• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vena

I finished Zelda. I need more games dammit. Anything else worthwhile?

Voez (rhythm game, quite good)
I Am Setsuna (old school RPG, ~20 hours long, decent)
Shovel Knight (A+ platformer, tons of content in Treasure Trove)
Fast RMX (fast paced racer, AI is a cheating bastard!)
Binding of Isaac (great roguelike shmup of sorts)

Those are my current recommendations. Snake Pass is this week, which is probably going to be really good, too.

ngower

lol, TSA Agent was just like, "Hey, that's a Nintendo Switch!" as I was going through security at Logan. Mentioned how he heard that it was breaking sales records. At least it has some decent public awareness.

I had my dock in my bag and TSA were like WTF is in your bag? an I was like great question, I have no idea what you're talking about...completely forgetting about the dock. It was fun getting my bag searched.

japtor

Yes it could be patched in. But I don't we'll eher See it on Switch because afaik this was one of the reasons why 3DS has such a terrible standby battery life.
Yeah I don't see it coming back cause battery usage while sleeping, barring whatever trick to keep up battery life better. One lesser alternative would be some implementation while awake/playing and already using more power for the rest of the system.
I was like "Look at all these titles coming out" at launch. But I think the lack of console features (I use consoles for A LOT of media) bums me out, as does the drought.
Heh I could've used YouTube recently on a trip. We tried using the TV's YouTube to show a person some clip...which sucked as expected, so ended up just using my iPad. I had the Switch hooked up so it was right there too, but no YouTube.

Game wise I've actually been fine with Zelda for single player still, after god knows how many hours. For multiplayer I have Bomberman, 1-2-Switch, and SnipperClips. The one that has gotten the most play though is the Japanese Puyo Puyo Tetris demo. I feel like they're missing out on a nice window right now between launch and Mario Kart...vs coming out on the same day as MK.
Not talking just a cable. I have a few USB-C PD compliant AC plugs. Using any of them with the dock when you put the switch in an error shows on the screen saying the wrong plug is being used.

So having accurate power rating alone is not enough for the dock.
Which power adapters are you using to be exact?

Which power adapters are you using to be exact?

Google Pixel OEM plug, as well as an apple plug that I don't know the specific model for as it isn't my plug and I'm not at home.

Also a boatload of various 5v/QC3 USB-A plugs, though wasn't surprised that those don't work.

nubbe

Google Pixel OEM plug, as well as an apple plug that I don't know the specific model for as it isn't my plug and I'm not at home.

Also a boatload of various 5v/QC3 USB-A plugs, though wasn't surprised that those don't work.

a phone adapter is not enough to drive the dock
The AC adapter that comes with the system for the hub is rated at 15V 2.6A
For the Switch itself a 5V 2.1A adapter is enough

japtor

Looking at this spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vnpEXfo2HCGADdd9G2x9dMDWqENiY2kgBJUu29f_TX8/pubhtml#

The Apple chargers don't do the 15V profile and the Google USB PD charger there doesn't have enough power to match the Nintendo one. There's this 60W one, but that doesn't do 15V either.

(I asked cause "USB-PD compliant" isn't detailed enough to know one way or another)

Javier

I bought Binding of Isaac Afterbirth which I'll be playing tonight after getting home from work. This is my first time playing the game in any form.

Also, I know most of you don't care about Just Dance, but I found some interesting stuff playing it on Switch. First, the Joycons are actually quite accurate and they respond well to the movements on screen, both on the TV and tabletop mode. I played about an hour using only the left Joycon as well, and got no de-syncs, so that's a possible issue out of the way.

But one interesting thing is that when I created my in-game profile, it automatically set itself up as being Chilean, despite my Nintendo Account and linked NNID being set to the US. On Wii U the game took the country from your NNID and set the profile's country to that, but on Switch there's definitely some IP detection going on.

a phone adapter is not enough to drive the dock
The AC adapter that comes with the system for the hub is rated at 15V 2.6A
For the Switch itself a 5V 2.1A adapter is enough

Looking at this spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vnpEXfo2HCGADdd9G2x9dMDWqENiY2kgBJUu29f_TX8/pubhtml#

The Apple chargers don't do the 15V profile and the Google USB PD charger there doesn't have enough power to match the Nintendo one. There's this 60W one, but that doesn't do 15V either.

(I asked cause "USB-PD compliant" isn't detailed enough to know one way or another)

By the point I was measuring the dock I wasn't bothering to write it down so maybe I am misremembering. Will double check when I get home.

Powwa

I'm having a really annoying issue with my Switch, I don't know how it happened or what to do about it. My battery was fine until last week, was having around 3-3.5 hours of game time with Zelda but recently the battery depletes incredibly fast and it's really frustrating me. Just in 15 minutes the charge goes from %60 to %29. Fyi I'm playing it on airplane mode with default brightness (%70-75) and volume is like 4-5 bars.

Did anyone else experience such issue?

Edit: Nevermind it, apparently it is a software issue. Putting in docked mode solved the problem, at least for now.

mauaus

I'm having a really annoying issue with my Switch, I don't know how it happened or what to do about it. My battery was fine until last week, was having around 3-3.5 hours of game time with Zelda but recently the battery depletes incredibly fast and it's really frustrating me. Just in 15 minutes the charge goes from %60 to %29. Fyi I'm playing it on airplane mode with default brightness (%70-75) and volume is like 4-5 bars.

Did anyone else experience such issue?

Edit: Nevermind it, apparently it is a software issue. Putting in docked mode solved the problem, at least for now.

good to hear, no need to feed mass hysteria :p

mugwhump

Does anyone else get funny noises plugging the switch into an external speaker? I've got 2 speakers that plug in via the headphone jack, and both of them overlay this DRDRDRDRDR sound on top of the audio. The speakers work fine with my computer, and my headphones also work fine with the switch.

Anybody? Anyone got experience plugging speakers into the switch?

RC0101

It's not a huge deal but do we know about when Netflix, Amazon etc will have apps? With the ability to download movies and shows offline this would be handy for when I go on vacation this summer!

Evilmaus

Getting quite thirsty for some news on upcoming UK releases. I know there's stuff due in April, but I could really use Dragon Quest, or The Binding Of Isaac or something.

FAST Racing RMX and Master Blaster have been good distractions from Zelda at least.

jonno394

Getting quite thirsty for some news on upcoming UK releases. I know there's stuff due in April, but I could really use Dragon Quest, or The Binding Of Isaac or something.

FAST Racing RMX and Master Blaster have been good distractions from Zelda at least.

Get Snake Pass this week :)

What does everybody want next on the console?

If there was a COD or an Overwatch type game I could lay back and sink a couple hours into every night that would be amazing. Definitely very excited for NBA 2k18.

[Asmodean];232876307 said:
Curious: has anyone established what the bandwidth of the type-c connector on the switch is yet?.

I don't think its been 'confirmed', but we know its a type-c connector that handles data and displayport, so its almost certainly 2-2 lane USB 3.1 gen 2 (10gbps).

If my switch joycon drops connection will Nintendo replace it or will they try to fuck me by saying it isn't an issue? It works but of course if I put my finger in front of it the connection drops.

Vena

If my switch joycon drops connection will Nintendo replace it or will they try to fuck me by saying it isn't an issue? It works but of course if I put my finger in front of it the connection drops.

They repair them for free. You must have missed the other thread.

Picked up the Hori playstand for 13$ at target and gotta say I really like it. Ive had the switch since launch and it's the first time I've played in portable mode, did a 1v1 snipperclips air hockey tourney with the kids and wife at the kitchen table during lunch yesterday and had a blast. Felt like I was in the switch reveal trailer.

By the point I was measuring the dock I wasn't bothering to write it down so maybe I am misremembering. Will double check when I get home.

Yep, boned that up. They are running 9v while the official is 15v. Still curious if an unofficial 15v plug will work. Might pick up a 5v - 20v plug just so I have some better testing range across all devices.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
So I just played some Shovel Knight and was having some trouble playing the game with the Joycons attached to the Switch, so I detached them to try out using them as separate controllers and whoa. I think that may be the most comfortable controller configuration yet. It made Shovel Knight so much easier, so I wonder if the same will apply to Zelda? So far, I've only played Zelda in portable mode with the Joycons attached to the Switch.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

I bought Fast RMX and World of Goo thikinv they'd last me a while. Turns out World of Goo, while a good game, isn't really my thing. And it turns out Fast RMX is a poorly designed racing game that relies purely on visuals and ZOMG SPEEEED to impress so I'm pretty much done with that game at this point.

I need more Switch games. Ones I'll actually like. Binding of Isaac would be enough for a good while, but who knows when that's coming. Lego City Undercover is next week though so there's that.

rekameohs

Banned
I love my Switch. My main complaint so far is the lack of StreetPass. I've always been a huge StreetPass user on 3DS and it's a total drag that there's no Switch support.

Do we know whether, from a tech perspective, Switch has what would be required for StreetPass implementation? In other words, could it be patched in in a future software/OS update?
It would probably be better to just have a Streetpass type thing for users of the Switch phone app once it launches.

Welp, I just hit the 1000 screenshots limit on the system. Need to power off to insert a microSD card, cause I can't take one more step in Zelda without taking at least 3 more screenshots.

So I just played some Shovel Knight and was having some trouble playing the game with the Joycons attached to the Switch, so I detached them to try out using them as separate controllers and whoa. I think that may be the most comfortable controller configuration yet. It made Shovel Knight so much easier, so I wonder if the same will apply to Zelda? So far, I've only played Zelda in portable mode with the Joycons attached to the Switch.

Yeah I just got my Switch and first thing I did was play 30 mins of SK in portable mode. Joycons definitely weren't comfortable like that.

I'll try detaching them next time and see if it's better

Yeah I just got my Switch and first thing I did was play 30 mins of SK in portable mode. Joycons definitely weren't comfortable like that.

I'll try detaching them next time and see if it's better

Really? I played through all of Specter Knight campaign in portable mode, never had any issues.

Though I had played Zelda for 50+ hours with Joy-Cons at that point already (most of the time with the grip).

So I created a Japanese account to try out the dragon quest demo and holy shit, not only does the game look like ass, it runs like ass too.

How is this acceptable?

robotrock

Banned
So I created a Japanese account to try out the dragon quest demo and holy shit, not only does the game look like ass, it runs like ass too.

How is this acceptable?

Unlike Zelda, it runs better in docked mode than portable mode. I wonder why. Maybe the docked resolution is the same as the portable resolution? Not sure. It's still not really playable either way.

But yeah it's completely unacceptable.

Haunted

Welp, I just hit the 1000 screenshots limit on the system. Need to power off to insert a microSD card, cause I can't take one more step in Zelda without taking at least 3 more screenshots.
holy shit :lol

But yeah, I get it. Every couple steps is a potential wallpaper, that game is pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom