• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November Wrasslin |OT| CM Punk's Countdown to RESPECT

smr00

Banned
every Shield needs a sword

11a-brocklesnar_480x480.jpg
So Brock = Vic Mackey?

Who is Ambrose? Shane?

Alucard

Banned
Watching Chris Hero vs. Tyler Black on DVD tonight. Woo.

Watched Davey Richards vs. Shingo last night. So good. Richards can sell when he wants to, and he's mega-talented. I don't get the hate.

untouchablegate.jpg

This is one the best PPVs I've ever seen. It had 2 match-of-the-year contenders for 2009. Danielson vs. Doi and Shingo vs. Richards are both well-worth tracking down. Dragon Kid vs. Masato Yoshino pt. 2 was also really great.

Coins

Banned
Is it obvious to anyone else that Punk will drop the title to Rock and then Dolph cashes in MITB?

Rocks not going to lose but he can't keep the title.

Is it obvious to anyone else that Punk will drop the title to Rock and then Dolph cashes in MITB?

Rocks not going to lose but he can't keep the title.

Ziggler can't cash in MITB on Punks title. But if Ziggler cashes in on Big Show and WWE title is gone with Rock. Ziggler will be the top champion.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Why can't he cash it in on Punks title?
Ziggler's briefcase is known as the World Heavyweight Championship briefcase. Cena won the WWE Championship briefcase, used it, but failed to get the WWE title. Ziggler can only cash his briefcase on the WHC.

Why can't he cash it in on Punks title?

The briefcase he has is the one for the Smackdown title which is the World Heavyweight Championship that Big Show has. Cena won the Raw one which is for the WWE Title that CM Punk has. Cena already cashed his in and lost. Vince can always pull a VINCE MCMAHON moment where he just changes the rules though

Coins

Banned
Didn't realize that. I thought he had a choice which is why he never cashed it in on Big Show or Sheamus after they've beat the shit out of each other numerous times.

tm24

Man, just got my vita. Thing is pretty awesome. Its gonna be a great week cuz of this Vita and an awesome wrestling weekend

Cena will cost Rock the title to set up a triple threat at mania or just Rock vs Cena 2.

Ether Cena or someone from Smackdown will win the rumble depending on how creative want to fudge Cena getting his 57th title shot in 12 months.

Cena will cost Rock the title to set up a triple threat at mania or just Rock vs Cena 2.

Ether Cena or someone from Smackdown will win the rumble depending on how creative want to fudge Cena getting his 57th title shot in 12 months.

If they go with the triple threat and Rock winning the title at the Rumble. Cena will win the Rumble and Punk will win the Elimination Chamber

tm24

what games did you get?

Outside of the PS+ games and what came bundled with the amazon deal, nothing yet. Gonna pick up P4G after i beat P3P that i picked up last week on the Atlus sale. Its funny, i picked up a PSP 2 weeks ago but now ima just buy Tactics Ogre, Trails in the Sky, VC2 and 3rd Bday off the store and play them off the sexy vita screen. I also need to buy Sound Shapes

If anyone wants to add me on PSN: mightytm24

I am back and forth on getting a vita.

I got a few games I can trade in that have kicking around and there is a pretty sweet vita deal at the moment until Christmas.

Already got PS+ as well which is pushing me and I need something to do on the train since its 40 mins / a hour each way.

I have to see how much spare cash I got in December.

Just finished watching a LANDMARK IN THE HISTORY OF OUR SPORT in March 2001...

WCW

The last month of WCW's existance, but none of them knew it. You can sort of tell as they're still going all out with potential long term storylines (even if half of them are re-runs of previous ideas they've ran). They really had no idea it was all going to end though. Eric Bischoff even phoned in for an announcement during the 2nd last Nitro!

Booker T has returned to help DDP in his feud with Scott Steiner, and they keep mentioning all the wrestlers that have been forced to retire due to Steiner. So, you can imagine that they might have had plans to bring them all back in 1 at a time beat Steiner up. Perhaps. The strange mock funerals for each of the wrestlers Steiner defeated always seemed slightly over done to me, though I'm not really a fan of fake injuries and deaths as wrestling stories in general.

Ric Flair is STILL feuding with Dustin & Dusty Rhodes. Jeff Jarrett has joined up with Ric Flair. It's sort of funny, but shouldn't be anywhere near the top of the show, yet it is the 2nd Main Event of 'Greed'. Ric Flair wrestling in a Hawian shirt makes this look like a Retirement match.

AJ Styles has made his debut on Nitro! I think this is the saddest part of WCW disappear. A lot of the US Junior/Cruiserweights were starting to break through from the indy scene into the undercard. Looking back I really do wonder how far they were going to go with their 'new' direction, and the new indy talent they were giving breaks too. Strangely, it makes me want to watch TNA, so that might be the answer.

There ARE some good matches between the Cruiserweights, which again makes me wonder what could have been. I can't remember if they were well used in the WWF or not when the takeover happened, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the time the Cruiserweight title made a comeback with the influx of guys. Whatever happened to Jason Jett though? He didn't appear in TNA (that I can remember) or WWF. He seemed half decent in his brief appearances in WCW.

I also realise that Billy Kidman never really got going in WCW either. He was pretty over during the 90s when he was in the Flock, and then had a small push once he left. But that stupid 'BABY' feud involving Stacy Kielber seemed to kill him off. It was good to see him return to just being a wrestlers towards the end of WCW's stint, as he could still put on decent matches.

WWF

Paul Heyman makes an appearance on Raw as commentator, instantly shooting on why Jerry Lawler isn't there!

Vince McMahon has dunked Trish Stratus into a bucket full of slop, and realigned himself with Stephanie McMahon. Linda McMahon is in a catatonic coma. William Regal has aligned with the McMahons too, and finds himself as an unofficial 'Commish'.

Kane does a 'WASSSSSSSSSUP' with Devon Dudley...

Haku has returned to the WWE to team up with Rikishi (IDIDITFORTHEROCK)

The Rock and Austin are gunning for each other, while Kurt Angle is stuck between them desperate to get his title back. Stone Cold is doing the 'protecting Rock so he is 100%' angle, so everytime Angle tries to attack The Rock, Austin appears to kick Angle all over. It's been class watching Angle switch from being the Goof to the focused wrestling machine.
HHH returns and bitches about not being in the title picture.

The Radicals (Guerrero, Beniot, Saturn, Malenko) are starting to fight and argue amongst themselves. It's not even funny how quickly Benoit and Guererro stepped up and stood out amongst the 4 that jumped early from WCW over a year ago. Saturn has sort of just been there. Malenko had his strange Lady's Man/Wifebeater gimmick for a month, obsessing over Lita.

Things are so bad that Benoit turns on Guerrero during a match against Chris Jericho for the IC Title! OH NOES!

Right to Censor are still around and have just flogged Val Venis for doing something morally wrong. They don't say what it is.

The Women's Divsion is slowly forming with Lita, Trish, Ivory and Molly Holly.

Then BUYOUT OUTTA NOWHERE!

How long did Vince McMahon know he was going to be buying WCW, as you can't really tell he knows anything when watching it all back, until that moment he appears on the screen with the biggest devil's grin you've ever seen. He's so excited he trips over himself verbally several times trying to get, you can imagine, his often dreamed speech out. I watched the Nitro first, and then the RAW. I remember watching the Nitro 'Live' at the time, which was 9pm on a Friday night on TNT here in the UK. It was way before the internet was popular or hugely accessible, with the only way you'd find out wrestling stuff would be during school hours. Yet, we all knew. We had all heard. We all had a mate who had SKY SPORTS, who's Dad would tape RAW, so we'd all be around his on the Tuesday to watch it. So we knew way before that Nitro was out, but it was still odd to watch it 'Live' at the time.

When Shane McMahon appeared in the WCW ring. Man. Watching it back again, I remember how excited I was at the time about how this could go ANYWHERE. We were all convinced that Shane McMahon would have a WCW show and Vince McMahon would have a WWF show and they'd battle it off, but with Cross Promotion Supershows every once and a while. Obviously that never really happened. Not exactly, anyway. Even now watching it back, and knowing where it all goes, I can't help but feel excited again (and strangely still expecting/wanting the WCW v WWF battle we all hoped for).

I didn't appreciate at the time the strangeness of the situation though. You had Vince McMahon on Raw and Nitro at the same time, while Paul Heyman sat front row and center providing the commentary on it all. It was like all the momentum and key players that wrestling had created over the last decade or so had all came together to see it all end. I hadn't realised until I checked wikipedia, but seemingly WM17 is what many consider the 'End of the Attitude Era', which makes sense to me. You can tell that something ended that night, obviously WCW, but something else too.

Yet, at the same time, and I'm probably only appreciating it now, something new started up - a vibrant indie scene. Ring of Honor, CZW & TNA would form up out of the left overs of the buyout. As well as the formation of CHIKARA. All those young stars that were slowly making their way into WCW had to go somewhere, and it's only now in 2012 that we're really starting to benefit from it with some of the major stars in WWE right now coming through from CHIKARA and ROH. Who's to say where we'd be if WCW was still around right now, but I'm not sure we'd have CM Punk, Daniel Bryan & Co headlining.

Indy

First real watch of CZW with shows flowing into each other. I wasn't sure at first, but I think I like it. Not too keen on the promos, as it's just pub blokes and indie metalheads shouting and swearing at each other for the most part. Also, the wrestling can (and will) just devolve into a bloodbath. It's like ECW unplugged and untamed, but there are some interesting matches and feuds amongst all the blood and torn flesh. I've spotted the Straw Hat guy from ECW more and more as the events passed through the year, which should have been a sign that ECW was on it's last legs!

Wait... is Rock going in the Elimination Chamber here or is Punk fighting for a second #1 (#2?) contender spot for the title?

#1 contender for WWE Championship. If wins Rock the title i doubt he is seen until Mania promotion time. Cena would still be "deciding" what title hes gonna go for with his Rumble win. Cena just inserts himself into the title match between Rock and Punk using the rumble win.

Alucard

Banned
Just watched Davey Richards vs. Kenny Omega from Clash of the Contenders...for the second time in two nights. What a great match. Great spots, high intensity, clean and smooth transitions...the match had just about everything.

Davey Richards. #respect

Chriswok said:
How long did Vince McMahon know he was going to be buying WCW, as you can't really tell he knows anything when watching it all back, until that moment he appears on the screen with the biggest devil's grin you've ever seen.

Vince originally almost bought it in October 2000, but Bischoff's group (Fusient Media Ventures I think it was) increased their offer above Vince's. So he was in on it for a while.

In the terms of the settlement between WWF and WCW over the Hall/Nash lawsuit, the deal gave Vince the ability to match any offer anyone made should WCW go up for sale. When Bischoff's group topped Vince's original offer, they kept going until March 2001 when TBS/TNT pulled the plug on Nitro and Thunder. Bischoff's group pulled out and it was over.

Cagey

Banned
Terrible name aside, I am enjoying the slow roll with the Ambrose-Rollins-Reigns trio, presuming it goes somewhere.

Sheamus is the best worker WWE has debut'd in years who wasn't a former indie star in the US.

Tyson Kidd

I think it's an impossible to settle debate (at this moment) between the three, which is a testament to how good Sheamus has been in the ring throughout 2012. Mic is a different story.

bangai-o

Banned
my lady friend made me turn off Fast 5 during that scene where Rock confronted Toretto at the race car strip and there were all these girls with skirts that dont cover up the bottom of their butts. Later I kept on hearing rumors that Michelle Rodriguez
came back to life, so I am a bit confused.

my lady friend made me turn off Fast 5 during that scene where Rock confronted Toretto at the race car strip and there were all these girls with skirts that dont cover up the bottom of their butts. Later I kept on hearing rumors that Michelle Rodriguez

lol wut

Sokantish

Why didn't she like that scene?

Top Bottom