• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November Wrasslin |OT| CM Punk's Countdown to RESPECT

The Scene of Caleb Konley & Scott Reed vs D.U.F. of Pinkie Sanchez & Arik Cannon is up now.

Yeah, I'll probably catch up to this in 2-3 years. Haha. I want to buy the DVDs chronologically, although I'm tempted to splurge on the ones where Bryan Danielson returned.

Yeah, Danielson had some great matches during that stint back on the indies. It's tough following DGUSA entirely on DVD, I gave up to be honest as it takes them far too long to produce each show and their business is more focussed on iPPVs now. They are catching up though, but 6 months between the show and DVD is too much.

Alucard

Banned
The Scene of Caleb Konley & Scott Reed vs D.U.F. of Pinkie Sanchez & Arik Cannon is up now.

Yeah, Danielson had some great matches during that stint back on the indies. It's tough following DGUSA entirely on DVD, I gave up to be honest as it takes them far too long to produce each show and their business is more focussed on iPPVs now. They are catching up though, but 6 months between the show and DVD is too much.

For a guy like me, it's pretty good. :) I'm about 2-3 years behind. I'll try to keep up with reviews on youtube, pwtorch.com, and the stuff on here. DGUSA is such a breath of fresh air when compared to most of what the WWE produces.

Kaladin

I listened to a good interview with Gabe about that recently. He sees iPPV as the future of the distribution model and DVD similar to how people buy vinyl for music, as a collector's item.

That's pretty much how I view DVDs these days. I only buy major events that aren't iPPV or VOD and shows that I have been to on DVD anymore.

somedevil

Holy Crap this basically quite a bit of davey richards matches:

2012-11-02-what-if.jpg

The Scene pick up the win over DUF after Larry Dallas low blows Sanchez and The Scene hit their finisher.
Bit of a nothing match. Not a fan of Sanchez or The Scene.

Sami Callihan vs Samuray Del Sol is on now! Expecting good things from this.

That's pretty much how I view DVDs these days. I only buy major events that aren't iPPV or VOD and shows that I have been to on DVD anymore.

Yeah, same here. I only really get compilation DVDs nowadays, or when it's the only option to view the show. I'm making my whole collection digital anyways, so I prefer downloads.

Alucard

Banned

2012-11-02-what-if.jpg

Aw, that's a bit harsh even if it's also a bit true. ROH still rocks it, but yeah, it has made people expect wrestlers to kick out of 2-3 finishers before the match is actually over. I suppose they could use some better ring psychology sometimes, but I still find all of the near-falls to be really exciting most of the time.

Pretty much, although he seems to be reigning it in a bit recently. Richards is better in PWG or NJPW and seems a lot more restrained.

I have nothing against matches with a ton of near-falls, but it has to make sense and it has to be backed up by some great storytelling, which often seems to go out of the window in the average indy near-fall-fest.

That's part of why I love Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Minoru Suzuki from the NJPW iPPV so much; 30 minutes and the only pin-fall was the one that finished the match. All storytelling, no bullshit.

Alucard

Banned
I listened to a good interview with Gabe about that recently. He sees iPPV as the future of the distribution model and DVD similar to how people buy vinyl for music, as a collector's item.

Got the link to the Sopolsky interview, and any other way of tracking DGUSA and indy happenings in general?

Which websites do you guys use for news and opinions? I typically go to pwtorch.com, even with James Caldwell's anti-TNA bias.

That was a great match between Samuray Del Sol & Sami Callihan.
Sami picks up the win with a HUGE brain buster off the top rope
. At one point Samuray Del Sol hopped off the top rope onto Callihans back and went straight into a yoshi tonic! Crazy stuff.

The Gentlemen's Club vs Swann, CIMA & ACH in a Captain's Fall match up next!

tm24

Richards is better in PWG or NJPW and seems a lot more restrained.

I have a theory. Both NJPW and PWG have bookers who can kick Davey's ass if it came down to it. So Davey acts like a normal person and not a giant douchebag.

Also, Alucard, i get all my lucha news from Cubsfan comprehensive lucha blog and his YT channel which easily has the most lucha from by any channel

Also, my top 5 feds

5. Chikara
4. DGUSA
3. CMLL
2. NJPW
1. PWG

I have a theory. Both NJPW and PWG have bookers who can kick Davey's ass if it came down to it. So Davey acts like a normal person and not a giant douchebag.

Oh, I like that theory! Great stuff.

And now I want to see Super Dragon & Davey Richards vs Jado & Gedo.

^ That's not Rey right? Is that Ricardo?

Nope, it's the masked super hero Chimera! It couldn't possibly be Ricardo...

Alucard

Banned

Also, Alucard, i get all my lucha news from Cubsfan comprehensive lucha blog and his YT channel which easily has the most lucha from by any channel

Also, my top 5 feds

5. Chikara
4. DGUSA
3. CMLL
2. NJPW
1. PWG

I'd love it if you could direct me to any PWG, NJPW, DGUSA, and/or Chikara channels too. I'm ready for my wrestling to be fun and fantastic again. WWE and TNA have soured me on the artform over the past few months.

I'm assuming a lot of the indy stuff can also be found online for download through other means.

tm24

I'd love it if you could direct me to any PWG, NJPW, DGUSA, and/or Chikara channels too. I'm ready for my wrestling to be fun and fantastic again. WWE and TNA have soured me on the artform over the past few months.

I'm assuming a lot of the indy stuff can also be found online for download through other means.
There is no PWG or DGUSA YT channels with wrestling matches. Theyre mostly hype vids. Honestly, if you want some PWG, i can send you my PWG Sells OUt vol 1 for the cost of shipping since I have it saved on my wrestling hd. Vol 3 is coming out next month for 20 dollars

As for Chikara, there is an actual Chikara channel

As for NJPW, you can find a lot of stuff on youtube and dailymotion. Just search for names and the like. Bootaaay has a handy MOTY list that he can PM you.

strobogo

Banned
Finally got WWE 13 3 days later than normal, but I just finished up the DX story. It's fun. Yes, it is the same engine with minor tweaks (which actually add quite a bit to the game, even though they are very minor), but the attention to detail in Attitude Era mode is awesome. When does the DLC start coming out?

Here's a few good channels for Japanese wrestling;

http://www.youtube.com/user/KingsRoadJapan
http://www.youtube.com/user/TitanIsBack
http://www.youtube.com/user/purofunclub

And CHIKARA, DGUSA & PWG's official youtube pages;

http://www.youtube.com/user/CHIKARAoffice
http://www.youtube.com/user/dgusadottv
http://www.youtube.com/user/PWGWrestling

And here's my list of best New Japan matches this year, I've bolded the important stuff;

NJPW

01/04 - Davey Richards & Rocky Romero (c) vs Prince Devitt & Ryusuke Taguchi
01/04 - Giant Bernard & Karl Anderson (c) vs Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima
01/04 - Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs Minoru Suzuki
01/21 - Hiroshi Tanahashi & La Sombra vs Kazuchika Okada & Volador Jr.
01/22 - La Sombra (c) vs Volador Jr.
01/29 - Hiroshi Tanahashi & Tetsuya Naito vs Kazuchika Okada & Shinsuke Nakamura
02/12 - Prince Devitt & Ryusuke Taguchi (c) vs Davey Richards & Rocky Romero
02/12 - Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs Kazuchika Okada
03/04 - Kazuchika Okada (c) vs Tetsuya Naito
03/10 - Prince Devitt (c) vs Davey Richards
04/01 - Yuji Nagata vs Minoru Suzuki
04/01 - Satoshi Kojima vs Tetsuya Naito
04/05 - Hirooki Goto vs La Sombra
04/05 - Shinsuke Nakamura vs Karl Anderson
04/05 - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Tetsuya Naito
04/08 - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Hirooki Goto - New Japan Cup FINAL
04/21 - Hiroshi Tanahashi, Hirooki Goto, Tetsuya Naito & Karl Anderson vs Kazuchika Okada, Shinsuke Nakamura, Masato Tanaka & Yujiro Takahashi
05/03 - Prince Devitt vs Low Ki
05/03 - Hiroshi Tanahashi & Tetsuya Naito vs Masato Tanaka & Yujiro Takahashi
05/03 - Kazuchika Okada (c) vs Hirooki Goto
05/04 - Hiroshi Tanahashi, Hirooki Goto & Tetsuya Naito vs Kazuchika Okada, Masato Tanaka & Yujiro Takahashi
05/05 - Hiroshi Tanahashi, Hirooki Goto, Tetsuya Naito & Karl Anderson vs Kazuchika Okada, Shinsuke Nakamura, Masato Tanaka & Yujiro Takahashi
05/06 - Yuji Nagata & Togi Makabe vs Minoru Suzuki & Taichi
05/20 - Hirooki Goto (c) vs Tomohiro Ishii
05/27 - Jushin 'Thunder' Liger vs PAC
05/27 - Low Ki vs Ryusuke Taguchi
05/27 - Prince Devitt vs KUSHIDA
06/06 - Low Ki vs Brian Kendrick
06/06 - Prince Devitt vs PAC
06/10 - PAC vs Ryusuke Taguchi
06/10 - Low Ki vs Ryusuke Taguchi - Best of the Super Jr. FINAL
06/16 - Low Ki (c) vs Ryusuke Taguchi
06/16 - Hirooki Goto & Tetsuya Naito vs Shinsuke Nakamura & Masato Tanaka
06/16 - Togi Makabe vs Minoru Suzuki
06/16 - Kazuchika Okada (c) vs Hiroshi Tanahashi
07/18 - Hiroshi Tanahashi & Tetsuya Naito vs Masato Tanaka & Yujiro Takahashi
07/19 - Hiroshi Tanahashi, Hirooki Goto & Akebono vs Shinsuke Nakamura, Masato Tanaka & Tomohiro Ishii
07/29 - Low Ki (c) vs Kota Ibushi
07/29 - Prince Devitt (c) vs Volador Jr.
08/03 - Karl Anderson vs Minoru Suzuki
08/03 - Hirooki Goto vs Shinsuke Nakamura
08/03 - Tetsuya Naito vs Kazuchika Okada
08/04 - Yuji Nagata vs Naomichi Marufuji
08/04 - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Satoshi Kojima
08/07 - Naomichi Marufuji vs Minoru Suzuki
08/10 - Satoshi Kojima vs Minoru Suzuki
08/10 - Hirooki Goto vs Kazuchika Okada
08/10 - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Yujiro Takahashi
08/11 - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Yuji Nagata
08/12 - Karl Anderson vs Kazuchika Okada
09/07 - Hirooki Goto & Karl Anderson vs Shinsuke Nakamura & Kazuchika Okada
09/07 - Kota Ibushi (c) vs KUSHIDA
09/08 - Hirooki Goto, Tetsuya Naito & Karl Anderson vs Shinsuke Nakamura, Kazuchika Okada & YOSHI-HASHI
09/09 - Yuji Nagata, Jun Akiyama & Masaaki Mochizuki vs Shisuke Nakamura, Kazuchika Okada & Yujiro Takahashi
09/17 - Jushin Liger, Tiger Mask & Mascara Dorada vs Low Ki, Jado & Averno
09/17 - Hiroshi Tanahashi, Hirooki Goto, Karl Anderson & Tama Tonga vs Shinsuke Nakamura, Kazuchika Okada, Yujiro Takahashi & Tomohiro Ishii
10/06 - Hiroshi Tanahashi & KUSHIDA vs Kazuchika Okada & Gedo
10/08 - Kota Ibushi (c) vs Low Ki
10/08 - Kazuchika Okada (c) vs Karl Anderson
10/08 - Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs Hirooki Goto
10/08 - Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs Minoru Suzuki

tm24

Stevie Richards talks about his political aspirations

Stevie brings the crazy

On Hurricane Sandy: I have my own theories and opinions on how these storms come together, especially just before one of the most important elections in our history. The timing is just too convenient. I don’t want to sound like a nutjob, but there was an electronic piece of equipment in Alaska that was activated the day before (the storm) turned to the northeast, and (that piece of equipment) on a scale of 1-10, was dialed to a 10+.

strobogo

Banned
The crowd feature actually adds a lot to making the game seem more lively. This is the first time playing as Austin has been fun since No Mercy. I love the Rumble and then the match with Road Dogg after.

Beat Road Dogg in 2 minutes and stun Billy just for fun. So you come out, crowd is insane, you're super over powered and you fucked the NAO in 2 minutes. So fun. First thing I did is run down the ramp and stun Billy on the floor just because. I even replayed it so I could stun him again.

In the intro to Attitude Era mode, there is a clip of Zack Ryder that has blurring on his head band and shirt. Did he have a WWF logo on them or something?

2nd half of DGUSA's Fearless 2012 kicks off with Jon Davis vs Akira Tozawa. This should prove to be a tough fought match.

Not entirely sold on Davis, although it's good they've turned him heel.

And Stevie Richards is crazy. I love reading about peoples bat-shit insane conspiracy theories.

Alucard

Banned
Here's a few good channels for Japanese wrestling;

http://www.youtube.com/user/KingsRoadJapan
http://www.youtube.com/user/TitanIsBack
http://www.youtube.com/user/purofunclub

And CHIKARA, DGUSA & PWG's official youtube pages;

http://www.youtube.com/user/CHIKARAoffice
http://www.youtube.com/user/dgusadottv
http://www.youtube.com/user/PWGWrestling

And here's my list of best New Japan matches this year, I've bolded the important stuff;

NJPW

01/04 - Davey Richards & Rocky Romero (c) vs Prince Devitt & Ryusuke Taguchi
01/04 - Giant Bernard & Karl Anderson (c) vs Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima
01/04 - Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs Minoru Suzuki
01/21 - Hiroshi Tanahashi & La Sombra vs Kazuchika Okada & Volador Jr.
01/22 - La Sombra (c) vs Volador Jr.
01/29 - Hiroshi Tanahashi & Tetsuya Naito vs Kazuchika Okada & Shinsuke Nakamura
02/12 - Prince Devitt & Ryusuke Taguchi (c) vs Davey Richards & Rocky Romero
02/12 - Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs Kazuchika Okada
03/04 - Kazuchika Okada (c) vs Tetsuya Naito
03/10 - Prince Devitt (c) vs Davey Richards
04/01 - Yuji Nagata vs Minoru Suzuki
04/01 - Satoshi Kojima vs Tetsuya Naito
04/05 - Hirooki Goto vs La Sombra
04/05 - Shinsuke Nakamura vs Karl Anderson
04/05 - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Tetsuya Naito
04/08 - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Hirooki Goto - New Japan Cup FINAL
04/21 - Hiroshi Tanahashi, Hirooki Goto, Tetsuya Naito & Karl Anderson vs Kazuchika Okada, Shinsuke Nakamura, Masato Tanaka & Yujiro Takahashi
05/03 - Prince Devitt vs Low Ki
05/03 - Hiroshi Tanahashi & Tetsuya Naito vs Masato Tanaka & Yujiro Takahashi
05/03 - Kazuchika Okada (c) vs Hirooki Goto
05/04 - Hiroshi Tanahashi, Hirooki Goto & Tetsuya Naito vs Kazuchika Okada, Masato Tanaka & Yujiro Takahashi
05/05 - Hiroshi Tanahashi, Hirooki Goto, Tetsuya Naito & Karl Anderson vs Kazuchika Okada, Shinsuke Nakamura, Masato Tanaka & Yujiro Takahashi
05/06 - Yuji Nagata & Togi Makabe vs Minoru Suzuki & Taichi
05/20 - Hirooki Goto (c) vs Tomohiro Ishii
05/27 - Jushin 'Thunder' Liger vs PAC
05/27 - Low Ki vs Ryusuke Taguchi
05/27 - Prince Devitt vs KUSHIDA
06/06 - Low Ki vs Brian Kendrick
06/06 - Prince Devitt vs PAC
06/10 - PAC vs Ryusuke Taguchi
06/10 - Low Ki vs Ryusuke Taguchi - Best of the Super Jr. FINAL
06/16 - Low Ki (c) vs Ryusuke Taguchi
06/16 - Hirooki Goto & Tetsuya Naito vs Shinsuke Nakamura & Masato Tanaka
06/16 - Togi Makabe vs Minoru Suzuki
06/16 - Kazuchika Okada (c) vs Hiroshi Tanahashi
07/18 - Hiroshi Tanahashi & Tetsuya Naito vs Masato Tanaka & Yujiro Takahashi
07/19 - Hiroshi Tanahashi, Hirooki Goto & Akebono vs Shinsuke Nakamura, Masato Tanaka & Tomohiro Ishii
07/29 - Low Ki (c) vs Kota Ibushi
07/29 - Prince Devitt (c) vs Volador Jr.
08/03 - Karl Anderson vs Minoru Suzuki
08/03 - Hirooki Goto vs Shinsuke Nakamura
08/03 - Tetsuya Naito vs Kazuchika Okada
08/04 - Yuji Nagata vs Naomichi Marufuji
08/04 - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Satoshi Kojima
08/07 - Naomichi Marufuji vs Minoru Suzuki
08/10 - Satoshi Kojima vs Minoru Suzuki
08/10 - Hirooki Goto vs Kazuchika Okada
08/10 - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Yujiro Takahashi
08/11 - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Yuji Nagata
08/12 - Karl Anderson vs Kazuchika Okada
09/07 - Hirooki Goto & Karl Anderson vs Shinsuke Nakamura & Kazuchika Okada
09/07 - Kota Ibushi (c) vs KUSHIDA
09/08 - Hirooki Goto, Tetsuya Naito & Karl Anderson vs Shinsuke Nakamura, Kazuchika Okada & YOSHI-HASHI
09/09 - Yuji Nagata, Jun Akiyama & Masaaki Mochizuki vs Shisuke Nakamura, Kazuchika Okada & Yujiro Takahashi
09/17 - Jushin Liger, Tiger Mask & Mascara Dorada vs Low Ki, Jado & Averno
09/17 - Hiroshi Tanahashi, Hirooki Goto, Karl Anderson & Tama Tonga vs Shinsuke Nakamura, Kazuchika Okada, Yujiro Takahashi & Tomohiro Ishii
10/06 - Hiroshi Tanahashi & KUSHIDA vs Kazuchika Okada & Gedo
10/08 - Kota Ibushi (c) vs Low Ki
10/08 - Kazuchika Okada (c) vs Karl Anderson
10/08 - Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs Hirooki Goto
10/08 - Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs Minoru Suzuki

Much appreciated. Thanks. I wish I had more time to dedicate to wrestling, but with my daughter recently only turning four months old, my attention is obviously elsewhere. I will bookmark these channels and go through your match suggestions, though. Thanks again.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Is that me? I'm hot!

BTW, when is the first show exactly? I want to make sure that I don't miss it.

It's probably going to be...if it doesn't make it this weekend (I am trying hard to make it happen) I'll shoot for immediately after Raw on Monday.

The scenario is that we have a title and no champion, so the GM, Honest Bootaaay, has made a KotR tournament. It'll be barebones at first, but we'll ramp it up quick.

strobogo

Banned
I wish people could admit to themselves that most of the people in Chikara on any given card aren't very good and if those matches were happening in WWE or TNA, people would shit all over them.

Because, seriously, over half the roster are super green guys who are still training. Chikara is awesome for the big shows like KOT, but their normal shows in the middle of nowhere in rural Pennsylvania in front of 30 people usually are not good or fun to watch.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
It's probably going to be...if it doesn't make it this weekend (I am trying hard to make it happen) I'll shoot for immediately after Raw on Monday.

The scenario is that we have a title and no champion, so the GM, Honest Bootaaay, has made a KotR tournament. It'll be barebones at first, but we'll ramp it up quick.
Can't wait!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I also did a trial run with the 20 Kanes I have so far...man, the Rumble is BORING so don't get your hopes too high. I'll top off with the final 10 tomorrow, so if you have one to submit, don't forget the GAFKANE tag on it.

McNei1y

I also did a trial run with the 20 Kanes I have so far...man, the Rumble is BORING so don't get your hopes too high. I'll top off with the final 10 tomorrow, so if you have one to submit, don't forget the GAFKANE tag on it.

I wish they had figured out a way where 7+ people in a ring worked. I want to see 10 Kanes in a ring!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
FYI if I am able, I will be posting the night's stream of the debut episode to youtube as well so you don't have to be present for it.

Aiii

So not worth it
FYI if I am able, I will be posting the night's stream of the debut episode to youtube as well so you don't have to be present for it.

That would be nice, time difference and all.

That said, it's 3 AM. Good night WrassleGAF!

That was awesome Sunflower! Monster truck, OUTTA NOWHERE!

strobogo said:
I wish people could admit to themselves that most of the people in Chikara on any given card aren't very good and if those matches were happening in WWE or TNA, people would shit all over them.

Because, seriously, over half the roster are super green guys who are still training. Chikara is awesome for the big shows like KOT, but their normal shows in the middle of nowhere in rural Pennsylvania in front of 30 people usually are not good or fun to watch.

I think there's a lot of CHIKARA wrestlers who benefit greatly from Quack's structuring of the matches, and it shows when they wrestle elsewhere - Lince Dorado or Gran Akuma for instance. But, that's not to say CHIKARA doesn't have some great wrestlers. Guys like Hallowicked, UMB & Donst are very underrated imo, and this year alone we've seen Green Ant, Mr. Touchdown & Dasher Hatfield really come into their own. Touchdown in particular, who has been very impressive since winning the YLC.

As for your last point, that's all a matter of taste. The last pair of 'normal' shows were great fun, with an excellent Touchdown vs Green Ant match.

Just came back after the Smackdown house show in Hamburg, Germany, where I got to interview William Regal and Ted DiBiase for a couple of minutes, fun stuff. Teddy once took the million dollar belt with him to show-and-tell and used it to pick up chicks and William is a crack at classic Pong.

http://t.co/MMuNT6Ji

The show itself was very unspectacular, unfortunately, seems all the hot talent is over at the RAW-tour and we got "gems" like DiBiase vs. Johnny Curtis instead. No Mysterio, no Ziggler, no "Team Hell No" and no Rhodes Scholars.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That was awesome Sunflower! Monster truck, OUTTA NOWHERE!

I figured if you're gonna drive something, it needs to fit your character. Honest Bootaaay doesn't suffer over-the-hill fools.

Top Bottom