• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD January 2013 Sales Results [Up7: Wii U 57K (CNET), Vita ~35K, PS3 201K]

Roman

No way in hell Wii U reaches 100k based on a game like Monster Hunter. Like predicting Gravity Rush to sell a ton of Vitas. Niche franchises do not push many systems. You would have an easer time if you said Lego City, but even then I don't think parents will be buying their kids a 300 dollar console to play the newest lego game. I don't understand why anyone thinks Lego City is actually going to drive sales. We've seen so many Lego games over the years it's not even funny. No matter how different this one is it does not change that fact. The game will also have a version (even if its not the same) on 3DS. No the first game that has a shot at pushing a significant number of Wii U's is Pikmin 3.

You'd have to clarify 'significant number' because I don't see Pikmin (a sequel to Gamecube games) as something that incites a more than marginal amount of consumers outside of early adopters to buy the hardware.

Schnozberry

I agree. I think the biggest issue is that, compared to the loaded first months of the Wii, the Wii U is absolutely sparse with releases during the post-holiday season. That can cause some negative hype, as we are seeing here.

Also, third party support is all but gone at this point. At least the Wii was cheap thanks to the PS2 ports and super cheap releases. Now they don't even make those anymore. :/

The Wii was also $249. That helped a lot. 2013 is a much different technological landscape with much stiffer competition for your entertainment dollar. Hell, the 360 and PS3 didn't really even pick up a lot of steam until after being on the market for quite some time, and only really got going after their first price drops.

I don't see how you get Durango and Orbis taking off like rockets either if they come out at premium price points. Apple will have new products out too next Christmas. If Nintendo can manage to get the cost down far enough and offer some nice value bundles, they might have a chance at turning it around. A lot of things would have to fall into place though. It will likely involve some goal post moving on their part as well. This console, or any console for that matter, will struggle to reach the success of the previous generation. Too much has changed, both technologically and economically.

Schnozberry

You'd have to clarify 'significant number' because I don't see Pikmin (a sequel to Gamecube games) as something that incites a more than marginal amount of consumers outside of early adopters to buy the hardware.

I think what the system needs is some positive momentum, and it's unlikely to find much until E3 when Nintendo gets it's release schedule together.

Kusagari

It's funny seeing all the Gamecube third party comments considering it had probably the best third party support Nintendo has had since the SNES.

JoeM86

Things are looking rather grim, but it'll turn around. It's a new console, so no post-Christmas deals, the economy is in hell and with no new games out at all, did anyone really expect it to do brilliantly?

It'll turn around :)

By the time Durango/Orbis launch, they'll have their own issues(price, software, availability, convincing people to upgrade) and Nintendo will have actual games out by by then.

There won't be any Nintendo Wii like success next generation. Hell, if they get to Xbox 360 level sales, I'd be impressed.

Schnozberry

:sadyes:

im still really upset at ubisoft.

Would've filled a nice gap in the Q1 releases for the wii U....

I can't blame Ubi. Nintendo is in a bad spot right now. Ubi probably figured they release it now with a chance at selling 50k copies, or spend a few bucks and get a chance at selling a few hundred thousand in September across multiple platforms. Sucks for Wii U owners, but let's disabuse ourselves of any notion that this industry runs on anything but money.

Miles X

By the time Durango/Orbis launch, they'll have their own issues(price, software, availability, convincing people to upgrade) and Nintendo will have actual games out by by then.

There won't be any Nintendo Wii like success next generation. Hell, if they get to Xbox 360 level sales, I'd be impressed.

You're assuming a lot, some consoles launch without major issues. At least those two are going to have a target demographic to aim for!

WiiU is unlikely to get close to 360 sales in the US (and probably WW)

AniHawk

It's funny seeing all the Gamecube third party comments since it had probably the best third party support Nintendo has had since the SNES.

that would be the wii. it may not have had all the games you wanted, but third parties gave it a lot of support. it also had a bunch of exclusive titles from third-parties, something the gamecube never had.

i don't think people remember how bad the gamecube was. games were made on two discs. games were delayed or given stealth releases. sequels to successful games skipped the system. it was pretty terrible.

I can't blame Ubi. Nintendo is in a bad spot right now. Ubi probably figured they release it now with a chance at selling 50k copies, or spend a few bucks and get a chance at selling a few hundred thousand in September across multiple platforms. Sucks for Wii U owners, but let's disabuse ourselves of any notion that this industry runs on anything but money.

The established base of Wii U owners were looking forward to this game.

I think it would've been profitable.

Especially, if they revoked their decision and released it in March. The game has gotten so much free marketing because of this gaming movement.

I'm pretty sure the sales would be much better.

Roman

Things are looking rather grim, but it'll turn around. It's a new console, so no post-Christmas deals, the economy is in hell and with no new games out at all, did anyone really expect it to do brilliantly?

It'll turn around :)

There is a large gulf between 'doing brilliantly' and what we have here. I agree it's early to dismiss the system's long term success entirely but based on their previous forecasts and the data we have to work with, in addition to the looming competition there is not many other conclusions to draw.

You're assuming a lot, some consoles launch without major issues. At least those two are going to have a target demographic to aim for!

WiiU is unlikely to get close to 360 sales in the US (and probably WW)

When the 360 is done, it will end above the Wii in the US(most likely this year). So not sure what chance Wii U has of touching the 360 numbers in the US.

Especially, if they revoked their decision and released it in March. The game has gotten so much free marketing because of this gaming movement.

One group Ubisoft needs no advice from are game forum economists. Their decision to delay Rayman and move it to other consoles is looking incredibly prescient right now.

test_account

XP-39C²
Because people don't want to believe that they spent $250 on a system with a two-year lifespan.
Why would Sony use money on Vita developement if they are going to stop production and support in December 2013? Killzone is coming in September for example, why bother with it if they're canceling the whole system a few months later?

AniHawk

until then, the wii u will be selling less than 50k a month, at best. eight months is a loooooooong time to be irrelevant. just ask sony.

until then, the wii u will be selling less than 50k a month, at best. eight months is a loooooooong time to be irrelevant. just ask sony.

ehhhh. not as we approach the holiday season. and nintendo's fall line-up looks significantly better.

I think the Wii U will push decent numbers by the end of the year.

300k for GOW:A

lol

its going to do gangbusters as will THELASTOFUS

Given how bad the exclusives were last year, I tend to agree with this. Sony fans are incredibly thirsty right now. I dont think GoW will do tremendous numbers, but I expect Last of Us will rival at least Uncharted 3.

rdrr gnr

dckW2ZP.png

Blades64

Banned
Wii U: 55K???? Wow! I'm gearing up for panic mode Nintendo for the Wii U. Gonna be great if they handle it the same way they did with the 3DS.

The biggest problems with this is the mounds of 3rd party games that will be cancelled along the way. Once you lose your footing with 3rd parties (it's seems like the Wii U barely had this to begin with) it is extremely hard to gain it back because the perpetual cycle continues.

Skyzard

Banned
Why would Sony use money on Vita developement if they are going to stop production and support in December 2013? Killzone is coming in September for example, why bother with it if they're canceling the whole system a few months later?

They're clearly not. Father_Brain is pretty convinced it's being discontinued though. Puzzling since we haven't even had an official price drop yet and the fact that Sony has never cancelled a product, would lose all investments in handheld gaming research and future potential through lack of reliability and have already announced intentions to support a full vita life cycle.

Schnozberry

Maybe? I think Ubi was ice cold to leave Wii U owners hanging, and I'm one of them, but I think they care about money more than hurting people's feelings. They want to sell as many full price copies as possible, and while September is probably just as much of a risk, the Wii U will likely have sold a few million more by then. At least you'd hope.

The whole point of being an armchair analyst is to make absolute predictions while knowing very little information.

When you start asking questions it kinda goes against that.

They're clearly not. Father_Brain is pretty convinced it's being discontinued though. Puzzling since we haven't even had an official price drop yet.

It's not being discontinued, it will just be thrown off the shelves when Durango and Orbis launch this fall which is basically the same thing. Killzone and Tearaway, and maybe the Uncharted GA sequel are probably the last big games to get greenlit for Vita as I don't see why Sony would spend precious reources that could go to the PS4 on a sinkhole.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
It didn't even have to be Wii 2, but at least try and make the system look different and appear as a fresher brand. White plastic and the same font doesn't exactly scream "new experience come check me out!" when you walk by a kiosk.
they can't change the name but they can still refresh the case design.

AniHawk

ehhhh. not as we approach the holiday season. and nintendo's fall line-up looks significantly better.

I think the Wii U will push decent numbers by the end of the year.

the question is, will gamers and nongamers buy a new console for mario, smash bros, mario kart, and zelda? they didn't the last time nintendo was struggling with a console.

the only thing they might be able to do is a real radical change with what would essentially be a relaunch. not only drop the price and release games people want (more along the lines of a wii fit u, except more original), but price the games aggressively too. sony did this in the playstation and playstation 2 days. nintendo might be worried about third-party support, but it's not like they have much left to lose anymore.

It's ancient history, now that the PS3's sitting at 70m worldwide.

the fact the vita didn't immediately pop into your head kinda proves my point.

The ending credits of The Last of Us may be the last time my PS3 will be powered on.

I can consider this game the swan song and retire the console in the summer.
Bring on the next gen!

lets play some multiplayer TLOU yo. see you online then ;)

+

GOW:A. see you online then ;)

Kusagari

that would be the wii. it may not have had all the games you wanted, but third parties gave it a lot of support. it also had a bunch of exclusive titles from third-parties, something the gamecube never had.

i don't think people remember how bad the gamecube was. games were made on two discs. games were delayed or given stealth releases. sequels to successful games skipped the system. it was pretty terrible.

The Gamecube got third party games such as Burnout, Splinter Cell, Prince of Persia and Hitman that the Wii couldn't even dream of getting the same versions of for its gen.

And then it had Viewitful Joe, Every RE game up to RE4 and 0, Super Monkey Ball, Ikaruga, Baten Kaitos, Tales of Symphonia, Lost Kingdoms, Skies of Arcadia, Soulcalibur 2 with Link, Timesplitters and more.

I'll take Gamecube's third party support over the Wii's any day.

Skyzard

Banned
It's not being discontinued, it will just be thrown off the shelves when Durango and Orbis launch this fall which is basically the same thing.

Not really, Sony will obviously carry on supporting it through their own games and encouraging third parties as always. If things don't pick up after a price drop etc then I'd understand third-party support will slow down which it has done already but it's not time to confirm life expectancy yet.

Davey Cakes

Of course not. It's not his fault he was told to make that turd
You, sir, are out of line.

What's with people hating on Nintendo Land? It may not have the popularity of Wii Sports but it's still top quality. A unique spin on multiplayer Nintendo games, and more brilliant than what E3 let on. A true surprise.

Going on my social experiences with it, the game should have been a knock out of the park.

But, hell, Wii Sports garnered a lot of hate too, even though it was a lot of fun and basically defined a generation. *scratches head*

lantus

Just do it Nintendo, cut the price for some emergency install base. It worked for the 3ds, I'm sure you could do it again.

Top Bottom