• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nominations for the 86th Academy Awards - January 16 at 5:30 a.m

Status
Not open for further replies.

zewone

Expecting American Hustle to clean up since it's mediocre as shit just like Argo last year.
I don't think it's that bad, but the fact it was nominated for so many Oscars is really telling of how little competition there was this year.
I really liked American Hustle, but Amy Adams and Bradley Cooper do not deserve nominations.

Jennifer Lawrence made Adams look terrible and Cooper was most entertaining when he was trying so hard to be serious that it was actually laugh out loud funny.

I agree with all of this. I was actually very surprised to see anyone nominated from this film that wasn't named Christian Bale.

Emma Thompson wasn't nominated.

EMMA THOMPSON WASN'T NOMINATED

iGXKoGm6xMJhL.gif

Fuck this shit. And Croods was nominated over Monsters U again after the golden globes.

Exactly how I feel. When i got out of the theater, I actually said how something's seriously wrong with the Academy if this movie doesn't get any actor nominations. But wow nothing but a musical nomination. Terrible shame.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
The Lana Del Rey best song snub is unacceptable,.

Sanjuro

I really liked American Hustle, but Amy Adams and Bradley Cooper do not deserve nominations.

Jennifer Lawrence made Adams look terrible and Cooper was most entertaining when he was trying so hard to be serious that it was actually laugh out loud funny.

I really liked a few scenes with Adams, but people shitting on Lawrence's performance either haven't seen the film, or possibly need a rematch. After Bale...and Louie C.K., she is the most complete character in the film.

All great performances though. Even from Renner who most people thought was dead.

HeelPower

I sincerely hope Frozen will get nominated for best screenplay, original score and best picture. Along with animated picture and best song, of course.
Hobbit will get a few nominations too, but probably not in best picture or screenplay, though.
Frozen is 100% Best picture material.But in the end awards bureaucracy prevails.

Animated feature is almost always restricted to its category, no matter how good it is.Only exception being beauty and the beast.

Best Actress for Cate Blanchett for Blue Jasmine.
absolutely.If she doesn't win then academy should close down..

Exokell said:
Bullock winning best actress for blindside was more ahitty than this nomination

Her role in that movie was relatively weak.Its absolutely shocking that she won.A nomination was as far as she should've gotten imo.

But her work in gravity is top, top notch.If cate blanchett hadn't been around I would give it to her.

I hope Leo wins. Also, dafuq, no Hanks? Thought he would as least get a nom. Switch Bale for him.

Bale and Cooper acting is always missing something.Imo they can be good but they aren't great or fantastic.

They don't have the ability to be chameleons but they can display emotion.

Das Ace

Jonah was amazing in Wolf, but I think Jared Leto has that category locked up (fuck, this is a weird thing to be typing...)

Joaquin gets snubbed. Probably on the basis of him and the Academy having beef.

Meryl Streep is nominated for one. What a shock.

The animated category is pretty weird. It's pretty obviously between to Frozen and The Wind Rises

HeelPower

Slow year.

Gravity should win for it's visuals, but Bullock being nominated is sort of joke.

American Hustle is looking to clean up.

I still need to see Wolf of Wall Street.

No its not.Her work in gravity is the best of her entire career and a great role in general.

This movie has so much emotional weight and is highly dependent on its sole lead.

Do you really think gravity could have worked without Bullock's work ?

She tied the whole room together.

zewone

No its not.Her work in gravity is the best of her entire career and a great role in general.

This movie has so much emotional weight and is highly dependent on its sole lead.

I don't think Gravity "worked" in the first place.

It was an interesting concept, and visually stunning, but the story and the character were not impressive.

Clooney getting by on his charm was on thing, but Bullock didn't do anything for me.

Panzon

Hope Leo finally gets his statue. His performance was excellent and im tired of seeing him getting snubbed. Also LOL at Hanks not getting a nod. I thought he pulled strings in the academy

Emarv

Frozen is 100% Best picture material.But in the end awards bureaucracy prevails.

Animated feature is almost always restricted to its category, no matter how good it is.Only exception being beauty and the beast.
Up and Toy Story 3 were also nominated for BP.

HeelPower

Up and Toy Story 3 were also nominated for BP.

correct.Sorry I completely forgot that.I just really wished that frozen would get nominated.

I don't think Gravity "worked" in the first place.

It was an interesting concept, and visually stunning, but the story and the character were not impressive.

Clooney getting by on his charm was on thing, but Bullock didn't do anything for me.

Opinions then.

But the movie resonated with a great deal of people ,and Bullock deserves credit.

KingK

Chiwetel Ejiofor is going to win Best Actor I'd bet. And he deserves it. Really competitive year for the category, but he gave one of the best performances I've ever seen.

Acorn

In the master I thought he would win without a doubt.

No ordinary actor can do that kind of role.I honestly thought Phoenix is mentally retarded after that movie.
Nah he did a big shit on the academy's desk. He isn't getting anything anytime soon.

Slow year.

Gravity should win for it's visuals, but Bullock being nominated is sort of joke.

American Hustle is looking to clean up.

I still need to see Wolf of Wall Street.

Eh, I think 12 Years a Slave is going to clean up, if anything does. American Hustle will probably win a couple things, like Supporting Actress. But to me it feels like this year's True Grit or Gangs of New York, the movie that gets the most nominations but wins very little.

WillyFive

It's for the greater good. Don't reward Pixar for that sub-par shit, even if it means The Croods gets a nod.

Monsters University is a significantly better movie than The Croods; it shouldn't be punished just because Pixar did stuff like Brave in the past.

Bullock was fantastic in Gravity and is very deserving of the nomination but Cate Blanchett should win by a mile, the only performance close to Blanchett's this year was Emma Thompson :(.

womfalcs3

Banned
Leo was far better in gatsby than in wolf of Wall Street. In the former, he demonstrated impressive control and range between exuding superiority and exhibiting vulnerability.

Shame that Tom hanks didn't get recognized for captain Phillips.

I haven't even seen half of those movies so I can't say much. I just hope Gravity doesn't win anything outside of best cinematography. I will try to watch Wolf and Hustle soon.

Edit:
No Tom Hanks for best actor????

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i think people watching oscar are going to be in for a pretty big surprise this year when the hobbit 2 wins due to the write in vote.

Ridley327

Where is the love for Mud and Place Beyond the Pines?

Both came out too early in the film, and neither Fox Searchlight nor Focus Features seemed particularly interested in campaigns for them. In Fox Searchlight's case, though, 12 Years a Slave was the smarter film to highlight, while Focus Features had Dallas Buyers Club, with its nearly unstoppable hype for Leto's performance and an outside chance of an upset in the Best Actor category for McConaughey.

Oozer3993

Alone Yet Not Alone.. dear god. Just realized what it is... how did these nominations happen??

Because the music was written by a former AMPAS Governor and head of the music branch. He called all his friends in the music branch, urging them to vote for Alone Yet Not Alone.

Monsters University is a significantly better movie than The Croods; it shouldn't be punished just because Pixar did stuff like Brave in the past.

The Academy clearly bears Pixar no ill will for Brave. It won Best Animated Film just last year.

Steve McQueen potentially becoming the first black filmmaker in history to win the best director oscar for a film about slavery feels slightly cheap to me.
He'll win it too.

Das Ace

... considering they already robbed him twice already?

Considering he said this:

http://www.interviewmagazine.com/film/joaquin-phoenix#page4

I'm just saying that I think it's bullshit. I think it's total, utter bullshit, and I don't want to be a part of it. I don't believe in it. It's a carrot, but it's the worst-tasting carrot I've ever tasted in my whole life. I don't want this carrot. It's totally subjective. Pitting people against each other... It's the stupidest thing in the whole world. It was one of the most uncomfortable periods of my life when Walk the Line was going through all the awards stuff and all that. I never want to have that experience again. I don't know how to explain it—and it's not like I'm in this place where I think I'm just above it—but I just don't ever want to get comfortable with that part of things.

a few weeks before he was nominated for The Master.

and also what you said.

inm8num2

American Hustle is this year's grossly overrated film. Last year's was Silver Linings Playbook. Two years before that was The Fighter.

Hmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom