• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD March 2012 Sales Results [Up3: ME3 Total, Binary Domain]

Dammit, I can't resist. :(

I don't know what Nintendo can do for 3DS in the west. Western third-parties don't support handhelds, while Japanese ones don't localize shit. Nintendo would basically need to ditch Wii U and focus only on 3DS to get enough games out.

I think there's been enough of a shift in the handheld gaming arena that neither Sony nor Nintendo will recover in America. Nintendo will still have its audience, but I think the American market has shifted to handheld gaming on their phones.

I don't know where this leaves them. Software will tell really. If they can show why dedicated handheld gaming systems are relevant, success can still be had. But I'm beginning to think they'll have an uphill climb to contend with.

Home consoles should remain successful. Americans like their TV's and consoles shine on a television with a comfy couch.

BurntPork

Banned
I think there's been enough of a shift in the handheld gaming arena that neither Sony nor Nintendo will recover in America. Nintendo will still have its audience, but I think the American market has shifted to handheld gaming on their phones.

I don't know where this leaves them. Software will tell really. If they can show why dedicated handheld gaming systems are relevant, success can still be had. But I'm beginning to think they'll have an uphill climb to contend with.

Home consoles should remain successful. Americans like their TV's and consoles shine on a television with a comfy couch.

I know, and I hate it so much. I don't want to be stuck dealing with an inferior experience on a platform made by a company I hate...

This is definitely the last generation of handhelds in the west though. :(

So the 3ds had a better first year than the DS and we're talking about handheld gaming being dead?

And everyone expected sub 100k for the vita and it's at 200k but it's somehow doing awful as well?

I really need to stop coming into the npd threads. They hurt my brain.

lenovox1

Nintendo sold 80 million GBAs, and I'd wager most of them were for kids. It doesn't seem like people buy their kids iOS devices for whatever reason, so Nintendo will always be there for that market. Hell, there's probably still a market for Sony, but the "console games on the go" angle isn't going to work in a place that doesn't care.

I too feel like the dedicating gaming handheld market in the US has constricted due to smartphones. It is not doomed, there is still room for such devices, but I think the market will only be large enough to support one. If I put personal preferences aside and ask myself "Do we really need two different major dedicated-gaming handhelds in today's world?" I have to answer "No". It's just a matter of which camp ends up starving to death first as there's not enough food to go around.

Kyon

Banned
So the 3ds had a better first year than the DS and we're talking about handheld gaming being dead?

And everyone expected sub 100k for the vita and it's at 200k but it's somehow doing awful as well?

I really need to stop coming into the npd threads. They hurt my brain.

this is my first time posting in a NPD thread will never ever do it again

Vita was quite a surprise. I think Opiate from the Media Create thread was expecting numbers around this point for Vita in NA this month too. Way to go, man!

BurntPork

Banned
Nintendo sold 80 million GBAs, and I'd wager most of them were for kids. It doesn't seem like people buy their kids iOS devices for whatever reason, so Nintendo will always be there for that market. Hell, there's probably still a market for Sony, but the "console games on the go" angle isn't going to work in a place that doesn't care.

I see kids with iPods everywhere.

Then again, I live in New York and get 10 StreetPass hits per day easily, so I see just about everything everywhere.

Part of the reason I don't really expect Nintendo to go anywhere.

They've got a fairly large group of potential buyers. I just don't see the market getting larger from here on out. I could see some fairly significant market contraction actually.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
So 3ds outsold the vita yet people are calling 3DS numbers awful. I don't get it.

It's effectively $100 cheaper than a Vita with a much stronger library (to the average person) including a big game, that was fairly marketed, for the month of March. I think most people were expecting much more separation between the two systems this month, you can tell that by reading the posts in this thread before the data came out.

graywolf323

It's effectively $100 cheaper than a Vita with a much stronger library (to the average person) including a big game, that was fairly marketed, for the month of March. I think most people were expecting much more separation between the two systems this month, you can tell that by reading the posts in this thread before the data came out.

or just look at the prediction thread

Dammit, I can't resist. :(

I don't know what Nintendo can do for 3DS in the west. Western third-parties don't support handhelds, while Japanese ones don't localize shit. Nintendo would basically need to ditch Wii U and focus only on 3DS to get enough games out.
or they can start paying for localization of games which would probably cost them less money

Burai

shitonmychest57
Part of the reason I don't really expect Nintendo to go anywhere.

They've got a fairly large group of potential buyers. I just don't see the market getting larger from here on out. I could see some fairly significant market contraction actually.

If flash carts/SD-based piracy don't happen, the 3DS hardware sales will never, ever reach the heights of the GBA or DS.

Hardware:

Xbox 360 - 371K (-14.3%)
PlayStation 3 - 337K (-7.7%) [PR Math]
Nintendo 3DS - 225K (-43.8%)
Nintendo Wii - 175K (-39.7%)
Wow. Remember when the Wii sold more than the 360 and PS3 combined? Now it is selling less than half the 360.

The candle that burns twice as bright lasts half as long.

C4Lukins

I just have to say, good numbers for PS3 hardware. No they are not winning, but I cannot even understand how they are doing as well as they did last month. The biggest game of the month they lost to 4 to 1. They have the best exclusive baseball game but that has never been a system seller. Journey is awesome and all, but I do not think Braid, Limbo, Bastion and Trials actually sold 360's and I apply that logic to Journey.

So those are some impressive hardware numbers. They were an exclusive away from winning the month. And they doubled the Wii. I am surprised.

Capcom and Slant Six laughing their way to the bank. One things for sure. Resident Evil 6 is gonna be a monster.

And does anyone have Unit 13 and MLB vita numbers?

M.D

ORC... HOLY SHIT

I didn't realize RE brand was so strong, and didn't the last two games on 3DS did pretty bad? It also been a few years from RE5.

RE6 is going to be huge.

Also, MLB: The Show is pretty surprising. I don't remember what it did last year, but 2010 it did around 350K. I obviously don't have the numbers, but I won't be surprised if it's 450K+. I realize there's the Vita version, but it probably didn't do significant numbers.

I don't think the parents and kids are necessarily moving away from dedicated handhelds as much as the handheld game systems are moving away from them. Prices are going up and the games are becoming more sophisticated. Gotta keep the economy in mind too. I hear people are saving more these days. With all the game deals going on at retailers as well, gamers and gaffers are becoming patient and waiting for sales and discounts. Of course this is affecting the home console market as well.

DS did not really take off in America until New Super Mario Bros. touched down, on the DS lite, at the price of $129.99/$34.99. On the 3DS, getting the next 2d Mario for on the go gaming will be more expensive than ever. I don't like where the trends and times seem to be taking us, but I guess we'll see how things go.

Also, something I've observed locally is the lack of demo units at stores for 3DS and Vita. Only ever saw those at Best Buy (a company that is having some trouble at the moment) and Toys R Us for 3DS. Not sure why that is.

C4Lukins

I do have to shit on the Vita though. There is nothing impressive about its performance.

You had Uncharted, Lumines, and I think Hot Shots at launch. I mean what are you looking forward to in the next few months? Resistance and Mortal Kombat? Not that I think that this is not a worthy platform, but they blew their load at launch and not enough people gave a shit. I think it is in real trouble.

Of course the DS and 3DS suffered similar initial problems. But they had Mario Kart, Pokemon, and other huge franchises to hang their future hat on. What does Vita have?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I do have to shit on the Vita though. There is nothing impressive about its performance.

You had Uncharted, Lumines, and I think Hot Shots at launch. I mean what are you looking forward to in the next few months? Resistance and Mortal Kombat? Not that I think that this is not a worthy platform, but they blew their load at launch and not enough people gave a shit. I think it is in real trouble.

Of course the DS and 3DS suffered similar initial problems. But they had Mario Kart, Pokemon, and other huge franchises to hang their future hat on. What does Vita have?

Same thing we had with the 3DS - playing the launch games until actual stuff comes out. What does the Vita have? I'm personally interested in any old shit - be it on 3DS or Vita - what's everyone else looking for? i dunno - if the figures are as they are then i'd have thought there might well be interest in COD ? No idea.

spwolf

No. Vita (226) lagged behind 3DS (262) last month.

I am guessing declines for both platforms for April. No significant new software and fewer tax refunds should amount to fewer sales. I do think 3DS continues outpacing Vita by a narrow margin, as it has in the last couple of months.

i have no idea how is Sony pulling these Vita/PS3 numbers, but both are very good compared to competition and market conditions.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

You're already burying Gravity Rush. I see :(

Not sure why you're acting like the next handful of months for the 3DS is somehow exactly loaded.

PerZona

Nice to see RE: ORC selling so well. Personally I had enjoyed this game, but of course only when playing with my friends. This game will be a total disaster if being played alone.

Oh and nice PS3 numbers too. Good to see the PS3 selling above 300k.

spwolf

Good?

*looks at last gen*

Uhu..

last gen what? compared to last month and last year vs competition vs market, excellent numbers. PS Family indeed - outselling Nintendo by 30%-35% is pretty damn good.

I actually dont understand why, i would not think that historically games like MLB have been system sellers.

C4Lukins

i have no idea how is Sony pulling these Vita/PS3 numbers, but both are very good compared to competition and market conditions.

Wait compared to what? The PS3 maybe. I think it was a decent month for the PS3 but the system overall is what, several million behind second place and still losing more ground on a monthly basis.

And with the Vita, maybe it is doing fine, but where does it go from here? Is the next Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy a Vita exclusive? Is EA and Ubisoft going straight up Vita in the future? What could possibly be the gleaming light in the near future of that system that is going to keep it from doing anything but spiral downwards in sales?

I do not want that system to fail. I think it is pretty cool, but I just cannot find much optimism in its future. Maybe in Japan it can pull it together, but there is nothing for European and American audiences that makes it more appealing or even competitive to other products on the market.

C4Lukins

You're already burying Gravity Rush. I see :(

Not sure why you're acting like the next handful of months for the 3DS is somehow exactly loaded.

I am not promoting the 3DS in any capacity. Nintendo does have a way of defying expectations though, and they have a few franchises that can keep a system afloat with very little effort. I mean you can just say Pokemon, and that is enough for a Nintendo handheld. Sony just does not have that.

Acrylic7

Has anyone else noticed that more people are purchasing the 3g models of the Vita. Or is that just at my store?

We still have tons of Wi-Fi models, but the 3g models are the ones that were bought. None are selling at all, but I have noticed the difference since launch.Darn things collect dust.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Has anyone else noticed that more people are purchasing the 3g models of the Vita. Or is that just at my store?

We still have tons of Wi-Fi models, but the 3g models are the ones that were bought. None are selling at all, but I have noticed the difference since launch.Darn things collect dust.

You must work at a really weird store.

thirty

Banned
I also believe that this will be the last normal gen of handhelds and with that said I really do hope that Sony pulls it out with the Vita. Although nintendo has the software, the hardware is downright embarrassing in this day and age 3d be damned. I'd rather see handhelds go out with some great console like experiences rather than software held back by the hardware.

tzare

If those vita numbers are true, it is pretty decent after all the doom and gloom. ALso ps3 did relatively well. 360 too as expected. In fact , considering both MS and sony can drop prices later this year, current consoles are here to stay for a while. I wonder how will WiiU perform.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Surprised by Vita! Especially after DAT Sony PR, I was expecting the worst. Decent, but I fear so much April at this point.

Mario 3D Land and MK7 are selling costantly 100k or plus per month, good sign IMHO.
Good debut for KI in the end, let's see what'll do in the future.
I thought Revelations would have done fewer in its second month XD

About 3DS itself...certainly, it needs Brain Training like software, but we have still to remember the slow rate adoption of new consoles which is common in US. So far, it's doing good, but with the right software ( Mario 2D, BTlike and other things ), and a well building software lineup, it can improve a lot in next years.

Poor Wii :( Don't we have debuts for the past Mario Party entries?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Nintendo does have a way of defying expectations though, and they have a few franchises that can keep a system afloat with very little effort.

does slashing the cost of the unit constitute "very little effort" ? I mean - i'd be interested to see how it would have sold at $250 with the same games but Nintendo have had to pull out the stops to get the 3DS where it is.

unomas

Banned
And I'm still wondering how the hell RE ORC sold 580k for the month? I mean seriously? It looked awful, I wasn't even thinking about picking it up, I'm shocked so many people bought it.

Top Bottom