• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Hardware Sales Results for February 2007

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Speevy said:
As someone who has fallen in love with the PS2 since I bought one in 2005, I don't mind last generation graphics winning the generation. As long as those graphics are coupled with good games.

Same here, even down to the year of purchase :p PS2 could go for years and I wouldn't care. Actually I wouldn't mind if Bepbo's dream of a few pages back became reality

P90

speculawyer said:
Remove the EE chip as done in Europe and go with s/w based emulation, make the Blu-Ray drive tray loading, and remove the expensive internal power supply by replacing it with a brick. I mentioned these three ideas months ago. Sony started doing one of them.

But that that would have substantial costs to accomplish.

I think Sony needs a third pillar.

PleoMax

Banned
I think it's time for MS to stop worrying about Sony and start worrying about Nintendo, this fall fill the damm stores with consoles, cut the price.

Halo 3 + GTa + Price Drop, holy jesus. Do that and MS will be able to keep up with Nintendo in N.A.

neptunes

Just read the thread....

499pxte.gif

Mirimar

Seems Howard Stringer put th leash on Kutaragi too late. I'm just remembering that WSJ article of him going over-budget on the PS3 development and not notifying upper management. Although I doubt it would've helped much if they hadn't gone over-budget..but how much over-budget did they go to justify the pricing model?

LJ11

meltpotato said:
400$ - 600$ is not affordable. it simply isnt. this is a GAME CONSOLE

Is it though? I look at the software numbers and they're pathetic. Personally, I own 3 games with the console, but other owners own one and sometimes none. If you ask them about how many movies they own, it's 5 to 10 times the number of games they own.

At this point in time the PS3 is a glorified Blu-Ray player, period.

Quite an accomplishment by Microsoft to continue to sell 200K plus a month at their price point. With the price drop that has to happen this year imho it will be interesting to see if they can get over the 300k threshold and secure their lead.

Link

The Autumn Wind
JB1981 said:
For telling people to shut the **** up for voicing an opinion different from your own, maybe?
Right, him calling people that don't want to spend $600 "shrill cheap sycophants" and "loud cheap bastards" is fine, though. I'll give you the same advice, personally.

Strike

and to think people were talking about the end of NPD last month. I'm...I'm.....still reeling over this. THIS. IS. EPIC!!!

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
krypt0nian said:
That's why 360, and by default PS3 will have no 3rd party support problems IMO. Software BOOMS on 360, and the PS3 ports are the obvious benefit.
Wii software has been selling well so far.

KINGMOKU

Zaptruder said:
Seriously. This shit is money flowing out of the PS3, out of the X360, into the Wii.

Publishers will go where the money is.

And what will we get as a result? Probably 4 years of cheap, shit house looking games. That's not what I signed upto this gen for!
DAMN ZAP. You really want to ride the lighting huh?

JB1981

Link said:
Right, him calling people that don't want to spend $600 "shrill cheap sycophants" and "loud cheap bastards" is fine, though. I'll give you the same advice, personally.

I bet you wouldn't give me that advice if you didn't have the advantage of anonymity, my man. Anyway, looking forward to your ban.

FrankT

PleoMax said:
I think it's time for MS to stop worrying about Sony and start worrying about Nintendo, this fall fill the damm stores with consoles, cut the price.

Halo 3 + GTa + Price Drop, holy jesus. Do that and MS will be able to keep up with Nintendo in N.A.

Halo3+price drop this fall=nothing even comparable. Mark my words and mark them well.

Master Z

sonycowboy said:
Sony's taking it up the rear, no doubt there. It's worse than ANYBODY could have predicted. To be a fly on the wall tonight would be worth just about anything.

That being said, the recent estimate published on the profitability on the PS2 is a joke. The cost breakdown is substantially below $100 at this point. It won't come close to helping offset the losses on the PS3, but $8? Fantasy.

When are you going to change your name? You don't seem like a "Sony Cowboy" anymore. Do you even own a Sony console?

P90

PleoMax said:

I wouldn't count out Sony yet, the PS2 is doing quite fine.

I can see Halo3 being big, but I think people are starting to get a little over saturated with GTA. Price drop would be great.

PleoMax

Banned
elostyle said:

Nobody is saying it isn't. It's just a reply to the guys saying games will all be moved for the wii and thats it. Thats not true...360 and Ps3 will keep having the same kind of support, the Wii will have its own kind of support, since games have to be different for it.

LJ11

Speevy said:
As someone who has fallen in love with the PS2 since I bought one in 2005, I don't mind last generation graphics winning the generation. As long as those graphics are coupled with good games.

God of War 2 seems to agree with you. Did you play the first one yet? Must have title.

ImprezaRS

v1cious said:
it went from 487,000 to 335. tell me what's not true about this statement.

anybody saying wii sales took a big hit this month is way off base. here is a month over month npd comparison taking into account the missing week.

JAN NPD = 5 weeks

Wii = 437,000 /avg weekly sales= 87.4 (supply constrained)
360 = 295,000 /avg weekly sales= 73.75
ps3 = 244,000 /avg weekly sales= 48.8
DS = 239,000 /avg weekly sales= 47.8 (supply constrained)
PSP = 211,000 /avg weekly sales= 42.2

FEB NPD = 4 weeks

DS = 485,000 /avg weekly sales= 121.25 (big jump over last month = bigger shipment)
Wii = 335,000 /avg weekly sales= 83.75 (only slightly less per week)
360 = 228,000 /avg weekly sales= 57.0 (down a bit)
PSP = 176,000 /avg weekly sales= 44.0 (up a bit)
ps3 = 127,000 /avg weekly sales= 31.75 (around 60% of last months weekly avg = not good)

To sum it up. the wii sold almost exactly equal to last month if you take into account the missing week. If you add the weekly avg for feb 83.75 to 335.0 to compare the wii sales to last month you get 418.75 (compared to 437) which is a slight drop but probaly due to supply constraints.

To adjust for the ps3 month over month if you add 31.75 with 127.0 you get 158.75. (compared to 244.0) Clearly month over month wii is keeping pace with itself while sony took quite a dive. Xbox 360 also saw a bit of drop but not as drastic as ps3.

gkryhewy

Zaptruder said:
Thus, the cheap syncophants have won. They've gotten what they wanted. A console with 6 year old hardware dominating.

Oh come now. You still have the BluRay thread in the OT, don't you? You'll always have "you don't deserve a unified format" to fall back on.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
PleoMax said:
Nobody is saying it isn't. It's just a reply to the guys saying games will all be moved for the wii and thats it. Thats not true...360 and Ps3 will keep having the same kind of support, the Wii will have its own kind of support, since games have to be different for it.
Right. However, budgets will shift. If this trend continues as is, PS3 is very unlikely to have many exclusives. Not with an on par or more successful console around that is as similar to it as the 360. Wii will get quite a few though. Kind of like the DS in it's recent year did.

Well this is my first ever GAF NPD meltdown thread and I would just like to thank everyone for being great. I hate to get in on the middle of conversations (especially ones that add a new page every 3 minutes) so Im just going to sit back and eat lime jello in my bean bag.

JB1981 said:
I bet you wouldn't give me that advice if you didn't have the advantage of anonymity, my man. Anyway, looking forward to your ban.

Those who live in glass houses shouldn't be throwing stones.

Welcome to February 1997! Have a nice stay!

Link

The Autumn Wind
JB1981 said:
People in glass houses....

I sincerely hope you don't actually think I'll be getting banned for my post, either.

EDIT - Wow, it's like I'm in Dragona's head.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Zaptruder said:
To be brutally honest, you can find 'fun' games on old systems and on the PC by the bucketloads, and for cheap

There's probably a mountain of great old games I haven't touched before. And I probably won't touch.

I'm not kidding myself; PS3, X360. They're not offering gameplay wise anything substantially different from what we've had before.

The wii is, but at the same time, from my experience, it's not an improved experience; just a different one (for me).

That's why it's best to own multiple consoles...

SonSon2

Zaptruder said:
I'm not kidding myself; PS3, X360. They're not offering gameplay wise anything substantially different from what we've had before.

The wii is, but at the same time, from my experience, it's not an improved experience; just a different one (for me).

Now you're making some sense. As far as the Wii goes, I've enjoyed it so far. What really needs to reiterated is that it isn't necessarily a better way to game, but a different way. I think there have been too many people on the war lines in some kind of pissing match about "better" gameplay methods. The key is design, and designing for a system's strengths.

I will probably never buy a PS3. I will buy a 360 when project RS3 comes out.

Price is the obvious problem, but so is image. Nintendo is simple and fun, 360 has an unparalleled online experience. What makes Sony different from these two? What do they have to offer? What is Sony's image?

PleoMax

Banned
P90 said:

I can see Halo3 being big, but I think people are starting to get a little over saturated with GTA. Price drop would be great.

What? GTA SA was like what? Best selling game on the Ps2?

People are getting sicked of GTa clones maybe....

When the last game in the franchise sells 13 million, you can't say people are getting tired of it.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
JB1981 said:

:lol :lol

INTERNET SERIOUS BUSINESS

The market is changing, deal with it boys. The door is that way if you can't handle it.

Diablos54

PleoMax said:

When the last game in the franchise sells 13 million, you can't say people are getting tired of it.
You heard of Vice City Stories?

Flyguy

elostyle said:

It has, but not as well as 360. Zaptruder seemed concerned that Wii's hardware numbers would adversely affect PS3's and 360's publisher support. PS3's software numbers should be enough to scare off publishers.

X26

Banned
P90 said:

GTA copy cats were getting pumped out pretty fast after GTA3 and it had no impact on GTA:VC or GTA:SA's sales. GTA is as strong as ever, plus the whole fact that this is the next real installment of the series, no doubt it's going to be a massive hit with (360) sales second only to Halo

...imo

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
edit: opps, didnt realize there was a separate software thread.

uhh, goooooo hardware!

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
PleoMax said:

The drop in sales from LCS to VCS is concerning though.

BobLoblaw

Banned
I'm sure this has already been posted at some point in this thread, but it looks like Nintendo and Microsoft are getting all the action. Sony has to settle for watching from the sidelines.

a $400 - $600 video game console simply will not sell to a wide audience. It's just a matter of time until MS drops the price of the current premium system and really starts putting the screws to Sony.

Sony can make the single greatest video game of all time, and it won't matter when the system is $600. All of their pre-launch hype amounted to squat when consumers were faced with the prospect of $700 or more just to leave the store with a PS3 and a game.

Sony has lost touch with what consumers want. The PSX, PSP, and PS3 have all failed to sell at the expected levels. Both MS and Nintendo are focusing on the gameplay experience, while Sony seems more interested in keeping their ailing entertainment divisions afloat. Sony will never be able to dominate as they have in the past when they feel the need to appease the other sections(music and film publishing etc) of their corporation.

Top Bottom