• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nor'easter expected to hit DC, NYC, Boston Monday night to Tuesday night

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuffy

I'd stock up on bread and peanut butter, not milk. Milk needs power. Peanut butter and bread is multiple meals and no need for refrigeration. Packets of tuna as well. No refrigeration and good enough on its own as a meal.

Milk seems useless in a blizzard situation.
If your power is out due to a blizzard, you have ample ways to keep food cold right outside your back door. Pack things in a cooler if you're worried about critters getting into it.

Retro

NWS for Philly area;

C6z8r2eVAAQChMb.jpg:large

"Shelter in place" is... unusual language for a blizzard.

Oxn

Girlfriend says that there's a line out the door to get into Trader Joe's in downtown Brooklyn.

New School campus is closed tomorrow, so my Tuesday evening class won't be happening.

Now im dreading going to the supermarket in an hour.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
"Shelter in place" is just a broader way of saying "stay home" in that if you are not already home you should just stay wherever you currently are.

Retro

There a link for this? I kinda wanna send it to my bosses

http://forecast.weather.gov/product...format=TXT&version=1&glossary=0&highlight=off

I've seen it used pretty often. They put it on the highway signs during storms here in MA

Must be more common up north for blizzards. I've only ever seen it for hurricanes in the last 9 years or so I've lived in the mid-Atlantic.

"Shelter in place" is just a broader way of saying "stay home" in that if you are not already home you should just stay wherever you currently are.

Exactly. Usually they just say "Avoid unnecessary travel" though, that's why it stuck out.

KSweeley

Wow, there's a storm system coming from the Gulf of Mexico that's producing lightning, wonder if we will get thundersnow.

tmNug5i.jpg

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Blizzard Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service New York NY
418 AM EDT Mon Mar 13 2017

...Major Winter Storm Late Tonight into Tuesday Evening...

CTZ007>010-NJZ006-104-106-108-NYZ071>075-078-080-176>179-132200-
/O.UPG.KOKX.BZ.A.0001.170314T0400Z-170315T0400Z/
/O.NEW.KOKX.BZ.W.0002.170314T0400Z-170315T0400Z/
Northern Middlesex-Northern New London-Southern Fairfield-
Southern New Haven-Hudson-Eastern Bergen-Eastern Essex-
Eastern Union-Southern Westchester-New York (Manhattan)-Bronx-
Richmond (Staten Island)-Kings (Brooklyn)-Northwestern Suffolk-
Southwestern Suffolk-Northern Queens-Northern Nassau-
Southern Queens-Southern Nassau-
418 AM EDT Mon Mar 13 2017

...BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO MIDNIGHT
EDT TUESDAY NIGHT...

The National Weather Service in Upton has issued a Blizzard
Warning, which is in effect from midnight tonight to midnight EDT
Tuesday night. The Blizzard Watch is no longer in effect.

* Locations...Metropolitan New York City and New Jersey, Western
Long Island, Southern Westchester, Southern Fairfield, Southern
New Haven, Northern Middlesex, and Northern New London
counties.

* Hazard Types...Heavy Snow and Blizzard Conditions. Snow may mix
with or change to sleet and rain across southern and eastern
coastal areas late Tuesday morning into Tuesday afternoon.

* Snow Accumulations...12 to 20 inches...highest amounts to the
north and west.

* Snowfall Rates...2 to 4 inches per hour early Tuesday morning
into early Tuesday afternoon.

* Timing...Late tonight into Tuesday evening.

* Impacts...Dangerous travel due to whiteout conditions at times.
Several roads may become impassable. Power outages possible.
Damaging wind gusts possible across Long Island and coastal
Connecticut.

* Winds...Northeast 25 to 35 mph with gusts 40 to 55 mph on
Tuesday. Highest winds across coastal areas.

* Temperatures...In the upper 20s.

* Visibilities...One quarter mile or less at times.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Blizzard Warning means severe winter weather conditions are
expected or occurring. Falling and blowing snow with strong winds
and poor visibilities are likely. This will lead to whiteout
conditions...making travel extremely dangerous. Do not travel. If
you must travel...have a winter survival kit with you. If you get
stranded...stay with your vehicle.

&&

$$

Fuck yeah BOYS!

The Llama

I work for the city of Philadelphia, who have only announced that they won't be making an announcement about whether we're closed until tomorrow morning 😒

tbm24

Looks like I may actually be unable to get to work tomorrow even if I wanted to. Now the question becomes do I work from home or take a pto day, I have either option. Never been faced with this decision before!

Nipo

DC's gonna be in yet another god damn cold rain, no-snow hole again isn't it...

Looks like it. I'm still thinking OPM will close for the day due to higher totals in the suburbs. If we actually get freezing rain and sleet that can actually cause more problems than snow.

Beeks

GodofWine

I work for the city of Philadelphia, who have only announced that they won't be making an announcement about whether we're closed until tomorrow morning 😒

Thats because they got burnt by their drama hungry weather people too many times.

Seriously, Glenn 'Hurricane' Schartz is about the worst on camera meterologist I've ever seen, his predictions might be OK, but watching him stumble through his slides is like watching a college freshman's first class presentation.

People from out of the area who come in, are like "why does the news spend 10 minutes on the weather and brag about their 'RADAR'...

Jarmel

Banned
Are there any good models that break down the snowfall in inches per hour? I have work tomorrow morning at 8am and want to know how much snow should be on the ground by then.

E92 M3

Thats because they got burnt by their drama hungry weather people too many times.

Seriously, Glenn 'Hurricane' Schartz is about the worst on camera meterologist I've ever seen, his predictions might be OK, but watching him stumble through his slides is like watching a college freshman's first class presentation.

People from out of the area who come in, are like "why does the news spend 10 minutes on the weather and brag about their 'RADAR'...

He is a hurricane expert, leave Mr. Schwarts alone.

smisk

Unless it's unsafe to drive I have to go into work early tomorrow.. (DC area). I'll probably go in if it's 3" or under. Gotta wake up at 5:00 am to see what things are like and possibly shovel my car out :(

Penguin

I hate new management... they literally will wait until it starts snowing before they make any official announcement

Last time had to wake up at 5am to find out!

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Unless it's unsafe to drive I have to go into work early tomorrow.. (DC area). I'll probably go in if it's 3" or under. Gotta wake up at 5:00 am to see what things are like and possibly shovel my car out :(

You ain't getting anything bro LOL...

Damn must be disappointing lol..

Maybe safer to just take the metro?
That might not be safer.

Seems I've settled in the 8-12" range. I'm just hoping it's not a wet, heavy snow. I've got a pine tree close to the house I've become increasingly worried about over the last year during times like this.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
The timing of this storm is so damn inconvenient for people wondering if they can make it to work lol

Even if you can *make* it work, it's going to be snowing heavily all day, so you then have to worry about making it home. It's kind of irresponsible to stay open knowing that is the case, especially if anyone in the office relies on public transportation which may be impacted.

Even if you can *make* it work, it's going to be snowing heavily all day, so you then have to worry about making it home. It's kind of irresponsible to stay open knowing that is the case, especially if anyone in the office relies on public transportation which may be impacted.

I work in a facility that cares for live animals...so figure that one out lol

And just sent an e-mail... saying we'll know by 5am tomorrow morning

GRRR

Damn, my place sent and email 2 hours ago, then made sure to robo called everyone to tell them that we have no work. I'll just say that even if your place will be open, you should stay home if it gets as bad as it's supposed to.

I work in a facility that cares for live animals...so figure that one out lol

How does your job usually deal with situations like this. Do they have someone go and stay with the animals?

epmode

North Jersey: My office is still saying we're open tomorrow. They'll take a vacation day if we call out. Good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom