• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nor'easter expected to hit DC, NYC, Boston Monday night to Tuesday night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, there's a storm system coming from the Gulf of Mexico that's producing lightning, wonder if we will get thundersnow.

tmNug5i.jpg

That's the storm that's about to hit us. The lightning is a sign of deep strengthening.

danthefan

My girlfriend and her family were meant to be flying Dublin to JFK tomorrow morning, flight just got cancelled. Really shitty.

Bernie Rayno cannot save me from this suspense. He basically said he can't call it for Philly. It could either mix or not mix, and drastically effect the snowfall totals.

Welp. I was supposed to have a job interview with USPS at 9AM on Wednesday and the bus was my only means of getting out there. I'm betting they'll still be open because they had this gung-ho "The post office never closes!" mentality when I worked there last year.

"our office will be open tomorrow unless we hear differently from our government agencies".

This fucking place.

I am along an above-ground subway, though. As long as that stays off, I have an excuse.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
"our office will be open tomorrow unless we hear differently from our government agencies".

This fucking place.

I am along an above-ground subway, though. As long as that stays off, I have an excuse.

I think everyone will be along an above-ground subway tomorrow if harassed by work.

Just got the email about my office being closed tomorrow.

Still expected to work from home, but at least I don't have to leave the apartment.

esms

Looking at the min/max numbers on NWS are hilarious for Philly. Maybe we get half an inch, maybe we get 20 inches. What a joke.

Retro

Chris Christie declared a State of Emergency in NJ; https://twitter.com/GovChristie/status/841394219143045123

Looking at the min/max numbers on NWS are hilarious for Philly. Maybe we get half an inch, maybe we get 20 inches. What a joke.

Yeah, Bernie Rayno, the guy at Accuweather who's really good at calling these storms, says that a lot of the snowfall totals aren't taking mixing into account, which would bring the snowfall amounts lower. Philly, though, he thinks could end up all snow, moreso than NY or Boston. http://www.accuweather.com/en/video...e-on-the-way/f4bzi5yte6o0cnlleinxd2ssq527igk4

Philly tends to get about 2" in these types of week-long 18"+ hyped storms.

The last storm they closed schools for here was supposed to be 8" or more. The official total was less than a half inch.

KSweeley

NWS forecasting 4-6 inches of snow for D.C., 5-7 inches of snow for Baltimore:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
518 PM EDT Mon Mar 13 2017

DCZ001-MDZ011-504-506-508-VAZ038-039-051>054-502-140530-
/O.CON.KLWX.WS.W.0003.170313T2300Z-170314T1800Z/
District of Columbia-Southern Baltimore-
Central and Southeast Montgomery-Central and Southeast Howard-
Southeast Harford-Greene-Madison-Culpeper-
Prince William/Manassas/Manassas Park-Fairfax-
Arlington/Falls Church/Alexandria-Southern Fauquier-
518 PM EDT Mon Mar 13 2017

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 2 PM EDT
TUESDAY...

* PRECIPITATION TYPE...Snow...mixed with sleet at times
overnight.

* ACCUMULATIONS...In the Washington DC area - 4 to 6 inches. In
Baltimore - 5 to 7 inches. In Virginia 4 to 6 inches near I-95
...higher amounts further west. In Maryland totals will range
from 4 to 6 inches in eastern Montgomery County to 8 to 12
inches in southeast Harford County. The further west from I-95
the higher the totals will be.

* TIMING...Snow will overspread the area this evening and
persist through Tuesday morning. The heaviest precipitation
will be late tonight.

* IMPACTS...The heavy snow will create difficult travel
conditions and may produce scattered power outages.

* WINDS...Northeast 10 to 15 mph with gusts up to 30 mph.

* TEMPERATURES...In the lower 30s.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Winter Storm Warning for heavy snow means severe winter weather
conditions are expected or occurring. Significant amounts of snow
are forecast that will make travel dangerous. Only travel in an
emergency. If you must travel, keep an extra flashlight, food,
and water in your vehicle in case of an emergency.

Kyrios

Looks like there's gonna be a lot of mixing in central Jersey by 11am rolls along. Wonder if that means snowfall totals will be less than what they are forecasting here.

Accuweather, Weather Channel, and Weather Underground has my area at 8-12 and ABC 7 News says 12-24 so who fucking knows.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Looks like there's gonna be a lot of mixing in central Jersey by 11am rolls along. Wonder if that means snowfall totals will be less than what they are forecasting here.

Accuweather, Weather Channel, and Weather Underground has my area at 8-12 and ABC 7 News says 12-24 so who fucking knows.

We gon' get rekt bro

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Updated the OP with more information. If I missed something or it is wrong, please correct it.

Public Schools are closed in : NYC (including CUNY), Rhode Island (some), Boston, Connecticut (some) and Philadelphia. DC will decided by 5am Tuesday.

Flights at NY, Boston, Philly and Northeastern airports: AA, United, JetBlue & others are cancelling flights and delaying others over the course of the next few days.

New York City & Southern NYS:

-Snow accumulations for NYC: 12 to 20 inches.
-Long Island will see 10-17 inches.
-Much of New York State is likely to see double-digit snowfall.
-MTA service will be suspended above ground starting tomorrow at 4am.
-LIRR and Metro-North will be “significantly impacted." Decision will be made by 4:30am on Tuesday.
-State of emergency declared from midnight on.

New Jersey:

-NJ Transit is suspending all bus service. Rail lines will operate on weekend schedule.
-Snow total: 18-24 inches.
-State of emergency declared

Philly:

-Snow total: 8-12 inches.
-Outside of the city, eastern Pennsylvania, including Allentown, Reading and Doylestown are expected to get between 12 and 20 inches.
-State of emergency declared.

Boston:

-Snow total: 10-16 inches.
-Boston Transit will run normal schedule on subway lines. Changes will probably happen to buses and subways come Tuesday, though.
-State of emergency declared.

DC:

-Snow total: 6-8 inches.
-Baltimore should see a foot of snow.
-Metro service will run on Saturday schedule on Tuesday. Buses will be delayed or detoured.

Connecticut:

-Snow total: 12-24 inches.
-Gov Malloy has banned travel statewide after 5am Tuesday.

I'd like to officially announce that this snowstorm, as per usual, is sponsored by Yuengling Lager.

logo.png

Yuengling! You probably already have it.

Shadybiz

Southwestern-ish NJ. Bracing for impact. Shovel is ready, boots are ready. Will be working from home tomorrow, I'm sure. Unfortunately, I have actual work to do, unlike 90% of the time where I can just kinda phone it in. Will be taking breaks every couple of hours to stay on top of the shoveling.

E92 M3

Crossing my fingers for this to be big. Need at least one good snow storm per Winter.

Fuck this warm weather business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom