has paired Joy-Cons to PC, is there something obvious I'm missing, or have I just run into some incompatibility as happens with thousands of variations of PC software/hardware? I go to add a Bluetooth device, hold the Sync button on the Joy-Con, and it immediately shows up as a possible device to connect to. However, once I actually select it it sits there attempting to pair for a while until I just get "No pairing response received".

Futureman

I'm curious... I got my Switch from Amazon and on the box there was no tape holding it shut and the none of the plastic baggies inside were sealed. Every larger electronic I've purchased has had a clear plastic sticker holding the outside cardboard box sealed and baggies inside sealed with the cables and stuff.

Was my unit most likely returned? Or are they all like this? I have zero issues so it doesn't really matter but was just wondering.

As far as impressions, I'm sure the pro controller would be nice, but I love the Joy Con grip. It's a TAD small but not "go out and buy $70 controller" small. Realllly happy with my Switch. My GF was too tired last night for co-op Snipperclips so hopefully we'll try that tonight. Zelda is a BEAST.

NateDrake

I'm curious... I got my Switch from Amazon and on the box there was no tape holding it shut and the none of the plastic baggies inside were sealed. Every larger electronic I've purchased has had a clear plastic sticker holding the outside cardboard box sealed and baggies inside sealed with the cables and stuff.

Was my unit most likely returned? Or are they all like this? I have zero issues so it doesn't really matter but was just wondering.

As far as impressions, I'm sure the pro controller would be nice, but I love the Joy Con grip. It's a TAD small but not "go out and buy $70 controller" small. Realllly happy with my Switch. My GF was too tired last night for co-op Snipperclips so hopefully we'll try that tonight. Zelda is a BEAST.

All came like that.

jblank83

Was my unit most likely returned? Or are they all like this?

This is totally normal. That's how the switch is shipped.

Tubie

I got mine from Best Buy and it also came like this.

I was afraid too, but everything did look brand new, so I figured it's just working as intended.

Noctilum

Nintendo does not seal the boxes.

I love my Switch. My main complaint so far is the lack of StreetPass. I've always been a huge StreetPass user on 3DS and it's a total drag that there's no Switch support.

Do we know whether, from a tech perspective, Switch has what would be required for StreetPass implementation? In other words, could it be patched in in a future software/OS update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom