• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD January 2013 Sales Results [Up7: Wii U 57K (CNET), Vita ~35K, PS3 201K]

bomma_man

So Sony have a decent console in the PS3 and an Abomination that is the Vita (hey I still love mine, but I understand those sales feels)

Nintendo on the other hand has a beastly console that is the 3DS and an Abomination that is the WiiU

Amazing!

3DS certainly isn't beastly outside Japan.

They all have their issues obviously, but the fact that the three new gen machines are all struggling can't be a good sign for the market as a whole. Judged purely on software quality the 3DS should be dominating the GBA's figures (not that I'm saying that's a particularly good metric).

Yamauchi

Banned
Looks like sales will fall way short of even Nintendo's lowered expectations for the fiscal year. This may mean that we will see Iwata step down in the next few months. CEOs have to take responsibility for their companies' failings. Sadly, Iwata had two of the most disastrous console launches of all time under his watch.
He is also on track to lead Nintendo to its first two consecutive annual losses in history.

Eh. Sega put out one more after the Saturn.

The video game ecosystem is also radically different from the late '90s.

There's no place for another Nintendo home console if the Wii U bombs. A new CEO / the investors would pine for handhelds + iOS + 3rd-party home consoles only.

jay

I know it's been said before in this thread, but honestly what in the FUCK was Nintendo doing during the years leading up to Wii U? They certainly weren't putting out much of an effort towards Wii, which seemed to bode well for Wii U, but now we're seeing that they apparently spent that time doing jackshit instead of working on a big ticket game to release AT LAUNCH (not in this ~6 month "launch window" crap they've been trying to pull).

They got Google Street View working. I just downloaded it and I think they may have the lightning they need in this little app.

If the Wii U completely bombs, we're not seeing another major home console by Nintendo.

I smell some sort of overcooked pig meat.

JoeFu

Banned
I know it's been said before in this thread, but honestly what in the FUCK was Nintendo doing during the years leading up to Wii U? They certainly weren't putting out much of an effort towards Wii, which seemed to bode well for Wii U, but now we're seeing that they apparently spent that time doing jackshit instead of working on a big ticket game to release AT LAUNCH (not in this ~6 month "launch window" crap they've been trying to pull).

Yeah, seriously. I don't get how they don't have any other games out during this time. It really sucks... I like the Wii U, I just want something to play on it :( No idea if all those games they talked about in the Nintendo Direct last month will help with sales whenever those games do come out. Hopefully they do, but this system really needs games.

Codeblue

Maybe it just means we won't see another major home console from Nintendo with outdated hardware and incredibly anti-consumer e-commerce policies. That would be a win.

If it fails they sure as hell aren't going to take a loss on the next thing they put out. Maybe they can fix the anticonsumerism, but they'll never be able to loss-lead like the competition can.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Why is Wii Sports still not online?

DR2K

Banned
3DS and Vita are both arguably 2011 products designed for the handheld market as it existed in 2006/2007.

The difference is that Nintendo had popular handheld-friendly first-party IP to fall back on, won over most of the major Japanese third parties before the system even launched, and had the sense not to overengineer the system to the point where they couldn't afford to cut the price below $250 in the first year. Sony had no such cushion for error, with predictable results.

Nintendo couldn't afford to drop the 3DS, but they did it because they had no choice.

Yopis

And the Vita deserves its place just as much too. Way too expensive for a dedicated handheld in the post smartphone/tablet market and terrible anti-consumer memory card storage situation. And most of the games being ps3 ports.

Vita got where it is by it's own accord.

The tech justified the price imo. Sony just never went all in with the Vita. They should have some of the top first party teams make Vita games. Why should dedicated hh have a price ceiling? Sony tried twice to up the price and take consoles into a top tier. Guess people just want to pay toy prices.

Miles X

They got Google Street View working. I just downloaded it and I think they may have the lightning they need in this little app.

You're kidding right 0_o please tell me you are.

Google maps is not going to be the WiiU's lightning in a bottle.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
He is also on track to lead Nintendo to its first two consecutive annual losses in history.

Yeah, in Japanese business that's basically a death knell.

It'll be really weird to think of Nintendo without Iwata, but as much as I like what he has tried to do, it's obvious that his strategies don't necessarily work in this market.

It does everything else better, especially considering Microsoft's well-publicised entertainment strategy which kinda falls apart when you realise it hinges on a $60/year subscription to get stuff that's free on tablets.

Play AAA games? No. Allows me to play AAA games online? No.

I'm probably gonna get shit for this but considering that the Wii U is essentially the Wii HD Pachter was completely on the money. The Wii U should have hit the market in 2010 at the latest.

It's not a "Wii HD". It doesn't even render Wii games in HD, for Pete's sake.

But yeah, it's way too late. They should've either released it earlier, while the Wii brand was still strong, or (at the very least) called it something else.

x3sphere

Vita would be doing better if not for the ridiculous memory prices and lack of announcements. Price cut would be nice too, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary if those first two things were tackled.

A lot of Vita games have been absolute garbage despite being attached to big names as well, that hasn't helped its image. ie. Resistance: Burning Skies and Call of Duty Declassified.

Mikey Jr.

Unless Sony has some big surprise for the Vita on the 20th, just kill it. Nintendo dropped all kinds of 3DS bombs today. Vita isn't going to win or even compete in that fight at this point. Nintendo, much like Microsoft with RROD, gave Sony a huge open window to jump through and they didn't take advantage. RIP Vita. 30k in a NPDs period that included an extra week. Jesus.

Wouldn't mind Nintendo just dumping the WiiU off the same cliff they dropped the Wii and just putting every bit of developer focus on the 3DS. Will never happen, but I wouldnt miss the Wii U at all.

Agreed, I love Sony, but man, fuck the Vita. Just get out of handhelds ALTOGETHER. Or, make a Playstation Phone. Something like that.

Don't kill the Vita yet though. Keep trucking on for a few years, THEN give up. Don't want to see people waste their money. Hopefully Sony doesn't make a third handheld.

I smell some sort of overcooked pig meat.

It seems like you haven't seen the transcripts from the shareholder Q&As then.

Investors want Nintendo to focus on producing handhelds...you know, the things they're actually successful in right now.

If it fails they sure as hell aren't going to take a loss on the next thing they put out. Maybe they can fix the anticonsumerism, but they'll never be able to loss-lead like the competition can.

For the record, despite the worst major console launch in history, I don't think they're doomed. I think it will have a nice little run and sales will pick up as their heavy hitters arrive. Not sure what kind of success to expect. Definitely not Wii, probably not Gamecube, maybe around 360/PS3, which still isn't bad. But then again I'm one of the dummies that said it would sell out everywhere for months and months.

Coolwhip

Banned
WiiU failed (so far) due to a variety of factors:

1. Customer Confusion (many think it's an expansion tablet to the Wii)

2. Poor naming. Wii 2 or Super Wii would have been better. Not too late to change btw.

3. Poor Marketing (including #1 and #2). Nothing on TV or news to make people excited.

4. Increased entertainment competition

5. Poor economic situation compared to 5 years ago

6. No true Killer launch app and nothing on the immediate horizon

7. Poor 3rd Party support out of the gate and projected

The last two gaming system launches have "failed" and 3DS almost did too early on. Doesn't bode well for PS4/720. Probably not a good time for even less consumer friendly practices or pricing...

8. Price too high
9. Dropping motion controls for an expensive new gimmick
10. Going after the ps360 gamer, in a sloppy way
11. Not using their huge library (VC) from the get go

etc. too many mistakes to expect a sucess basically.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The video game ecosystem is also radically different from the late '90s.

There's no place for another Nintendo home console if the Wii U bombs. A new CEO / the investors would pine for handhelds + iOS + 3rd-party home consoles only.

This is way too extreme.

They'd give it at least one more shot: either a console/handheld hybrid, allowing themselves the opportunity to focus on ONE pillar OR they go nuts with a powerful console in 2016, giving them 3-4 years unopposed.

noobasuar

Banned
I think Nintendo likes to take things slowly. I don't even think they mind the sales right now and are just gearing up for this Christmas where they hope to explode. Same thing happened with the 3ds.

speedline

Banned
The problem is that they let the Wii die with no software for 2 years and everyone forgot about them. Then they launch a console with the same name and too expensive and everyone said "don't we have one of those in the closet already?" or "eh, didn't get much use from the other one the last 2 years, not buying this one."

DaBoss

The tech justified the price imo. Sony just never went all in with the Vita. They should have some of the top first party teams make Vita games. Why should dedicated hh have a price ceiling? Sony tried twice to up the price and take consoles into a top tier. Guess people just want to pay toy prices.

The tech justifying the price doesn't cut it. The general masses doesn't think the combination of tech, games, and future potential is worth the price. Same situation with the Wii U.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Would it do Nintendo good to go through a period of contemplation like Sony did? The PS3 definitely humbled them which is why it's good to see them taking steps to correct things with PS4. I think this will bring Nintendo back to Earth and make them fight again.

Ocaso

It's not a "Wii HD". It doesn't even render Wii games in HD, for Pete's sake.

But yeah, it's way too late. They should've either released it earlier, while the Wii brand was still strong, or (at the very least) called it something else.

Um, would a Wii2 need to render games at twice the framerate to qualify? To 2 screens? Why would a "Wii HD" name imply anything other than a new iteration of a console, one that offers all the features of the Wii but now in HD? It's like implying that people on the iphone 4 are shocked that non-native apps don't render at full resolution.

-Eddman-

WTF Iwata, he achieved the best and the worst console launch in history in less than 10 years. That's... remarkable.

Speaking as a Latin american consumer, this sales disaster is deserved and Reggie needs to be fired ASAP. They absolutely ignored a market that is growing at an incredible pace, quickly surpassing Canada as the second place in America; the Wii U sells for more than $500 in Mexico and the software is more expensive than PS3/360 games for no reason. Time for NOA to actually acknowledge our region and our money (As MS is doing with great results for them).

The Vita appeals to nobody but the most hardcore gamers - which is why it's loved by GAF and myself as well.

I have no idea what Sony was thinking with the thing. They probably don't know either.

They made a lot of very stupid assumptions leading up to and beyond launch: that PSP's exclusive Japanese third-party support would simply carry over; that third parties would treat it as a third HD console platform and give it copious multiplats; and that the collapse of PSP's Dudebros on the Go market in the West (as demonstrated in 2010 by Peace Walker bombing and GoW:GoS only selling 37% of what CoO sold two years earlier) was simply a symptom of generational fatigue, rather than of a fundamental and irreversible change in the Western handheld market.

Top Bottom