• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November Wrasslin |OT| CM Punk's Countdown to RESPECT

strobogo

Banned
Here's another great one. Kane/Benoit from Badd Blood 22004 (I think this is one of the years strobogo said Kane was phoning it in. Actually, never mind, Strobogo never gave me any specific years that Kane was phoning it in, lol).

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x29lnn_bad-blood-2004-chris-benoit-vs-kane_sport?search_algo=2

Now, you may be thinking, "Well, these are all with great wrestlers. Of course, he's going to have great matches." Well, of course. That's just how it goes. Show me a 5 star Taker match that wasn't with a great wrestler like HBK or Kane :)p). A 5 star wrestling match takes two guys, and Kane more than held his own in these matches. Hell, the Taker matches were focused on Kane, arguably.

I gave you 7-8 years. That seems specific enough. From the Shane feud until the WHC run was a wash. Then from the Edge feud until The Punk/D-Bryne feud/Team Hell No. That seems pretty specific. It was precipitous slide for the entire decade of the 00s. His peak phonedness was probably 2007-2009, and 2011, where his spirit completely died after having such a strong run for the later half of 2010.

WCW Thunder 1/26/00

0121753016921900.jpg

I am sad to report due to a poor copy and not being able to find this episode on line, I will only be able to give a brief synopsis. Kevin Nash strips Sid of the title due to him pinning the wrong Harris Brother, which then led to Slick Johnson counting Sid out (which didn't even air on Nitro). Nash then awards himself the title. Then, in the main event, Sid defeated Nash and the other Harris Brother in Caged Heat to regain the title.

So, WCW Title History from October to January 26th:

10/25: Sting is stripped of title due to losing it in a non-sanctioned match against Goldberg.
11/21: Bret Hart wins title in a tournament final.
12/20: Bret vacates title due to wacky finish at Starrcade.
12/20: Bret regains title in a rematch with Goldberg.
1/16: Bret vacates title due to injury.
1/16: Chris Benoit wins title in a match with Sid.
1/17: Title vacated due to Benoit leaving the company.
1/24: Sid wins title in a match with Kevin Nash.
1/25 (aired on 1/26): Title is vacated due to Sid being stripped of the title.
1/25 (aired on 1/26): Kevin Nash awards himself the title.
1/25 (aired on 1/26): Sid regains title in a handicap Caged Heat match over Nash/Ron Harris.

I can also report to you that this show was in Vegas, featured a hardcore match between the Maestro and Norman Smiley (who was in a full white tux with a chorus line doing the big wiggle with him) that ended when Norman randomly bumped into the Demon's coffin, which awakened that guy and literally scared Norman into passing out. And Wayne Newton as an honorary member of the nWo.

Kaladin

Holy shit, bad Raw was bad.....

Average viewers:

Hour 1:

Hour 2:

Hour 3:

Second worst rating for hour 3 in the history of 3 hour Raws. Worst was 3,472,000 on October 1st.

Ithil

I enjoy the increased focus on longer matches and the lower titles that comes with 3 hours, but it really is too much, as they still have filler like constant commercials and recaps.

G-Fex

I hope it leads up to AJ being impregnated by John Cena

and then when she has the baby nothing comes out at all.

CAUSE THEY CAN'T SEE IT.

Nobody cares about Punk and nobody cares about Ryback and nobody cares about who Cena is banging.

I used to care about Punk
I really could care less about Ryback He bores me
Cena I have no words for what a joke he is

Shield has me interested. Especially the balding dude, he has some charisma.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I gave you 7-8 years. That seems specific enough. From the Shane feud until the WHC run was a wash. Then from the Edge feud until The Punk/D-Bryne feud/Team Hell No. That seems pretty specific. It was precipitous slide for the entire decade of the 00s. His peak phonedness was probably 2007-2009, and 2011, where his spirit completely died after having such a strong run for the later half of 2010.
After his Shane feud? Are you joking? I just posted a couple fantastic matches that he had in 2004, right after the Shane feud. And this is after a Taker feud in 2004 that he carried by himself, with no help whatsoever from Taker.

And in 2007 he had great feuds (and matches) with Booker and Finlay. In 2008, he had a bunch of great matches (or at least not phoned in) matches with Mysterio, as well as his ECW title run, where he managed to have some good matches with Chavo, CM Punk, and Miz/Morrison. In 2009, the man was on SD, where he had no feud going on for months, then got thrown into a MULTIPLE MONTH FEUD WITH KHALI. A multiple month feud with Khali! And he still managed to make those matches somewhat watchable.

Now, I told you when I believe he was phoning it in, and that's late 2002-mid 2003, and also most of 2011. However, to say 8 years is ridiculous. That's more than half his career. It's not fair to just say that. Give me specifics. Give me feuds, give me actual concrete dates. I know practically every match and feud the guy has been in. Give me specifics.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Hey Soul, has Kane ever bleed while unmasked?
Yes. In his segment with Austin right after the unmasking, as well as a cage match with Edge in 2005.

Here's the cage match with Edge (a damn good match in 2005, where Kane bled like a pig).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqjfXFMWyaA

And here's the segment in 2003 with Austin. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkY9d7u7ce4

EDIT: One more. This is after Kane chokeslammed Snistky off the stage, but Kane busted himself open the hard way, or as Strobogo calls it, phoning it in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AFL80x5khE

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Something I've learned:

Any OT name you propose is never used.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
GWF Polling:

What kind of match stip would you like to see happen in next week's GWF?

Top Bottom