• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Noel Gallagher did not enjoy 2013 very much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sickbean

It's funny, because Arcade Fire's Reflektor is easily better than every Oasis album ever.

Ra ra, it debuted at #1 worldwide and they just used to be so much better and more real, man.

Reflektor was absolutely spectacular and a contender for album of the year.

It wont have anywhere near the impact that Definitely Maybe and What's the Story had, at least in the UK.

Those two albums caused half a generation to pick up guitars and start learning. I'm a fan of both bands, but I think Oasis had a greater effect on the musical landscape than Arcade Fire will.

codhand

Well besides a few choice songs, RAM really doesn't delve much deeper than that song. Me and Noel have pretty similar tastes though, Yeezus was indeed great, and the new Arcade Fire is indeed pretty meh.

the arcade fire diss #dead

three musketeers on acid? lol

still, i think him liking david bowie so much, and actually listening to the arctic monkeys albums but not arcade fire, tells me he's pretty out of touch, but smart enough to make funny, piercing remarks

Batigol

Banned
Lady Gaga for me is all about that first album, because my daughter and my wife loved it. I've never heard of her since. What does that say? That speaks volumes, to me. She's another one. In fact, she's probably doing a shit on top of a boiled egg right now. And somebody will fucking freeze it and call it art.

Fucking Noel Gallagher :lol

I love him

Gaga's last album was shit through and through. Her first album was the best. Whoever this guy is he knows whats up when it comes to pop music.

Burger

Who cares if you agree with him, at least he's not some vapid fuckhead heaping praise on basically anyone else in the music industry.

Walshy

Walshy please. Oasis were very good beyond that year and his solo album is solid.

I liked this year because I love rock and rap and we were well served.
I don't like much of it besides the first two albums. Stop Crying Your heart is okay I guess.

His solo album is the same old shit he always records, not a fan.

2013 was a great year for music, my favourite in a long time.

Dylan

Fuck I love Noel. He's literally the only musician alive for which I will actually read/watch interviews.

Everything he says is brilliant.

Some of things he says are true sure, but for fucks sake I hate him and his brother and their shitty ass music. It's funny to see him shit on other shit music though.

linsivvi

I don't like much of it besides the first two albums. Stop Crying Your heart is okay I guess.

His solo album is the same old shit he always records, not a fan.

2013 was a great year for music, my favourite in a long time.

You mean Heathen Chemistry. It's pretty meh. The Masterplan was pretty good though.

Meier

Just as someone who knows of him via a bit of 20-year old music and his reputation, he comes off quite intelligent and thoughtful in this. That is to say not like a grunting madman like I sort of always assumed.

He is the best interview you'll ever read. Seriously -- go back and read some others. Always incredibly insightful. I really love hearing him talk about football too because he just knows his stuff. A legend.

Mindwipe

I'm curious as to what Noel would think of MBDTF. Which is pretty far removed from Yeezus, but has so much clever production in it it's actually sort of where Oasis went in a lot of ways.

hie

Never been a huge Oasis fan, but I almost agree with everything he says here. Great interview!

Servbot24

Banned
When your music worldview begins with Bowie and ends with Arcade Fire, well of course it was a terrible year of music.

Fry

He is the best interview you'll ever read. Seriously -- go back and read some others. Always incredibly insightful. I really love hearing him talk about football too because he just knows his stuff. A legend.

image.php

Love him!

arcade fire's just not going to top funeral, ever

Why do they need to?

Let Funeral be Funeral. I don't know why people always want artists to make their best songs look like shit compared to new or upcoming material, lol. Everything should stand on its own IMO.

I could listen/read to Noel Gallagher all day, hahaha. The man is so entertaining!

Seemed to me like he was generally positive on things more than not.

AF have already "topped" Funeral and it wasn't a big deal when they did. Funeral gets "topped" 50 times a year.

Yeah, Funeral isn't my favorite album of theirs, and to me the album's been topped by themselves and others. I just get annoyed at the idea that if someone releases good material, they're expected to put it to shame later on. Funeral will never NOT be an Arcade Fire album. It's like the longer you wait to top your ideally "best" work the less that work becomes yours. It's the same as when people say that Gaga still hasn't topped The Fame Monster. Why does she need to? If that album resonated with people then why mess with that by shitting on it through better material? Let a great album be a great album and try to find the good in its successors, easy as that. It's unfair to expect to be wowed by someone constantly.

Mission

I thought this was a great interview. I think it's really telling when a generally rock centric legend goes out of his way to name check Disclosure. He's listened to all of Settle and yet never listened to Random Access Memories. It's too bad on the latter because there is so much more to RAM than Get Lucky. But the mention of Disclosure is awesome.

of course when you think that ROCK is the only REAL music and that 99% of the good stuff has been done before 1976 (or 1979 or whatever) then you will think that year has been bad.

of course when you think that ROCK is the only REAL music and that 99% of the good stuff has been done before 1976 (or 1979 or whatever) then you will think that year has been bad.

This is why I can't take non-rap/electronic music discussion seriously. It's disturbing how many folks on the net take this quote to gospel

EvaristeG

Banned
Good interview. He's not wrong at all about Arcade Fire. I love Reflektor but it overstays its welcome. The best songs are in the second disc.

kick51

Banned
Why do they need to?

Let Funeral be Funeral. I don't know why people always want artists to make their best songs look like shit compared to new or upcoming material, lol. Everything should stand on its own IMO.

i'm not sure why i posted that, i wasn't fully awake. but it is one of the thoughts I had while endlessly replaying it when it first came out.

Noel Gallagher said:
Go and ask Billy Corgan about a double album.

Yes, go ask Billy Corgan about the most successful, robust album of his career.

People have as much time to listen to music now as we did in 1995. Pandering to your audience's laziness is unbecoming.

Well besides a few choice songs, RAM really doesn't delve much deeper than that song. Me and Noel have pretty similar tastes though, Yeezus was indeed great, and the new Arcade Fire is indeed pretty meh.

To be fair he allegedly hasn't heard it. And he's wrong.

AF have already "topped" Funeral and it wasn't a big deal when they did. Funeral gets "topped" 50 times a year.

I'm just registering disagreement with this, because wow.

Diablos

I actually think he was saying "go ask Billy Corgan" about Mellon Collie because it marks the last time a band actually did it right.

Corgan himself has gone on record saying nice things about Oasis a few times. In the mid-90's they'd take jabs at Oasis, but afterwards he came back around and said they were amazing etc. I am sure there is mutual respect there.

Gawge

I don't mind Noel Gallagher, in a vacuum (not because he would suffocate and die).

High Flying Birds was alright, Oasis did some decent stuff - but quite a lot of people treat him as a God. It is kind of weird, he is just alright. REAL MUSIC, NOEL GALLAGHER, OASIS, MILES KANE! Yanno, they are alright...

The man and his brother are fucking legends , Speak there mind and the truth. Oasis were and still are amazing in every way , I dont even bother with any new bands these days as most of them are pure garbage. Arcade fire are for the fucking hipster brigade , Cunts like lady gaga and bieber are killing music. Kids listening to that shite on a daily basis are rotting there minds and outlook on what real music is. This generation wont have anything like the beatles , the stones , oasis instead its shite like one direction.....sad state of the music industry when little talentless pricks like this are around.

The man and his brother are fucking legends , Speak there mind and the truth. Oasis were and still are amazing in every way , I dont even bother with any new bands these days as most of them are pure garbage. Arcade fire are for the fucking hipster brigade , Cunts like lady gaga and bieber are killing music. Kids listening to that shite on a daily basis are rotting there minds and outlook on what real music is. This generation wont have anything like the beatles , the stones , oasis instead its shite like one direction.....sad state of the music industry when little talentless pricks like this are around.

....... I know you didn't just put Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber in the same sentence.

Gawge

You did that little bit of ironic satire better than I could!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom