• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Hardware Sales Results for February 2007

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
badnewsforsony.jpg

(notice the date)

Evlar

Banned
Nameless said:
I could see your point, but have you see 360's software numbers. Hardware numbers matter least for Microsoft because their base buys a lot of games. The original Xbox had a steady stream of content despite getting trounced by Sony and being in a perpetual dogfight with the Gamecube--the GC on the other hand didn't.
I agree that 360 software development is in no danger for the time being... in fact it may even accelerate. The 360's Game of the Month Club looks like perhaps the surest way to make a buck in the US market right now.

Unless the name of your company happens to be Nintendo, of course.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
The official Sony response:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3158048

Sony: "According to NPD data, February 2007 showed a 67% increase in retail dollars generated year-over-year for SCEA in the US with total sales of $377 million. With this increase, the PlayStation brand remained the number-one revenue driver for the month in the industry owning 38.5% of total sales. On the retail front, SCEA continues to work hard to stabilize supply for PS3 and PS2 across North America. A short month was reflected in PS3 and PSP sales figures over January, while PS2 continues to perform above expectations, down just 4.3% from last year. PS2 dominated software sales for the industry, generating $111 million in revenue.

Coming off the heels of GDC, there is much enthusiasm for upcoming games and services for PS3. With the announcement of 'HOME' and 'LittleBigPlanet' and the recent release of the much-anticipated 'MotorStorm,' consumer enthusiasm for PS3 continues to build. Excitement for PS2 also remains incredibility strong, helped by the release of 'God of War II' earlier this week, which sold-in more than 1 million units at retail. It was also announced recently that the 'God of War' franchise would soon be heading to PSP."

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

mood

Killdozer said:
So then X360 launch = failure as epic as PS3? or just wait and see?

If you remember the 360 numbers were considered a failire, but because of supply constraints. Something the PS3 is not facing right now.

Killdozer said:
Doesn't matter now that all of the competitors are in the field now. That's the advantage of being out there earlier. MS was running practice laps on the next-gen track before the race started.

GreekWolf

GitarooMan said:
Big question: Will Wii ever catch 360 in the US?
I can almost guarantee you (based on past interviews) that Microsoft doesn't mind coming into second place in NA to Nintendo.

The entire focus of this generation is to finish ahead of Sony. That's the company which prompted them to enter the console market in the first place, and that is who they have their bullseye targeted on.

I can see this scenario playing out over the next decade -

Sony loses the video game market, but ultimately accomplishes their primary goal of ushering in a new video format in Blu-Ray. I'm starting to believe that this was their intent from the very beginning, even back in 1995. It's quite possible that once Blu-Ray wins the format wars and becomes the world-wide standard, Sony will promptly leave the game industry just as quickly as they entered. They'll have made their fortune and won't be forced to endure additional high-risk ventures against Microsoft and Nintendo.

Link

The Autumn Wind
AltogetherAndrews said:
Actually, I was talking about the future of the industry there. You really need to read these things through before you quote and respond.

And how in the hell is anything I say "stealth"?

I DO NOT WANT NEITHER MS NOR NINTENDO LEADING THE INDUSTRY FOR THEY ARE BAD NEWS.

There, is that clear enough?
Yeah, but Sony leading and then charging us $600 is a-ok, right?

LJ11

Souldriver said:
I'm doomthinking here, but man, I really hope Sony pulls through. I doubt that MS alone would be better for gamers.

And more realistically speaking: drop the damn price, Sony!!

Don't you think they would have already dropped the price if they could?

Bebpo

Banned
If I were Sony right now, here what I would do:

Announce a shitload of new PS2 games for the next 2-3 years that are major titles like God of War. Put everything into driving the PS2 to be the console market leader for the next 2-3 years. Advertising, game publishing, you name it. Make PS2 the #1 system in the world even 3 years from now.

During that time period, kick out a few PS3 games each year to keep the PS3 fanbase from at least selling the system, and then 2-3 years down the line re-"launch" the PS3 at $299 with a ton of games and start dropping the PS2 support.

GhaleonEB

Killdozer said:
The 360 launch was actually quite a bit worse than the PS3. The PS3 pulled a ways ahead in December, and is now losing ground. The difference is the 360 was supply constrained through March, the PS3 is not, and it's selling very, very poorly. In fact, this month it sold worse than the PS2 did in its entire lifespan so far.

Yes it's early, yes things can change, but it's also a really bad start and an even worse (two-month) trend for Sony.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
schuelma said:

Sony: "According to NPD data, February 2007 showed a 67% increase in retail dollars generated year-over-year for SCEA in the US with total sales of $377 million. With this increase, the PlayStation brand remained the number-one revenue driver for the month in the industry owning 38.5% of total sales. On the retail front, SCEA continues to work hard to stabilize supply for PS3 and PS2 across North America. A short month was reflected in PS3 and PSP sales figures over January, while PS2 continues to perform above expectations, down just 4.3% from last year. PS2 dominated software sales for the industry, generating $111 million in revenue.

Coming off the heels of GDC, there is much enthusiasm for upcoming games and services for PS3. With the announcement of 'HOME' and 'LittleBigPlanet' and the recent release of the much-anticipated 'MotorStorm,' consumer enthusiasm for PS3 continues to build. Excitement for PS2 also remains incredibility strong, helped by the release of 'God of War II' earlier this week, which sold-in more than 1 million units at retail. It was also announced recently that the 'God of War' franchise would soon be heading to PSP."

You got to be kidding.

Nameless

I like Sony and I'm excited to buy a PS3, but I don't see a drastic change because of an online interface due out in half a year.

Saitou

Banned
schuelma said:

Saitou said:
Chris_Rock_178772m.jpg

they spinnin nigga they spinnin

I just had to repeat it :(

Xisiqomelir

AltogetherAndrews said:
The low numbers of the Ps3 don't bother me half as much as the high numbers for Wii. It's a price point thing, but it's still disturbing that a system like that could be this appealing to people. If this trend continues, say goodbye to advancements in AV and physics technologies, and welcome back Nintendo of old. Sony pushed the envelope and pushed to the market a solidly built and very powerful console, and the price is just too high. But the alternative, budget priced consoles with marginal power gap over the previous generation... ugh, that's a nasty vision of the future of the industry right there.

:lol

schuelma

Zaptruder said:
*sigh*

Looks like the shrill cheap syncophants have won.

Welcome the generation of waggle and not much else.

Yummy..bitter tears taste good

GhaleonEB

schuelma said:

"continues to build"? Sales DROPPED 35% on a weekly basis from last month! :lol :lol :lol :lol

Kolgar

Already late to the thread, but have to say "HOLY ****" at PS3 numbers.

Absolutely cataclysmic. I knew it would happen, but now that it actually IS... I can't believe it.

A damn shame, too, because I was one of those 127,000 buyers and you know what? I dig the system.

At least I'll get the Sony exclusives.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
AltogetherAndrews said:
Actually, I was talking about the future of the industry there. You really need to read these things through before you quote and respond.

And how in the hell is anything I say "stealth"?

I DO NOT WANT NEITHER MS NOR NINTENDO LEADING THE INDUSTRY FOR THEY ARE BAD NEWS.

There, is that clear enough?

And Sony is such good news by forcing their format on people (even more so considering Europe's <1% HDTV adoption rate). Hey, I can't wait until they try a $700 console because people have responded so well to the PS3.........errrrrr I mean.

Wiitard

Banned
Nameless said:
I could see your point, but have you see 360's software numbers. Hardware numbers matter least for Microsoft because their base buys a lot of games. The original Xbox had a steady stream of content despite getting trounced by Sony and being in a perpetual dogfight with the Gamecube--the GC on the other hand didn't.

Yes, you are right, 360 attach rate is by far the best thing HD gaming has going for it right now. There are several questions about it in the longer run, though:

1) First the really giant one: what happens to the buying habits of a 360 gamer getting a Wii?

2) Are the new 360 buyers having a similar attach rate as the older owners?

3) Will used games really start eating into it in a significant way in a year or so?

arne

Zaptruder said:
*sigh*

don't worry, you have 30-40 months before waggle really takes over (at current pace).

Wiitard said:
2) Are the new 360 buyers having a similar attach rate as the older owners?

one would presume yes so far, otherwise the attach rate would plummet dontchathink?

Well, I've said from the start I'll give them til the end of 07, and if things haven't turned around by then, they aren't liable to. So for 2007, that's 2 down, 10 to go, and so far it isn't looking great. They've got some good games now and lots of good games in the pipe, but that price is just ****ing destroying them.

duk

Banned
schuelma said:

Give me a freakin break.

The official spin is pretty bad, but March should be a more interesting measure of how the PS3's doing because of Motorstorm and the GDC news. We shall see.

Just saw this, and I'm really surprised. I don't think there are any excuses for this, Sony. These numbers are NOT OK or satisfactory. And I love how the PR still hasn't learned...

schuelma said:

That is precious.

Link said:
Yeah, but Sony leading and then charging us $600 is a-ok, right?

It's a high price, and apparently too high for most. But at least you get quality hardware. I consider charging $600 for powerful and reliable hardware a good deal more reasonable than charging $400 for something that is damned near suicidal. And then you have the Wii, which is essentially a repackaged Cube with a fancy controller going for well over two times the price of its predecessor. Meh.

schuelma said:

I can't believe they used the "short month" excuse. Other than that they are right about the Playstation brand doing well.

pswii60

P90 said:
Gulp! I think some developers may be directed by higher ups to rethink strategy and platform of choice or exclusivity. Ko... cough, cough. M...cough, cough..d.

KoMd? wtf is that?

antiloop

With the Wii's success this generation we will see a Wii 2, a Xii (MS answer) and a Pii next generation. They will all have new innovative controllers and cost around $200. The performance will be ok for 3D games but a no no for 4D games!

.dmc

Banned
GreekWolf said:
I can see this scenario playing out over the next decade -

Sony loses the video game market, but ultimately accomplishes their primary goal of ushering in a new video format in Blu-Ray. I'm starting to believe that this was their intent from the very beginning, even back in 1995. It's quite possible that once Blu-Ray wins the format wars and becomes the world-wide standard, Sony will promptly leave the game industry just as quickly as they entered. They'll have made their fortune and won't be forced to endure additional high-risk ventures against Microsoft and Nintendo.

Woah.. *sits down*

WingM@n

I know that some publishers are not happy with this situation.
I see a lot of future multi-platform games become a timed exclusive for the x360 first.
X360 owners really seem to buy a lot of games..

schuelma

_leech_ said:
The official spin is pretty bad, but March should be a more interesting measure of how the PS3's doing because of Motorstorm and the GDC news. We shall see.

You really think GDC is going to have any kind of substantial impact? No way man

PleoMax

Banned
Bebpo said:
If I were Sony right now, here what I would do:

Announce a shitload of new PS2 games for the next 2-3 years that are major titles like God of War. Put everything into driving the PS2 to be the console market leader for the next 2-3 years. Advertising, game publishing, you name it. Make PS2 the #1 system in the world even 3 years from now.

During that time period, kick out a few PS3 games each year to keep the PS3 fanbase from at least selling the system, and then 2-3 years down the line re-"launch" the PS3 at $299 with a ton of games and start dropping the PS2 support.

I guess there's a reason why some people don't work at some places.

GreekWolf

Zaptruder said:
*sigh*

You know, point blank, your company screwed itself. Anyone with even an ounce of common sense knew back in May of last year that the price point would kill them. A $500/600 game machine is instant death. The majority of the world just doesn't have that kind of disposable income for an entertainment box.

Top Bottom