• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*NO BOOK SPOILERS* Game of Thrones - Season 2 - Sundays on HBO (read rules in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
I edited this on the last page but I figured I'd ask it here too: Was the girl that was captured by Snow trying to wiggle and loosen the rope around her legs or was she really just being restless?

She's rubbing on him. That bit was hilarious.

Pecan1

Banned
she was grinding dawg.
I was glad the second angle was shown because at first it def could have been her wigglin outta those ropes.
what a great episode

I'm sorry but Tywin is a fucking boss. I actually see a lot of him in Tyrion. I actually don't want him to die...Te other Lannisters though? I wish them painful, horrible deaths (minus Tyrion, of course).

Agreed, Tywin is fucking awesome. Although I see him going out.

smiggyRT

That episode felt pretty packed. Theon really is a little cunt and the scene with Joffrey getting poo thrown at him and everything after was awesome.

demolitio

Rofl, really? I thought she had something under her cloak and that's why she kept wiggling.

People always said I over-analyzed and that's what my intel job entailed was so I'm always inclined to think there's more to each situation than just what you see...Apparently this was one of those times where I was trying to over-analyze for some stupid reason. This show is good at making you do that though because there's soooo much shit going on at one time.

You made me feel better that I wasn't alone though, lol.

Edit: And Tywin really is a boss. I don't view him as a bad guy but more of a guy that got caught up in the stupidity of his kids. Tyrion is definitely like Tywin and they both seem to characters with many shades of gray.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Goddamn yes, naked Osha. This is the best tv series ever.

I kinda remembered the actress from somewhere, and she's Nymphadora on Harry Potter.

A bit hard to swallow that Theon could just take Winterfell like that, even more so when they chose to not show anything of the assault. I also didn't like how conveniently John Snow was left alone with that girl, was so obvious at that point that she was going to escape or get spared by John.

Apart from that I really enjoyed the episode and the scenes at Kings Landing were fantastic. They found the perfect actor for Joffrey and it's so nice to now have Tyrion there to tell him what an asshole he is. I hope there are more slaps incoming :)

big ander

A bit hard to swallow that Theon could just take Winterfell like that, even more so when they chose to not show anything of the assault. I also didn't like how conveniently John Snow was left alone with that girl, was so obvious at that point that she was going to escape or get spared by John.
Agree about the Jon stuff but it was well-known last episode that Winterfell was nearly defenseless with Robb at war.

Zyzyxxz

I also didn't like how conveniently John Snow was left alone with that girl, was so obvious at that point that she was going to escape or get spared by John.

I kept thinking that he was gonna do it and was so disappointed he didn't. There better be some big plans for her because this was such a cliche thing to do.

Blastoise

Banned
Hey guys did you all see Tonks TITS!!!

Also this episode moved quick. May need to do some homework to understand it all.

TONKS TITS!!!

Agree about the Jon stuff but it was well-known last episode that Winterfell was nearly defenseless with Robb at war.

Yeah I get that, but it all just seemed a bit too easy. I don't buy that the seat of power of the Starks would be left almost completely unguarded and that Theon and his gang can manage to march there undetected and scale the walls without any resistance.

Zyzyxxz

Yeah I get that, but it all just seemed a bit too easy. I don't buy that the seat of power of the Starks would be left almost completely unguarded and that Theon and his gang can manage to march there undetected and scale the walls without any resistance.

But you have to look at the geography the North is vast and not easily taken and it bottlenecks too combined with the fact that all the other kingdoms have risen up against the Lannisters it was probably unlikely that Pyke Islands would stage and attack.

VanillaPMP

Neo Member

Bran sent the men defending Winterfell to break the siege of Torrhen's Square.

Zeliard

Bran sent the men defending Winterfell to break the siege of Torrhen's Square.

Yep. His first mate suggests that attack as a diversion, and Theon realizes it'd make for a perfect time to go after Winterfell, and he has the appropriate shit-eating smirk on his face.

GorillaJu

Every episode is better than the last.

When Arya tells Jaquen Hagar that the target needs to be killed immediately because he's gong to tell Tywen about her, the look on his face is priceless.

The revolt in King's Landing was boss as well.

I know this show rarely delivers the kind of catharsis you hope for, but I'm really hoping that Robb's storyline doesn't end in horrible tragedy. It would seem that it's too good to be true as it is right now, for him, holding onto Jamie, with Arya getting valuable intelligence.

The Hound showing there are two decent men in King's Landing, too.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I actually thought Littlefinger knew at one point and is now keeping note of it to use however he pleases since he knows she's not going anywhere for now. Either way, intense scene there.

And fuck Theon. That guy went pure evil due to daddy issues and he's turned against the people that really were family to him and gave him a better life anyway. Oh, and the fuck the person that spoiled the Greyjoy story for me, you're no better than Theon! :p

Oh, and was the girl that was captured by Snow trying to wiggle and loosen the rope around her legs or was she really just being restless?

We'll tell you when you're older..

Also, holy shit that episode was intense. I was REALLY scared for Sansa, and that whole scene.. I was sitting here like holy shit they're going to kill some one off.. and its going to be sansa, the hound or tyrion. So much panic.

Also, osha <3

Massa

And fuck Theon. That guy went pure evil due to daddy issues and he's turned against the people that really were family to him and gave him a better life anyway. Oh, and the fuck the person that spoiled the Greyjoy story for me, you're no better than Theon! :p

He was anything but "pure evil".

Martian

Man, another great episode!
Together with the previous episode, these are of the caliber of the first season!

For a second I thought the dark-skinned guy was trying to ambush Daenerys. It definetely felt like the screenplay suggested that scenario.

Two questions:

I'm not trying to get an answer of people who read the books, but your interpretations. Was the tower in the last shot (the guy who carried the dragons) of any importance, or was it just a random shot?

Where exactly is Robb with his army? Is he far down south, pushing towards King's Landing. Or is he still in the north?

Any Joffrey shit to the face gifs yet? By far the greatest plot piece yet. Other than that a pretty boring episode i thought. Although im comparing to the prior episode which was amazing.

Nice to see more and more of the wolves though.

Massa

He loves his purely evil family too much to be pure evil himself?

He's naive and stupid like his family but he's not evil. Pure evil is what Joffrey is, it's night and day.

An evil Theon would have killed the first guy that bad mouthed him, sentenced Rodrik to death without having to be told he had to do it, executed with a steady hand and at once, locked up the Stark boys, etc.

As per Rodrik's last words, he's completely lost.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Together with the previous episode, these are of the caliber of the first season!

For a second I thought the dark-skinned guy was trying to ambush Daenerys. It definetely felt like the screenplay suggested that scenario.

Two questions:

I'm not trying to get an answer of people who read the books, but your interpretations. Was the tower in the last shot (the guy who carried the dragons) of any importance, or was it just a random shot?

Where exactly is Robb with his army? Is he far down south, pushing towards King's Landing. Or is he still in the north?

all I could think of was the tower from Tales of Symphonia connecting two worlds!

Kozak

Banned
Fuck this show :(

I'm already having withdrawals from not seeing the next episode yet!

Amazing episode! I don't think I'm in right mind to discuss the episode yet, so many amazing scenes!

I can't wait till Theon is brought to Robb.

Volimar

I'm guessing it was the Tower of the Undying that the Warlock guy was talking about.

JGS

Banned
He's naive and stupid like his family but he's not evil. Pure evil is what Joffrey is, it's night and day.
He's stupid, but he's not naive. He knows exactly what he's doing at this point. Naive was him going to his father to seek help for Robb.

An evil Theon would have killed the first guy that bad mouthed him, sentenced Rodrik to death without having to be told he had to do it, executed with a steady hand and at once, locked up the Stark boys, etc.

I disagree. It was not originally in his plan to kill anyone, but there was no reason to kill someone for mouthing off. Evil people rule on fear and how others view them. In this way, Theon is much more like a hornier Joffrey. Theon is a bad egg at this point and he revels in his conquest way too much to be a sympathetic character just because he has the same daddy issues as most of Westoros outside of the Starks.

Regarding the show, I loved this episode. I know lots of people liked last week's but i didn't enjoy it beyond story progression. Everything seemed phoned in and I could guess just about everything that was happening since they told us ahead of time.

This episode was the opposite. many twists and turns and every scene was spot on for the setting. I'm happy that they are trying to humanize the Wildings and think it would be neat if there was some way for them to all join- unlikely though.

ShaneB

Man, it's hard to like characters in fear of them getting killed off at any moment, but it sure is easy to hate characters! Fuck Theon! It was great seeing Joffrey getting a load of shit in the face too and the chaos that ensued.

Massa

He's stupid, but he's not naive. He knows exactly what he's doing at this point. Naive was him going to his father to seek help for Robb.

Completely disagree. Like Rodrik's last words to him, he's completely lost.

I disagree. It was not originally in his plan to kill anyone, but there was no reason to kill someone for mouthing off. Evil people rule on fear and how others view them. In this way, Theon is much more like a hornier Joffrey. Theon is a bad egg at this point and he revels in his conquest way too much to be a sympathetic character just because he has the same daddy issues as most of Westoros outside of the Starks.

He didn't even punish the guy for completely insulting him. I'm not arguing people should root for him, just saying an evil person wouldn't let that slide.

JGS

Banned
Completely disagree. Like Rodrik's last words to him, he's completely lost.

He didn't even punish the guy for completely insulting him. I'm not arguing people should root for him, just saying an evil person wouldn't let that slide.
He is completely lost, but not in the sense that he hasn't chosen a way. He's lost to Winterfell's cause- beyond redemption.

I think an evil person that doesn't know how to rule doesn't know how to handle any given situation. Joffrey's answer to being hit with a cowpie is to attack the crowd and thus endanger himself even more. The fact that theon can be goaded into killing a man that he was allies with for years and years is a testament to the fact that he has gone full Vader. To think he can sleep it off after a night of whoring (Endangering himself and his men to boot) means he doesn't have to much remorse. He didn't even care about a clean cut.

wildfire

Banned

I don't think his family is naive. They built their empire by raping and pillaging for generations. There are drawbacks to that strategy but it isn't full of fail.

It is stupid to hold a grudge against the Starks when the iron throne was going to send someone after them, the Starks were the most logical candidates due to proximity.

I agree they aren't evil but they are extremely self-centered to the point of being foolish. Theon still shouldn't have killed Rodrick. If he wants respect he should've just had Rodrick thrown in the cellar as he originally planned and beat down any of his shipmen who dared to question his authority after seeing the insult Rodrick gave him.

That assassin is beyond belief but it's good to know Joffrey should be dead before this season is over.

Don't prolong it HBO. Throwing peasant shit and slapping midgets at him is cathartic but I'm ready for the payoff. Deliver. Now.

wildfire

Banned
He is completely lost, but not in the sense that he hasn't chosen a way. He's lost to Winterfell's cause- beyond redemption.

I think an evil person that doesn't know how to rule doesn't know how to handle any given situation. Joffrey's answer to being hit with a cowpie is to attack the crowd and thus endanger himself even more. The fact that theon can be goaded into killing a man that he was allies with for years and years is a testament to the fact that he has gone full Vader. To think he can sleep it off after a night of whoring (Endangering himself and his men to boot) means he doesn't have to much remorse. He didn't even care about a clean cut.

Don't make equivalencies with Joffrey. You are reaching into Godwin territory.
The fact he needed to be convinced to kill Rodrick says enough about his intentions.
His greatest concern is reclaiming his birthright and acceptance by his people from the Iron Islands. The fact his people have very brutal customs doesn't absolve him from the act he has done which could've been handled differently.

Don't compare him to Vader. He was a prisoner of war which both you and the most of the Starks took for granted. Vader was rescued from slavery. Theon was trying to rebuild the ties with his birth family who raised him till he was 10. Rebuilding such ties when they are still sworn enemies of the Starks had understandable outcomes. Vader was lashing out against a society he was manipulated into believing did him wrong.

GorillaJu

Two questions:

I thought the tower was probably the warlock place? House of the Undying

Arcane arts typically go hand in hand with tall towers in fantasy stories. And the guy who was walking with the dragons on his back either looked to be very, very strange (like the warlock who confronted Danaerys), or perhaps being manipulated by magic, which would also imply the house of the undying.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Theon better die a very painful death. What a piece of shit.

Assassin's Creed guy has an awesome way of talking.

JGS

Banned
I agree they aren't evil but they are extremely self-centered to the point of being foolish. Theon still shouldn't have killed Rodrick. If he wants respect he should've just had Rodrick throne in the cellar as he originally planned and beat down any of his shipmen who dared to question his authority after seeing the insult Rodrick gave him.

That assassin is beyond belief but it's good to know Joffrey should be dead before this season is over.

Don't prolong it HBO. Throwing peasant shit and slapping midgets at him is cathartic but I'm ready for the payoff. Deliver. Now.
I can't see Joffrey living past season 3.

The thing that makes Theon so stupid is he would rather get the respect of a bunch of drunken pikers than the majority of Winterfell who would clearly serve him in a better capacity. Evil or not, he's a horrible human being. It's the reason why the primary comparison is with Joffrey.
How can you even say that? It's not like he failed to do it intentionally.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. :)
Who is evil is purely subjective so it's al good. I've learned that with all the debate about Sansa.

He did mean to do it. He didn't know how to execute a man and so shouldn't have taken the role. He was more concerned about his appearance than he did about honoring the man who was about to die with honor. Ugh, he's horrible. I really loathe him at this point.

Theon wasted years of being taken care of by the Stark for one day of manipulation by his Dad because what he always wanted was to be a prince. The Starks rescued him (His father gave him up, he wasn't kidnapped) but being a prince of a ghetto house mattered more. I really hope he dies soon.

I'm hardly an expert, but I imagine that cutting off someone's head in one blow with the sort of sword Theon was using is not exactly the easiest thing in the world to do.

I'm hardly an expert, but I imagine that cutting off someone's head with the sort of sword Theon was using in one blow is not exactly the easiest thing in the world to do.

Yeah there's a reason all the beheading swords in the show (like Ned's Ice and whatever Ilyn Payne uses) are fucking huge.

JGS

Banned
Don't make equivalencies with Joffrey. You are reaching into Godwin territory.
The fact he needed to be convinced to kill Rodrick says enough about his intentions.
His greatest concern is reclaiming his birthright and acceptance by his people from the Iron Islands. The fact his people have very brutal customs doesn't absolve him from the act he has done which could've been handled differently.
He needed to be "convinced" because he didn't know what he was doing. The scene makes clear that he is not equipped to be a llrd of anything. To his father's benefit, he at least has a purpose which is why he was waiting to invade Winterfell.

It didn't dawn on him that the act was death penalty worthy (It wasn't, it was an opportunity to negotiate). That is not a sympathetic scene. He took the advice of a guy he knew for a few days over the wisdom of people he's known his whole life and betrayed/backstabbed. He should have been aware there would be hurt feelings over all that. He was every bit the weasel he looks like.
Don't compare him to Vader. He was a prisoner of war which both you and the most of the Starks took for granted. Vader was rescued from slavery. Theon was trying to rebuild the ties with his birth family who raised him till he was 10. Rebuilding such ties when they are still sworn enemies of the Starks had understandable outcomes. Vader was lashing out against a society he was manipulated into believing did him wrong.
He wasn't a prisoner of war. Theon himself said that his father gave him to the Starks. The Greyjoys are the ones that started the conflict anyway. His brothers were killed fighting the Starks. It's all revisionist history to justify the actions.

He voluntarily decided to side with the whacky premise of the Greyjoys which is they have the right to rape and pillage whenever they feel like. He is only unlike Vader in the sense that Vader had a lot more time & reason to turn to the Dark Side.
I'm hardly an expert, but I imagine that cutting off someone's head in one blow with the sort of sword Theon was using is not exactly the easiest thing in the world to do.

Yeah there's a reason all the beheading swords in the show (like Ned's Ice and whatever Ilyn Payne uses) are fucking huge.
Which is why you don't decapitate someone on the spot and based on emotion. That's the craziness of the defense. It's not like there was any reason to actually cut off someone's head execution style to begin with. Everything done up to that point was done dirty handed and now they tried to do something with honor and of course it failed.

Soule

What an incredibly tense episode, the first like 20 minutes I was on the edge of my seat. I had a bit of a chuckle when I read people asking what the girl was doing to Jon Snow and that was a nice kind of lull in the intensity but overall what an episode I was lost for words by the end, so amazing had to tell my friends. Definitely my favourite episode so far and I cannot wait til the next episode GIMME MOAR

I had to laugh at Catelyn cockblocking Robb and the wildling girl rubbing against Jon, getting him aroused annoyed, but yes, very tense episode overall, especially the bits with the Stark girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom