• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November Wrasslin |OT| Ask Not The Jobber How John Cena Wins

At this point it might be Lucha. They'll get more exposure than TNA now.

Nope, it's definitely ROH - they have an average weekly viewership of 300,000, which is 10x Lucha Underground's ratings. ROH might not be the internet darling of the wrestling world any more, but in terms of financial stability, attendances and ad revenue, they're doing pretty well for themselves.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Let's talk about potential ways they can fuck up Lucha Underground because IT'S GONNA HAPPEN. Don't know how, but it's totally happening.

tumblr_ncu7maTIaO1sg99p0o1_1280.jpg

Kaladin

Is there going to be anyway to legally watch TNA online anymore?

Not that I would, but it's the only way I'd have to watch it on that channel. Not paying for a higher cable package to get that garbage.

Is there any numbers on what viewership levels ROH gets in syndication? Lucha Underground is nowhere near the #2 promotion in America.

No week to week numbers or anything, but Sinclair recently had an investor meeting and announced the average numbers for 2013;

"...across all 72 channels ROH’s Ring of Honor Wrestling program airs on, it obtained an average of 300,000 viewers a week last year, beating many local news broadcasts."

Sinclair made ROH a real company.

Yup, plus the fact that barely costs Sinclair a dime and gives them something to throw on their channels each week means the promotion's pretty secure for the future.

kiguel182

In my book ROH can't be the number 2 promotion until their production actually looks decent.

If the number 2 promotion looks like it's filmed in a gym by students than it looks bad for everyone.

At least TNA looked decent.

Kaladin

In my book ROH can't be the number 2 promotion until their production actually looks decent.

If the number 2 promotion looks like it's filmed in a gym by students than it looks bad for everyone.

At least TNA looked decent.

Have you seen ROH lately? Only thing they're missing is a big screen for their entrances.

kiguel182

Have you seen ROH lately? Only thing they're missing is a big screen for their entrances.

I watched after someone here told me it had improved and it had the same low production values as before.

5zH4Y4f.jpg

Goddamn, so...unwatchable.

That's one camera angle. I'm talking about the whole production of the show. It doesn't look or sound as good as TNA or even Lucha Underground. It's low budget.

But sure, I'll give it another shot to see if it looks less minor league.

I was at the recent event in Toronto. Their whole promotion feels really small when you're there. After they'd wrestler, the guys would sit up in the seats behind us to watch the other guys compete. The biggest screen there seemed like it was 40". They really need to invest in a big screen. I couldn't see a lot of the action out of the ring and a large screen showing what was happening would have kept me excited during some of the matches.

5zH4Y4f.jpg

No Titantron, not enough LEDs and the crowd isn't lit with lights the exact same color as the rest of the set's dominate color. Hell, there isn't even a real dominate, unified color scheme on the set to begin with, with blue lights on the logo but a red and black ring.

Shawn Michaels vs Taker at WM 25 is an amazing match. But what really makes it is that there's this bald Bubba Dudley looking dude in the front row just marking the fuck out during the entire match

somedevil

5zH4Y4f.jpg

ROH is the defacto number 2 but man the gulf between 1 and 2 in wrestling is huge. MMA has a real number 2 now.

Plus ROH would do so much better if they were getting the money EL Ray was paying for Lucha Underground. Sinclair likes them because they don't have to pay much for it.

Matt Sydal vs AJ Styles was a real good match though and that's what counts, right guys? Guys? Oh :(

That's one camera angle. I'm talking about the whole production of the show. It doesn't look or sound as good as TNA or even Lucha Underground. It's low budget.

But sure, I'll give it another shot to see if it looks less minor league.

I wouldn't bother if the low budget production is that big of a turn-off for you, it hasn't improved dramatically over the past year or two. Better cameras, new lighting rig. That's about it. I have no problem with it (other than how loud they mic their ring), but do often forget how big a role pristine production seems to play into other's enjoyment of pro-wrestling.

I wouldn't bother if the low budget production is that big of a turn-off for you, it hasn't improved dramatically over the past year or two. Better cameras, new lighting rig. That's about it. I have no problem with it (other than how loud they mic their ring), but do often forget how big a role pristine production seems to play into other's enjoyment of pro-wrestling.

I suffer from the other end of the scale - WWE's Production is TOO Pristine. Everything is super tight and set up, which makes it come across too fake. You don't see camera scramble to get to see the action, making it feel like the wrestlers have went somewhere they shouldn't. There's always a cameraman in the perfect position and that ZOOOOOOOOOOOM on impact thing they do. Ergh.

kiguel182

Matt Sydal vs AJ Styles was a real good match though and that's what counts, right guys? Guys? Oh :(

I don't need the production to be the best ever to enjoy it but yeah, ROH just doesn't cut it for me.

The number two promotion should at least be NXT levels of production. And Lucha Underground also does a good job in that department, same as TNA.

It's a TV product so I do think it needs to look good.

Finally just watched the first two episodes of Lucha Underground. That is some excellent, streamlined TV entertainment, friends.

Between LU, NXT, and ROH, one-hour wrestling shows seem to be what's Best for Business.

There's always a cameraman in the perfect position and that ZOOOOOOOOOOOM on impact thing they do. Ergh.

They're deathly afraid of accidentally showing someone blocking a kick to the head with their hand, but have no issue mic'ing the ring so loud you can hear the wrestlers calling spots. Bizarre.

The number two promotion should at least be NXT levels of production.

Yet NXT is produced by students and it definitely shows - ROH may not have the budget, but their camera crews don't awkwardly frame or outright miss spots as often as the NXT students do.

Toki767

I'm really curious to see what TNA will look like next year. Spike won't be around to bankroll stuff and I don't see Janice Carter looking to pump even more money into a failing product.

Destination America is the former Planet Green, available somewhere on the high end of your cable box, and has far less penetration than Spike, and probably less than when TNA was on Fox Sports Net.

If TNA was a can, today it was kicked down the road.

kiguel182

They're deathly afraid of accidentally showing someone blocking a kick to the head with their hand, but have no issue mic'ing the ring so loud you can hear the wrestlers calling spots. Bizarre.

Yet NXT is produced by students and it definitely shows - ROH may not have the budget, but their camera crews don't awkwardly frame or outright miss spots as often as the NXT students do.

Even with its flaws it looks and sounds miles better than ROH.

And it's a developmental space with college students recording it so at least there's an excuse for those problems (that aren't that common or troublesome).

Kaladin

NXT really benefits from being filmed in the same building every time. They can design production specs to make that building look amazing much better than any small production on the road can do.

Top Bottom