• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November Wrasslin |OT| Ask Not The Jobber How John Cena Wins

strobogo

Banned
I want to like Alien Isolation. I'm not big on the game basically boiling down to "Open doors, then find tools to open more doors, then keep opening doors", but I like the look and atmosphere. I can not keep up a game that punishes me for killing a person because he was a civilian, when EVERY HUMAN up to that point had tried to kill me on sight. Especially when that punishment immediately ends my mission and takes me back to the last SAVE, not check point. I don't want to replay the last hour and a half because of that bullshit. So fuck that game.

Also, god damn does it annoy me when MNW says pro wrestling became sports entertainment during the Monday Night War. Vince was calling it that since the mid 80s. And fucking LOL at them acting like WCW stole Liz from them. Liz hadn't been in WWE for two and a half years. She definitely wasn't close to "stolen" from Vince.

DiscoJon

Banned
Heavy's gone as well.

WrassleGAF droppin' like flies.

Rumor is the Higher Power is going to reveal himself on Friday.
hqdefault.jpg

Speaking of CHIKARA, I see they have an iPPV coming up - anyone here following the promotion? The last one I saw was their return show earlier in the year, which didn't really do anything for me, but if the product's improved since then I might bite on the upcoming event.

Carnby

So on the Monday Night War episodes, they continually bring up when Austin broke his neck, they knew they had to find ways to keep him on TV while he couldn't perform because he was red hot and they couldn't let him cool off.

Hi Daniel Bryan *waves*

Look at the roster at the time. They were hurting for main eventers. Ken Shamrock mainevented the December PPV that year. That's how bad it was.

So on the Monday Night War episodes, they continually bring up when Austin broke his neck, they knew they had to find ways to keep him on TV while he couldn't perform because he was red hot and they couldn't let him cool off.

Hi Daniel Bryan *waves*

They fucking hate Daniel Bryan though. No way known they want to keep him around back stage if they can help it.

At the SD taping, a new stip was added to the SS main event: if Team Cena loses, everybody on the team is fired

You know, just in case you really didn't know who would win

Thank fuck Cesaro didn't join! Can't wait to see Cena at TNA.

Wyatt Ambrose is a fresh matchup and I really don't give any fucks about. There's something seriously wrong when you can't get hyped for that. The Shield Wyatts was great so you'd think Dean Bray would be the same. It's pathetic how they squander talent.

All my fucks are still patiently waiting for Dean to curb stomp Rollins into oblivion. Once that's done I can open my heart to Dean taking on other challenges. I just really really want to see Rollins get his comeuppance for betraying nice ole Dean.

Aiii

So not worth it
You're comparing a Survivor Series match made up of 9 other guys on a free ppv, to a "buy this ppv because of this match" match.

I'm just saying.

The original question is much more interesting, why is Roman Reigns on TV for sitdown interviews every once in a while so we remember he's there and Daniel Bryan isn't even mentioned once?

They don't even show him appearing on parades that make the mainstream news, they love showing off how mainstream relevant they are, but only when it's Cena handing out belts, when Bryan does it, who gives a fuck?

Seriously, it's a valid question, why is Bryan never mentioned unless it's when Brie uses the Yes-lock?

Xater

Hi Daniel Bryan *waves*

They are too busy pushing Reigns.

Hasney

Speaking of Reigns, I saw this review of WWE 2k15 from a user and it made me laugh.

WWE 2K15 is like Roman Reigns. Fun for a little while at first, but you'll eventually realize the biggest thing it can really offer is the look...and once you figure this out, you'll feel a bit disheartened.

Alucard

Banned
They should be exploiting the hell out of Bryan's extra curricular activities. Even do an interview/report on his involvement in the world series. Even if it's a 15-20 minute feature. Put that up on the Network!

Ithil

Hi Daniel Bryan *waves*

Every single episode of Monday Night War that I've seen, and I missed at least four, has had some major theme be "WWF was good at this thing, WCW was bad and 1995 WWF wa bad" with a complete lack of irony about how modern WWE is doing exactly what WCW or 1995 WWF did. From the midcarders not getting over because they're stuck in a stagnant position with no angles, to the women not getting any focus or chance to succeed, to the bad, childish writing and angles, to the completely stale product, to being completely outdated and out of touch with pop culture, and so on.

I wonder if management looks at the series and fails to notice any of the irony and parallels.

I'm just saying.

The original question is much more interesting, why is Roman Reigns on TV for sitdown interviews every once in a while so we remember he's there and Daniel Bryan isn't even mentioned once?

They don't even show him appearing on parades that make the mainstream news, they love showing off how mainstream relevant they are, but only when it's Cena handing out belts, when Bryan does it, who gives a fuck?

Seriously, it's a valid question, why is Bryan never mentioned unless it's when Brie uses the Yes-lock?

Was it Smackdown last week that had Bryan on screen during the thing about WrestleMania tickets going on sale? I think it was. He doesn't get mentioned as much certainly, but he still gets mentioned.

Roman's injury wasn't as bad. Talk of Bryan being out for a long time has been there all along even if we didn't want it. Roman is closer to a return, sadly (not because I dislike Roman, but because I want Bryan back asap).

Carnby

I'm just saying.

There was a five minute segment about it on This Week.

Aiii

So not worth it
What's This Week?

-edit: Oh wait, it's the WWE Network thing where they recap Raw and Smackdown in half an hour, right?

Ithil

I'm just saying.

WWE, so desperate for mainstream attention they'll take a Lifetime movie starring an internet cat, and even Larry the Cable Guy as guest stars, apparently determined to further their reputation of being low brow redneck entertainment. Yet when handed a super over wrestler who has a personal connection to both the Superbowl and World Series winning teams of 2014, they choose to ignore him, or only bring him up so Nikki Bella can bray out lame insults.

Why? Because WWE is run by monkeys. Instead of getting pissy because it';s something they didn't create themselves, they should be jumping on the World Series stuff for their primetime TV show. The World Series is mainstream, Larry the not Clark Gable Guy isn't.

Fox318

I'm just saying.

Reigns has the body Vince loves.

In hunter and vince's eyes the only thing Bryan has done is get a chant over.

Fox318

WWE, so desperate for mainstream attention they'll take a Lifetime movie starring an internet cat, and even Larry the Cable Guy as guest stars, apparently determined to further their reputation of being low brow redneck entertainment. Yet when handed a super over wrestler who has a personal connection to both the Superbowl and World Series winning teams of 2014, they choose to ignore him, or only bring him up so Nikki Bella can bray out lame insults.

Why? Because WWE is run by monkeys. Instead of getting pissy because it';s something they didn't create themselves, they should be jumping on the World Series stuff for their primetime TV show. The World Series is mainstream, Larry the not Clark Gable Guy isn't.
One of the downsides of a buisness being run by a family is that egos are always involved.

Survivor Series isn't going to do well for them at all.

Its clear to everyone that they don't care about the product until Royal Rumble.

Aiii

So not worth it
One of the downsides of a buisness being run by a family is that egos are always involved.

Survivor Series isn't going to do well for them at all.

Its clear to everyone that they don't care about the product until Royal Rumble.

Well, Survivor Series being free will help to sell people on the Network by the time the Rumble hits. Provided there are not streaming issues. At the very least it will lower the leap some people have to make now that they know how the Network works and have an app or something on their TV to watch the PPV's through. So in that sense no matter the card, Survivor Series should have a positive effect for their business.

Fox318

Meanwhile they push Ryback whose main method of getting over is to get a chant over.
Hey...he works out with pink stretch bands to warm up. He's tough!
Well, Survivor Series being free will help to sell people on the Network by the time the Rumble hits. Provided there are not streaming issues. At the very least it will lower the leap some people have to make now that they know how the Network works and have an app or something on their TV to watch the PPV's through. So in that sense no matter the card, Survivor Series should have a positive effect for their business.
I bet you their number doesn't go up at all.

Why else do you think Steph has been selling shares like crazy?

I feel like Bray vs. Ambrose is just a bad idea for a feud. Both of these guys need a few wins under their belt since they seem to consistently lose in big matches. They both need a big PPV win right now; especially Bray who is supposed to be coming back stronger than ever.

Maybe if they can heat up a big rivalry it will do both of them a world of good but as of right now I'm not really feeling it. Bray's attack on Ambrose was unprovoked. It's a feud for the sake of a feud.

The Dean Ambrose Survival Kit took place. Not a lot of details as to how this actually went down, although it was said that Ambrose noted that the "survival kit" was actually himself.

This sums up Dead Ambrose so far.

Aiii

So not worth it
Hey...he works out with pink stretch bands to warm up. He's tough!
I bet you their number doesn't go up at all.

Why else do you think Steph has been selling shares like crazy?

Around Royal Rumble and WM they'll definitely sell a few hundred thousand extra subs. None will stick around, but I don't doubt those will still sell well enough.

Fox318

Around Royal Rumble and WM they'll definitely sell a few hundred thousand extra subs. None will stick around, but I don't doubt those will still sell well enough.
It isn't going to matter if more people get sick of the product going into rumble.

Outside of Vince taking a pay cut where are they going to cut costs again?

Ithil

It isn't going to matter if more people get sick of the product going into rumble.

Outside of Vince taking a pay cut where are they going to cut costs again?

Cut more from the roster, cut more office staff, cut down on production yet again, cut down on travel costs (read, make talent pay for even more stuff), cut down on Network programming even further.
Vince will never take a pay cut.

Totally not my idea, but I heard a fan on a podcast suggest Daniel Bryan coming back in this role. I think it would be pretty perfect. Imagine the pop on Raw the next night. "The people's voice" or "the voice of the universe" or something.

Anything to help inject some life into this shit right now.

D-Bry's so awful on the mic, though. I would never want him in a position where he's 100% talking and no wrestling.

Ithil

Jack Swagger is awful on the mic, or the Bellas are awful on the mic. Bryan ranges from passable to good, when not stuck in "WWE Top Face Template" modelled after Cena.

Alucard

Banned
D-Bry's so awful on the mic, though. I would never want him in a position where he's 100% talking and no wrestling.

He could use the "yes/no" gimmick to poll the audience.

I wouldn't mind Cena coming out and saying "I was able to pull a few strings and help put someone in power who...blah blah blah" or even Vince coming out and saying that he's going to listen to the fans and give them what they want. In comes Bryan. That would mean he'd have to give up that position in a few months, thoughm

And yet he gets fantastic responses from the audience when he cuts promos.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not disputing that he stumbles over his words, and doesn't seem like he's just speaking his mind. He's technically bad on the mic. I think we can all agree... but he has gotten over with his mic work and the crowd really respond to it.

I don't pretend to understand it, but I think he'd be more than fine. There's something relatable about his mic work. I can't explain it, but there you go.

Top Bottom