• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD January 2013 Sales Results [Up7: Wii U 57K (CNET), Vita ~35K, PS3 201K]

CQWhYWJ.png

Even the Virtual Boy / Saturn were better, guys.

The official lifetime total for the Virtual Boy is 770k.

I'm not saying he's making stuff up, but he's making stuff up.

I would love to see sources to back up that claim.

He's probably including this:

http://www.planetvb.com/modules/advertising/?r08

Virtual Boy, already enjoying strong retail sales, also is being tried out by more than 40,000 people per day through a rental program Nintendo has with Blockbuster Video. By the end of 1995, estimates show that more than seven million consumers will have experienced Virtual Boy through the rental program.

...As part of the launch.

At least the Virtual Boy got into more homes, albeit for a more limited time.

So your saying you think the Wii U deserved bad sales?

Wonder what will happen if the PS4 and Xbox 720 have the same sales or even lower, we should worry about the whole industry than.

Ain't gonna happen.

The wii U is just not a compelling purchase. It repackages wii/3ds games with current gen graphics and an esoteric controller interface that adds few truly novel experiences. It was destined to fail, and it was obvious from the lack of mainstream buzz that it would.

Miles X

Doesn't bode well for the next two consoles. Especially since they are gonna be more expensive. They'll need a killer app like Mario 64 (N64) and Halo (Xbox) IMO.

They actually have a market to appeal too, they should be fine. People make out price is such an issue, if the value is there and the want, the price doesn't matter too much, people will pay.

Look at PS3 early days, it's doing better than WiiU and it was $599 ...

Scum

Doesn't bode well for the next two consoles. Especially since they are gonna be more expensive. They'll need a killer app like Mario 64 (N64) and Halo (Xbox) IMO.

The PS4 & Xbox Next will be fine, but the first year when they are both out should be fun. Plenty of consoles everywhere.

Vita is waaaay more fucked than WiiU. Only thing that can save it is if they pack it in the ps4 or make it a phone.

The difference being that vita is a dedicated handheld in the age of smart phones and completely irrelevant to sony itself (themselves?). WiiU is supposedly nintendo's future.

royalan

Whew boy! I can't wait to hear Iwata's apology for this one!

The really sad thing is, to anybody who has been paying attention, the writing has been on the wall since last E3. So as bad as 55k is, I STILL can't say I'm shocked.

Sandfox

The software sales thing isn't that alarming when you consider the amount of hardware sold for the month and the fact that its basically Mario, Nintendoland, and ZombiU putting up those numbers.

He already did that last month.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Looks like Wii U is Nintendo's Vita.

I don't think the Vita / Wii U spell doom for PS4/720 either, in fact I think it's probably a good thing for both of those systems as I feel they'll be far more popular and eat into market share that Nintendo used to have last gen.

Problem with Wii U is that it's basically a Wii, with third party support that's just as bad, just as late to the party with nothing exciting, nothing that interests the casuals....

You're left with the GameCube audience, problem is they don't have the core games that attracted the GameCube audience, so now we have a subset of a very tiny portion of Nintendo's business. It's very bad for Nintendo, though it can and will improve once the software lineup gets better...but I have a feeling the system is destined to do less than 40 million lifetime sales, perhaps MUCH less.

Were any PS3 figures or estimates leaked?

BD1

Banned
I wonder if anyone is sitting in Redmond tonight actually surprised by this number. Seems like NoA forgot they had a new console, why would the market react any different?

As I said earlier, it is dominating Japan and had a great holiday here. It's fine. It's no GBA/DS, which no dedicated game device ever will be again.

To be fair it probably will surpass the GBA in Japan at least with it almost certainly having a longer life cycle, whether it tops the PSP isn't quite as certain but still fairly likely.

So your saying you think the Wii U deserved bad sales?

Wonder what will happen if the PS4 and Xbox 720 have the same sales or even lower, we should worry about the whole industry than.

Of course the Wii U deserves its bad sales. Nintendo earned it. And it would be a pretty huge accomplishment if the PS4/720 sold this poorly.

They might not do as well as some think, but to do this bad? Doubt it......and I highly doubt even more that they'd deserve to sell that badly.

Tobor

The really sad thing is, to anybody who has been paying attention, the writing has been on the wall since last E3. So as bad as 55k is, I STILL can't say I'm shocked.

Unless it includes a resignation, who cares?

Kusagari

You can't say that. The chances might be slim, but if Nintendo somehow manages to pull out a Wii Sports hit everything can change.

Before you can declare Wii U dead there are still key points happening in the near future:
- the release of major IPs, the Wii U not selling right now should be no surprise looking at the library, the question is wether Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart etc. can turn it around
- The new consoles will release at 400+ dollars, ps360 will get abandoned completely, leaving Wii U as the cheap alternative

One of those need to be turning points, if not, then Wii U is doomed.

Even if Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart turn it around it will only leave the system at most reaching Gamecube levels like I said. The Gamecube was a cheaper alternative with every Nintendo IP and great third party support, far better than the Wii U will ever receive, and it came in last.

Nintendo is coming in last this gen whether they're doomed or not.

Nekofrog

Banned
I've been wishing for Nintendo to get a black eye and bloody nose in the industry due to my fervent disagreement with their business practices for the past 5 years, but not sure if I was wishing for numbers like that...

bomma_man

Half arsed analogy time!

Nintendo = Republicans

Lack of advertising/software investment = austerity

Going back to traditional controls = winding back welfare

Relying on old IPs and sequels = social conservatism

Wii fit u/brain training/handheld and eshop pricing = refusal to change policy after 2012 election/evolution denial

E3 2012 = Rubio water bottle

You can't explain that!

Cheebo

Banned
Of course the Wii U deserves its bad sales. Nintendo earned it. And it would be a pretty huge accomplishment if the PS4/720 sold this poorly.

They might not do as well as some think, but to do this bad? Doubt it......and I highly doubt even more that they'd deserve to sell that badly.

And the Vita deserves its place just as much too. Way too expensive for a dedicated handheld in the post smartphone/tablet market and terrible anti-consumer memory card storage situation. And most of the games being ps3 ports.

Vita got where it is by it's own accord.

Theorymon

Looking through this thread some more, it seems like the most generally agreed upon issue here is the Wii U's lack of software. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but if Nintendo decided to go into "panic mode" and attempt to save the Wii U with a ton of 1st party games, isn't there a good chance that the Wii U will just preform similarly to the Gamecube? I mean, the Gamecube still had stuff like Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros, but it still didn't do that well sales wise. Granted, this tactic seems to have helped with the 3DS, but I can't help but feel like the Orbis and Durango are going to cut into the Wii U's mindshare much more than iOS and the Vita cut into the 3DS's mindshare.

I think if Nintendo wants the Gamepad concept to work out better than the gamecube, they'd need to provide software that sells the general public on the concept instead of busting out their usual stable of franchises to please the fans. AKA something in the vein of how Wii Sports and Wii Fit sold people on motion controls rather than 3D Mario and Zelda.

The issue here is that the Wii U launched with nothing as defining as Wii Sports, so I have a question for the people who know more about the business side of gaming... How many examples are there of system defining software "saving" a video game system a significant time after launch? From lurking here on GAF, the only example I can think of is what Monster Hunter did to the PSP in Japan. I guess there's the PS3, but correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't continued third party support and price drops a bigger factor than Sony's First Party games? again I'm sorta new to the business side of video games, so I'm wondering if I'm missing something here.

Sissel

wrong. Watch Dogs, next-gen CoD and Bungie's Destiny alone will be enough to get the ball rolling. The reason the WiiU is doing so shit is because there's nothing for core gamers and non-gamers don't give a shit about it. Casual gamers (the CoD fanbase) don't care either.

The difference being that vita is a dedicated handheld in the age of smart phones and completely irrelevant to sony itself (themselves?). WiiU is supposedly nintendo's future.

Yep. Just a couple of the reasons why Vita is in a way worse place. I can't fathom who outside of Sony would work on a non-Sony funded Vita project.

Platform is on life support.

Coolwhip

Banned
Even if Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart turn it around it will only leave the system at most reaching Gamecube levels like I said. The Gamecube was a cheaper alternative with every Nintendo IP and great third party support, far better than the Wii U will ever receive, and it came in last.

Nintendo is coming in last this gen whether they're doomed or not.

I wonder if Nintendo could have done anything to keep the Wii audience hooked on Nintendo though. Or that Wii was just a flash in a pan. Doomed to fail after the initial hype. Which is hard to believe at 100 million sold.

evangd007

I hope the Vita picks up. The Wii U deserves its sales while I really don’t think the Vita does. It's not fair.

There is no hope for the Vita. The truth is you care far more about the Vita than Sony does. That's why the Vita deserves its sales: it's been abandoned harder by Sony than the Saturn was by Sega.

Kifimbo

Look at PS3 early days, it's doing better than WiiU and it was $599 ...

Back then, the Wii was also doing gangbusters and you could hardly find a console in the first six months. Different era. Anyway, too early to call since we don't know much about the next Xbox and PlayStation.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Looks like sales will fall way short of even Nintendo's lowered expectations for the fiscal year. This may mean that we will see Iwata step down in the next few months. CEOs have to take responsibility for their companies' failings. Sadly, Iwata had two of the most disastrous console launches of all time under his watch.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
So Sony have a decent console in the PS3 and an Abomination that is the Vita (hey I still love mine, but I understand those sales feels)

Nintendo on the other hand has a beastly console that is the 3DS and an Abomination that is the WiiU

Amazing!

Proxy

Aye, the Vita isn't going to make or break Sony unless they do something really stupid like dropping the price to $150.

Top Bottom