• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nominations for the 86th Academy Awards - January 16 at 5:30 a.m

Status
Not open for further replies.

zma1013

I will be disappointed if Gravity wins more than 1 award. Good movie, but there were many more deserving movies.

Yeah but Gravity should sweep all the technical categories. Things like visual effects, sound editing, sound mixing, film editing, cinematography, etc etc. Possibly directing as well.

Blinck

Fuck yes Gravity.

I know it's not plot-heavy or whatever. But I think it was the movie that most advanced cinematography in general in these last years. I was absolutely stunned with every scene, and usually I'm just not impressed in this sense when watching movies.
It's also the only movie where the 3D is actually relevant and makes the experience much, much better.

Hope it gets Best Picture.

Bad movie but Oblivion should have gotten nominations for the Sound categories. Seriously the best sound effects I've ever heard in a film.

I haven't gotten around to watching any of these live action movies :(

With that said, Despicable Me better beat Frozen. It was vastly superior in every way.

Edit: can't believe that godawful "let it go" song got nominated. What had me rolling my eyes in movie turned out to be Oscar bait after all apparently.

WAT? Despicable Me 2 was surprising decent, but it's not even in the same league as Frozen. And 'Let It Go' is great and deserves the win.

ekimneems

Neo Member
Best foreign language film of the year
“The Hunt” Denmark

Woohoo!

I was so happy to see this get nominated. I usually discover more great movies through the Best Foreign Picture nominees than I do any of the other categories.

Otherwise, the Oscars really aren't much better than the Golden Globes. I'm no longer shocked year after year when people are just blindly robbed of awards, and others are given for such obvious reasons ("This guy is old Hollywood and hasn't won yet and deserves to," or "This is a movie about Hollywood or movie making," or "It's Meryl Streep")

I totally refuse to watch. I'll watch the results stream in on Twitter or something, but I absolutely refuse to lend ratings to this garbage.

Hanks was only really great in the last ten minutes. Good up until then, but Abdi was better.

All of the nominees for best actor were better than Hanks, and so was Isaac, Redford and Phoenix

Measley

Michael Fassbender deserves the oscar for 12 years. Holy crap he was amazing. Just watch that scene in that movie between him and Brad Pitt.

It was like a god talking to an insect.

Tom_Cody

Inside Llewyn Davis got robbed. Oscar Isaac deserves Best Actor for that film.
I'm kind amazed that it is so absent from the major categories but I don't know if I should be. It is an apologetically specific personal story; I guess it just didn't resonate with enough academy voters.

To be fair, this is irrelevant. There have been Oscar wins for actors with less than a 10 minute screentime.

Yeah but if all of that ten minutes has been amazing as opposed to 2 hours of good and 10 minutes of amazing, that makes them more worthwhile

Not that I really agree with someone like Dench winning based on ten minutes. William Hurt being nominated over Ed Harris for history of violence was crazy as well.

GPsych

Can't believe that Star Trek was nominated for visual effects, but Pacific Rim wasn't. I mean, Star Trek? Those visual effects were terrible for the budget they had to work with.

I'm pleasantly surprised by most of the noms this year. Not much recognition for the more typical "oscar bait" and I think most of the best picture choices are "worthy". American Hustle was much better than I thought it would be so I'm not mad at it being listed everywhere. Only major things that stick out would be the lack of Monsters U and recognizing Jared Leto's DBC role as I thought he was laughably bad and by far the weakest part of the film.

EDIT: Maybe it's against the rules, but I really feel ScarJo should be nominated for Her. The film was very disappointing/underwhelming overall but her performance was pretty amazing.

I'm kind amazed that it is so absent from the major categories but I don't know if I should be. It is an apologetically specific personal story; I guess it just didn't resonate with enough academy voters.

I'm surprised A Serious Man was on the best picture list and stuff, that was a far more personal movie and much harder to watch.

Hanks did some of the best dramatic work of his career throughout that film, not just the last 10 minutes. The best thing about Tom is that he only brings exactly what the role demands, and nothing more. He doesn't have to turn it up to 11 unless it calls for it. He doesn't have any of those established moves like Pacino's LOUD WIDE-EYES thing he always does, or the squinty head bobble of DeNiro or Jack Nicholson's Jack Nicholsoning his way through all the things, etc. Despite being one of the most charming American actors around, not a hint of that is on display here, as the solid and workmanlike Phillips. I'd say its because of how relatively calm and collected he seems for the majority of the film that gives the final 10 minutes or so its power.

strafer

Hanks did some of the best dramatic work of his career throughout that film, not just the last 10 minutes. The best thing about Tom is that he only brings exactly what the role demands, and nothing more. He doesn't have to turn it up to 11 unless it calls for it. He doesn't have any of those established moves like Pacino's LOUD WIDE-EYES thing he always does, or the squinty head bobble of DeNiro or Jack Nicholson's Jack Nicholsoning his way through all the things, etc. Despite being one of the most charming American actors around, not a hint of that is on display here, as the solid and workmanlike Phillips. I'd say its because of how relatively calm and collected he seems for the majority of the film that gives the final 10 minutes or so its power.

Brilliant.

Im in tears.

luso

I don't buy Bullock as a candidate. I even cringed during a scene in the movie...

Gravity looks like it will be Crash again?
Not the winning thing, but how unmemorable it will be remembered in a few years

dmshaposv

Jonah hill got nominated, again?

what an odd world we live in. Of all the rogen/franco/apatow/rudd frat pack this guy is killing it.

overcast

JLaw really gonna bring another oscar home, huh? It feels almost manufactured. Like she's getting shoved down our throats. She's not bad, it just seems too much.

Can't believe Monsters U got snubbed from animated. Croods and Despicable Me? Joke.

Disappointed Phoenix wasn't nominated for her, but expected. Can't really get mad at best picture noms. Need to see Nebraska, 12 Years and Hustle.

Surprising to see Blue is the warmest color missing out. Also surprised to see Before Midnight get recognition, well deserved!

Blader

Yeah but Gravity should sweep all the technical categories. Things like visual effects, sound editing, sound mixing, film editing, cinematography, etc etc. Possibly directing as well.

Cuaron is definitely the most deserving of the five nominated for best director, but the Academy rarely splits up the best director/picture winners and I don't think this will really be another Affleck/Argo situation. My guess is that McQueen and 12 Years a Slave will take those awards.

Hanks, Phoenix and Redford are all big snubs but the best actor field is incredibly deep this year so I can't complain. The one that gets me mad is Emma Thompson being snubbed in favour of giving Meryl Sheep her millionth nomination for another one of her mediocre oscar bait specials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom