• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

Troll

Banned
Ordered a Cyan ... and got the (free) black charger along with a cyan (not free) charger.

w00t can't wait!

Unfortunately it's still listed as pending though :\

Yeah, the interracial charging relationship is a little disappointing.

Wurst

The home screen looks gorgeous, but I found the apps/options menu pretty ugly using high contrast. Tiny icons make the entire background white and hard to look at.

Edit: High contrast also means that there is no way to customise the lock screen, it just turns into a giant white rectangle :(

Does that mean you can't set the tile color to black? Is it just for high contrast mode?
I can't make my mind up if I want a red or a yellow one :/

Welp. Just pulled the trigger on a Cyan 920. This is my first flagship phone and I opened a new account with ATT. I don't stream video or download anything. I just surf the web so I hope 3 gb's will be enough.

Also, just noting that I ran through the process on the regular ATT site and the Premier site. The wireless chargin plate only showed up (along with the pop up) on the Premier site for me. 117 out the door! Could not be more please.

Talon

Actually, you can also check the order status in ATT website. att.com/orderstatus
ATT site shows more details

For my order, the premier site shows "processing", but in ATT site "pending shipment".
They didn't have records of my order status at orderstatus or via phone.

Yet it somehow magically got here that Friday morning.

KoukiFC

Neo Member
Wireless charging is the future!

Xm2tl.jpg

UraMallas

I'm starting to wonder if my overnight delivery option will even matter. Might've been a wasted $15 if everybody gets their phones on 11/09.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Does that mean you can't set the tile color to black? Is it just for high contrast mode?
I can't make my mind up if I want a red or a yellow one :/

Just for high contrast, otherwise there is no black (although there's a metal gray that looks rather pleasant).

Now it's time to make the choice:

White Lumia 920 with black wireless charger or black 920 with white charger? Maybe all white/black?

1LlE6.jpg

I really REALLY want to buy 920 because my Incredible S is already showing its age. However if I upgrade my phone now I will loose so many features

- No NBA League Pass mobile

- No unlimited internet

- Monthly fee jumps from $65 to $83

- My Moga controller will not be compatible with 920

Look like I have to stick with Android for a while :(

Troll

Banned
I really REALLY want to buy 920 because my Incredible S is already showing its age. However if I upgrade my phone now I will loose so many features

- No NBA League Pass mobile

- No unlimited internet

- Monthly fee jumps from $65 to $83

- My Moga controller will not be compatible with 920

Look like I have to stick with Android for a while :(

The 920 is 450 off contract or you could get the new Nexus for 300

Quikies83

Upgraded from iphone 4 with grandfathered unlimited plan. Did anyone else go with unlimited data LTE / messaging option for $50?

thirty

Banned
The 920 is 450 off contract or you could get the new Nexus for 300

true but no other phone can record video like these. i've been scrutinizing these vids for the last 30 minutes and come away more and more impressed. first off, in that first video the guy is talking and it sounds like a voice over done in post processing but it isn't. amazing clarity considering the club setting. as the guy walks and billie jean is pumping through the speaker, the volume increases all without distortion. then in one of the body painting vids you see the camera man's shadow of his hand carrying the phone, no dslr in hand, no external flash module, just the 920. amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_CcV_s-FYU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zmw7kOcem30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAANv7pB3fI

I was paranoid that my premier order status said "Attention" and that AT&T's order status page had no record of my order. I wanted to be sure that I got the phone tomorrow.. so I'll go get one in person.
I'm just paranoid that I won't get mine in a timely manner. Unfortunately I'm also afraid I'll be unable to find one tomorrow. I work from 7 am and my schedule at work is too hectic to take time off to go get one tomorrow. And after work I have other obligations and by that time I'm afraid I'll be hard pressed to find one in stock (this has happened in my area so many times for newly released items). So I'll just take my chance online.

I'm just paranoid that I won't get mine in a timely manner. Unfortunately I'm also afraid I'll be unable to find one tomorrow. I work from 7 am and my schedule at work is too hectic to take time off to go get one tomorrow. And after work I have other obligations and by that time I'm afraid I'll be hard pressed to find one in stock (this has happened in my area so many times for newly released items). So I'll just take my chance online.

If that had been my situation, I'd have left my online order alone..

As it is for me, I don't have work until 11 am and there's an ATT store across the street from my apartment.

If you pop your sim in the new phone, it'll work. My brother has been doing that with unlocked phones and his unlimited data with ATT.

I know it works with unlocked phone. The phone I'm using now is unlocked as well. What I meant is if you buy an off contract 920 directly from at&t, you still need to change your grandfathered plan to 4G plan before you check out.

dude

dude
This is probably going to be my next phone, but I need to know two things before and if anyone here knows it'll be a huge help!

1. What languages does WP8 support? I didn't buy a WP7 phone because there was no Hebrew suppot whatsoever.

2. How are the maps (either Bing or Nokia) outside the US/other major countries? Is it on par with Google? If it's not, is there a Google Maps app that I can use?

If that had been my situation, I'd have left my online order alone..

As it is for me, I don't have work until 11 am and there's an ATT store across the street from my apartment.
Oh man, I'm envious. My ideal situation would be to wait until the store opens and get one first thing in the morning. I'm going to be watching Fedex.com all day instead :(

Quikies83

I know it works with unlocked phone. The phone I'm using now is unlocked as well. What I meant is if you buy an off contract 920 directly from at&t, you still need to change your grandfathered plan to 4G plan before you check out.

when changing from grandfather plan, I still got an option for Unlimited Data LTE.. what's the deal?

Hmmm...I don't remember changing my plan before I bought/preordered it yesterday.

If you pop your sim in the new phone, it'll work. My brother has been doing that with unlocked phones and his unlimited data with ATT.

I'm hoping this is the case, as the phone should be delivered at work and I just wanna do the swap there.

GCX

2. How are the maps (either Bing or Nokia) outside the US/other major countries? Is it on par with Google? If it's not, is there a Google Maps app that I can use?
Nokia Maps is great all over the world. Or at least almost, I don't really know about Africa and stuff.

Milchjon

This is probably going to be my next phone, but I need to know two things before and if anyone here knows it'll be a huge help!

1. What languages does WP8 support? I didn't buy a WP7 phone because there was no Hebrew suppot whatsoever.

Nokia Maps are pretty great worldwide.
I think there are Google Maps third party apps, but I've never used one because Nokia Maps and especially Drive (Navigation, including offline turn by turn) did everything I wanted.
I'm from Germany, for reference.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

uh what?

Just put your sim card in, no plan change is necessary

UraMallas

I hope I can use the camera to it's full potential. I'm worried that I won't be able to take pictures and video to the camera's full potential. I'll just ask for help in this thread to tweak my setting, I suppose.

Troll

Banned
I hope I can use the camera to it's full potential. I'm worried that I won't be able to take pictures and video to the camera's full potential. I'll just ask for help in this thread to tweak my setting, I suppose.

We're here for you.

Amazing how his fingers don't break.

Photoshopped.

As you can see from the background, the picture is supposedly taken on the 10th floor of a building. And we all know no architectural structure can hold the weight of the 920. It would collapse in an instant.

TylerD

Can't believe I didn't see this thread before. Great title!

I have to buy a truck to carry my 920 around because it will exceed my cars max gross vehicle weight by about a ton.

dude

dude
Nokia Maps are pretty great worldwide.
I think there are Google Maps third party apps, but I've never used one because Nokia Maps and especially Drive (Navigation, including offline turn by turn) did everything I wanted.
I'm from Germany, for reference.

Cool, good to hear!

According to what I can find online, there seem to be RTL and Hebrew support, but I'm not quite sure how good it is...

Can't believe I didn't see this thread before. Great title!

I have to buy a truck to carry my 920 around because it will exceed my cars max gross vehicle weight by about a ton.

You should buy the official car accessory.

vPF3p.jpg

Comes with a WiFi hotspot!

Photoshopped.

As you can see from the background, the picture is supposedly taken on the 10th floor of a building. And we all know no architectural structure can hold the weight of the 920. It would collapse in an instant.

Actually, the only way you can take an image of the 920 is with another 920 since the 920 is so dense and massive that light around it won't escape so you need another 920 that can counter this effect in order to get an image instead of a black spot.

PurView technology my ass! The real reason why the 920 is so good at soaking up light is because it's essentially dark matter.

Milchjon

Actually, the only way you can take an image of the 920 is with another 920 since the 920 is so dense and massive that light around it won't escape so you need another 920 that can counter this effect in order to get an image instead of a black spot.

PurView technology my ass! The real reason why the 920 is so good at soaking up light is because it's essentially dark matter.

It all makes sense now.

Troll

Banned

That's pretty high level right there.

I want a 920 so bad. First time since smartphones have been around that I've actually really wanted one.

Edit: that said, no O2. can I pop an O2 sim in an unlocked handset? Any other UK network can suck my balls.

Top Bottom