• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nor'easter expected to hit DC, NYC, Boston Monday night to Tuesday night

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSweeley

Oh damn, this snow forecasted for Baltimore is affecting Amazon deliveries. I have a book I pre-ordered last month and it said it was going to be delivered on its release date of Tuesday, March 14, 2017 but I just checked the order page and it says the delivery estimate is "Thursday, March 16, 2017 by 8pm."

jstripes

Banned
Latest model posted in that thread:

index.php

areas just north and west of NYC still well above the 1 ft range.

Local forecasts still show about 6~8" for Toronto.

Ottaro

Welp, my flight tonight into ny was cancelled so I wont be dealing with all this. God speed, north eastern gaf.

coopolon

Last I heard is 3-6" here in the DC area. And it's supposed to start out as rain this evening so I doubt major roads are going to be bad. Just enough to be annoying, not enough that I can in good conscience stay home from work :/

It's going to be actively snowing throughout the morning isn't it? I guess I haven't looked at DC, but in Baltimore I'd be pretty surprised if everything doesn't shut down for the day.

I'm not expecting much for DC; I feel like we always get shafted during these things. I feel like the weather is going to stay too warm, and we'll just end up with some cold rain. I have a big presentation to give tomorrow at work, and would love for it to be rescheduled.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
It's going to be actively snowing throughout the morning isn't it? I guess I haven't looked at DC, but in Baltimore I'd be pretty surprised if everything doesn't shut down for the day.

Indeed. Wouldn't want to go to work in the morning knowing there could be a couple more inches of snow on the ground when you try to leave.

Strakt

From www.newjerseyweather.com

"Monday...1:50PM.....Life threatening blizzard conditions tomorrow ! With each new bit of analytic data we recieve, the more dire the situation appears for tomorrow. The snow start time has even been bumped up a bit...snow to start between 9pm and midnight tonight. We can't iterate enough how much the media has under-hyped the wind aspect for this blizzard. Seems like all the attention is on "how much snow?" and not on the wind and coastal flooding aspects. Wind gusts near hurricane force along with very heavy snow rates = Not a good combo. You need to prepare for power outages if you haven't already. This storm is very real and could be the worst winter storm in history for the area ! Unreal snowfall rates tomorrow...between 7AM and 5PM. The best comparison would be the Blizzard of 1888. Total snowfall amounts of 40" inches in the interior are now possible. (north-west NJ / Poconos , PA / southern New York state) "

Looking on the 18+ side of things tomorrow. Not happy. Intentionally didn't fill my snow blower figuring winter was behind me after the last set of storms, and thinking I'll still gamble it tomorrow.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2

"Monday...1:50PM.....Life threatening blizzard conditions tomorrow ! With each new bit of analytic data we recieve, the more dire the situation appears for tomorrow. The snow start time has even been bumped up a bit...snow to start between 9pm and midnight tonight. We can't iterate enough how much the media has under-hyped the wind aspect for this blizzard. Seems like all the attention is on "how much snow?" and not on the wind and coastal flooding aspects. Wind gusts near hurricane force along with very heavy snow rates = Not a good combo. You need to prepare for power outages if you haven't already. This storm is very real and could be the worst winter storm in history for the area ! Unreal snowfall rates tomorrow...between 7AM and 5PM. The best comparison would be the Blizzard of 1888. Total snowfall amounts of 40" inches in the interior are now possible. (north-west NJ / Poconos , PA / southern New York state) "

YAAAAAS QUEEEEN

DAFUQ!!! we Buffalo, NY now!!!!

Nipo

Capital weather gang just downgraded DC to 1-4 inches. This is going to end up as a bust with a dusting in the beltway isn't it.

My job has closed for tomorrow. I wonder if Wednesday is pushing for too much.

Gonna need to buy some milk for my hot chocolate and bread, since I don't have any.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Staying home tomorrow and Wednesday should be nice. As long as the power stays up, I am absolutely A-Okay with this since we haven't had substantial snow in Maryland once in 2017. Will be playing Horizon, catching up on One Piece, and enjoying food.

zelas

Capital weather gang just downgraded DC to 1-4 inches. This is going to end up as a bust with a dusting in the beltway isn't it.
What about just north of the beltway? MoCo specifically?

Edit - I found out actually

Immediate metro area rating

Inside the Beltway, where we’re predicting roughly 2-4 inches of sleet and snow, this storm rates as a Level 2 “disruptive storm.” The amount of snow we’re expecting isn’t huge, but as temperatures will be near freezing and wintry precipitation is likely to impact Tuesday morning’s commute, this storm is likely to cause enough complications in the region to merit this rating.

North and west suburbs rating

In northern Fairfax County, southern and central Montgomery County, and northern Prince George’s County, where temperatures will be colder and 3-7 inches of sleet and snow are likely, this storm rates slightly higher as a Level 3 “significant” storm. Some roads are likely to be snow-covered and slick and school closures are likely in this area.

Far north and west areas rating

In northern Fauquier, Loudoun, Frederick, and northern Montgomery County, where 6-12 inches of snow are expected, this storm rates as a Level 4 “major” storm. In these areas, snow will be heavy for an extended period of time leading to snow-covered roads and difficult travel. Widespread school closures are extremely likely in this area.

br3wnor

Damn it. lol

Going charge my portable gaming systems tonight just in case.

Gonna have the phone, Vita, Kindle and iPad at 100% come the morning. I'm north shore Long Island, so I'm nervous about power outages since the wind will be pretty crazy.

Schools are closed here and my job will likely be as well so looking forward to staying up late tonight.

gcubed

that map has 20 right over my house in the Philly burbs.

Its less than 12 hours away and i still have no faith that this is going to deliver

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Here's hoping South Shore LI won't lose power... Kind of wishing I bought a battery pack for my Switch, that 3 hours of battery ain't going to cut it if we lose power for a day.

Starting to worry about my parents. They are in the two-foot zone in eastern PA. Between Reading and Allentown. If my dad tries to snowblow his (150 foot long) driveway he'll have a heart attack. I'm begging them to hire someone to plow it and I'll pay for it, I just hope he is not stubborn.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member

Looking that way.

I guess Giant complained to NWS they were overstocked on Milk and Bread and needed to move it.

That NJ Blizzard warning is bonkers, lol.

And I live right in the middle of that blip that is calling for 24-28 inches.

Lets dooooo this

KSweeley

Just came from my local Giant supermarket and it is packed with people. Very long lines for the registers and self checkout.

People had their carts full of milk, eggs, bread and toilet paper. I checked out the aisles, milk is almost gone, bread is totally gone, eggs is completely out and toilet paper is very low.

A lot of people were saying they heard that a blizzard is coming to Baltimore.

coopolon

Just came from my local Giant supermarket and it is packed with people. Very long lines for the registers and self checkout.

People had their carts full of milk, eggs, bread and toilet paper. I checked out the aisles, milk is almost gone, bread is totally gone, eggs is completely out and toilet paper is very low.

Yesterday the two stores I went to were empty of people and well stocked, also Baltimore. Guess we only prepare the day before.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Fuuuuuck yeah! Where did you see the announcement?

I have an exam on Thursday in my Tues / Thurs class, hopefully it gets pushed to next week. I'd be very glad.

I'm a college professor assistant at CUNY and my professor told me they got an email saying it's closed.

lol
I always get a kick out of the stampede of crazies who stock up on bread and milk. I don't understand the logic behind that.

Rochester weather saying expect a foot or more, which is less than other places, but still enough to basically shut most stuff down.

And we're still recovering from our crazy 80mph wind storm last week...

lol
I always get a kick out of the stampede of crazies who stock up on bread and milk. I don't understand the logic behind that.

I'd stock up on bread and peanut butter, not milk. Milk needs power. Peanut butter and bread is multiple meals and no need for refrigeration. Packets of tuna as well. No refrigeration and good enough on its own as a meal.

Milk seems useless in a blizzard situation.

lol

It's annoying especially when I want to pick up some snacks and I have to wait in line forever.

Ehh I get it for some hot chocolate or for baking stuff. As I'm pretty sure my power wont go out. If it did. I'll just put it in the snow or something.

KSweeley

lol

It's extremely common here in Baltimore, people literally in the supermarkets right before a snowstorm just getting bread, eggs, milk and toilet paper.

Strakt

Rochester weather saying expect a foot or more, which is less than other places, but still enough to basically shut most stuff down.

And we're still recovering from our crazy 80mph wind storm last week...

I'd stock up on bread and peanut butter, not milk. Milk needs power. Peanut butter and bread is multiple meals and no need for refrigeration. Packets of tuna as well. No refrigeration and good enough on its own as a meal.

you mean you dont enjoy eating cereal in a blizzard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom