• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD December 2012 Sales Results [Up2: Xbox 360, All Nintendo Hardware, NSMB Wii U]

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
460000? WOW. That's awful.

I kind of echo the other sentiments in this thread. While I do love the system, I think it is a good thing sales aren't great because Nintendo needs to wake up and see what the general public wants.

Out of curiosity, does this make people who were interested in buying the Wii U, that just hasn't yet, LESS interested in buying one?

More-so in my case. I ended up getting and loving the GCN long after it bombed in spite of the half-assed Mario and Zelda titles that released on it.

Half-assed is a little more mean-spirited than I intended. Zelda WW in particular was a stunning game, but very obviously needing another six months to a year in the oven.

You can blame me for the disaster anyway. WiiU is just continuing a long tradition of being another Nintendo console that "bombs" because I didn't buy it at launch.

AniHawk

*Wii U is a bomb. I mean, holy shit. We're looking at a Gamecube level flop right here unless Nintendo pulls a 3DS/PS3 and course corrects. Let's see what they have planned at E3 this year. It will need a miracle to recover, and I'm not sure Nintendo has the kind of persistence Sony exhibited with the PS3 and PSP to bring this thing back on track.

the ds sold absolutely terrible after it launched, and nintendo turned it into the best-selling handheld ever. i mean, the only thing that really comes close to how poor the ds did after launch is the vita. the 3ds doesn't compare to what they did with that machine.

how they handled their handhelds makes me think they do have some sort of contingency plan. they've been pretty willing to bundle things and price drop things within the first year if sales are going badly.

Miles X

Call me crazy but I think they can ship 5.5m end of March and hit their target. That includes stock on shelves, warehouses ect. So they need like 4.5m sell through?

US will probably be 1.5m~ Japan 1m, Europe ...

Ok maybe they'll miss it by a mill.

CDX

Wii Dec 2006 - 604,200
PS3 Dec 2006 - 490,700
Wii U Dec 2012 - 460,000
360 Dec 2005 - 281,441

And here are PS2's numbers
PS2 October 2000 (Launch) - 391 245
PS2 November 2000 (second month) - 187 554
PS2 December 2000 (first December) -522 239

In perspective the Wii U is not THAT terrible. BUT not that great either.

At least it's doing (somewhat) better numbers in Japan

65% attach rate is absolutely nothing to be sniffing at for NSMBU.

It's clearly pushing consoles, it's just that nothing else is.

I think we went through this last month or maybe it was in one of the UK threads.

Here are a couple of other games with ~50% attach ratios at launch, Halo (xbox), COD 2(Xbox 360), Zelda (Wii, a little lower than the others here), Uncharted (Vita)

It's not uncommon for the biggest launch window game to have a huge attach rate

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
People are saying the 3DS is beasting? Nintendo has not sold less handhelds in December, in the U.S, since 2001 or earlier (no data for those years). This is at best an 11-year low.

Meh. People need to stop comparing this thing to the GBA and the DS, both of which thrived in markets that weren't saturated by iOS and smartphones.

Totally different ballgame today. I'm actually quite stunned 3DS is selling so well.

DSN2K

Nintendo have enough system sellers in their locker to create some momentum with Wii U. I don't doubt that. But I wish they'd hurry up and do it.

it's a long wait till e3...there going to be some horrible numbers over the next few months without some dramatic change in events.

Gorillaz

I fear for MS and Sony next gen. Especially with how the world economy is, people might not even give the 2 a chance unless they come in at ridiculously low prices at launch.

Bsigg12

How do you know how much consoles nintendo put out though?what if 460k was all they put out?

Seeing stacks and stacks of premium bundles in literally any store that carries them here in Colorado to me is a sign that it is no where near the novelty the Wii was in 2006. They definitely were more prepared with stock this time around, the system is just poorly branded and marketed.

liger05

People are saying the 3DS is beasting? Nintendo has not sold less handhelds in December, in the U.S, since 2001 or earlier (no data for those years). This is at best an 11-year low.

Look at the November number and then the December number with no new releases. The December number is very good.

Considering the holiday games on 2012 and sales in Japan, the 3DS is totally killing it right now. Apparently this year is looking much better.

VALIS

Barring unforeseen surprises and events, and of course that's quite possible, but if the next Xbox and Playstation are about what people assume they will be, you can hand the "Xbox 3" the next gen sales crown right now in North America. They have become the dominant video game brand in NA by a sizable degree. The WiiU is off to a sluggish start fpr various reasons and the PS4 will have to do something very new and exciting to usurp their position. MS is in an enviable position of just not having to fuck things up to reap big rewards next gen (and they could, of course).

Wiz

In a market dominated by smartphones, 3DS is definitely beasting.

~ZIO~

Neo Member
fuck

PS3 was $599, far more supply constrained and didn't launch with Mario. How in the world did it outsell Wii U in its second month?

The brand was seen in a much brighter light than it is viewed today. You could slap "Playstation" on just about anything and it would sell. And that's the mindset Sony took when pricing the PS3 and stating that people will buy it anyway. And look, it did . . . for a while. Until folks realized the PS3 isn't what they had hoped. But luckily for Sony, they turned it around and today PS3 is not the joke it once was.

Ouch at the Wii U.
Of course, there are so many horrible things wrong with the console and so few games they really deserve to do terrible.

Decent sales to usher in the year of the 3DS, 2013.

see5harp

Come on man. There was a post today showing how dominant the iOS and Android versions of Minecraft were in the holiday period. Selling a million 3DS is a very successful in today's environment for dedicated gaming handhelds.

How do you know how much consoles nintendo put out though?what if 460k was all they put out?

People have eyes. They can see units in the stores, on websites, etc. If they were selling out all they had, ebay and amazon sales wouldn't be pushing them at retail prices. They'd be jacking them up.

Katsuragi

Pretty disappointing Wii U numbers. Well, at least we won't have to endure any bar diagrams during Nintendo's next E3 conference.

Seeing stacks and stacks of premium bundles in literally any store that carries them here in Colorado to me is a sign that it is no where near the novelty the Wii was in 2006. They definitely were more prepared with stock this time around, the system is just poorly branded and marketed.

wait so you guys expected wiiu to be the same hit as wii?

People need to stop blaming this on the economy. Face Nintendo had a disastrous launch in terms of marketing, future lineup to inspire confidence in the platform, and pricing.

fuck

PS3 was $599, far more supply constrained and didn't launch with Mario. How in the world did it outsell Wii U in its second month?

It had things consumers actually wanted?

What incentive is there for a Wii owner to upgrade? new Super Mario bros? They already have that game...

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
How crazy would it be if launch Xbox720 games played on 360 at 480p(or lower) with less fx\aa via some kind of directX step down?

Wow, that's pretty bad for the Wii U. PS3 launch level sales isn't on its own (after all, the PS3 survived and is now fine), but in combination with very little promise of a large, diverse game library makes for some serious gloom and doom.

They need to sort out their marketing immediately, starting with solving the "it's a tablet for the Wii" issue, and then announce some key games - and not just Nintendo ones.

AniHawk

so if the 360 was more than double the ps3, it sounds like the ps3 is really dying off. i don't know what it did in 2011, but under 700k doesn't sound very good. they're going to be in a weak position going into next gen.

Out of curiosity, does this make people who were interested in buying the Wii U, that just hasn't yet, LESS interested in buying one?

Sales of a system dont mean anything to me as far as jumping in, I wouldn't have bought a Vita if that was the case :p

I'm in on WiiU when 3d Mario arrives

Top Bottom