• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nor'easter expected to hit DC, NYC, Boston Monday night to Tuesday night

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
The MTA said it will follow its established plans to keep the region's transit services up and running during harsh winter weather conditions.

--Based on storm severity, MTA may modify or suspend revenue rail services to protect equipment and reduce weather-related rail accidents.
--MTA bus operations will take actions to reduce the likelihood of stranded buses and passengers and weather-related accidents based on specified triggers.
--During inclement weather conditions, MTA Paratransit will take certain actions to prevent stranded passengers and vehicles, and reduce the likelihood of weather-related accidents.

--Long Island Rail Road and Metro-North Railroad base decisions to activate contingency operations on actual and forecast conditions including snow accumulations, icing, and winds.
--Prior to snow events, extra managerial staff are deployed to B&T facilities and the Command Center activates its weather desk to monitor weather conditions on a continual basis.
--Check MTA.info for the very latest information before you go.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Are power outages normal for blizzards? I've lived in the Bronx for a bit, but haven't had a power outage due to weather yet.

In the city? No. Our power infrastructure is almost entirely underground, so a blizzard probably wouldn't have much effect. Once you get out into the burbs, though, power outages are pretty likely.

tim.mbp

Dentist office said they hadn't decided to close on Tuesday or not. I ain't going out in that storm for a cleaning.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Most likely off tomorrow. Now waiting to see if my girlfriend is off. Won't know till 6 probably to see if Public Schools are closed.

BioHazard

most likely will have no work. My work has a great policy that if NYC public schools are closed, we also close. I'm ready to get all up in that new BF1 expansion

GodofWine

Im in Southern NJ (near Phila.) and the way they are slowly moving the snowfall maps, Im now expecting this to be a dud and get about 4 inches. They keep moving the snowfall west / north in tiny increments (and aren't actually saying it).

But as long as you north jersey peeps get buried, I get a day off, I work in Trenton for the Govt. There was a storm 2 years ago where I got no snow, and had sunny skies all day, but got a snow day.

KSweeley

I live in Baltimore and the snow amounts are varying like crazy, from 12 to 18 inches to 4 to 8 inches forecasted in this 10:47 AM NWS winter weather statement:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
1047 AM EDT Mon Mar 13 2017

DCZ001-MDZ011-504-506-508-VAZ038-039-051>054-502-132300-
/O.CON.KLWX.WS.W.0003.170313T2300Z-170314T1800Z/
District of Columbia-Southern Baltimore-
Central and Southeast Montgomery-Central and Southeast Howard-
Southeast Harford-Greene-Madison-Culpeper-
Prince William/Manassas/Manassas Park-Fairfax-
Arlington/Falls Church/Alexandria-Southern Fauquier-
1047 AM EDT Mon Mar 13 2017

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING
TO 2 PM EDT TUESDAY...

* PRECIPITATION TYPE...Snow...mixed with sleet at times overnight.

* ACCUMULATIONS...Snow and sleet accumulation of 4 to 8 inches,
greatest northwest of Interstate 95 and in the higher foothills.

* TIMING...Snow will overspread the area this evening and persist
through Tuesday morning. The heaviest precipitation will be late
tonight.

* IMPACTS...The heavy snow will create difficult travel
conditions and may produce scattered power outages.

* WINDS...Northeast 10 to 15 mph with gusts up to 30 mph.

* TEMPERATURES...In the lower 30s.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Winter Storm Warning for heavy snow means severe winter weather
conditions are expected or occurring. Significant amounts of snow
are forecast that will make travel dangerous. Only travel in an
emergency. If you must travel, keep an extra flashlight, food,
and water in your vehicle in case of an emergency.

Flights at BWI are already being cancelled: http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimor...54ed97eff2d231e7414ef&t=1489417481&j=77633511

"BWI flight cancellations begin Monday night in preparation for storm
Mar 13, 2017, 10:56am EDT"

running to the game store now to stock up
I have a massive backlog so im good in that department and hope to clear some of it.

Though im right in that blizzard warning i hope i have power. I should charge my external batteries so i can play on the vita if the power does go out. May charge the 3ds aswell but that thing wont last very long haha.

any updated snowfall / area maps?

boss just came in and asked us if we were comfortable delivering for weds deadline with a snow day tomorrow - fingers crossed it hits big. i love huge storms. esp in the spring when they melt fast

Now I'm seeing 12" to 18" for Philly, as of the latest Weather Channel alert.

WTF.

It was 5" to 8" this morning.

This forecast is all over the place.

We'll probably just get sleet and rain lol

KSweeley

DCT_SPECIAL26_1280x720.jpg

Source: https://weather.com/storms/winter/n...rd-warning-noreaster-snow-forecast-march-2017

vypek

Now I'm seeing 12" to 18" for Philly, as of the latest Weather Channel alert.

WTF.

It was 5" to 8" this morning.

This forecast is all over the place.

We'll probably just get sleet and rain lol

Either way its a day off for me. Lol. I'll take it. :) Just hope there is no power outage.

Turning on Fox 5 was my thing. Waiting for Dave Price to say NYC school closes.

It always sucked for Private School kids because they wouldnt get big announcement they got the scrolling school names.

And if you missed the scroll for your boro you had to wait for it to loop back around. Every minute mattered.

I'm in DC and I bet we won't get shit. Everyone is freaking out at work. I live 2 blocks from the office (and have for 5 years) so I'll definitely be here, regardless.

I actually like coming in when nobody else is here. Can get a bunch of shit done, listen to music from my speakers, etc.

That would be the ideal. Just enough to get out work one day but not so much that you're trapped inside all day and have to shovel out for an hour the next day.
Exactly! Crossing my fingers! I live like 5 minutes outside of DC and it's saying 4-8 inches...ugh.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
It always sucked for Private School kids because they wouldnt get big announcement they got the scrolling school names.

And if you missed the scroll for your boro you had to wait for it to loop back around. Every minute mattered.

That was the worst. Especially since I couldn't check online because that would involve me sneaking to the computer and getting yelled at by mom for being up past a certain time. I just remember getting a text from my best friend saying Schools closed. We planned to shovel the next day but said fuck that and played video games all day.

I'm in DC and I bet we won't get shit. Everyone is freaking out at work. I live 2 blocks from the office (and have for 5 years) so I'll definitely be here, regardless.

I actually like coming in when nobody else is here. Can get a bunch of shit done, listen to music from my speakers, etc.

Yeah, I'm in MD and I'll just wipe off the wet slush and drive the 5 minutes to work. I need to get paid.

Everyone around work is freaking out, hoping they'll close tomorrow. They act like they're back in High School praying for a free day. Sure, I wouldn't mind kicking up an extra day, and if it is really bad, then it makes sense to stay off the road and get in some Zelda time. But I'd much rather be making some dough.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

KSweeley

I'm planning on going out this afternoon to my local Giant supermarket to see if it's super crowded with people buying multiple items of bread, eggs, milk and toilet paper.

The owner of Giant here in Maryland, Ahold Delhaize also has locations in NY/New England under the Stop & Shop banner.

Both actually have the same logos.

Giant (Maryland): https://www.aholddelhaize.com/en/brands/united-states/giant-landover/
Stop and Shop New England: https://www.aholddelhaize.com/en/brands/united-states/stop-shop-new-england/
Stop and Shop New York: https://www.aholddelhaize.com/en/brands/united-states/stop-shop-new-york/

C.Mongler

I'm in DC and at my office at least we are god damn AMPED for this snow storm. DC has gotten almost literally no snow this year, which is depressing for a city that's grown accustomed to usually 3 or 4ish days of sitting at home cheerfully seeing the 'CLOSED' status popup on the OPM website. Hell, I'll be happy as a pig in shit tomorrow if we even just get a 2 hour delay. A whole day off would be a godsend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom