• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Noel Gallagher did not enjoy 2013 very much

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually think he was saying "go ask Billy Corgan" about Mellon Collie because it marks the last time a band actually did it right.

Corgan himself has gone on record saying nice things about Oasis a few times. In the mid-90's they'd take jabs at Oasis, but afterwards he came back around and said they were amazing etc. I am sure there is mutual respect there.

I don't know, it sort of clashes with what he says about double albums directly afterwards. "No one has the time for double albums in 2013, so go ask Billy Corgan about how to make a massive one". I could be wrong, though. I just assume Gallagher's snarky every time he opens his mouth.

Walshy

The man and his brother are fucking legends , Speak there mind and the truth. Oasis were and still are amazing in every way , I dont even bother with any new bands these days as most of them are pure garbage. Arcade fire are for the fucking hipster brigade , Cunts like lady gaga and bieber are killing music. Kids listening to that shite on a daily basis are rotting there minds and outlook on what real music is. This generation wont have anything like the beatles , the stones , oasis instead its shite like one direction.....sad state of the music industry when little talentless pricks like this are around.
Did you just put Oasis in the same category as the Beatles and the Rolling Stones?
laugh.gif

I like the way you degrade Arcade Fire as for the "hipster brigade". Funeral is better than anything Oasis has ever done.

codhand

The man and his brother are fucking legends , Speak there mind and the truth. Oasis were and still are amazing in every way , I dont even bother with any new bands these days as most of them are pure garbage. Arcade fire are for the fucking hipster brigade , Cunts like lady gaga and bieber are killing music. Kids listening to that shite on a daily basis are rotting there minds and outlook on what real music is. This generation wont have anything like the beatles , the stones , oasis instead its shite like one direction.....sad state of the music industry when little talentless pricks like this are around.

lol

Alpende

He's got some funny remarks. But come on, Reflektor is pretty amazing. And it's not even 90 minutes. More like 50 minutes if you skip the last 5 minutes of Supersymmetry which is just rewinding.

Diablos

I don't know, it sort of clashes with what he says about double albums directly afterwards. "No one has the time for double albums in 2013, so go ask Billy Corgan about how to make a massive one". I could be wrong, though. I just assume Gallagher's snarky every time he opens his mouth.
Yeah but I mean MCIS came out in 1995... so the context of what he is saying suggests a. no one cares in 2013 but b. if an artist/band for some reason wanted to try, at least you could ask the dude who did one that was successful.

Blader

lol, jesus, see if you can pick which one doesn't belong!

Wiktor

I feel like the people saying Arcade Fire are for hipsters is a lot like those who said The Beatles were for hippies.

Arcade Fire makes me feel old. So much praise and I just don't get. I've listened to 20 of their songs and not even one felt even remotely catchy. I wonder if that's how adults felt when they saw teen girls screaming at The Beatles..lol

border

What do you think about Lady Gaga?
Lady Gaga for me is all about that first album, because my daughter and my wife loved it. I've never heard of her since. What does that say? That speaks volumes, to me.

Not to point out the obvious, but when was the last time a casual listener would have heard anything about Gallagher? I haven't even thought about Oasis for half a decade. Does that speak volumes?

This seems like a pretty dumb way to judge the quality of work someone is outputting.

xbhaskarx

I think any year that David Bowie puts an album out has got to be a great year, eh?

In fact, she's probably doing a shit on top of a boiled egg right now. And somebody will fucking freeze it and call it art.

I haven't heard it. Anybody that comes back with a double album, to me, needs to pry themselves out of their own asshole.

He makes some good points...

Yeah Funeral is better than anything Oasis have ever done.

But that doesn't stop Noel from being able to have a valid opinion, albeit one I disagree with.

linsivvi

Not to point out the obvious, but when was the last time a casual listener would have heard anything about Gallagher? I haven't even thought about Oasis for half a decade. Does that speak volumes?

This seems like a pretty dumb way to judge the quality of work someone is outputting.

Eh, while I don't care about his new band and he's indeed pretty dumb, but he was on an extensive world tour last year and headlining festivals. So I'd say lots of people have heard from him relatively recently.

why this shit has to pop up in every music thread

jimbor

Banned

Too many funny. Oasis did one half decent album and then disappeared up their own coke filled arseholes.

That's not to say that I don't like Noel, he's always interesting. Liam is just a gobshite.

I think a lot of people in the thread didn't actually read the interview.

I've never read a Noel interview before, but this was pretty good. I like a lot of his observations. I agree with some of them. I enjoy the fact that he's open to liking music outside of his wheelhouse. Never would have pegged him for a Yeezus fan, and neither would he. Never would have pegged him seeing Disclosure at Glastonbury. Seems like a cool, open guy with a lot of shit on his plate and not a lot of time to sit down and listen to new records.

Arcade Fire defense force is lowkey one of the worst defense forces on GAF and the internet in general. It's okay for people to not like Reflektor.

You know Bowie sings backup on one of Arcade Fire's new songs, right?

Oh, that's a shame.

Yo that's a burn and a half.

Vice

Noel x Kanye 2014. Two geniuses in love with their own face collaborate to make the most self-indulgent, incomprehensible and amazing albums of the decade.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I have no idea who Noel Gallagher is, but that interview was absolutely fantastic to read. I will now educate myself on this guy's work.

EDIT: Ah, he was the lead singer of Oasis. I knew his name sounded familiar...

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Died at "shitting on a boiled egg" part.

I have no idea who Noel Gallagher is, but that interview was absolutely fantastic to read. I will now educate myself on this guy's work.

EDIT: Ah, he was the lead singer of Oasis. I knew his name sounded familiar...

Nah, Liam was the lead singer.

WedgeX

Banned
Why did I even read this. I know I don't like the man or his opinions. Ah well, exposure to ideas and all that.

Servbot24

Banned
Arcade Fire makes me feel old. So much praise and I just don't get. I've listened to 20 of their songs and not even one felt even remotely catchy. I wonder if that's how adults felt when they saw teen girls screaming at The Beatles..lol

They're decent, but it has nothing to do with a lack of catchiness. The songs where they try to be catchy actually are usually their worst.

Hang on, I haven't listened to Arcade Fire's new album, because I have an irrational hate towards them (don't ask but if you have to, I can't shake the feeling of seeing them and their music very pretentious) but I thought everyone loved Reflector. Why the sudden hate?

That's a dumb reason. Also the amount of fucks in that interview is truly astounding.

I think a lot of people in the thread didn't actually read the interview.

I've never read a Noel interview before, but this was pretty good. I like a lot of his observations. I agree with some of them. I enjoy the fact that he's open to liking music outside of his wheelhouse. Never would have pegged him for a Yeezus fan, and neither would he. Never would have pegged him seeing Disclosure at Glastonbury. Seems like a cool, open guy with a lot of shit on his plate and not a lot of time to sit down and listen to new records.

Arcade Fire defense force is lowkey one of the worst defense forces on GAF and the internet in general. It's okay for people to not like Reflektor.

Yo that's a burn and a half.
For an 'open' guy he sure sounds pretty dismissive of music he hasn't heard.

Hard to respect a guy shitting on things he knows nothing about.

For an 'open' guy he sure sounds pretty dismissive of music he hasn't heard.

Hard to respect a guy shitting on things he knows nothing about.

He doesn't come off as dismissive at all. He shits on Miley for being outrageous for the sake of being outrageous. He says he hadn't heard Kanye until Yeezus and liked it. He discovered Disclosure at Glastonbury. Thinks there's a ton of good 'guitar' music in the mold of Oasis. Likes Get Lucky a ton. And he agrees with something almost everyone to critique music ever agrees with: double albums are 100% wankery. Dude, I fuck with Arcade Fire, but if I had to describe them to someone who hadn't heard them before "wankery" would definitely be in there somewhere. You try telling me Neon Bible wasn't 100%, unadulterated wankery. That "What if the camera/really do/take your soul" isn't 100%, unadulterated wankery. It is man, it is.

Shit my favorite album this year was a double album, and I know damn well that The Knife is straight up wankery. I'm not going to front like Tomorrow, In A Year didn't happen and Shaking The Habitual is just a normal ass TRIPLE LP release.

Interview came off like an older dude that digs music but doesn't have a lot of time to spend on finding it. Likes what he hears on the radio even if it's not what he grew up on, or in this case, made.

noel is pretty funny in interviews, i love his characterization of jack white as 'zorro on donuts'

he is one of the worst lyricists of all time however

Cousteau

That anyone even tries to dissect a Noel Gallagher interview for anything other than humorous purposes is comical in its own right.

Dude is a troll master of the highest order.

Stop taking him or what he says to heart.jesus.

Great interview. He's a pretty entertaining off the cuff. I remember him calling Jack White "Zorro on doughnuts", still makes me laugh.

Still though, any one of AF's albums take a steaming dump on anything Oasis has ever done.

Wilbur

Banned
Guy's a fucking mango who thinks that gelling his hair and sneering makes him a rock star. He's not. He's a middle aged man who writes middle aged songs who happens to get away with it because inexplicably his brother is an even bigger fucking cunt than he is.

"Who has the time to listen to a 45 minute record anymore?" - puts out 45 minute album.

Absolute goober.

And he supports a shit football team.

CloudWolf

I love the Lady Gaga comment :lol

Also, I didn't expect that Noel Gallagher would praise the new Kanye record. I expected him to shit on it.

CloudWolf

See, this is the kind of comment I expected Noel to make in this interview.

deli2000

Under 20 dad rock fetishists are the worst thing to happen to music.

IISANDERII

Guy's a fucking mango who thinks that gelling his hair and sneering makes him a rock star. He's not. He's a middle aged man who writes middle aged songs who happens to get away with it because inexplicably his brother is an even bigger fucking cunt than he is.

"Who has the time to listen to a 45 minute record anymore?" - puts out 45 minute album.

Absolute goober.

And he supports a shit football team.
Wilbur
his true nature revealed
(Today, 06:13 AM)

I don't like Oasis, and I don't agree with some of the appraisals of albums he's given here, but that doesn't stop me from finding it to be a funny interview. I like the blunt honesty of it; he can articulate his opinions in a humorous and evocative way, at the least.

I love Noel, even though I like probably 2% of his music. There's something delightful about his attitude of being completely honest and not fannying about with faux-fandom and politeness because he's achieved everything he wanted to achieve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom