• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD January 2013 Sales Results [Up7: Wii U 57K (CNET), Vita ~35K, PS3 201K]

Rookje

Gl getting any 3rd party to develop for the Wii U now lol.

This is so sad.

And RE: Virtual Boy. He said *MAJOR CONSOLE* release. The Virtual Boy is not a major console.

Meelow

Banned
As a Wii U owner these numbers are horrifying, but I said it before and I'll say it again. Kill this console, start over, beef up your system specs, make the touchpad a peripheral that is optional or suffer for the next 5 years with sub Gamecube level sales. This isn't just about software, this is also about a control scheme nobody cares about as well as the console being completely underpowered. Dreamcast 2 is here.

That's a great idea!

People forget about 3DS, and people forgot how PS3 turned around it seems

DmC is interesting because I just do not buy that Capcom would never have gone back to DMC proper before announcing DmC. The series was on the upswing, multiplatform was clearly doing well for it and they more or less had the genre to themselves in terms of marketshare.

Maybe it would have taken until Itsuno finished Dragon's Dogma, but I find it hard to believe they simply never would have made another Devil May Cry unless Ninja Theory made it.

For the question of what Capcom does now that DmC failed to meet their expectations, well...it depends entirely on what message they take from it and "People just want DMC5" might not actually be the right one. The market is more crowded than it was when DMC4 came out, the generation is also a lot older and risk-taking is not going to help sell your game. Maybe action game fans are waiting for Rising, maybe everyone is spent out after the holidays. At the end of the day, the game was a critical darling that failed to penetrate the mass market while DMC4 was the opposite (though mostly in retrospect, its metacritic is within spitting distance of the critically-acclaimed DmC's) and did that game sold well.

It may be the worst case scenario for everyone - that DmC damaged the brand among the fanbase while failing to pick up enough new people to offset it. Which means that a small minority of fans were pleased by the result because it got them DmC but it makes everyone else, from consumers to Capcom, stomach pains.

DarkPanda

How do you guys think Nintendo should have followed the Wii up? I hear a lot of reasons why the Wii U is failing, but not many suggestions or ideas what -would- work for Nintendo.

I made a post about this in May, and I still think I'm 100% right. My main points were:

1) Close enough to the PS4/X720 to make porting easy and make the difference between Wii U and current gen easily viable.
2) Match XBL/PSN feature-for-feature and EXCEED them with anything and everything you can think of.
3) Major, revolutionary, must-have title for launch. Mario 64 level of innovation. Something that everyone says "OMG, I have to play that!"
4) Money hat, money hat, money hat! Pay some major 3rd party to make an exclusive dudebro game.

Basically, they needed to do the exact opposite of what they did.

I hope that the WiiU finally, FINALLY convinces Nintendo that they need to play the game to succeed. What they should have learned from the N64, what they should have learned from the Gamecube, what they should have learned from the premature death of the Wii is that they NEED 3rd parties to survive. Nintendo, for all their greatness, cannot support a console by themselves. They need third party developers, and they need support that's at least at parity with their competition to survive. Anything less only leads to failure.

Bsigg12

The market is incredibly top heavy at the moment, and even those games are in YoY decline. Probably why every publisher is going for broke trying to turn anything they possibly can into a CoD mega hit (EA with Dead Space, for example).

Dammit. Now I'm convincing myself that the market actually IS shrinking.

I do think it is sadly. Gamers will always be there, but Apple has set a precedent for entertainment on the cheap with the iPod touch and iPhone. I know its not a console, but when stores like Toys R Us are carrying iPod touches and killing it in sales during the holidays, its kinda telling of where were heading. Its sad to even imagine that next gen could potentially have a pretty heavy decline in total sales.

It's kind of bizarre to see Wii Sports retconned into the Jesus Fucking Christ of all mainstream video games.

I don't really know what this is in response to. The point isn't that Wii Sports singlehandedly sold every single Wii system and it alone made it the most successful platform last gen. The point is just in comparing the proof of concept mini-games and their efficacy to get people to understand and buy into the vision of the platform's design. Your whole post just reads as meandering analysis to counter a point nobody ever made.

antitrop

Next month is going to be really interesting.

Rising's sales will tell us a real story.
I really hope it's a breakout success for Platinum.
At the very least I expect it to be their best selling game, yet.

The Metal Gear brand name is strong, the Platinum Games respect amongst hardcore gamers is strong, and it's all but a foregone conclusion now that the game will review well.

I would like to see this game destroy the sales charts.

They've certainly set it up to do so.

jmizzal

People have no patience though. And this is where Nintendo made a huge mistake. If they expanded their internal teams enough during the Wii era, then the launch wouldn't be the disaster it is now.

How would that work? Every Wii U owner, the early adopters, would be pissed off. And it sends a really bad message.

This I agree with they shouldve used that Wii money to buy some western studios to have games ready for when they jumped into HD.

But yet we only have Retro to wait for and they cant pump games out fast enough.

I do love the move with platinum games in Japan tho, but it should be more

70K sales for the Wii U next month. Calling it now.

Why would it go up?

Next month will be even worse. There is no way the Wii U sales will go up until software releases and no software (an original game with limited demographic appeal, a limited demographic port from the 3DS, and a late port of a racing game) will be released in March.

Shit's gonna be fucked for a while!

Elios83

BTW using Microsoft numbers and assuming that Wii sales are in the 40k-100k range, PS3 sales for the month would be in the 200k-260k range, so pretty good.
Wii U and Vita are in a tragic situation though.

ezekial45

Banned
DmC is interesting because I just do not buy that Capcom would never have gone back to DMC proper before announcing DmC. The series was on the upswing, multiplatform was clearly doing well for it and they more or less had the genre to themselves in terms of marketshare.

Maybe it would have taken until Itsuno finished Dragon's Dogma, but I find it hard to believe they simply never would have made another Devil May Cry unless Ninja Theory made it.

For the question of what Capcom does now that DmC failed to meet their expectations, well...it depends entirely on what message they take from it and "People just want DMC5" might not actually be the right one. The market is more crowded than it was when DMC4 came out, the generation is also a lot older and risk-taking is not going to help sell your game. Maybe action game fans are waiting for Rising, maybe everyone is spent out after the holidays. At the end of the day, the game was a critical darling that failed to penetrate the mass market while DMC4 was the opposite (though mostly in retrospect, its metacritic is within spitting distance of the critically-acclaimed DmC's) and did that game sold well.

It may be the worst case scenario for everyone - that DmC damaged the brand among the fanbase while failing to pick up enough new people to offset it. Which means that a small minority of fans were pleased by the result because it got them DmC but it makes everyone else, from consumers to Capcom, stomach pains.

This is what a lot of people who are celebrating over DmC's sales need to realize. There is nothing here to suggest that Capcom will come crawling back with DMC5 after looking at these sales, and the people celebrating have already convinced themselves this will be the case.

There is no excitement for Wii U. You know you're gonna get Mario and Zelda, but there is no excitement like anticipating and speculating about Bungie's Destiny, the new game from the former COD dev or the next Houser game.

Yeah, speculation. But once it's revealed it becomes a known quantity and some people lose interest, inevitably. They'll just jump on the next band wagon of hype and speculation. No doubt, in a week the games announced at yesterday's ND will be 'old news' and boring for some people (though one is technically 'old') and would have become so regardless of Playstation's announcement.

It's kind of bizarre to see Wii Sports retconned into the Jesus Fucking Christ of all mainstream video games.

Also maybe a little hyperbole there, because part of what made Wii lightning in a bottle wasn't just one game, it was time, circumstance, and position.

Tetris likely wouldn't have made the splash it did had it been released now, today, in this gaming market and current global culture.

Wii Sports is great and WSR even better. But the original did benefit from incredible mystique and hype built up around Nintendo's "bizarre" new game console, that the mainstream press did no small part in helping to create curiosity about. Wii also launched in a world where every mainstream person was not already playing easily accessible games on their phones every day, and was now used to the idea of video games as just another form of entertainment.

Let's not go too crazy building up Wii Sports just to ensure the shadow cast over Wii U's "complete and total failure in every conceivable way" is long.

I agree with what you said pretty much. Wii was lightning in a bottle. I'm not trying to prop up Wii Sports as a game, just as an experience. It is what sold the Wii. NSMB and Mario Kart Wii sold 20 million copies on the back of Wii sports. People who normally would not have bought a console for those games had one thanks to Wii sports and resort and Fit. Those people have no reason to buy a Wii u. A lot of them got their "gaming fix" during the height of the Wii/Rock Band fad and probably don't even play video games much anymore. There is nothing compelling about it to them, and Wind Waker HD or another NSMB or another Smash Bros won't change that.

TheNatural

My Member!
Lol I knew all those mid 150k predictions for Wii U were full of shit. I was thinking 85k, and it was even below that.

Enjoy the crow all you delusional that kept replying the launch wasn't a disaster and 'wait and see.' Well we waited and now you see. Horrible sales below any worst case and a barren landscape ahead.

Nintendo has come up with a pair of bullets with 3DS this year and future, and Wii U is 7 2 offsuit. Time to push the right horse Nintendo.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
February is also the shortest month to boot, you lose 2-3 days of sales

So it would have to sell more than January's 5 weeks

This is what a lot of people who are celebrating over DmC's sales need to realize. There is nothing here to suggest that Capcom will come crawling back with DMC5 after looking at these sales, and the people celebrating have already convinced themselves this will be the case.

Ideally they should have just left DMC4 as a one-off this generation, maybe make a Vita port, and then release a DMC5 next-gen.

But if if's and but's were candy and nuts.

Striek

The market is incredibly top heavy at the moment, and even those games are in YoY decline. Probably why every publisher is going for broke trying to turn anything they possibly can into a CoD mega hit (EA with Dead Space, for example).

Dammit. Now I'm convincing myself that the market actually IS shrinking.

The PS3 is 7 years old, the X360 is 8. They're still selling exceptional amounts of hardware for systems this old. IGN gave the January PS3 software decline - adjusted for 5 weeks instead of 4 - at a mere 2% YoY. We don't have comparable X360 figures but its reasonable to assume its similar.

We got UK data for January that showed that the PS3+360 software combined were only down 3.5% YoY.

Most of the decline in the industry at the moment is Nintendo. The Wii, the DS.

rdrr gnr

It is, essentially, making me really think that the Wii initially sold on novelty. I mean, I always knew it did, but this really drives home how much the novelty must have been driving sales.
Seems like Nintendo felt the same way. They tried to capture that novelty again. It's nearly impossible to capture something that takes off so organically. It was near impossible for me to visit anyone's house without seeing the Wii just sitting there, and now, most of them are unaware of the existence of the Wii U. And I don't think they would care to purchase it even if they were made aware of it. But, you and I, who do not necessarily need novelty to drive a purchase get to see the platform crumble from the outside in.

Why would it go up?

Next month will be even worse. There is no way the Wii U sales will go up until software releases and no software (an original game with limited demographic appeal, a limited demographic port from the 3DS, and a late port of a racing game) will be released in March.

Nintendo didn't release any titles in the US in February 2002 for the Gamecube, either. But it still went up then as well.

It's just a stronger month for sales in general, and with Nintendo guaranteed to be in panic mode, I'm betting we'll see sales increases.

The numbers aren't great but the WiiU is still the top selling next gen console on the market. And by the time the PS4 hits the market at $400-500, the WiiU will have a nice price cut and a host of top selling franchises ready to launch. This isn't over. We don't know what Retro has been working on, I have a feeling they'll provide the killer app gamers are looking for.

Just a couple moves can fix this, I really don't see a point in jumping to conclusions. Nintendo can potentially purchase Valve, given their financial problems. Also given the ridiculous situation at Ubisoft, I think master talents like Ancel could flock to Nintendo. Those two moves alone would shore up the US and UK markets, and Japan will fall in line for Animal Crossing WiiU.

Schnozberry

I do think it is sadly. Gamers will always be there, but Apple has set a precedent for entertainment on the cheap with the iPod touch and iPhone. I know its not a console, but when stores like Toys R Us are carrying iPod touches and killing it in sales during the holidays, its kinda telling of where were heading. Its sad to even imagine that next gen could potentially have a pretty heavy decline in total sales.

Apple's marketing is stellar. If they keep the price of the iPad Mini competitive with consoles it could be a major decline for all console makers.

ezekial45

Banned
Ideally they should have just left DMC4 as a one-off this generation, maybe make a Vita port, and then release a DMC5 next-gen.

But if if's and but's were candy and nuts.

Probably would've been for the best. If they do make DMC5, then it'll benefit from being at the start of the next-gen.

It's just a shame. DmC was a good game (IMO), but it just couldn't get away from the cloud hanging over it. Though a part of me thinks Capcom and Ninja Theory knew this would happen. Especially considering that there was no post launch marketing.

Why would it go up?

Gamecube went up back in 2001. February's generally a better month all around - everything always goes up from Jan. It might go up, but if it does, it won't be by much, especially with Jan being 5 weeks, of course.

Coolwhip

Banned
Why would it go up?

I think next Nintendo Direct Iwata will be in a warehouse filled with his own Wii U's to boost sales.

Why would it go up?

I think it will do a little shifting upward or at least leveling-off in March. With LEGO City, they are probably going to do some actual marketing for the game, and we should know by then how Q2 will look for the system (G+W, Wii Fit U, and Pikmin 3 is my guess). I see either Feb-Mar or July-Aug to be the worst points for the system. Nintendo knows they are in a bad spot right now for Wii U, so it is a good thing they are pushing 3DS quite a bit for now.

Gamecube went up back in 2001. February's generally a better month all around. It might go up, but if it does, it won't be by much, especially with Jan being 5 weeks, of course.

Oh shit, I forgot that Jan was a 5 week reporting period.

Never mind. I'm knocking it down to 60K.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Nintendo didn't release any titles in the US in February 2002 for the Gamecube, either. But it still went up then as well.

It's just a stronger month for sales in general, and with Nintendo guaranteed to be in panic mode, I'm betting we'll see sales increases.

You do realize 2 weeks have passed in February, what absurd thing can NINty do in the next 2 weeks to make the system climb 15K+?

Branduil

I agree with what you said pretty much. Wii was lightning in a bottle. I'm not trying to prop up Wii Sports as a game, just as an experience. It is what sold the Wii. NSMB and Mario Kart Wii sold 20 million copies on the back of Wii sports. People who normally would not have bought a console for those games had one thanks to Wii sports and resort and Fit. Those people have no reason to buy a Wii u. There is nothing compelling about it to them, and Wind Waker HD or another NSMB or another Smash Bros won't change that.

This is why I think Nintendo needs to release a VR console in the next few years. VR is the only concept I can think of which could capture the imagination of the public in the same way as the Wii. And unlike the Wii, it should have a lot more staying power.

Duxxy3

I sure was... but I didn't want to post a comment about it. This is totally a Saturn situation and not a Dreamcast.
The DC was ambitious, groundbreaking, had amazing titles, was a graphical tour de force and pioneered console Internet connectivity.

As a launch saturn owner i am highly offended by this.

Hopefully the false optimism about the Wii U is officially gone with the newest data. Nintendo has literally recreated the 3DS launch for a second time.

Can't wait to see what I get out of the ambassador program this time. :/

Madouu

This is literally the most obvious point ever and 90% of gaming side can't seem to grasp it.

Nintendo staples like Mario and Zelda have been on every Nintendo system, successful or not. The breakout Nintendo systems (Gameboy, DS, and Wii) were successful because they had incredibly popular series with widespread appeal. For the Gameboy, this was Pokemon and Tetris. For the DS, this was Nintendogs and Brain Trainings (and similar accessible titles). And for the Wii, this was the entire Wii series. Point being that Nintendo greatly expanded their potential market by releasing innovative, accessible titles outside of their usual staple series. The Wii U, while it has an interesting control scheme, hasn't replicated this at all. A game like NSMB won't do much to appeal to the expanded market without breakout titles to provide an expanded base. When the expanded base is brought on, it will naturally spill over to traditional Nintendo series, bolstering their sales potential (Mario Kart was the largest beneficiary of this effect last generation).

NintendoLand is the right idea but the wrong execution. When the Wii first came out with Wii Sports, the exposure was ridiculous. It was mainstream. Everyone knew about the control scheme and what the system offered. Does the average person really care about the Wii-U or NintendoLand? What does it matter to them if NL is technically superior to Wii Sports? Where is the marketing? Where is the hype?

Just wanted to say that I agree with your post.

Yup, it's quite the shitty situation for DmC.

Nintendo always has something up their sleeve. They created this industry, and they will be here when it collapses.

Regardless, the end of this year will be really exciting to see.

Can't wait to see the launch sales of the Durango and the Orbis.

Scum

The numbers aren't great but the WiiU is still the top selling next gen console on the market. And by the time the PS4 hits the market at $400-500, the WiiU will have a nice price cut and a host of top selling franchises ready to launch. This isn't over. We don't know what Retro has been working on, I have a feeling they'll provide the killer app gamers are looking for.

Just a couple moves can fix this, I really don't see a point in jumping to conclusions. Nintendo can potentially purchase Valve, given their financial problems. Also given the ridiculous situation at Ubisoft, I think master talents like Ancel could flock to Nintendo. Those two moves alone would shore up the US and UK markets, and Japan will fall in line for Animal Crossing WiiU.

7MHUV.gif

Razdek

Banned
Why are some people saying that things are going to get better with Vita and things are going to be fine? Sony has done nothing to show that they're going to push the system and when the PS4 is released they'll be pushing that instead of Vita.

Averon

So, how much will Nintendo have to revise downward their Wii U projection. It went from 5.5 million to 4 million.

3.5 million? 3 million?

Top Bottom