• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Preorder Thread (U.S.)

DonShula

Question to everyone here:

If Zelda wasn't being released on the Switch day one (and there wasn't some other huge nintendo launch release) would you guys wait a significant amount of time for the software to catch up before buying a Switch? Just curious :)

I figure most people are expecting to spend awhile on Zelda and have more software available when they're done with Zelda. So to answer your question, yes.

I am still curious about this as well. If I use a USB-A to USB-C cable, will it provide enough juice to charge the Switch, and will it cause any damage to the battery over the long run by charging at a slower rate?

Not entirely positive, but if it's anything like with my phone that's USB-C, Charging from USB-A to USB-C is almost not even going to be worth it. Then again, it could just be the phone (Google Pixel). But USB-C to USB-C is quick.

If Zelda wasn't being released on the Switch day one (and there wasn't some other huge nintendo launch release) would you guys wait a significant amount of time for the software to catch up before buying a Switch? Just curious :)

Nope, I still would get it Day 1. What's the point in waiting to spend the same $300 later if I'm going to buy it anyway? I might as well play it now rather than pay the same price to play it later and lose all that time.

Persona7

Banned
Nope, I still would get it Day 1. What's the point in waiting to spend the same $300 later if I'm going to buy it anyway? I might as well play it now rather than pay the same price to play it later and lose all that time.

Even if you wait until fall I doubt the price will drop more than $50. If even that. I expect a game bundle and no price drop this fall.

Does anyone see this reflected on their order status for the premium hori screen protector "Temporarily Out of Stock: Orders placed after February 16th, 5pm PST will be delivered 4-6 weeks after release date."

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NCX8UUG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I made my order the next day but I didn't get an email about any delay.

maxcriden

I figure most people are expecting to spend awhile on Zelda and have more software available when they're done with Zelda. So to answer your question, yes.

This isn't about the person you replied to, but just in general I've had difficulty understanding why those interested in Zelda are upset that there aren't more games to play, since like you I expect Zelda to take quite a bit of time. I mean, given limited time for gaming I expect it will take maybe 4-6 months but I'd figure For most at least a month to see everything they want to? I'm not used to open world games really though so maybe mostly people will play through the story and be done, and I suppose that probably won't take nearly as long, and a lot of people probably have more time to game (he said, jealously ^^)....

I'm getting more nervous by the day. I know y'all told me I wouldn't be charged likely until Thursday but my BB pre order is still in Pre-Order status and hasn't even processed yet. Hope my Switch ships to the store by Thursday.

Another way to snag one at launch, copy/pasting some advice I've been giving others:

My biggest recommendation would be:
Have you been in the BST thread in the community forum? If you're in NA especially, several posters have been selling their preorders at cost in there, and you can check anyone's feedback in the feedback thread.

Alternately if you're in NA some stores are doing first come first serve, Target I know is one, I think Walmart also, and probably some others. I'd call your local store to see how many they're getting in and if they're selling at midnight and I'd arrive early. GS is getting limited stock also so you may want to call them too.

Thanks, I'll take a look at it. Probably will try to head to a target or best buy around opening just to see if they have any and have the amazon now thing open on my phone in case it shows up there. I can't imagine it'll be super difficult to find if I go right at launch, but we'll see. Nintendo doesn't exactly have the best track record at shipping enough units for this type of thing. I've completely given up on finding a pro controller at launch if I do find the system, but hopefully those will eventually get in stock in the not too distant future.

ChubbyB

Neo Member
I'm getting more nervous by the day. I know y'all told me I wouldn't be charged likely until Thursday but my BB pre order is still in Pre-Order status and hasn't even processed yet. Hope my Switch ships to the store by Thursday.

I called the 1-800-BESTBUY (1 (888) 237-8289) number and used the automated system to check my order status.

Via that system it says my in-store pickup preorder for both switch and BotW is "preparing" even though the website still just says "preorder"

Sargon

Not entirely positive, but if it's anything like with my phone that's USB-C, Charging from USB-A to USB-C is almost not even going to be worth it. Then again, it could just be the phone (Google Pixel). But USB-C to USB-C is quick.

I'm curious whether I can use USB-A to USB-C simply to maintain a charge. In other words, if I use the USB-A port next to my bed and I'm playing BotW with the Switch plugged into that port, can I play indefinitely with the amount of power that is being supplied? My guess is that it will drain faster than it can charge, but would extend the run-time to some extent.

My Zelda order on Amazon still shows as we'll email when we have a date. Switch shows as arriving Friday, screen protector arriving March 3rd, case I ordered will arrive tomorrow.

Gotcha. Man oh man BotW looks absolutely incredible but I'm worried my Switch would collect dust once I finished it for months on if I bought one in the next few weeks.

I probably would have waited if Zelda wasn't released at launch, but I'm not personally worried about a drought. I'll have Snipperclips, Fast RMX, Tetris in April, MK in April. 1-2 Switch and Bomberman also of they review well.

I wouldn't buy the console at launch for any of those games except Zelda, but games are definitely there, IMO.

If Zelda was releasing in June, and the lineup was otherwise identical, I'd absolutely wait until June to buy a Switch, just like I did with 3DS.

Unless Splatoon 2 would then be out before Zelda, in which case that game would also sway me.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Every time this thread gets bumped, I check my order status on BB & Amazon.

ROFLMAO... yep. I'm in the same boat. And I just keep refreshing for the bump that shows shipping in my area.
giphy.gif

antonz

Best Buy order went to preparing. figure it will ship today. Still says to expect it by the 2nd. Grey Joycons and I am in Arizona

FZZ

Banned
called Best Buy rep and got a reference number still hasn't changed form processing to anything else

rep said I should get the charge on my card today or tomorrow

Should I call my Best Buy about my instore pro controllers? Still showing processing even though PayPal was charged.

Better safe then sorry imo

request a reference number as well

DonShula

This isn't about the person you replied to, but just in general I've had difficulty understanding why those interested in Zelda are upset that there aren't more games to play, since like you I expect Zelda to take quite a bit of time. I mean, given limited time for gaming I expect it will take maybe 4-6 months but I'd figure For most at least a month to see everything they want to? I'm not used to open world games really though so maybe mostly people will play through the story and be done, and I suppose that probably won't take nearly as long, and a lot of people probably have more time to game (he said, jealously ^^)....

I'm in the same boat with little time to play, so I expect it will take me a couple months. Then Mario Kart will be out. And I hate to say it, but the other launch games are complimentary to Zelda. My kids will enjoy playing 1 2 Switch for brief periods of time, so I got it. And my wife and I will play Snipperclips and Bomberman together. I almost bought Just Dance for the kids as well. I'd say this launch lineup is weak, but I have to admit I'm going to have more content than I have hours to play it.

Have a lot of you guys never pre-ordered anything?

Almost all this stuff is perfectly normal.

Unless your order has been cancelled, you are most likely fine.

You will get your switch and whatever else.

Breathe...

If by some very small chance, you don't. It's not the end of the world.

I'm in the same boat with little time to play, so I expect it will take me a couple months. Then Mario Kart will be out. And I hate to say it, but the other launch games are complimentary to Zelda. My kids will enjoy playing 1 2 Switch for brief periods of time, so I got it. And my wife and I will play Snipperclips and Bomberman together. I almost bought Just Dance for the kids as well. I'd say this launch lineup is weak, but I have to admit I'm going to have more content than I have hours to play it.

I'm basically in the same boat. Zelda will take me a while, 1 2 Switch Snipperclips and Bomberman for the wife and family (nieces and nephews). I also want to get through Nier Automata so that's my "meaty" game after Zelda. Then Mario Kart, Puyo Puyo which are both games I can enjoy with the fam. We got a baby due in June,so gotta cram this all in.

Magwik

Banned

I'd probably be there day 1 whenever the VC is up.

FZZ

Banned
Have a lot of you guys never pre-ordered anything?

Almost all this stuff is perfectly normal.

Unless your order has been cancelled, you are most likely fine.

You will get your switch and whatever else.

Breathe...

If by some very small chance, you don't. It's not the end of the world.

I mean my issue is I've never preordered online for a day 1 console

and Best Buy for some reason gets its charges blocked by Chase, and only Chase. Every Best Buy purchase over like 100 is blocked for authorization by Chase.

I pre-approved my purchase but I'm still worried.

I think my paranoia is justified rn lmao

Jeff-DSA

On the Best Buy midnight event checker, if it appears in the drop down, does that mean they're having a midnight opening? Pretty much every store in my state is showing, which seems a little off to me. Do you have to call to double check?

I've got preorders spread around like crazy.

Best Buy (store pick up) - Console (grey), Zelda, Bomberman, 1-2 Switch
Best Buy (delivery) - Neon JoyCons, Charge grip
Amazon.com - Travel case (holds console, dock, accessories), carry case, SD card
Walmart.com (in-store pickup) - Console (this one is for my brother)

Walmart.com is saying a week later for in-store pick up. If I can find a Switch on launch day, I'll grab my brother's console at that time and just cancel the Walmart.com order. Despite ordering within minutes of preorders opening, it's slated for a full week late. Doesn't make sense to delay your preorders by a full week like that. Oh, well. At worst he waits a week to get it for his kids.

DonShula

On the Best Buy midnight event checker, if it appears in the drop down, does that mean they're having a midnight opening? Pretty much every store in my state is showing, which seems a little off to me. Do you have to call to double check?

I've got preorders spread around like crazy.

Best Buy (store pick up) - Console (grey), Zelda, Bomberman, 1-2 Switch
Best Buy (delivery) - Neon JoyCons, Charge grip
Amazon.com - Travel case (holds console, dock, accessories), carry case, SD card
Walmart.com (in-store pickup) - Console (this one is for my brother)

Walmart.com is saying a week later for in-store pick up. If I can find a Switch on launch day, I'll grab my brother's console at that time and just cancel the Walmart.com order. Despite ordering within minutes of preorders opening, it's slated for a full week late. Doesn't make sense to delay your preorders by a full week like that. Oh, well. At worst he waits a week to get it for his kids.

The store is participating if it's on the list. My state only has like six stores participating but many more than that total. Edit: they've added more, but it's still not all of the stores in the state and only about half the stores in my city.

and Best Buy for some reason gets its charges blocked by Chase, and only Chase. Every Best Buy purchase over like 100 is blocked for authorization by Chase.

Chase debit card?

or credit?

Shouldn't be an issue for a credit card. I've spent thousands at best buy on my chase sapphire. Never had a problem.

Lgndryhr

For those worrying.

In store orders and in store pickups I wouldn't look for any movement until Wednesday at the earliest.

For online delivery orders, the logistics is based on your distance from a warehouse so some will get status updates sooner than others.

Einhander

I still can't believe Zelda is the only high quality Switch game releasing on launch day, and even worse, Zelda and Splatoon 2 are seemingly the only high quality Switch games releasing in 2017, unless Mario Odyssey makes it for a Holiday 2017 release. Even so, despite all of that, I'd expect between 5-10 high quality Switch games from Nintendo and their third party partners. I have Switch preordered at Best Buy, but I keep debating with myself if I should cancel my preorder or not. There will be a serious drought of games in 2017, so I have plenty of time to pick one up. It comes down to how much I truly want to play the new Zelda game. I think I'd rather play Skyward Sword for the first time before I start Breath of the Wild.

maxcriden

Thanks, I'll take a look at it. Probably will try to head to a target or best buy around opening just to see if they have any and have the amazon now thing open on my phone in case it shows up there. I can't imagine it'll be super difficult to find if I go right at launch, but we'll see. Nintendo doesn't exactly have the best track record at shipping enough units for this type of thing. I've completely given up on finding a pro controller at launch if I do find the system, but hopefully those will eventually get in stock in the not too distant future.

Sure thing. Just FWIW, I have heard the sentiment pretty often the last couple couple years that people (totally reasonably) expected to be able to purchase a Nintendo item or console day one without a preorder and then had an insanely hard time finding one, so, just some food for thought. If you do go to Target I would really be there beforr they open and I'd call the day before to see how many they're getting so you get a sense of how early to go. I imagine BB with their preorders has even fewer available for walk-ins. As you said, Nintendo's track record for this sort of thing is not ideal for the consumer of late, so I'm skeptical that any completely reasonable thought about picking it up after opening will be doable at many stores.

Jeff-DSA

The store is participating if it's on the list. My state only has like six stores participating but many more than that total. Edit: they've added more, but it's still not all of the stores in the state and only about half the stores in my city.

Awesome, thanks!

Best Buy also gets blocked by Wells Fargo a lot on orders over $100. I always forget, and used my Wells Fargo debit card for the Switch originally. I got my email from Best Buy on Friday, and went and changed it to a credit card. Since then, all is well, and my order is in preparing status. I'll have to remember to use a credit card instead of my debit for future pre-orders over $100 on Best Buy.

I'm curious whether I can use USB-A to USB-C simply to maintain a charge. In other words, if I use the USB-A port next to my bed and I'm playing BotW with the Switch plugged into that port, can I play indefinitely with the amount of power that is being supplied? My guess is that it will drain faster than it can charge, but would extend the run-time to some extent.

Again, I'm only going off my experience with recently having a phone that's USB-C, I would assume that the Switch would continue to drain faster than the USB-A to C will be charging it.

Really won't know until you try it out I suppose.

sadromeo

is it the same number they have online, because last time I called them it just sent me to an automated system where I can only check my order status

how can I talk to a rep?

I called this number:

1-888-237-8289

Just listen to options. The first one is to check order status but they have more.

FaintDeftone

Your in-store pickup preorder is probably coming out of that particular store's allotment, not being shipped especially for you. I doubt your preorder will process until Wednesday at the earliest. Seeing as Best Buy can have an in-store pickup ready for you within an hour, it may not even show as processing until Thursday.

All is well. All is well.

I still can't believe Zelda is the only high quality Switch game releasing on launch day, and even worse, Zelda and Splatoon 2 are seemingly the only high quality Switch games releasing in 2017, unless Mario Odyssey makes it for a Holiday 2017 release. Even so, despite all of that, I'd expect between 5-10 high quality Switch games from Nintendo and their third party partners. I have Switch preordered at Best Buy, but I keep debating with myself if I should cancel my preorder or not. There will be a serious drought of games in 2017, so I have plenty of time to pick one up. It comes down to how much I truly want to play the new Zelda game. I think I'd rather play Skyward Sword for the first time before I start Breath of the Wild.
There are many quality indie games releasing on the console for launch and immediately after as well. If you mean Nintendo developed games, Mario Kart 8 is a high quality game, and the switch version will be the best version due to increased performance and the improved battle mode. Also Mario Odyssey is in its final stages of development, chances of it missing the holiday are extremely low.

If the console and its games don't appeal to you, then don't purchase the system. It will still be around later in the year, and by the holidays it will be easier to buy one.

Lee

I have 3 orders paid with a Chase CC through Visa Checkout. Only one is over $100 (Neon Joycons via shipping + 1-2 Switch in store pickup) and I see "Awaiting
Authorization" on that order but not the others. I have triple checked and have no emails from Best Buy or Chase on this. Should I be doing something? This thread is giving me anxiety.

Einhander

There are many quality indie games releasing on the console for launch and immediately after as well. If you mean Nintendo developed games, Mario Kart 8 is a high quality game, and the switch version will be the best version due to increased performance and the improved battle mode. Also Mario Odyssey is in its final stages of development, chances of it missing the holiday are extremely low.

If the console and its games don't appeal to you, then don't purchase the system. It will still be around later in the year, and by the holidays it will be easier to buy one.

I typically buy indie games on Steam, unless they are exclusive to consoles. I'm not interested in purchasing a new Mario Kart game anymore, but I enjoy the series. I'm not just referring to Nintendo first party games, but Nintendo third party games as well. It's very lackluster in general for the 2017 schedule. My interests are single player, story-focused games, specifically. You're right that I should wait until more games are out that align with my interests.

jtrov

I called the 1-800-BESTBUY (1 (888) 237-8289) number and used the automated system to check my order status.

Via that system it says my in-store pickup preorder for both switch and BotW is "preparing" even though the website still just says "preorder"

This definitely helped ease the anxiousness a little. Mine still says "Processing" on the site, but when I called it says the status is being "prepared" and will be ready to pick up on March 3rd. Now just update my status on your site BB so I can be 100% more secure lol.

My copy of Zelda and my Pro Controller are pre-ordered via Best Buy for shipping. Currently in "preparing" status and I'm acting like a damn fool by checking on them constantly. I'm not "worried" about them arriving on time, but I'm curious to see if they'll show up early.

I share my account with a friend and his order of Horizon just showed up today, a day early! Best Buy, please ship my copy of Zelda early. I'd love to be able to play it when I pick up my Switch at Gamestop on Thursday night!

Top Bottom