• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nominations for the 86th Academy Awards - January 16 at 5:30 a.m

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a film production seemingly designed around marketing actors' for awards. Nothing wrong with recognizing the good performances therein, but I think it's one of those rare examples where the performances don't necessarily make it a better movie. Just a watchable one.

This is the perfect description for me. The actors are solid, but I enjoyed almost no other aspect of the movie.

Leto really surprised the hell out of me, especially after how awful he was in Chapter 27. He took a role that could have easily gone too far, and reined it in for some genuinely wrenching displays of emotion. He also plays superbly off of McConaughey, which I also wasn't expecting to work at all. He definitely deserves all the kudos he's been receiving.

I personally would like Fassbender to win, but I'd have no qualms with Leto winning, he was aces in Dallas Buyer's Club. Same with McConaughey, I want Chiwetel to win, but if McConaughey got it I'd have no problem considering not only DBC but his numerous fantastic performances recently.

UberTag

I haven't seen Wolf of Wall Street and won't because of him. It will make me cringe if that movie is the big winner, but I suppose it already is with all those nominations.
If it makes you feel any better, I'd be surprised if it wins any of the 5 categories it's nominated for.
I still need to watch it.

UberTag

Man Prisoners got robbed. Should've at least had a Hugh Jackman nomination.
Most other years he would have been guaranteed a nom.
He certainly deserved it more for Prisoners than crappy Les Misérables.

But Best Actor was just a loaded category this year. He never stood a chance.

The only thing American Hustle deserves a nomination for is the fucking hair
So you're backing it to win for Costume Design then?

NewFresh

Miyazaki won't win against Frozen.

I think everyone foresees a Frozen victory. Sad, but most likely will happen.
I'm guessing Disney didn't want monsters university to be in the best animated picture category because they wanted one of their (disney animated) films to win for once? I mean Brave beat Wreck It Ralph for 2012 and that was just ridiculous.

Am I the only person who liked Brave more?

Ridley327

There is a Academy Award for Best Makeup and Hairstyling. Hustle wasn't nominated...

But Bad Grandpa was lol

One could definitely make the argument that if the goal of some makeup techniques is to be rendered convincingly unrecognizable, then surely Bad Grandpa deserves a nomination, since nobody recognizing that it's Johnny Knoxville is kind of a big deal.

UberTag

There is a Academy Award for Best Makeup and Hairstyling. Hustle wasn't nominated...

But Bad Grandpa was lol
Wow, I hadn't even realized that Hairstyling was added to the Best Makeup category.
Looks like that change went into effect last year. I completely glossed over that. Just assumed Makeup was still its own thing.

Am I the only person who liked Brave more?
I liked Brave more. But I liked ParaNorman better than both Brave and Wreck-It-Ralph.

Santiako

I'm guessing Disney didn't want monsters university to be in the best animated picture category because they wanted one of their (disney animated) films to win for once? I mean Brave beat Wreck It Ralph for 2012 and that was just ridiculous.
Brave is so much better than Ralph, that Oscar was completely deserved.

Mononoke

Banned
If you told me 5 years ago that Disney's in house CGI film will beat Miyazagi's and Pixar's flms for the Oscar in best animation...

I haven't seen it yet, still waiting for localization. But it kind of bums me out that he won't win for his last film before retiring. That said, I've also heard mixed reviews on the film. So just because it's his final film he's directing, doesn't mean it automatically deserves awards. The best deserves to win. If it's not the best, it's not.

Still, kind of makes bummed on some level. Weird way to feel I guess.

UberTag

Im kind of upset Lone Survivor didnt get any noms. Like best adapted screenplay
It got noms for Sound Editing and Sound Mixing. Those count.
That's just as many noms as The Lone Ranger received.

It fell short against Ranger in Razzie nominations, however. So sad.

I haven't seen it yet, still waiting for localization. But it kind of bums me out that he won't win for his last film before retiring. That said, I've also heard mixed reviews on the film. So just because it's his final film he's directing, doesn't mean it automatically deserves awards. The best deserves to win. If it's not the best, it's not.

The Wind Rises is a fine film but it's not Oscar worthy. I'm thrilled it was nominated and that he won for Spirited Away (which was incredibly deserved).

kswiston

I'm feeling deja vu, because it seems we have another year of people predicting a ton of wins for a David O Russell movie, when I'm pretty sure it won't take home anything aside from an acting award for Jennifer Lawrence. Best Pic/Director is going to go to 12 Years or Gravity. All of the other acting awards have 2-3 people who are more likely picks than someone from American Hustle.

Mononoke

Banned
It got noms for Sound Editing and Sound Mixing. Those count.
That's just as many noms as The Lone Ranger received.

It fell short against Ranger in Razzie nominations, however. So sad.

The Wind Rises is a fine film but it's not Oscar worthy. I'm thrilled it was nominated and that he won for Spirited Away (which was incredibly deserved).

Not surprised. I've heard others say this as well. Bummer. But it is what it is.

Joaquin Phoenix gets snubbed while Leo gets a nom, fuck off.

This bugged me too. I don't dislike Leo as much as some (although I think the criticism of his acting is fair, it's just not something that has bothered me enough to ruin my enjoyment). But in terms of technical acting, I find it very questionable that they found that performance better than Joaquin's Her. I just saw Her yesterday, and Phoenix is just an amazing actor.

One could definitely make the argument that if the goal of some makeup techniques is to be rendered convincingly unrecognizable, then surely Bad Grandpa deserves a nomination, since nobody recognizing that it's Johnny Knoxville is kind of a big deal.
Oh I think it deserves the nomination. I just think its funny.

Das Ace

This is his 7th retirement promise. I wouldn't count him out until he's dead.

Mononoke

Banned
I'm fine with Bad Grandpa's nod. The nom is for makeup, and not the quality of the film. So regardless how you feel about it as a movie (or art or whatever), doesn't change the fact that it had really great makeup (and that is what it's being nominated for). Plus, it's not like any film was snubbed for it. Now, there is no way it will beat out Dallas Buyers Club.

Mononoke

Banned
This is his 7th retirement promise. I wouldn't count him out until he's dead.

Well he never said he's retiring from producing, writing scripts etc. I don't think this is his last film. Although I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't direct another film. The guy is up there in age, and being a director is a lot of work.

But I hope you are right, and he takes the helm and directs again. As you said, he's talked about retirement many times before. Seems to be a thing with artists.

kswiston

This bugged me too. I don't dislike Leo as much as some (although I think the criticism of his acting is fair, it's just not something that has bothered me enough to ruin my enjoyment). But in terms of technical acting, I find it very questionable that they found that performance better than Joaquin's Her. I just saw Her yesterday, and Phoenix is just an amazing actor.

I have only seen Bale's and DiCaprio's performance out of the 5, but Phoenix was definitely better than both of those in Her. Some actors just play variations of the same guy over an over. Joaquin transforms himself when he takes on a role.

UberTag

Blue is the Warmest Color was eligible for noms in all other award categories... EXCEPT Best Foreign Film.

It was France's rules... not the Academy's that resulted in this weird schism.

The film was screened in North America in 2013... so it was eligible in all other categories. But because the film was not screened in France (outside of Cannes) prior to October 1st, France's movie submission for the Foreign Film category was Gilles Bourdos' Renoir. It was the film's domestic distributor that cost the film its chances of Oscar recognition in the one category it could have seriously contended.

someone please tell me Before Midnight has that Adapted Screenplay locked down
It doesn't sadly. Which is a shame because Ridley's 12 Years screenplay with its unnecessary Shakespearean monologues is entirely undeserving but will likely win due to its subject matter rather than actual merit. I'd almost be happy with any other film winning that category. I rather liked Philomena's screenplay as well.

Mononoke

Banned
I have only seen Bale's and DiCaprio's performance out of the 5, but Phoenix was definitely better than both of those in Her. Some actors just play variations of the same guy over an over. Joaquin transforms himself when he takes on a role.

Completely agree. I think he's easily up there with with Daniel Day Lewis in terms of what he's capable of. A lot of people give the guy shit for being weird. But when I hear his interviews, I see guy that is really passionate about acting from an art from, and who wants people to interpret things their own way. The guys seems to put a lot of himself into his work.

I mean, I went into Her not really knowing what to expect. The concept seemed absurd, and I wasn't sure how an actor could pull it off. But damn, it was wonderful. Leo on the other hand, was very entertaining in Wolf. But nothing screamed out to me as being nuanced or complex. It was fine.

strafer

If Phoenix is this acting god then why did he go all bonkers a while back? huh, explain that.

A real actor wouldn't do that.

If Phoenix is this acting god then why did he go all bonkers a while back? huh, explain that.

A real actor wouldn't do that.

He went bonkers for the mockumentary he did with Casey Affleck. The fact that he had so many people convinced it was real, proves how great an actor Joaquin Phoenix is.

Timbuktu

I didn't think it was top tier work for Miyazaki to be honest. And I don't really believe he is really retiring for a second. I think the first time i heard that he was making his final film as director, it was about Princess Mononoke.

I do think Monsters U has been a bit hard done by though. It was a very good film with a great ending, but people have got it in their heads that. Pixar had lost it and because it's a sequel it must be part of a downward spiral. Less deserving. Pixar movies obviously win the Oscar, even Monsters Inc got beaten by Shrek, just bad luck for the series i guess.

Surprised The Grandsmasters got noms in a couple of categories with even making it in the foreign language category, makes sense though.

A lot of notable films ignored completely. 'Rush' deserved something. Weird that Senna got completely ignored as well, guess it's too British without fitting into what they expect from a British film. Still plenty of UK talent in the mix though.

Couldn't agree more. While Brave was good, hardly anything animated compares to Wreck-It Ralph in the past I don't know how many years.

“American Hustle” being nominated for editing completely blows my mind. It was the number one thing I hated about the film---god awful editing, with a ton of inconsistencies. I'll be sad if it wins.

Lima

The Grandmaster gonna snatch that cinematography award. Cuarón is gonna win for Best Director.

Other than that I don't give a shit.

A lot of notable films ignored completely.

And that is why I don't understand people that say the year was weak. There are so many great movies that not even all of them could get a nomination.

Such a great year for movies. Too bad the film that I liked the most (Her) got so few nominations. That movie went straight into my top 5 list of forever.

Mononoke

Banned
I didn't think it was top tier work for Miyazaki to be honest. And I don't really believe he is really retiring for a second. I think the first time i heard that he was making his final film as director, it was about Princess Mononoke.

I do think Monsters U has been a bit hard done by though. It was a very good film with a great ending, but people have got it in their heads that. Pixar had lost it and because it's a sequel it must be part of a downward spiral. Less deserving. Pixar movies obviously win the Oscar, even Monsters Inc got beaten by Shrek, just bad luck for the series i guess.

Surprised The Grandsmasters got noms in a couple of categories with even making it in the foreign language category, makes sense though.

A lot of notable films ignored completely. 'Rush' deserved something. Weird that Senna got completely ignored as well, guess it's too British without fitting into what they expect from a British film. Still plenty of UK talent in the mix though.

True. However he's getting up their in age. He could still actively write scripts and produce but not direct. I'm with you guys in that artists always say they will retire but then break that after getting inspired to do more.

I'm also continuously sad to hear people say it's not great work by him. Is it at least better than Howls? I loved the animation and the idea of the film but thought his script was poor. I really don't like the second half of the film. It's always been my least favorite film of his in his later career.

Mononoke

Banned
Brave is garbage. Wreck it Ralph has some much more energy. I like it better than half of Pixar's movies.

Yeah I really did not love Brave. Story was generic and the characters weren't that likable. Always surprised that some love this. I didn't hate it like you though. But it's not a film I want to see again. Was alright.

tino

Banned
The Grandmaster gonna snatch that cinematography award. Cuarón is gonna win for Best Director.

Other than that I don't give a shit.

And that is why I don't understand people that say the year was weak. There are so many great movies that not even all of them could get a nomination.

Such a great year for movies. Too bad the film that I liked the most (Her) got so few nominations. That movie went straight into my top 5 list of forever.

I agree there are many great movies, but I don't have 1 movie I really really want it to win. So far I have seen most of the favorite stuff except 12 years and Ms Banks. I put Her on my top spot because I like it better than Llwyen Davis and Wolves. But I don't *love* Her.

y2dvd

I remember hearing a bit about Phoenix's antics back then, but never followed the details. What did he do that was so weird? And yeah I don't follow his work either but he was amazing in Her.

DM2 had better dialogue, more laughs, superior animation and a livelier world (background surroundings, people walking by with isolated movement, etc), more diverse set pieces, and no "out of the blue" plot twists that make no sense.

Frozen was a trip from a castle, to another castle, back to the aforementioned castle for two sisters to sing with a stop to troll village along the way. No. I appreciate they dropped some clichés on their head, but this movie just strung along emotional beats rather than make them feel organic. "Let it go" was infuriating tio listen to and was in the wrong movie. I'm in a quasi renaissance movie with ice cold and listening to some teenager belt out a tune using seemingly country vocals after she just 'Carrie'D herself from her party and no character development/transition. Absolutely bizarre.

iqcSPUfUQSmhf.gif

This is...yeah...I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

Frozen fans scare me.

It's no different to when people get behind a really good PIXAR film.

The better movie not winning the award it deserves how shocking. Probably for their safety though, if frozen were not to win I would expect some riots and death threats to the judge board.

Please. Frozen is one of Disney’s best in ages and a very deserving winner. The Wind Rises is good but not Miyazaki’s best. It shouldn't win just because it’s his last movie (probably won't be).

tino

Banned
For the record, I don't think Frozen is very good either. It's on par with Tangled. The songs are clearly a couple steps below the prime Disney musical. Its going to win though.

I haven't seen the film, but I expected Elba to grab a nod for Mandela considering Mandela's passing last month. I guess the Academy didn't want to make it seem like they were only giving him the nom because of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom