• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Hardware Sales Results for February 2007

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Halo against Mario Sunshine was no contest.

Really wonder how both Halo 3 and Mario Galaxy will do.

ITPRINTSWII221ce.gif

P90

GhaleonEB said:
You might be surprised. Mario might win eventually, but Halo 3 will be gargantuan out of the gates. Have you forgotten Halo 2's debut...or the sales crow thread? :lol

I expect Halo 3 to storm out of the gates, but SMG looks to be the real deal. Japan and legs say SMG. I'm not normally one for predictions, but I'll make another. Pokemon Diamond/Pearl > Halo 3 or anything else for this year.

pswii60

Jtyettis said:
Not even close. :lol

Come on, you're forgetting JAPAN. SMG could easily sell 3m+ there in no time. Oh, same for Europe. Then add US in to the mix and you've got it >>>>> Halo 3 WW.

Sure, in the US I think Halo 3 will sell more than SMG, but WW I think SMG will take the crown without a doubt, certainly if Wii hw continues selling the way it does now.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Well, that's never a sure thing. There were plenty of PS2/Xbox/PC games that never went to GameCube. Xbox had an advantage there in that it was so similar to a PC.

Not sure why you'd bring up the Gamecube in this as we are talking about 3rd party attach rates.

Unless the 360 stops selling software at the rates it has been, the 360 and by default the PS3 has nothing to worry about. The wii will have to have regular 3rd party uber-sellers for anyone to seriously consider jumping out of the 360/PS3 loop IMO.

Ghaleon, Mario winning world wide will be more likely then Halo winning world wide. The same hype we saw in NA isn't going to replicated everywhere else. Just saying, Halo will probably do a lot but due to NA and doing well in one territory compared to a world wide audience is kinda significant.

Not a big deal. Wtf I just said what you said >.<

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
P90 said:
I expect Halo 3 to storm out of the gates, but SMG looks to be the real deal. Japan and legs say SMG. I'm not normally one for predictions, but I'll make another. Pokemon Diamond/Pearl > Halo 3 or anything else for this year.

Duly noted, cant wait for Halo 3 sales threads in december.

Evlar

Banned
pswii60 said:
Come on, you're forgetting JAPAN. SMG could easily sell 3m+ there in no time. Oh, same for Europe. Then add US in to the mix and you've got it >>>>> Halo 3 WW.

Sure, in the US I think Halo 3 will sell more than SMG, but WW I think SMG will take the crown without a doubt, certainly if Wii hw continues selling the way it does now.
I'll echo that, assuming the game is good (and I think that's a very safe assumption). Halo 3 will be monstrously huge in the US regardless.

FrankT

pswii60 said:

Sorry, for this holiday season at least, the game to beat in sales world wide will be Halo 3. Mark my words and mark them well.

P90

Oblivion said:
Halo against Mario Sunshine was no contest.

Really wonder how both Halo 3 and Mario Galaxy will do.

SSB:M did pretty well. I don't have the #s, but SSB:M has to be up close to Halo 1 or 2 #s.

Wiitard

Banned
krypt0nian said:
I'd say you're wrong. Totally different audiences. Blue Ocean tells us otherwise.

The Halo crowd is surely not buying wii Play. :lol

Two things: first Zelda attach rate now (though falling); second, if Wii is a mainstream success, the hardcore gamers will want to check it out. If it fails, then or course not. But it is looking like Wii has enought goods to attract a sizable portion of mainstream gamers.

GhaleonEB

P90 said:
You're right. The two biggest games games on a system with a userbase 4-5x the 360 will outsell Halo 3. The SMG comparison is more apt since they are signiture franchises on systems with userbases that are similar size. But we'll see! Going to be interesting to watch.

My only real prediction is that Halo 3 outsells Halo 2 by a wide margin.

PleoMax

Banned
outunderthestars said:
No, the PSP wasn't built well for portable gaming, and its games are poorly designed for portable gaming.

I would love to see data on the average length of playing session for a GTA, Metal Gear, God of War etc type of epic console game. These type of games simply do not work for the majority of portable gamers. That is why God Of War PSP will be another under performing PSP game. The games simply do not work well in a portable setting.

You take a system that was built from the ground up as a jack of all trades, master of none, combine it with high price point, games that fail to grasp the concept of portable gaming, easy ps2 portability to ensure a flood of crappy ps2 ports, and you have a great recipe for a failure.

You can tell a system is failing when people fall back on the "it's just marketed poorly" defense. For more information on this, please see Game Cube sales threads.

When sony goes back to making game machines instead of shitty multimedia devices their sales numbers will come back. How a company with so many great franchises can run itself into the ground so quickly amazes me.

Wtf are you talking about?

No what? Marketed wrong is a bad excuse? Wtf are you talking about?

Do you even know wtf i was talking about? I wasn't talking about the PSP or the Ps2. I was talking about GTA4 and how the meant for PSP Gtas would have no relevance on it's success.

Wiitard said:
Two things: first Zelda attach rate now (though falling); second, if Wii is a mainstream success, the hardcore gamers will want to check it out. If it fails, then or course not. But it is looking like Wii has enought goods to attract a sizable portion of mainstream gamers.

What does a Nintendo games attach rate have to do with 3rd party publishers? Of course nintendo games sell on nintendo consoles.

Your mainstream/hardcore point is looping in on itself. Pick a side.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
JoshuaJSlone said:
If Wii consistently does, say... 44% better than X360, it still won't catch up until they're both at around 12 million. Plenty of time until that happens, and at that point they'd both be getting ready to pass where GCN and Xbox peaked.
This just highlights how much PS3 would have to turn around to come out on top.

Oblivion

P90 said:
SSB:M did pretty well. I don't have the #s, but SSB:M has to be up close to Halo 1 or 2 #s.

Yeah, SSBM is pretty high, close to Halo 2. But we were talking about Mario. :p

FrankT

Oblivion said:
GoW hit 4 million? News to me.

According to a recent release in Japan it has, but who knows. It was at 3 million on January 19th, so a million since then, probably/maybe.

fresquito

Jtyettis said:
Sorry, for this holiday season at least, the game to beat in sales world wide will be Halo 3. Mark my words and mark them well.
Sorry dude, but you somewhat mispelled Wii Health Pack.

Wow, even the SDF are stunned.

Can't say its surprising though. Sony dropped the ball big time and they will be paying for it for a long time.

I'm disappointed in the 360 sales though. I was expecting more. Software sales were great for it though.

P90

Oblivion said:
Yeah, SSBM is pretty high, close to Halo 2. But we were talking about Mario. :p

Yeah, but SMG looks like a real Mario game. Mario Sunshine was not really a Mario game to alot of people. Jut trying to compare top sellers also, not just avoid a direct comparison Mario/Halo.

nitewulf

kutaragi wanted to make a console for the "aristocrats" and well, there you have it. the guy should be fired, he has no business sense, and yet he is an upper management executive for a huge multinational.

have fun at the country club, old chap.

surely konami (kojima rather) and square/enix upper management are somewhat concerned about putting their eggs exclusively in one basket now.

Grecco

krypt0nian said:
Not sure why you'd bring up the Gamecube in this as we are talking about 3rd party attach rates.

Unless the 360 stops selling software at the rates it has been, the 360 and by default the PS3 has nothing to worry about. The wii will have to have regular 3rd party uber-sellers for anyone to seriously consider jumping out of the 360/PS3 loop IMO.

If PS3 sales software and hardware keep this way they have to worry. No matter what 360 does.

mm04

This news isn't surprising at all...I mean, this is all part of Sony's long-term plan right??Both Microsoft and Nintendo will be looking up at Sony because their plans were soooo short-term and they're shooting their wads early!

/sarcasm

I remember that spin last month and even that shit can't explain 127k for the month. Looking back now, it looks like both Microsoft and Nintendo executed their strategies pretty well. Microsoft launching a year early and Nintendo going for the pricepoint seems to have benefitted them both nicely.

I don't see any way for the PS3 to win this generation (at least in the USA). They simply priced themselves out of the race from the get go. I doubt they'll outsell either the Wii or the X360 this year so they won't make any ground at all in 2007 IMO.

January's NPD numbers should've been setting the alarm bells off everywhere. A system just 2 months out of launch MUST sell out, period. What happened to all those people who supposedly wanted to buy a PS3? They probably didn't know that it costs $600. Sony simply did not capitilize on the launch hype and really, the hype is already effectively dead. A combination of good to great games for the X360 along with the innovation/price of the Wii completely stole Sony's PS3 thunder.

At this point, Europe is Sony's last hope. I fully expect that first month of European sales to be high, and then a huge drop off in the second month and then similar numbers to this in the third. If Sony doesn't decisively win Europe, they'll be saying hello to third place this generation cycle and really, it'll be their own damn fault.

P90 said:
Yeah, but SMG looks like a real Mario game. Mario Sunshine was not really a Mario game to alot of people. Jut trying to compare top sellers also, not just avoid a direct comparison Mario/Halo.

I'd have to say that Sunshine looked more like a Mario game than Galaxy.

Stay strong Gaffers, as a Sony forum we must stay together in times of adversity. Can't you see they are trying to turn us against ourselves.

Oblivion

P90 said:

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. Hence why I think it'll be interesting to see if SMG makes a return to form for Mario in 3D.

According to a recent release in Japan it has, but who knows. It was at 3 million on January 19th, so a million since then, probably/maybe.

I dunno, I'd expect to hear confirmation from a more reliable source if that was true.

Zerodoppler said:
Wow, talk about overreacting. The PS3 has only been out a cople of moths, and the big games haven't even begun hitting. Sales will only get better from now on, and by christmas they'll be at least a solid number two, behind Microsoft.

So you think Wii will be #3? Wow.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
CrushDance said:
Wow. Troll much? Last time I checked DS and Wii were doing very well software adn hardware sales wise. You need to stop.

Yeah I bet those third parties are having an all-you-can-sell buffet on Nintendo systems huh?

F#A#Oo

Banned
Cerrius said:
Why mention a system where their games won't sell?

:lol

Games don't sell on Nintendo platforms because third-parties are giving Nintendo not 1st rate titles nor even 2nd rate...but 3rd rate titles...

Now if developers actually supported Nintendo platforms properly...they would reap the benefits of such a choice. But because they choose not to...they get exactly what they deserve POOR SALES.

Cerrius said:
Yeah I bet those third parties are having an all-you-can-sell buffet on Nintendo systems huh?
HA HA HA omg! Are you sure your in the right thread? This is a sales thread and you are saying things don't sell on Nintendo hardware. Did you see something called a DS and Wii in this months NPD?

P90

Cerrius said:

Depends on the game. Sonic and SoulCaliber say "hi". RE4 did respectable on the Cube vs. the much larger install base of the PS2.

pswii60

fresquito said:
Sorry dude, but you somewhat mispelled Wii Health Pack.

If Wii Fit (official title) does come out this fall, and it sells extremely well, I have to wonder WHY!?

It's going to be the new excercise bike. Husbands will get their wives the thing for xmas (as an excuse so they can play Mario). It will then get used once or twice and then put away in a drawer.

Why not a) go to the gym or b) get a fitness dvd

Then again, I thought the same about Brain Training. I still don't get the point in it. Why not read a book or do some REAL mathematics problems.

Kai

I am as big of a nintendo fan as anyone and I am happy to see them succeed on a global scale with their industry growing inititatives. Funnily enough, this isn't as bad for Sony as all of you are making it out to be though.

The PS2 is still selling extremely well and as the PS3 has more games availabe and Home and all of it's other initiatives launch the PS3 will slowly begin to pick up steam and the transitional sales from the PS2 to the PS3 will begin to grow. In addition to that, the PS3 life cycle is clearly going to be longer than the Wii and will have its place in the market and do fine. Additionally, as Nintendo grow's the market and brings in new users, there is a great potential for these users to try other products later such as the 360 or PS3.

The only difference is that we will see a bit more balanced industry with all three companies in the long run. This will only help the industry grow, as competition and market segmentation usually does. Overall, its good for the industry and the only drastic change is that their won't be one company that rules all (i.e. Nintendo in the 80's early 90's, Sony in the late 90's early 00's).

FrankT

Oblivion said:
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. Hence why I think it'll be interesting to see if SMG makes a return to form for Mario in 3D.

I dunno, I'd expect to hear confirmation from a more reliable source if that was true.

Oh, you can doubt it all you want but being that in fact it was at 3 million on Janaury 19th, it's gonna be pretty close by now, that much is certain.

Top Bottom