• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NJPW G1 Special in USA [OT] Billy Gunn Main Events in 2017

Ever since I laid eyes upon Heavy Machinery's Otis I could no longer love any other big white bearded man.

MAJESTIC

ddcpnaiuiaallzi.jpg

RBH

Watching this on my phone through the U-Verse app

I have no complaints thus far. The more wrestling on TV, the better. The production issues are growing pains that I can tolerate.

Still better than the ROH/NJPW Best of the Super Juniors show from way back, featuring Dragon Soldier B.

Better hope that's a Japanese table.

The issue for me with these shows is the lack of understanding of what made NJPW a thing in the US and is sure as fuck isn't Billy Gunn and Cody Rhodes.

klonere

Banned
The merch situation might actually end up harming NJPW more in the long run than any of the goodwill this show will bring them.

Lol that title reign was one month.

They didn't even defend it before losing it.

So so tag brawl. Nothing special but a good finish at least

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
Ishii/Naito and Kenny/Elgin are combinations that have produced 4.5+ star matches before.

There is no excuse or forgiveness for Cody. It could have been literally anybody but Cody. ANYBODY.

I'm not trying to stan for NJPW but y'all are super down on this and I'm having fun :(

I feel like if NJPW treated this like a glorified house show like their usual overseas shows, people would have been a lot more forgiving. I feel like they went too big too fast and it shows. That said, I'm kind of glad they're experimenting with stuff like this. Hopefully if the expansion happens, they learn their lessons from tonight.

Although personally, I'd rather they focus on Japan and have these overseas shows be just fun shows for the fans.

The issue for me with these shows is the lack of understanding of what made NJPW a thing in the US and is sure as fuck isn't Billy Gunn and Cody Rhodes.

It's kinda sad. You see NXT drawing huge crowds (in relation to this) that all know these big indie and international stars then NJPW threats that they only have Tanahashi/Okada/Omega/Natio so they better call in Cody and Gunn! Neither of them have any mainstream appeal either. They'd be better waiting for Danielson to be a free agent if they felt like they really needed a US superstar.

Top Bottom