• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD January 2013 Sales Results [Up7: Wii U 57K (CNET), Vita ~35K, PS3 201K]

I think he meant that no major console has ever had a worse January in the US than the Wii U. The Wii U has had a stronger first three months than some other platforms in the US, but this 55,000 number is unprecedented.

IF that's what he meant, that's what he should've said. And I still doubt it.

Nintendo investor sentiment, last June (5 months before the the Wii U release)

Comparing the company’s stock price of a year ago with the price now, it’s dropped more than 50%. This means that the company’s assets have shrunk in the same proportion and, as the result, the asset per share has decreased as well. How is Nintendo dealing with this share price drop situation?

When the Wii U has entered a mature phase four or five years later, will it be able to compete with a next-generation console by Microsoft or personal computers? I am concerned about a future situation in which a game is available for consoles other than the Wii U due to a lack of power. Please let me know what efforts you have made to avoid it.

I don't think that the current Nintendo is making full use of its potential. I believe that there is a way to improve your business more and more by taking advantage of what you already have.

Let me ask something fundamental. Isn’t Nintendo’s business model becoming outdated? What kind of growth strategy would you specifically propose? Please explain clearly what your growth strategy is as I believe Nintendo’s share price will quickly rise once you have announced it to the media.

And this is BEFORE the Wii U launch. I have a feeling they're going to completely DESTROY Iwata come this June, supposing Iwata is still even CEO by then.

Tobor

How could the Wii U die this fast? It doesn't make any logical sense.

It makes perfect logical sense. To quote myself:

Tobor said:
The concept is a dud. They told everyone that complicated controllers were dead, that the future was about motion control, and laughing and jumping and having fun...and then totally reversed course. Now the message is the same complicated dual analog controllers as the other guys with a tablet stuck in the middle. It's confusing, and convoluted, and not nearly as much fun.

The Wii U is Iwata grasping at straws, unsure what to do now that the casual market he was so proud of is happy with iPads and Smartphones, and the core is perfectly happy with Playstation's and Xbox's and PC's. They have no quarter. The Wii U is what happens when a company has a hit, squanders the good will and marketshare that hit built, and has no idea how to catch lightning a second time.

pelican

No games. No hook for the casuals. No real hook for the core gamer.

I own one, and it hasn't been on much since December. I am looking forward to Monster Hunter next month.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Nothing Nintendo did with this launch made any logical sense.

That's why they desperately need new guys at the top.

Coolwhip

Banned
Prediction: the console/handheld hybrid is set in motion at Nintendo HQ right now. With news of batteries becoming significantly better in 3 years, it could work.

Nintendo investor sentiment, last June (6 months before the the Wii U release)

And this is BEFORE the Wii U launch. I have a feeling they're going to completely DESTROY Iwata come this June, supposing Iwata is still even CEO by then.

Damn, shit's about to get real at Nintendo.

DaBoss

Unlike with Sony though I think a lot of us saw this coming.

Before the consoles of both companies were revealed? No one saw either coming. But after the PS3 was revealed (599), and the Wii U was revealed, I think it was pretty much not well received and fairly obvious they weren't going to do well.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Vita can fucking sell

Vita Wifi (annihilate the 3G) + 8GB Memory Card + Super StardustDelta for $199.99
Fuck throw in a $50 voucher for "Limited Time" only for 1 year PS+ to get some to go out on buy, due to it before March 1st get the extra 3 months promo running or some shit

You might get some PS3 users to run out and buy

Sony needs to learn that sometimes doing a "OMG this is a fucking steal!" can carry over sales real good
You will lock in users for PS+, so you build upon that
You will get more PS3 <==> Vita Cross Buy users
You will have more Vita users overall... FUCK!

jay

Isn't who is asking the questions hugely relevant? Do we have any info on that?

the GBA did 15 million in about 4 years in japan, 3DS is outpacing that since it has 10 million in 2 years. by 4, it should be at 20 or more (considering the upcoming games)

3DS's real trouble has been outside japan so far mostly since it hasn't taken off like GBA or DS over here.

GBA launched in Japan early March 2001, DS hit there early December 2004, so a bit under 3 years and 9 months total. It's outpacing the GBA slightly in Japan for sure. I doubt that the unveiling of a new Handheld 2 months after the system's 3 year anniversary did much for sales though.

Unlike with Sony though I think a lot of us saw this coming.

A lot of us saw it coming for PS3 after E3 2006 and FIVE HUNDRED NINETY-NINE US DOLLARS, just as a lot of us saw it coming after E3 2012 and Nintendo's dismal software showing. (Can't count myself in the latter group, though. I was never sure how well it'd do past the holidays, but I never expected it to do this badly.)

Amir0x

Banned
damn hang the Vita up, as sad as that makes me.

dedicated gaming handhelds are on their way out anyway, slowly but surely, so might as well cut your losses now Sony

Yamauchi

Banned
Nintendo Directs and vaporware cannons aren't going to change the Wii U's current trajectory towards epic faildom. They need good games coming out in the next 2-3 months.

rdrr gnr

It makes all the sense in the world.
damn hang the Vita up, as sad as that makes me.

dedicated gaming handhelds are on their way out anyway, slowly but surely, so might as well cut your losses now Sony
I wonder if Vita's existence had a measurable affect on the PS4. As in, if Bend wasn't doing Vita games -- would they be making a PS4 title? How much did Sony spend on marketing and R&D?

volpone

Banned
Yeah, sorry, I'm mixing my systems here. What I meant was, they should've done the "Wii HD" thing earlier, to keep the brand alive, or else abandoned the brand with this new system.

The Wii HD, in the manner you're conceptualizing it, would have been a logistical disaster. I know people point to Dolphin and say: "look how wonderful this is, it runs my Wii games in HD!" But Dolphin has been constantly revised, games have been patched (and even then many are buggy) but most importantly the horsepower required to perform such feats is far beyond the processing capabilities of the Wii U.

That's why rationally, the Wii U is only the thing that the Wii HD could have ever been. A HD ready Wii that achieves parity with the competition.

Do you guys think if Nintendo were getting some big third party multi-plat games such as Metal Gear Rising, Bioshock, and Tomb Raider, it would be doing any better right now?

neptunes

I also can't imagine firing any upper management execs is really going to remedy Nintendo's unique situation. So that probably won't happen, unless it's board of directors explicitly demand such.

Especially for NoA. How autonomous is NoA really?

Foffy

Banned
It only gets better for Nintendo.

On Wednesday Sony drop the first Next Gen bomb. And MS are still waiting in the wings between now and GDC (hopefully).

Time for a major rethink, and software.

The software from Nintendo is clearly coming, but the issue is there's nothing for it now. Precisely why it's failing now. Nobody has a reason to buy one right now.

Sissel

It totally does.

1) Casual gamers don't want another current gen console, they have their 360/PS3 for CoD
2) Core gamers already own a 360 and/or PS3, they are satisfied with all the big 3rd party games coming out on those consoles (Bioshock, GTAV, Tomb Raider, etc)
3) Non-gamers don't care about the Wii anymore. They dont even know the WiiU exists

so you're left with Nintendo fanboys and hardcore gamers to sell to. And even most hardcore gamers obviously aren't investing in this flop of a console.

Roman

Isn't who is asking the questions hugely relevant? Do we have any info on that?

One of them is from the guy who wanted to give Iwata a private demonstration afterwards. Sure was a fun thread. Maybe his plan would've been better...

LOCK

It should be interesting to see how the Wii U does in March. After that, I do believe the system will recover this holiday with a price cut, 3D Mario, and Mario Kart. They also need aggressive marketing.

Do you guys think if Nintendo were getting some big third party multi-plat games such as Metal Gear Rising, Bioshock, and Tomb Raider, it would be doing any better right now?

No. There is no reason for the vast majority of PS3/360 users to switch over and spend 350 dollars for something they can already play that likely won't look better.

Edit: Iwata will probably be CEO until the end of the year. If by the end of this year things don't turn around he will be gone.

DaBoss

God damn, some of these shareholders had legitimate concerns and questions being brought up. I think the Board of Directors should be capable of influencing the company in a good direction (not iOS/Android) if it comes down to getting a new CEO.

The solution to WiiU's problem isn't a price-cut, but for the Vita it sure as hell is.

I think a $149.99 price point would do well (not even close to 3DS well) but better than it is now.

IIRC Sony is either right at break even on the Vita or is losing a little bit on hardware.

If they drop the price by $100 they are in essence doubling down on their initial Vita investment and re-launching. This is not sound business IMO. Those upfront costs for starting a system are already gone and sunk, you cant worry about them. Also the climate for a dedicated handheld is not big enough for two companies. Nintendo has already proven it has won this handheld race. No doubt about that. The smarter move is to ride out this wave, keep the price high and make it profitable on the hardware side. Drop price when its profitable to do so. Software will sell like garbage and the only games we will get for Vita are first party and/or cross-buy titles, but you don't risk bleeding money, money Sony doesn't have, on a device that shouldn't exist in 2013.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

It has to be pure arrogance. There's no other explanation.

Nintendo Directs and vaporware cannons aren't going to change the Wii U's current trajectory towards epic faildom. They need good games coming out in the next 2-3 months.

Yep, they messed up by not having a big game or two ready to be released in the first few months of the system. I guess they were counting on Pikmin 3 to be ready and release about now, but that probably wouldn't have carried the system too much regardless. Now they've been caught with no games close to completion so all they can do is announce things and hope that the Wii U can live on life support long enough to make it to next Fall when they finally have games that are ready to be released and can get into a better release rhythm.

gkryhewy

Vita can fucking sell

Vita Wifi (annihilate the 3G) + 8GB Memory Card + Super StardustDelta for $199.99
Fuck throw in a $50 voucher for "Limited Time" only for 1 year PS+ to get some to go out on buy, due to it before March 1st get the extra 3 months promo running or some shit

You might get some PS3 users to run out and buy

Sony needs to learn that sometimes doing a "OMG this is a fucking steal!" can carry over sales real good
You will lock in users for PS+, so you build upon that
You will get more PS3 <==> Vita Cross Buy users
You will have more Vita users overall... FUCK!

Yeah that would totally move at least twelve units. Come on. A price drop would be nice, but vita needs big time software.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Worst fucking ads of any video game launch. That's how.

I actually think they'd been better off with no commercials at all.. As they only served to make the system unapealing to those who already heard about a new Nintendo launching.

Striek

Prediction: the console/handheld hybrid is set in motion at Nintendo HQ right now. With news of batteries becoming significantly better in 3 years, it could work.
What purpose does this mythical hardware serve? How does it differentiate itself from any other handheld? TV-out? Why would Nintendo merging two sources of revenue into one possibly be a good thing?

Tobor

I think they need someone from the outside of Nintendo as well, they need someone to really turn that place on its head.

Agreed. An internal hire would just be another Iwata. Unless there is some crazy rebel in there we don't know about.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Thought I'd look into this:

830K were shipped to Japan; 770-780K have been sold-through (Feb 10th). Given 6 more weeks selling at its current rate, it will just sell through the initial shipment.

1.32M were shipped to the Americas; ~939K have been sold-through in the US (Feb 2nd). Given 2 more months at current sales, there will still be 250K in the channel from the original launch shipment. (Minus whatever was sold in Canada.)

900K were shipped to Other; ~430K were sold-through in Europe (2012). No tracking data since.

It's actually conceivable that the only place that might need the channel refilled is Japan.

:/

You think that means that there are a shit ton of Wii Us sitting in a warehouses somewhere that Nintendo thought for sure they would need to meet demand? This is just so sad now. If nintendo disappears from the console market, I have a bunch of friends who will end up never playing a console game again in their lives.

Top Bottom