• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nobuo Uematsu leaves Square Enix?

Elios83

According to squarenet.info Nobuo Uematsu will leave Square Enix in November,he has comunicated the decision in a special message to the members of its fan club.
The reason given is that he desires to work taking all the time he needs.
Square Enix has not confirmed the story.

Elios83

Jonnyram said:
He's just setting up his own company that will work for Square Enix anyway, so what's the difference?

He's a composer,a musician,I don't think he will create a game company ;)
Maybe you're confusing Uematsu with Sakaguchi.

Jonnyram

Elios83 said:
He's a composer,a musician,I don't think he will create a game company ;)
Maybe you're confusing Uematsu with Sakaguchi.
No I'm not. There are music companies as well as game companies :p Never heard of Wavemaster?

Troidal

Mizuguchi, Sakurai, Cozy, Funamizu, Okamoto, and now Uematsu...

Creators leave giant companies, here comes the giant vacuum!

Now if many more leave for their own companies/business, boy Japanese companies are teh d00med.

Elios83

Jonnyram said:
No I'm not. There are music companies as well as game companies :p Never heard of Wavemaster?

No never heard of it honestly :)
But I don't think this is the case.He seems to be bored by the strict work times imposed by the gaming industry plus he has gained a lot of popularity with concerts so he probably would like to try different things.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Doesn't bother me...

He's one of my least favorite game music composers these days. His past works were excellent, but FF9 was the starting point of a downfall...

No never heard of it honestly

What about Mitsuda's studio (Procyon Studio)?

Elios83

Troidal said:
Mizuguchi, Sakurai, Cozy, Funamizu, Okamoto, and now Uematsu...

Creators leave giant companies, here comes the giant vacuum!

Now if many more leave for their own companies/business, boy Japanese companies are teh d00med.

I tend to believe that no one is unreplacable ;)

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I wouldn't be surprised, Mitsuda did the same thing IIRC...leaving Square, setting up his own company as a freelancing composer. I think it's a great idea. Uematsu is no longer an absolute neccessity for the FF series, at least that's the impression I got since he didn't make all the music for FFX for example. I imagine it's nice not being (or rather 'feeling') forced to focus on Final Fantasy music...now he can choose a lot more varied composer jobs. Maybe now we'll see what Uematsu can do in other musical genres. If that's what he wants, that is.

Bebpo

Banned
Kiriku said:
I wouldn't be surprised, Mitsuda did the same thing IIRC...leaving Square, setting up his own company as a freelancing composer. I think it's a great idea. Uematsu is no longer an absolute neccessity for the FF series, at least that's the impression I got since he didn't make all the music for FFX for example. I imagine it's nice not being (or rather 'feeling') forced to focus on Final Fantasy music...now he can choose a lot more varied composer jobs. Maybe now we'll see what Uematsu can do in other musical genres. If that's what he wants, that is.

Mitsuda...

...example of a good idea......

>_<

Once composing big name rpgs....now doing misc little work for 3 min anime series, cellphone games, small 3rd party stuff, max payne rip-offs... >_<

Bebpo

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
wow this sucks. I still hope Final Fantasy XII has good music

Well Hitoshi did a good job with Stelladeus and the FFXII song from the trailers is great so I don't think there's any worries there.

firex

more power to him if he wants to go freelance. hopefully this means more video game developers make some deals with him to compose their soundtracks.

Ranger X

I don't care much. He's not all that good these days. Last really good soundtrack was indeed FF9. Maybe if he's a freelancer soon we'll see him doing more different kinds of music for more different games and that could be interesting.

Elios83

Uematsu has been poorly involved in the FFXII score.
He was in charge of doing the main theme (or themes) but all the music is realized by other composers and from what we can hear on the official site and in the trailers it rocks!

Kiriku said:
Mitsuda did the same thing IIRC...leaving Square

Mitsuda was never a real employe at Square, he just had the contract for being part of a project.

FFXII's soundtrack should be finished by now, at least Uematsu has done his part in it. The other part is done by Hitoshi Sakimoto, who has worked on same great soundtracks as well - http://www.cocoebiz.com/sakimoto/discography/index.shtml

Bebpo said:
Well Hitoshi did a good job with Stelladeus and the FFXII song from the trailers is great so I don't think there's any worries there.

Isn't the guy who did the music for Final Fantasy Tactics and Vagrant Story doing the music for FFXII? Final Fantasy Tactics has an awesome OST!

I hope the music in FFXII is similar.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Yeah Doom, he has done most music for Yasumi Mitsuno's games, i.e. Ogre Battles series, Vagrant Story, FFT. Personally I am looking forward to hearing his rendition of it.. and am slightly shocked at Uematsu's leaving yet somewhat relieved. His capabilities sure have diminished since Square's RPGs are becoming much larger and needing more and more sound compositions to adequate the size scope. It can only mean he goes back to the drawing board and does what he used to be at the very best.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Doom_Bringer said:

As you said, Hitoshi Sakimoto is doing the score FFXII. That's a HUGE plus, as I really didn't want Uematsu touching it. We don't need another FFIX. (bleh)

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Aria di Mezzo Caraterre...

opera6.jpg

Never Forget!

teiresias

Isn't this like the third time Uematsu was supposed to retire from composing video game music?? I mean, he says he's leaving every five years it seems. Last time it was around the time of ChronoTrigger and that was supposed to be his last game composition or something.

Still, his output hasn't been the greatest in a good long while so I wouldn't really miss him being gone. FFIV and FFVI scores are his classics though.

Isn't this like the third time Uematsu was supposed to retire from composing video game music?? I mean, he says he's leaving every five years it seems. Last time it was around the time of ChronoTrigger and that was supposed to be his last game composition or something.

No, he hasn't said he's leaving before, those were just rumors that were going around. Anyway he's not retiring from video game music, just leaving Square Enix to work as an independent contractor. The next game he's known to be involved with is Hanjuku Hero 4, by the way.

Arcticfox

I wouldn't call Uematsu the most overrated man in video games since he composed some great works in the past, but I haven't enjoyed his recent works so it is not a big loss.

teiresias said:
I know time flies as we get older, but this was around 9 years ago. But yeah, I remember that.

Bebpo said:
Mitsuda...

...example of a good idea......

>_<

Once composing big name rpgs....now doing misc little work for 3 min anime series, cellphone games, small 3rd party stuff, max payne rip-offs... >_<
...and still some big name rpgs.

I'm all for seeing what Uematsu will do in a Mitsuda-fied career. The same guy doing music for Chrono Trigger and Mario Party? That's the sort of bizarre I live for.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I'll continue to praise him for the superb work he did for FFIV,VI & VII, but his more recent work didn't really impress me, give or take a few exceptions. Mitsuda, however.. :( SE should throw wads of cash at him to get him onboard.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Zaptruder said:
Great... does that mean they'll hire outside talent... including the likes of Yoko Kanno?
It probably means they'll hire outside talent....including the likes of Nobuo Uematsu.

dark10x said:
We don't need another FFIX.
FFIX's core soundtrack was great. The problem was that it was bogged down by a billion variant versions of songs and a bunch of filler crap. But mixed in there is a really good soundtrack with some really terrific songs. The FFIX piano collection does a really good job of gettin at the real quality stuff and leaving the filler behind.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Uematsu is a burnt-out has-been, imho. If he needs time off to work on his own schedule, at his own pace, to reinvigorate his creative juices, that's fine.

He's sucked since (and including) FFIX. FFVIII was his last truly creative and exciting output, imho. Of course, I'm not including the remaking of classic tunes in concerts, compilations, or game remakes, I'm talking about purely original works.

If he can get his crap up to speed again, I'll be thrilled. And hey, perhaps he'll go somewhat independent, like Mitsuda did. Hell, the best composers out there today in the VG industry seem to be independents.

ferricide

the problem with utematsu is that while he does some incredible work, 2/3 of his work is also umemorable shit. it's hard to forget the bulk of it if you're being realistic.

shrug.

jarrod

Banned
Jonnyram said:
How many Japanese game music focused groups are there actually? All I can think of are WaveMaster (Sega) and Zuntata (Taito)? I guess Ancient and Quintet could count too as they also do game soundtrack contract work in addition to full software R&D.

Pellham

Banned
This isn't a surprising career move. A lot of game composers get sick of working for the same company for years and eventually go freelance (mainly so they can work on things other than video game music), which is what I am assuming Uematsu is choosing to do.

fugimax

Nintendo should beg him to work on a Zelda game with Kondo.
I'm sure he'd be willing. The opportunity to work with Kondo/Miyamoto + getting to use the zelda melodies...probably agreeable to any game composer.

I do think Nobou was the last good thing going for FF though...it's been getting less and less appealing. FFVI, FFIX were the most recent I actually enjoyed.

fugimax said:
I'm sure he'd be willing. The opportunity to work with Kondo/Miyamoto + getting to use the zelda melodies...probably agreeable to any game composer.

I do think Nobou was the last good thing going for FF though...it's been getting less and less appealing. FFVI, FFIX were the most recent I actually enjoyed.

Sakimoto makes it much more appealing.

jarrod

Banned
shuri said:
mario-miyamoto.jpg

He may have started it all. But he never evolved since. He's just afraid of trying new stuff :(
"Started it" which time? With Donkey Kong? With Super Mario Bros? The Legend of Zelda? Super Mario Bros 3? F-Zero? Yoshi's Island? Super Mario 64? Ocarina of Time? Pikmin? I'm not sure "it" ever really stopped?

Ranger X

shuri said:
mario-miyamoto.jpg

He may have started it all. But he never evolved since. He's just afraid of trying new stuff :(

That must be why after Mario he did Zelda (aventure), and then Star Fox (shooter), and then Earthbound (rpg), and then F-Zero (racing) and then Animal Crossing (tamagotchi) and then Pikmin (rts) and then Smash Brother (fighting).
Really dude, you're so right, he never created or experimented anything i guess.

Seriously dude, let us laugh at you, Miyamoto is one of the greatest game designer of all time. Not even one come close and did so many different games and so many successfull games sorry.

Wyzdom said:
That must be why after Mario he did Zelda (aventure), and then Star Fox (shooter), and then Earthbound (rpg), and then F-Zero (racing) and then Animal Crossing (tamagotchi) and then Pikmin (rts) and then Smash Brother (fighting).
To be fair I think most of those would have someone who deserves a lot more of the credit than Miyamoto.

Top Bottom