• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November Wrasslin' |OT| Survival Season Without The G

strobogo

Banned
Mario Golf games are my favorite golf games of all time. Mario Tennis is also awesome. Birdo/Yoshi FTW. I also spend a day at King's Island playing Viruta Tennis and Marvel vs Capcom 1. I beat them both. I think they were the only arcade games I've ever finished. Felt like a BAMF after Virtua Tennis. Might have have been MvC2. IDK. I know that I beat it with War Machine as my main dude.

Bah god the third man!

BU2sjv5CYAAER2R.jpg

tm24

Everything Neo Geo was legit. Probably the most underrated console of all time even though I never had it or played it but I loved the Neo Geo arcade games.

I never played the Mario soccer or baseball games, but all version of Mario tennis and golf were awesome.

Mario Strikers Charged is pretty legit. Baseball is ok

strobogo

Banned
Digging a little deeper, it looks like he's working the comic convention circuit, hawking his wares (little cards with drawings of white wrestlers like Daniel Bryan and Hacksaw Jim Duggan).

Those comics suck. I appreciate that he can make money off of them, but I've never seen one that made me even chuckle.

Ultratech

Mario Golf games are my favorite golf games of all time. Mario Tennis is also awesome. Birdo/Yoshi FTW. I also spend a day at King's Island playing Viruta Tennis and Marvel vs Capcom 1. I beat them both. I think they were the only arcade games I've ever finished. Felt like a BAMF after Virtua Tennis. Might have have been MvC2. IDK. I know that I beat it with War Machine as my main dude.

Camelot made some awesome stuff during that time.

They need to make another Golden Sun that isn't shit.

You're a smart man, Bean breath.

No I wasn't, Entropia, you naive Canadian boy. Here's the tale of how I found myself camped out at Target to get a Gamecube:

EGM (Electronic Gaming Monthly) put out their Xbox/GC launch special issue and at the end of this magazine, they drew a line in the sand and had each editor/writer chose which of the two systems they'd want.

I don't remember how it all stacked up exactly, I want to say the majority chose Gamecube. Che Chou was my guy though. I asked for a Neo Geo Pocket Color for my birthday because he solo reviewed SNK vs. Capcom: Match of the Millennium and Card Fighter's Clash and gave them each a Silver award and that was all I needed to know. Plus he went to San Jose State. At any rate, he chose the Xbox, which threw a wrench into my plans.

I was still mourning the death of the Dreamcast and vowed that I wouldn't get a console from an unproven company again (effing SNK and Sega). Plus the Xbox controller was a dead ringer for the Dreamcast controller and that was enough for me to immediately right it off. After I read that EGM though, I was on the fence. My parents didn't want to go through the shit storm that was the N64 holiday launch window again, so they agreed to buy my gift early.

A few days after the Xbox launched I changed my mind and decided that would be my console. My Mom took me to a couple stores and it was sold out everywhere which was a shock to me,
"This piece of shit is sold out?"
I expected to waltz in and find a shitload of stock, Wii-style.

Anyway, I didn't want to go through the hassle of tracking one down so I decided to go with my original choice, Gamecube with Rogue Leader (The game EGM hyped), and this time, I'd be ready.

So I got a ride from my mom at around 5 am and saw one of my buddies in line (it would later turn out we'd be the only ones in our circle of friends to own this piece of shit). Picked up the console easily enough, and that was that.

Guess what those fuckfaces at EGM (even the ones that championed the Gamecube) couldn't stop gushing about in the very next issue?!

Halo.

The rest, my friend, is history. I barely touched the fucking thing and wound up going over to my friend's house every weekend to play Halo.

Cagey

Banned
When The Shield inevitably fights the Wyatts, #teamshield 4lyfe.

A buddy's college roommate was a huge Nintendo stan. He bought every first party game he could find. He had this sitting in the pile next to his Gamecube in the living room, so one night while pregaming we fired it up, made into a drinking game (played for a shot).

Two hours and lots of booze later, Mario Baseball got intense. Shit got real. Fights about to break out over every at-bat. I can still hear it in my head: "Striiiiiiiiiiike."

Anth0ny

No I wasn't, Entropia, you naive Canadian boy. Here's the tale of how I found myself camped out at Target to get a Gamecube:

EGM (Electronic Gaming Monthly) put out their Xbox/GC launch special issue and at the end of this magazine, they drew a line in the sand and had each editor/writer chose which of the two systems they'd want.

I don't remember how it all stacked up exactly, I want to say the majority chose Gamecube. Che Chou was my guy though. I asked for a Neo Geo Pocket Color for my birthday because he solo reviewed SNK vs. Capcom: Match of the Millennium and Card Fighter's Clash and gave them each a Silver award and that was all I needed to know. Plus he went to San Jose State. At any rate, he chose the Xbox, which threw a wrench into my plans.

I was still mourning the death of the Dreamcast and vowed that I wouldn't get a console from an unproven company again (effing SNK and Sega). Plus the Xbox controller was a dead ringer for the Dreamcast controller and that was enough for me to immediately right it off. After I read that EGM though, I was on the fence. My parents didn't want to go through the shit storm that was the N64 holiday launch window again, so they agreed to buy my gift early.

A few days after the Xbox launched I changed my mind and decided that would be my console. My Mom took me to a couple stores and it was sold out everywhere which was a shock to me,
"This piece of shit is sold out?"
I expected to waltz in and find a shitload of stock, Wii-style.

Anyway, I didn't want to go through the hassle of tracking one down so I decided to go with my original choice, Gamecube with Rogue Leader (The game EGM hyped), and this time, I'd be ready.

So I got a ride from my mom at around 5 am and saw one of my buddies in line (it would later turn out we'd be the only ones in our circle of friends to own this piece of shit). Picked up the console easily enough, and that was that.

Guess what those fuckfaces at EGM (even the ones that championed the Gamecube) couldn't stop gushing about in the very next issue?!

Halo.

The rest, my friend, is history. I barely touched the fucking thing and wound up going over to my friend's house every weekend to play Halo.

LOOOOOOOOOOOL I can so relate to this

I still have the two issues you're talking about. I remember like yesterday:

DSjwgWJ.jpg
a0PlbNC.jpg

I wasn't that angry because Melee came out soon after, and it went on to be my game of the generation. But yeah, Halo came out of fucking nowhere for me. When EGM gave it a platinum award, their perfect score (which they NEVER did back in 2001), it was pretty shocking.

I still have the two issues you're talking about. I remember like yesterday:

DSjwgWJ.jpg
a0PlbNC.jpg

I wasn't that angry because Melee came out soon after, and it went on to be my game of the generation. But yeah, Halo came out of fucking nowhere for me. When EGM gave it a platinum award, their perfect score (which they NEVER did back in 2001), it was pretty shocking.

I lost all faith and trust in EGM after that.

I never doubted Che Chou again.

strobogo

Banned
I rented an X-Box once. I've never been a fan of FPS besides Golden Eye so I didn't really care for it. I had a Gamecube, but only really had Mario and WWE games. I sold it to my aunt to give to her grandkids, which is also what I did with my Wii. I kept a PS2 until the 360 Arcade was $200, which was the only reason I picked it over PS3.

Cagey

Banned

I remember reading that Halo was given their perfect score and GOTY, but GTA 3 won the reader's choice and EGM wrote it was a "small wallop of a surprise" that readers picked GTA 3.

All I could think, at the time, was "a surprise? get the fuck outta here with that bullshit."

Anth0ny

You jobbers should've just gotten a PS2.

There's literally no way in hell another console will ever beat its library. So good.

PS2 was more expensive than Gamecube, from what I could recall. Also, it didn't have Mario/Smash Bros.

Believe it or not, I rented a PS2 back in 2002 or 2003 from Blockbuster for a weekend because I HAD to play...

1bzlEdi.jpg

Just Bring It was probably the least fun I've had with the Smackdown games that I've played (SM1 - SvR '08). Though I think it was the only Smackdown game to actually allow 8 wrestlers at once during an RR. The rest only allow 6 at a time.

To tell you guys the truth, I do regret not owning a Nintendo console (though I own a GBA, DS, and 3DS). Nintendo might be ass-backwards when it comes to hardware and online-infrastructure design, but they do make good-ass games. Can't take that away from them. I do intend on buying a Wii U whenever Bayonetta 2 comes out though, so there's that.

Booker T .gif time!

7Qpb7ZW.gif

Baseball really does suck ass though, then again, I'm not American lol.

I mean, I can see the appeal of football, and hockey and some of your other shit, but baseball just seems for pansies, I dunno.

G-Fex

Booker T .gif time!

7Qpb7ZW.gif

I mean, I can see the appeal of football, and hockey and some of your other shit, but baseball just seems for pansies, I dunno.

baseball , the best of sports, one of the most complex of sports that relies on strategy and consistent planning (but all sports do I suppose) and the pioneer of modern sport from the days of the civil war to today.

:mad:

It's a wonderful sport that I do appreciate. Like the quote in one of my baseball books says, it's only boring to boring minded people. Or something like that.

Baseball IS boring, as are baseball video games. Going to a baseball game in person is pretty cool, but watching it on TV or playing a game version sucks. I was always bummed there wasn't an NBA Jam/Blitz baseball game.

Booker T .gif time!

7Qpb7ZW.gif

I guess I could see why people find it boring. It's not as fast paced as other popular sports.

As for a Blitz style baseball game there was The Bigs a few years ago.

Top Bottom