• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD December 2012 Sales Results [Up2: Xbox 360, All Nintendo Hardware, NSMB Wii U]

People are saying the 3DS is beasting? Nintendo has not sold less handhelds in December, in the U.S, since 2001 or earlier (no data for those years). This is at best an 11-year low.

Selling this many in a month with no significant software is definitely a fine result.

Comparisons to last year are blunted by December 2011 having Mario Kart.

FWIW, I expect big increases next holidays with Pokemon, (maybe) Zelda and whatever's in the pipeline for next year.

so if the 360 was more than double the ps3, it sounds like the ps3 is really dying off. i don't know what it did in 2011, but under 700k doesn't sound very good. they're going to be in a weak position going into next gen.

PS3's doing well for beating 360 WW with a 1 year late start.

Bsigg12

wait so you guys expected wiiu to be the same hit as wii?

No, we expected it to at least break the million mark by now in the US. Go ask someone at a store like Target what the Wii U is and more likely than not, they won't know. Nintendo's marketing team is failing in the US.

test_account

XP-39C²
How crazy would it be if launch Xbox720 games played on 360 at 480p(or lower) with less fx\aa via some kind of directX step down?
Xbox 720 will use Bluray, so the Xbox 360 cant read those discs. I think the only way this is possible is if Microsoft has some new disc technology or have a own Xbox 360 version on the other side of the disc. Not going to happen.

Resilient

The Wii U bombed. End of story.

My impressions:

*Xbox 360, I bow to thee. This is brilliant performance at retail seven friggin years after initial release. Absolutely stunning. I can't wait to see how its successor performs. I mean, we're talking Nintendo in Japan level of domination here.
*3DS is beasting. I cannot believe how well it recovered from the initial stumble. With a great lineup for this year, I want to see how the 3DS does. It also has one of the only two exclusives in the chart, so clearly, it has a healthy software ecosystem as well.
*Wii U is a bomb. I mean, holy shit. We're looking at a Gamecube level flop right here unless Nintendo pulls a 3DS/PS3 and course corrects. Let's see what they have planned at E3 this year. It will need a miracle to recover, and I'm not sure Nintendo has the kind of persistence Sony exhibited with the PS3 and PSP to bring this thing back on track.
*Speaking of Sony: Lol at the lack of Sony numbers on that chart.

You're not sure they have what it takes to steer it back on course but you commend them for doing so with the 3DS? What?

kswiston

Really surprised at all the comments saying those 3DS sales are great.

A) Nintendo Handhelds always post big holiday numbers

B) 3DS is down 300k+ units from last year, which was its December. What console sells less units in their second (or third if they had a November launch) holiday when compared to the previous year?

Those 3DS numbers aren't great just because all the (ancient) home consoles are doing poorly except for the 360, the Wii U is floundering, and the Vita is basically stillborn.

Azure J

Out of curiosity, does this make people who were interested in buying the Wii U, that just hasn't yet, LESS interested in buying one?

Nope here, but Nintendo could still stand to whet some appetites with teasers trailers, announcements... Just anything to say that stuff is coming beyond what we've known about for almost 2 years now.

the ds sold absolutely terrible after it launched, and nintendo turned it into the best-selling handheld ever. i mean, the only thing that really comes close to how poor the ds did after launch is the vita. the 3ds doesn't compare to what they did with that machine.

how they handled their handhelds makes me think they do have some sort of contingency plan. they've been pretty willing to bundle things and price drop things within the first year if sales are going badly.

There are two things about this:

a) Nintendo has always been more competent at handling its handhelds than it has been its consoles. See also: Gamecube vs Gameboy Advance, DS vs Wii.

b) I don't remember the DS doing as badly as you say (although I may be remembering wrong, and please feel free to correct me if I am); I remember it was doing fine, and was being outsold on a month by month basis by the PSP for a while, but it never bombed. The worst it was doing was 3DS level.
I also disagree with your assertion that the DS was doing worse than the 3DS, but like I said, my memory on the DS's launch is colored, so please feel free to correct me.

B) 3DS is down 300k+ units from last year, which was its December. What console sells less units in their second (or third if they had a November launch) holiday when compared to the previous year?

Those 3DS numbers aren't great just because all the home consoles are doing poorly except the 360, and the Vita is basically stillborn.

So remember last year 3DS had Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land; what did it have this year?

Kusagari

Enough to outsell the Wii U even though it was twice as expensive......

Why are you acting like I'm defending the Wii U?

I'm saying that PS3 had jackshit, outside of playing blu-rays, at launch. In terms of games it arguably had less than Wii U.

Wii U numbers are a disaster in comparison.

Etzer

*adjusts monocle*

Oh, my.

*OK, Wii U's results don't surprise me one bit. Awful marketing, brand confusion among consumers, blah blah blah.
My Wii U Deluxe arrives tomorrow. :p

*Why is the DSi still a thing? Isn't it around the same price of an original 3DS? And the 3DS comes with Mario, right?

*That top 10... I really should put more effort into learning Japanese.

NO ONE asked about Wii U outside of it's launch. I actually had a handful of them returned, one guy said he couldn't find any buyers on eBay.
lol I saw a lot of auctions this past week for just the Gamepad or just the console. People really have no idea what the Wii U is.

Out of curiosity, does this make people who were interested in buying the Wii U, that just hasn't yet, LESS interested in buying one?
I own a Vita.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Well, that all seems good to hear. It always makes me feel a bit weird inside when people want something, hear its not selling,a nd suddenly decide they don't want it anymore. Total front running doesn't make sense.

I remember a time when people used to buy consoles for content alone. No any other agenda. Sigh.

omonimo

Banned
so if the 360 was more than double the ps3, it sounds like the ps3 is really dying off. i don't know what it did in 2011, but under 700k doesn't sound very good. they're going to be in a weak position going into next gen.

I'm not that sure to understand what it has do this december NPD with next gen trend , really. :|

liger05

Those 3DS numbers aren't great just because all the (ancient) home consoles are doing poorly except the 360, the Wii U is floundering, and the Vita is basically stillborn.

Last December they had Mario Kart.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Those 3DS numbers aren't great just because all the home consoles are doing poorly except the 360, and the Vita is basically stillborn.

Almost no new games for it in a market that is completely saturated with iOS, smartphones, and tablets.

Those sales are great. People need to stop comparing it to previous generations of handhelds because it's a totally different marketplace now.

I just think lots of the Wii crowd (that would have maybe bought a WiiU) have moved onto mobile and/or don't ever care about video game systems ever again.

guek

Banned
Well, that all seems good to hear. It always makes me feel a bit weird inside when people want something, hear its not selling,a nd suddenly decide they don't want it anymore. Total front running doesn't make sense.

I remember a time when people used to buy consoles for content alone. No any other agenda. Sigh.

Don't confuse gaf with the real world :p

360 had halo 4, ps3 had wonderbook and sony smash bros last year was terrible for ps3 exclucives

I wouldn't call these numbers mediocre

They aren't great, they aren't terrible. I thought mediocre was pretty apt. I mean they generally sell a lot more handhelds than this in December.

Almost no new games for it in a market that is completely saturated with iOS, smartphones, and tablets.

Those sales are great. People need to stop comparing it to previous generations of handhelds because it's a totally different marketplace now.
But this is really true now.

The one that doesn't have any significant software released in the second December, as opposed to a one-two punch of some of the highest selling titles the manufacturer has to offer the year before.

This figure helps to frame general public interest in the 3DS in its own right, and it's pretty clear to me that it's greater now than it was last year.

NBtoaster

It's a bit more than 25% down from last year (936k).

liger05

truesay. The number is fantastic when people are buying Ipad mini's, kindle fire's and nexus tablets for cheap for xmas presents.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
uhh....yes, a lot of things could have.

I could care less about the "new" super mario brothers series

Maybe you don't care, but this series is much more popular than Zelda or Metroid or Star Fox or whatever series you would have prefered at launch.

This is now how businesses operate. The goal is to continually make new profit. If the market has changed and Nintendo didn't catch that it is still Nintendo's fault and we can still compare them.

Edit: Well I know I'm not going to but a Wii U anytime soon with the eventual price cut that's going to happen with the current sales trajectory. Same thing happened with Vita (although I missed the Amazon sale).

~ZIO~

Neo Member
I highly doubt more software would have helped the Wii U, as well. I mean, Wii U got Black Ops 2 and is as good as PS3/360, and that didn't draw a crowd? Concerning. They need to do something to change the public perception of them alongside adding more desirable software. But are they willing to do it is an entirely different question. They may be fine with how they are so long as they draw profit from it all.

Nintendo needs to kill the Wii immediately. It doesn't matter if it's still profitable if it's starving the Wii U of oxygen.

I mean, look at this. That is a fucking terrible idea. There is no way you want to present your dying/dead console (at least from a game development perspective) as an option, and a cheaper on to boot, against your new baby. This isn't the iPhone.

Kill the Wii, drop the price by $50 on both units, add Nintendo Land to the Basic and swap it out for New Super Mario Bros. U on the Premium and sit back and watch the sales rise.

Top Bottom