• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November Wrasslin |OT| CM Punk's Countdown to RESPECT

hogan_smirk.gif

What did people think of it? PWInsider thought it was disgusting.

There's a post on Wrestling Observer of people's "feedback". Like this gem.

I have finally realized that at the age of 45, the wrestling I grew up with here in StL is dead. After watching the appalling video of Lawler with the enhanced snore I became disgusted and reflected on the past. I remember when wrestling was where you went to forget the bullshit in your life. It was where you went on the weekend to drift into a fantasy world and forget a rough week at work, it was where you went to forget, if only for a few hours, the bills piling up, it was where you went to escape relationship problems and even where you went when you received bad news from a doctor. It was where you were able to drift into a fantasy where two giants in ability or size just had to prove who was the best and you could cheer for whomever you wanted and forget life's problems for two and a half hours every three weeks.

Those days are gone as sports entertainment is here to stay and designed to remind us, not relieve us, of the problems causing grief. We are bombarded with what McMahon, Eric and others claim is reality and they are correct. The problem is I don't want to pay somebody to re-enact life's woes to which I can't escape from for a short period of time. Why would anyone believe that the heart attack clip was necessary? Why do we need relationships drug into a storyline? Why do we need employees feuding with a boss? It's all ridiculous as wrestling booking is simple to gain success. Personalities come across in the promos and it is a competition. Line two people on a path to a match and have them battle it out for who is the best with all building towards a certain goal and God knows with all the titles flying around, you have a goal for all of them. We don't need people stealing items, hacking phones, motorcycle gangs, or women raping men in hotel rooms to gain interest in a angle. They are in competition with each other for a similar prize and that is what wrestling was in the past and sadly isn't any longer. After watching the show last night, I pray Owen Hart never gets inducted into the filing cabinet that Vince calls a Hall of Fame because I fear the footage that he may drag out and show the world.

John Brooks

Wonder if he's a wrasslegaf member.

Aiii

So not worth it
As people said, the attitude era was full of kidnapping ,rape and what not. Didn't Flair fake a heart attack in WCW for a storyline?

The guy there obviously watched all of that, but only now does he think it's gone too far?

The IWC has a tendency to overreact to everything.

I just finished watching Raw... I'm stunned that people are upset about the Lawler/Punk promo. Do these people watch wrestling?

Lawler is obviously alive and well. He obviously had no problem with the promo. It was awesomely done by Punk and made sense since they were feuding before the heart attack. If anything was bad taste it was showing the EMT footage. The Punk promo was fantastic.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
As people said, the attitude era was full of kidnapping ,rape and what not. Didn't Flair fake a heart attack in WCW for a storyline?

The guy there obviously watched all of that, but only now does he think it's gone too far?

Yeah, this is pretty tame compared to the rest of the crap we've gone through, and honestly, I think we all saw it coming a mile away.

People are just trying to find excuses to stop watching the show, but that's because of the show's low quality.

Wait, were there people here who disliked Punk's promo on Lawler? It seemed like the only highlight on Raw last night outside of the 8-man tag.

Kaladin

Nigel McGuinness is nearly done with the documentary he's working on about the final tour of his wrestling career. He's even released a preview teaser trailer which I can't link because it's only on his kickstarter update which is for backers only. This thing should be out there in the next month and it looks good. The only real thing that comes out of the preview is Nigel talking like it probably wasn't Hep C that caused him to quit wrestling, and the doc should finally reveal it all.

This was the original kickstarter page for The Last of McGuinness: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/307482471/the-last-of-mcguinness

Aiii

So not worth it
I liked AJ last night, she was showing signs of her old character again, which is good. I still have hope this ends with her screwing over Cena.

Watching the AAW show from October 27th and Arik Cannon & Jimmy Jacobs are doing an odd couple tag team champions gimmick. They do a brief "I'm the tag team champions!" bit as they make their entrance, and some fan chants "Which one's Kane?" and then they argue over who gets to be Kane, lol. Everyone wants to be Kane. The match was mostly comedy, with Jacobs infuriating Cannon by denying him beer. At one point a fan shouts "Fuck this match!" and Cannon & Jacobs both flip him off and shout "No, fuck you!" in perfect time with each other.

The rest of the show has been OK, and included a great Davey Richards vs Silas Young match that saw Davey become the number 1 contender after rolling up Young for the 3. Still got the main event to watch, and I'm really looking forward to it; Michael Elgin vs Sami Callihan for the AAW title in a match that was said to be even better than their match from PWG's BOLA this year.

That dude is a goon. This isn't even a top 10 offensive angle in the past 10-12 years.

I can think of five things John Cena has said in recent years that are worse, made even worse by the fact that Cena says and does horrible things to get shitty five year olds with white trash parents to cheer for him.

I liked it at first but I don't know now. I just don't know.

This is no time for you to break character.

I can't believe some of you found that segment on Raw inoffensive, just goes to show the kind of people in this community.
I mean seriously it's beyond insulting, that Cena and AJ storyline segment was so offensively bad it made me reconsider my watching of Raw.

Kyoufu

I can't believe some of you found that segment on Raw inoffensive, just goes to show the kind of people in this community.
I mean seriously it's beyond insulting, that Cena and AJ storyline segment was so offensively bad it made me reconsider my watching of Raw.

lol, well played.

It's snitch central in here, my man. They even tried to shut me down.
Everybody snitching on everybody for no reason. When you can't even trust the subcommunity you post in, that's when it's time to pack up and go. I will apologize to one guy though, gotta get that out of the way.

Everybody snitching on everybody for no reason. When you can't even trust the subcommunity you post in, that's when it's time to pack up and go. I will apologize to one guy though, gotta get that out of the way.

Weren't you banned for saying "cunt", which was a quote from a Botchamania vid posted earlier.

LOL. I don't think you'll last till the end of the day before your next banning.

Michael Elgin vs Sami Callihan from the AAW show was great, as expected. Very tough, hard hitting match that played off their previous encounters, with each guy having the other's movesets well scouted. I've seen a lot of Elgin matches this year and am still surprised by the dudes sheer strength, but Sami is no slouch either, hitting a huge delayed deadlift suplex on Elgin at one point. The finish was a bit over the top, but got over Callihan's toughness and never say die attitude, while Elgin looked absolutely beastly as he dismantled Sami piece by piece. Really fun match, recommended.

ihz6mUcAqZ2Fy.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Heard some backstage talk that Bootaaay really hares the direction his character is going in GWF. Can anyone confirm?

Kaladin

Am I the only one who is a bit puzzled by matches from 2000 being included in the attitude era set? I always thought it kind of dissolved in 1999 with the end of the Ministry, Austin-McMahon and the end of that run of D-X....you know, some of the cornerstones of the attitude era.

somedevil

Here is disk 3 for the attitude era dvd:

Here's disc 3

European & Intercontinental Championship Match
DLo Brown vs. Jeff Jarrett
SummerSlam 1999

Buried Alive Match for the WWE Tag Team Championship
The Rock & Mankind vs. The Undertaker & Big Show
SmackDown! – Sept 9, 1999

Stone Cold & Jim Ross vs. Triple H & Chyna
Raw – Oct 11, 1999

Boss Mans Sympathy for Big Shows Dad
Raw – Nov 18, 1999

The Wedding of Stephanie McMahon & Andrew “Test” Martin
Raw – Nov 29, 1999

The Godfather & DLo Brown vs. Too Cool
SmackDown – Jan 27, 2000

WWE Hardcore Championship Match
Hardcore Holly vs. Crash Holly
Raw – March 27, 2000

WWE European Championship Match
Chris Jericho vs. Eddie Guerrero
Raw – April 3, 2000

Steel Cage Match for the WWE Intercontinental Championship
Rikishi vs. Val Venis
Fully Loaded 2000

Tables, Ladders & Chairs Match for the World Tag Team Championship
Edge & Christian vs. The Hardy Boyz vs. The Dudley Boyz
SummerSlam 2000

Hell in A Cell Match for the WWE Championship
Kurt Angle vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. The Rock vs. Undertaker vs. Triple H vs. Rikishi
Armageddon 2000.

Striker

No, it's whoever thought of it trying to be edgy, but this is the PG world. I've come to conclusion of how deluded and boring this product us, and this segment was nothing more than senseless cheap heat. It was the same when they used Lawlers' mother's death for some cheap Michael Cole heat.

Like I said before I dont mind them using the Lawler stuff for a bit of cheap heat, wrestling was built on that kind of think and especially Lawlers who has used everything from his mothers death to being charged with statutory rape to get him some heat but using the footage of him nearly dying and receiving medical attention just rubbed me the wrong way after all the dramatic editing they did to it.

Also it was so god damn obvious that this was exactly what they where going to do that I kind of hoped they would have just not done it because it was what people where expecting.

strobogo

Banned
Some angles more offensive and tasteless than turning King's heart attack into an angle in post Attitude Era WWE:

Katie Vick

HHH's "people like you" angle with Booker T.

King's constant, outright mean spirited comments about Vickie's looks and weight even in the midst of anti-bullying campaigns and her losing 50-60 pounds.

Kurt Angle: Olympic Gold Rapist

Everything relating to Eddie after his death. From Randy saying he was in hell and spiting in his car, to the Rey/Chavo feud over Eddie's love (which also involved Benoit), to worst of all having his widow becoming the longest running top heel in the company who fucks all
the young guys at the top of the card. Also, using his drug issues in pretty much every angle he was in after coming back in 2002...after leaving due to drug issues.

King's constant racist remarks when any minority is in the ring, especially of Hispanic/Latino ancestry.

Undertaker being forced to MURDER PAUL BEARER on PPV. They retconned it, but the intent and purpose was Undertaker literally killing Paul Bearer. And then later, Edge torturing and nearly killing a completely helpless old, obese man while being the FACE in the feud.

All of the Al Wilson/Dawn Marie angle. Dawn Marie fucks Torrie's dad so she can fuck Torrie, gets Torrie to fuck her if she won't marry her dad, then marries him anyway, then he dies after fucking.

Scott Hall's feud with Austin where they have Austin tie him down to a chair, pour alcohol all over him, and leave him in a walk in cooler full of booze. The same guy whose alcohol issues were very well known and after EVERYONE shit all over WCW for using it in an angle. And this was at a time when Hall was on meds that would make him physically ill to be around alcohol.

Cena's stunningly homophobic raps. Seriously, go back to those. Everything was a "ur a fagz lol".

Eric Bischoff sexually assaulting Linda. Eric Bischoff attempting to sexually assault Stephanie. Eric Bischoff and HHH being mean to Eugene just for fun.

Steve Austin giving Stacy Keibler a stunner for not drinking beer with him. To thunderous applause. And announcer's not denouncing it at all. All while having recently been charged with spousal abuse.

Test and Steiner treating Stacy as their slave. Randy Orton breaking up with Stacy by RKOing her.

The current angle with AJ being a whore. The angle at the beginning of the year with Eve being an unrepentant whore to fuck her way to the top. Because all women are whores. Face and heel.

R-Truth: Crazy Black Man

Shelton's Big Black Mamma.

Cryme Tyme, which was clearly not a parody, especially at the beginning.

Everything Vince has done with JR, all the way up to a few months ago.

This is just a list off the top of my head. And doesn't take into account any of the insane stuff in the 90s in all 3 major companies, or on indie promotions this decade, or TNA. Or most promotions in the 80s. Wrestling has ALWAYS been full of amazingly offensive angles. Always. Just on the Jerry Lawler scale of tasteless angles, this isn't even a blip on the radar.

Like I said before I dont mind them using the Lawler stuff for a bit of cheap heat, wrestling was built on that kind of think and especially Lawlers who has used everything from his mothers death to being charged with statutory rape to get him some heat but using the footage of him nearly dying and receiving medical attention just rubbed me the wrong way after all the dramatic editing they did to it.

Also it was so god damn obvious that this was exactly what they where going to do that I kind of hoped they would have just not done it because it was what people where expecting.

Apparently it's not what people were expecting because tons of people suddenly dusted off their soap boxes and high horses with righteous indignation.

I'm baffled by this.

Top Bottom