• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

Milchjon

My order
Lumia920.jpg

Weren't you the Pittsburgh fan?
Missed chance to go Black&Yellow.

Demy

Ok so I was reading the WP8 forums on the verge to see if anyone had gotten the charger on the AT&T site. I read multiple people saying they got a pop-up during pre-order to get the charger, but I never got this pop-up. I then tried the online chat again and got this:

The rep says to order then call sales department and get them to add charging plate. Going to try this in an hour and see if it works.

Quikies83

Ok so I was reading the WP8 forums on the verge to see if anyone had gotten the charger on the AT&T site. I read multiple people saying they got a pop-up during pre-order to get the charger, but I never got this pop-up. I then tried the online chat again and got this:

The rep says to order then call sales department and get them to add charging plate. Going to try this in an hour and see if it works.

Sales department was no help at all.. Says they can't add an item once the order has been placed. She said that I'd have to cancel the order and redo it. Fuck it. So much misinformation: originally told I didn't need to add it to my order because it would automatically be included, then told that I needed to add it to my cart from accessory page, and now this...

Chiggs

Gold Member
My order now says "backordered." Goddamn it. I would have just went to a store on Friday.

Edit: Oh, and I didn't get the pop-up for the wireless pad, either.

GusBus

Not that it would ever happen, but if Microsoft wanted to really impact the market they could release this thing unlocked for $299. It would blow the Nexus 4 out of the water, and they would sell more units than they could possibly manufacture. WP8 would see tremendous growth as the user base would explode, and devs would jump right on over. Obviously, they'd take a major hit on the sale of each unit. However, like it was with Xbox it'd probably be worth it in the long run. A guy can dream...

Not that it would ever happen, but if Microsoft wanted to really impact the market they could release this thing unlocked for $299. It would blow the Nexus 4 out of the water, and they would sell more units than they could possibly manufacture. WP8 would see tremendous growth as the user base would explode, and devs would jump right on over. Obviously, they'd take a major hit on the sale of each unit. However, like it was with Xbox it'd probably be worth it in the long run. A guy can dream...

Except this isn't Microsoft's phone... :(

Quikies83

I chose Matte Black and, yes, it did change to backordered.

Damn. Mine still shows "processing". I know you can call and cancel the order -- could just take your chances in the stores on Friday. I have two Att and two BB stores in a 30 mile radius. Surely they'll have phones available.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Damn. Mine still shows "processing". I know you can call and cancel the order -- could just take your chances in the stores on Friday. I have two Att and two BB stores in a 30 mile radius. Surely they'll have phones available.

Yeah, I might just do that, but they still charged my card. Lame!

I just preordered the matte black 920 from ATT.com

It was a really easy process. Not sure why there's so much confusion? On the second page after you select your phone when it asks what accessories you want (before the page that asks what service/data plan) you add a quantity of 1 for the black wireless charging pad. When you check out it shows the discounted value of the phone ($99) and the discounted wireless charger ($0).

With CA taxes and the upgrade fee it came to around $174 total.

Chiggs

Gold Member

It was a really easy process. Not sure why there's so much confusion? On the second page after you select your phone when it asks what accessories you want (before the page that asks what service/data plan) you add a quantity of 1 for the black wireless charging pad. When you check out it shows the discounted value of the phone ($99) and the discounted wireless charger ($0).

Tell me if your order gets the dreaded "backordered" designation in the next 30 minutes.

PG2G

Tell me if your order gets the dreaded "backordered" designation in the next 30 minutes.

Mine was back ordered earlier (I put the order in last night). It has showed Processing instead for the last couple hours though

Quikies83

Not everyone (including me) was getting the charge plate even listed on the accessory page.

If I upgrade a line on my family plan that's not mine, how does it work online when activating? In the store they always just deactivate my phone's SIM and activate the new phone. Is it the same process online?

TwIsTeD

My problem came from the Premier site not wanting to lower the price from $199 on the phone & $49.99 for the charging mat...the girl on the phone was confused but said all she could do was put in a request to have it adjusted later on....I think i`m just gonna head down the street to my store on friday morning and grab one there....if this thing sells out then I wont get mad, i`ll get excited for Windows Phone 8.

KoukiFC

Neo Member

Are you talking about Europe? Because in the US no one buys phone without contracts.

UraMallas

Mine shows "Processing". I was not able to select the wireless charger because it wasn't an option. I might have to call and bitch after I get the phone but I'm leaving the order alone at this time. I'd rather get the phone on Friday rather than cancel for a the free charger. I'll just ask for it for Xmas if I need to.

Went ahead and ordered online with the black. Was gonna go white, but I hate glossy finishes as nice as it looks in photos. Fingerprints bug the crap out of me.

Should be here on or before Saturday! And I got the wireless charging pad. Wonder if it's showing up for people based on area of the country/availability? Either way I'm surprised and a bit frustrated that my local AT&T store had no clue about it.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I preordered my 920! Went with the red. Excited, I am moving from an android phone, the original Evo.

jaypah

My fiance just ordered one for each of us, upgrading from Samsung Focuses. We went with big banging ass bright ballin' yellow. See me from a mile away with this neon monstrosity bitches!

Seriously though, I'm pretty amped. No option for the charge plate though, following the instructions in this thread. Whatevz, I just want my 920.

UraMallas

My fiance just ordered one for each of us, upgrading from Samsung Focuses. We went with big banging ass bright ballin' yellow. See me from a mile away with this neon monstrosity bitches!

Seriously though, I'm pretty amped. No option for the charge plate though, following the instructions in this thread. Whatevz, I just want my 920.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I went for big banging ass bright ballin blue - that's one extra B so SWAG. I just want the phone. I WILL be calling customer support after I get the phone and feign ignorance about thinking it was in the order already. Hopefully they'll bend and send me one out free.

kilongs

Anyone have the links to the set of pics with all the different combinations of Lumia color options and tile color accents? Specifically the cyan Lumia.

jaypah

I'm kind of in the same boat. I went for big banging ass bright ballin blue - that's one extra B so SWAG. I just want the phone. I WILL be calling customer support after I get the phone and feign ignorance about thinking it was in the order already. Hopefully they'll bend and send me one out free.

Yeah that's my plan too, haha. Though my lady just got off the phone with the sales department and online sales and they told her that charge pads are automatically shipping with the phones so I'll wait and see. If there's no pads in there then I'll unleash the customer service hounds.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Sweet, Nokia Sweden finally revealed the release date. It releases on *DRUMROLL*

The 29th :(. Way late, at least it's this month.

UraMallas

Yeah that's my plan too, haha. Though my lady just got off the phone with the sales department and online sales and they told her that charge pads are automatically shipping with the phones so I'll wait and see. If there's no pads in there then I'll unleash the customer service hounds.

This is good news. Thanks for the update. I'll use it as ammo if my order doesn't ship with one.

Lemonte

All you people talking about pre ordering cyan 920 makes me super jelly and sad... Why Nokia hates us Finns :( I might buy nexus 4 instead if cyan 920 doesn't come available here before the end of this year.

hoos30

Add me to the 920 hype train. Just ordered a cyan one for myself and a red one for the wifey. No charge pad option displayed, shit better get fixed.

Troll

Banned
Hmm... I don't know. Some people in here seem to still be able to get the plate unless they ordered early this morning but they posted about it after I did. I ordered at 7:57 am CST.

I just did my orders and had no problem with getting the charging plate.

alphaNoid

Banned
I have the opportunity to have my work buy me a 920, or I can wait a few months to see what comes around the corner. I need some wisdom from GAF here.. please help.

1. Kind of torn between the 920 and 8X -

I like Nokia build quality but personally think the HTC looks better, and matte tapered back.
I love the PureView Camera
I love Nokia Apps (Nav etc..)
I like the 4.5 display over 4.3
I currently own a HTC Rezound and like HTC hardware though too

= Leaning 920, wish it wasn't gloss.

2. My Rezound weighs 170g, and the 920 is 188g. YIKES!

I hate the weight of my Rezound as it is when I pickup my friends One X :/

3. Thickness, the 920 is 13.+ mm thick! Its basically a brick :/

So feature wise I like what I see with the 920 but where I'm scare to leap is in the clunky, heavy and thick design of this phone. I can't help but feel this is 1.0 and Nokias successor may come out in 6-8 months and be 8mm thick (like the One X) and weigh downwards to 130-140g.. which is desirable for me.

Bottom line, I'm afraid a much lighter and thinner version is around the corner and I will regret it. I could use some push from GAF or some convincing otherwise I suppose :/

Am I nuts?

UraMallas

I just did my orders and had no problem with getting the charging plate.

Well, that throws the ZDNet article right out the window. That didn't make much sense to me either. I'll be calling them after work to see what's up with my order.

Troll

Banned
Well, that throws the ZDNet article right out the window. That didn't make much sense to me either. I'll be calling them after work to see what's up with my order.

Yeah, that is your best bet. I'm about to call them to try and get my upgrade charge waived. Why charge me for continuing service with them? Makes no sense.

Top Bottom