• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD December 2012 Sales Results [Up2: Xbox 360, All Nintendo Hardware, NSMB Wii U]

TheNatural

My Member!
Anyone have the Gamecube's original launch numbers? I know the market has expanded quite a lot in 10 plus years, but did the Gamecube from launch November 2001 to start of 2002 outsell what the Wii U did? Just wondering.

mhi

Easy. Nintendo's market (majority who bought Wii) has moved to the mobile devices, (phones, ipads)

Make no mistake though, this also shrinks the PS and Xbox market as well.

Pachinko

Those wii u numbers are higher than most home console launches , something else to consider- just how many got shipped by Christmas ? We also know nearly 700k sold in Japan so far , that's 1.6 million with North America. How well did it sell in the UK and Europe ? At least 400k?

Gotta love how this forum will shit on something that sells 2 million units in barely 2 months. The real test is next holiday , price drops , new Xbox , possibly new playstation and a healthy software lineup on the wii u should make for interesting times .

Kusagari

That is an OK number. Its selling not too far off from the Wii... which did very well incase you never knew. NeoGaf is just a bunch of haters right now that are still butt-hurt that Nintendo didnt give them the hardware beast they wanted. I swear world is a bunch of cynical armchair quarterbacks these days.

Wii U, a console available in every single store, not being too far off from a console that was sold out everywhere for months means it's a good number?

Wow! Great analysis there.

liger05

I like Iwata but something needs to be done. The 3DS launch was botched and we now have another awful launch. Why is this happening again? Something needs to give as I dont understand how they came to the 5 mil forecast when there are no games being released to help drive HW sales.

ascii42

Well, consider the following situation.

Your kid is 7 years old and has asked for a game console for Christmas.

The Wii is $100 and has tons of cheap games, and is known as kid friendly.

Why not pick one up?

Yeah, seriously. The PS2 was still selling around 100k per month when NPD stopped tracking it a couple years ago.

Sadist

It's going to be rough for new console releases over the next few years. Wii U's performance must be a warning sign for MS and Sony alike.

I don't believe Iwata will be in trouble (GAF being GAF with all the fire him talk) but he'll have a lot to explain towards the investors. I wonder what he will do to bring any momentum regarding the console. A pricedrop would be too soon (no knowledge about about the nextbox price) but it's going to be interesting.

PhantomR

Banned
Wouldn't say they had a good holiday. Wii down massively, DS down and the second year 3DS also down.

Really? Come on, son. You saw that 360 dip too, right?

For all intents and purposes this was a pretty good holiday season for Nintendo...especially from a 3DS standpoint.

I don't know. 360 selling this many units in its seventh year might mean a slower-than-expected transition.

The incentives are only going to get better for these old machines, more discounts, rebates, financing programs, subscription offers, sales, etc, etc, etc. So sales don't tell the whole story when it comes to whether new hardware is incoming, imo.

These companies know that overall the industry is trending downward and games aren't selling like they used to, even mainstays like COD are down.

Time invested in the old hardware is waning for much of the install base, they need new devices for new monetisation opportunities and to stave off new and rising competitors to the living room and other multi-media devices.

New hardware is a must, I know I'm sure as hell ready.

daxgame

Well, did the low Gamecube sales do any good for the owners?

heh, I think Nintendo made quite some money the gen after. They can spend a lot on WiiU, the real problem is that they need some kind of Wii Fit level of sales by a game to bring hw sales

Shion

I don't get "joy", but I am also not sad it happened. Wii U has a tremendous amount of problems, and I've felt like the DS and the Wii were awful directions for Nintendo and the company really changed what I loved about them during this time.

I feel sort of like if Nintendo keeps underperforming, that maybe they'll start getting on their toes again and developing games like they did in the Gamecube gen or the SNES gen, with refinements of ideas that made the entire gaming environment better but with significantly fewer gimmicks and a focus more on the very people that brought them where they are instead of casuals.

In the end, I sort of feel like a readjustment to reality for Nintendo will help them be great again, and this does make me happy.
di-YDT1.gif

NSMBU and Nintendo Land not pushing consoles is really bad for Nintendo. Not sure WiiFit U is different enough to do it either. They seem to have lost touch with the casual market other than with Animal Crossing on 3DS.

65% attach rate is absolutely nothing to be sniffing at for NSMBU.

It's clearly pushing consoles, it's just that nothing else is.

Durante

That is an OK number. Its selling not too far off from the Wii... which did very well incase you never knew. NeoGaf is just a bunch of haters right now that are still butt-hurt that Nintendo didnt give them the hardware beast they wanted. I swear world is a bunch of cynical armchair quarterbacks these days.
If the original Wii had enough supply it would easily have sold over a million in its first December in the US. Comparing to a heavily supply-constrained number is meaningless if you want to judge the demand for a platform.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Out of curiosity, does this make people who were interested in buying the Wii U, that just hasn't yet, LESS interested in buying one?

Easy. Nintendo's market (majority who bought Wii) has moved to the mobile devices, (phones, ipads)

Make no mistake though, this also shrinks the PS and Xbox market as well.

The WiiU is doing terribly even in Japan (a place where the 3DS is just dominating) though.

liger05

So is it safe to assume if Nintendo would of actually went with 3DS deals for Black Friday then November wouldnt of been so bad and they would of actually sold a good number?

The Wii U bombed. End of story.

My impressions:

*Xbox 360, I bow to thee. This is brilliant performance at retail seven friggin years after initial release. Absolutely stunning. I can't wait to see how its successor performs. I mean, we're talking Nintendo in Japan level of domination here.
*3DS is beasting. I cannot believe how well it recovered from the initial stumble. With a great lineup for this year, I want to see how the 3DS does. It also has one of the only two exclusives in the chart, so clearly, it has a healthy software ecosystem as well.
*Wii U is a bomb. I mean, holy shit. We're looking at a Gamecube level flop right here unless Nintendo pulls a 3DS/PS3 and course corrects. Let's see what they have planned at E3 this year. It will need a miracle to recover, and I'm not sure Nintendo has the kind of persistence Sony exhibited with the PS3 and PSP to bring this thing back on track.
*Speaking of Sony: Lol at the lack of Sony numbers on that chart.

AniHawk

the 3ds next year will have animal crossing, pokemon, mario kart, and two marios. if it doesn't start doing regular 200k-300k (or more) each month after that, nintendo really needs to lower the price of everything (of course they should be doing that anyway).

the wii u will be under 200k next month. it will be under 100k next year at multiple points. i'm guessing under 100k will start in february, but it could also be january.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Really? Come on, son. You saw that 360 dip too, right?

For all intents and purposes this was a pretty good holiday season for Nintendo...especially from a 3DS standpoint.

360 dropping in its 8th December doesn't seem as bad as the 3DS in its second.

edit: I'm not saying that 3DS did badly, obviously it did fine. I just doubt Nintendo are popping any champagne bottles.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What's happening with Wii U will certainly put quite some pressure on Iwata, but I don't think he risks not being the President of Nintendo in the next future. Not at all. But yeah, pressure indeed.

Generally you can mess up for a long, long time before you get ousted.

Like, a really long time.

Now, going from $80 billion to $15 billion in market valuation is pretty terrible, but I still feel he has a long way to go before he's seriously in trouble.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Yeah, seriously. The PS2 was still selling around 100k per month when NPD stopped tracking it a couple years ago.
No. They're still tracking. They're still tracking "other" that came before PS2 even. It's microscopic, but they track it.

They did stop reporting them to press and the public. :)

TheNatural

My Member!
Well, consider the following situation.

Your kid is 7 years old and has asked for a game console for Christmas.

The Wii is $100 and has tons of cheap games, and is known as kid friendly.

Why not pick one up?

Working at retail the NPD numbers feel exactly how it went in my store back there.

The Skylanders bundle was big at like $129 for Wii. 360 sold a ton, so did 3DS. 3DS's were on sale for way lower than MSRP every week. $129 for a regular one, $150 for an XL, and $180 for XL + Mario Kart were common big selling bundles.

360 sold a shitload of games, Black Ops II was sold out almost all the time. NO ONE asked about Wii U outside of it's launch. I actually had a handful of them returned, one guy said he couldn't find any buyers on eBay.

It all makes sense.

Anth0ny

fuck

PS3 was $599, far more supply constrained and didn't launch with Mario. How in the world did it outsell Wii U in its second month?

hammster

Archbishop of Canterburny
Nintendo have enough system sellers in their locker to create some momentum with Wii U. I don't doubt that. But I wish they'd hurry up and do it.

AzaK

I do suspect the next gen consoles might have a rough launch as well (of course, the supply might be so low that it isn't an issue)

So hard to tell.

They will be a year later (Economy can change for better or worse)
They will be marketted to high heaven
They will be noticeable enhancements to current gen versions
AAA Third parties will actually support them

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
fuck

PS3 was $599, far more supply constrained and didn't launch with Mario. How in the world did it outsell Wii U in its second month?

Well, I would say there was actually a lot of faith that Sony would have a giant line-up of third party games eventually.

And I mean, they did eventually deliver that.

Striek

People are saying the 3DS is beasting? Nintendo has not sold less handhelds in December, in the U.S, since 2001 or earlier (no data for those years). This is at best an 11-year low.

Top Bottom