• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nominations for the 86th Academy Awards - January 16 at 5:30 a.m

Status
Not open for further replies.

zma1013

Gravity looks like it will be Crash again?
Not the winning thing, but how unmemorable it will be remembered in a few years

Naw, there are so many good scenes in that movie that are burn into my brain. I think it will easily be remembered.

injurai

Banned
Hanks, Phoenix and Redford are all big snubs but the best actor field is incredibly deep this year so I can't complain. The one that gets me mad is Emma Thompson being snubbed in favour of giving Meryl Sheep her millionth nomination for another one of her mediocre oscar bait specials.

Emma Thompson easily deserves it as far as I'm concerned, though I'll admit I haven't yet seen Blue Jasmine.

ekimneems

Neo Member
He'll get it next year for Inherent Vice

I hope so. He should have won it over DDL for The Master. One of the best performances I've ever seen.

PTA gets robbed over and over, too. Wasn't even nominated for directing for The Master. Shooting in 70mm and then using that format for mostly close-ups of the actor's faces was so brilliant, and makes the performances even more impressive than they already were.

There Will Be Blood did get a little love, but still. Easily my favorite director.

I love Leo as much as the next guy, but I didn't really like his performance in Wolf. There was zero depth to his character. All he did was yell for 3 hours. His performance in the Departed blew this out of the water.

Blader

I hope so. He should have won it over DDL for The Master. One of the best performances I've ever seen.

PTA gets robbed over and over, too. Wasn't even nominated for directing for The Master. Shooting in 70mm and then using that format for mostly close-ups of the actor's faces was so brilliant, and makes the performances even more impressive than they already were.

There Will Be Blood did get a little love, but still. Easily my favorite director.

Why?

madkiller said:
I agree. Renner had one great scene towards the end whereas Cooper was just....there. His performance was nothing special, same thing with Bale.

Agreed, Renner put in a great, very uncharacteristic performance while Cooper was just doing a louder version of his Silver Linings role.

Vesmir

Banned
I am about as big a hack as there is for Gravity, but feel that 12yas gets the win over it for best picture. Best actress is shaky too. I can't see it losing it's other nominations though.

GAF putting it on blast has been amusing to read, especially when people bring up shit like American Hustle and (with one person) fucking Man of Steel. And of course CineGAF wouldn't be complete without crying over Frozen and Pacific Rim.

strafer

I love Leo as much as the next guy, but I didn't really like his performance in Wolf. There was zero depth to his character. All he did was yell for 3 hours. His performance in the Departed blew this out of the water.

Not really, that performance was as stiff as a nuns nipples.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Hanks, Phoenix and Redford are all big snubs but the best actor field is incredibly deep this year so I can't complain.

Hanks, no. I like the film, but his performance in it was good. Not great. Abdi performance in it was fantastic though.

Phoenix really deserved it though. Saw Her the other day and was sort of amazed at how much emotion he was able to do, with basically just himself alone. The entire movie was driven by him interacting with a voice. And the finale monologue. /Dead

But I'll agree, Best year in quite a while.
Dicaprio in Wolf and Chiwetel Ejiofor in 12 Years were both fantastic. And while not quite as strong as I would say those two nor Pheonix, Bale still put out a great one.

ekimneems

Neo Member

I guess I can answer this in two ways?

I mean, the first is just totally subjective in the sense that it really immerses you in the performances. I saw it on opening night projected in 70mm in NYC and it was really really cool looking. It was almost the film version of "hi-def," I guess? You can see every bump and imperfection on each actor's face. There was really no room for shitty performances, or they would've been so, I don't know, obvious? If that makes any sense?

The other answer would be a technical one: traditionally, the 70mm format is used for big epics & landscapes. See also: Lawrence of Arabia. The film is very hard to find and very expensive/difficult to work with. So not only was it interesting on its own that he chose it for a modern film, but even more interesting that he didn't use it for those huge landscape shots. The close-ups in 70mm just seem so much more real and personal.

Jarmel

Banned
This is a really strong list. I haven't seen all the films on it but I can't really disagree with a good chunk of the picks. Good year for movies.

Blader

I guess I can answer this in two ways?

I mean, the first is just totally subjective in the sense that it really immerses you in the performances. I saw it on opening night projected in 70mm in NYC and it was really really cool looking. It was almost the film version of "hi-def," I guess? You can see every bump and imperfection on each actor's face. There was really no room for shitty performances, or they would've been so, I don't know, obvious? If that makes any sense?

The other answer would be a technical one: traditionally, the 70mm format is used for big epics & landscapes. See also: Lawrence of Arabia. The film is very hard to find and very expensive/difficult to work with. So not only was it interesting on its own that he chose it for a modern film, but even more interesting that he didn't use it for those huge landscape shots. The close-ups in 70mm just seem so much more real and personal.

heh, I guess I was disappointed in it for exactly the same reasons you liked how it was used. Personally I thought 70mm would have been far better suited for There Will Be Blood. Like you said, The Master was shot with so many close-ups that using the format on this film felt like a waste to me.

That being said, the more films shot in 70mm the better, so I'm not exactly going to rail against it either.

botty

Banned
Performance by an actor in a supporting role

Barkhad Abdi in “Captain Phillips”
Bradley Cooper in “American Hustle”
Michael Fassbender in “12 Years a Slave”
Jonah Hill in “The Wolf of Wall Street”
Jared Leto in “Dallas Buyers Club”

timberlordreturnslmx03.gif

Kraftwerk

I would like if Leo won, and Jonah was good too.

In reality though, I believe 12 years a slave will win not categories, and I have no problem with that.

ekimneems

Neo Member
heh, I guess I was disappointed in it for exactly the same reasons you liked how it was used. Personally I thought 70mm would have been far better suited for There Will Be Blood. Like you said, The Master was shot with so many close-ups that using the format on this film felt like a waste to me.

That being said, the more films shot in 70mm the better, so I'm not exactly going to rail against it either.

I could see that, sure. I guess it's not really a waste though because I'm not sure that many directors are all that interested in it. Oh well, the more filmstock for PTA, the better, if you ask me!

I think Django would've been cool in 70mm because you would've gotten the big landscape shots AND the awesome Tarantino conversation scenes with the face close-ups. Plus... Tarantino.

Empty

shame blue jasmine didn't get in there for best picture. loved that film.

so far i've seen of best picture noms: american hustle, captain phillips, gravity and nebraska. captain phillips is my favourite of those, but i'm really looking forward to seeing 12 years a slave (especially, this), wolf of wall street and her in the next few weeks, so it's way too early.

Emma Thompson easily deserves it as far as I'm concerned, though I'll admit I haven't yet seen Blue Jasmine.

Blue Jasmine was great as well. I'll be very happy if Cate Blanchett wins. I think it will rightfully come down to her or Amy Adams with Dame Judi Dench(another highly worthy performance) the dark horse. Which is why its even more annoying that Sheep got another nomination while Emma Thompson ,who's performance is just as good as Adams,Blanchett and Dench , is snubbed.

zewone

Slow year.

Gravity should win for it's visuals, but Bullock being nominated is sort of joke.

American Hustle is looking to clean up.

I still need to see Wolf of Wall Street.

Moppeh

Banned
The lack of "Inside Llewyn Davis" love is a real bummer. I adored every single aspect of it (well, Carey Mulligan could have maybe toned down her performance a bit). It's definitely my film of the year. Hopefully it will win for Sound Mixing and Cinematography since it looks and sounds so beautiful.

.GqueB.

Banned
I need to see all-ah these. They rerelease these films in theaters close to the oscars right? Are they cheaper? Hope so. If not I'm gon' flip...

Emma Thompson wasn't nominated.

EMMA THOMPSON WASN'T NOMINATED

iGXKoGm6xMJhL.gif

Fuck this shit. And Croods was nominated over Monsters U again after the golden globes.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Expecting American Hustle to clean up since it's mediocre as shit just like Argo last year.

Slow year.

Gravity should win for it's visuals, but Bullock being nominated is sort of joke.

American Hustle is looking to clean up.

I still need to see Wolf of Wall Street.
Yeah not a good year for movies. Not like last year but still way better than 2 years ago.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I really liked American Hustle, but Amy Adams and Bradley Cooper do not deserve nominations.

Jennifer Lawrence made Adams look terrible and Cooper was most entertaining when he was trying so hard to be serious that it was actually laugh out loud funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom