• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD March 2012 Sales Results [Up3: ME3 Total, Binary Domain]

Wow way to be nitpicky. In terms of pure units it outsold 3DS. And that still doesn't make it a disaster.

I can't believe I'm in a thread defending the Vita ughh.
In terms of pure units, Vita is selling worse than a $250 3DS, with a mediocre lineup, with no online store was. I don't know if that's a disaster or not, all I know is Vita did worse.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
april: nothing
may: mario tennis
june: nothing
august: fire emblem
september: potassium benzoate
october: that's bad
november: super mario bros. 4
december: luigi's mansion 2
I'm hoping they are going to use the upcoming Nintendo Direct to announce some summer dates for titles like Animal Crossing and ONI Training (not likely). Also, 3DS has Kingdom Hearts 3D and Theatrerhythm for the summer, which counts for something.....

april: Ghost Camera

Fixed there. We know Luigi's Mansion 2, Animal Crossing, New Super Mario Bros 3DS and Paper Mario are coming. I'd say those are good contenders for them. The problem is third parties are kinda flailing on the platform, outside of a few Japanese ones.

Kusagari

In terms of pure units, Vita is selling worse than a $250 3DS, with a mediocre lineup, with no online store was. I don't know if that's a disaster or not, all I know is Vita did worse.

Personally I expected Vita to be at 100k or even worse this month. So, in terms of my horrible expectations, this is a triumph lol.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
april: nothing
june: nothing
august: fire emblem
september: potassium benzoate
october: that's bad
november: super mario bros. 4
december: luigi's mansion 2

You skipped my birthday month. :mad:

And Nintendo is still sitting on Animal Crossing and Paper Mario to help fill up some of that. I'm sure they will be announcing some major software at E3.

the big thing is that nintendo lacks a big huge out-of-nowhere franchise like brain age that completely sells everyone on the platform that everyone else wants to rip off.

I think you'll see attempts at that at E3. Nintendo has been talking about making those kind of casual games recently, and I'll be interested if anything has come to fruition.

Holy shit, massive drop for 3DS.

The 3DS launched in March 2011.

AniHawk

Fixed there. We know Luigi's Mansion 2, Animal Crossing, New Super Mario Bros 3DS and Paper Mario are coming. I'd say those are good contenders for them. The problem is third parties are kinda flailing on the platform, outside of a few Japanese ones.

the big thing is that nintendo lacks a big huge out-of-nowhere franchise like brain age that completely sells everyone on the platform that everyone else wants to rip off.

Somnid

Holy shit, massive drop for 3DS.

Feburary -> March or are you forgetting it launched last March?

Well it won't be out-of-nowhere if you know about it ahead of time. Iwata did say they are working on new disruptive titles, that and Demon Training, whatever that is.

AniHawk

I'm hoping they are going to use the upcoming Nintendo Direct to announce some summer dates for titles like Animal Crossing and ONI Training (not likely). Also, 3DS has Kingdom Hearts 3D and Theatrerhythm for the summer, which counts for something.....

kingdom hearts might do well, but theateurythmics is gonna wind up with 40% of elite beat agents's ltd sales.

Feburary -> March or are you forgetting it launched last March?

generally, march sales are higher than february's due to the extra week. the 3ds dropped month to month with the extra week, which means sales are slowing down.

EDIT: i take that back. i didn't realize everything was down. my mind is still stuck in the days of 2003 and 2004. or maybe they never existed in the first place.

LOCK

I'm making the point that it's likely that the only reason 3DS was ahead in March was Kid Icarus. Is there anything wrong with that statement considering how close they ended up being? 3DS is obviously going to sell less next month, while Vita might sell about the same, so it's possible.

Um, your forgetting a rarely understood selling holiday called Easter.

AniHawk

Well it won't be out-of-nowhere if you know about it ahead of time. Iwata did say they are working on new disruptive titles, that and Demon Training, whatever that is.

i meant like how no one really expected gta or call of duty or brain age to become 15+ million sellers and then they did and everyone wanted to copy them. yeah, we knew they were in development, but we didn't know of their impact.

a year later and the 3ds doesn't have such a title.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I just don't see Nintendo striking gold with such a title this time. The casual market has pretty much been dried up with iOS/Android mobile phone gaming, Facebook, etc. and I believe Nintendo knows that. Hence their focus on core games and big push for localizations/Kid Icarus.

Sure, casual games can still sell on the 3DS. But I think Nintendogs & Cats kind of proved that a bunch of that market has moved on.

kingdom hearts might do well, but theateurythmics is gonna wind up with 40% of elite beat agents's ltd sales.

generally, march sales are higher than february's due to the extra week. the 3ds dropped month to month with the extra week, which means sales are slowing down.

Anecdotal, yes, but from PAX East Theaterhythm was very popular. So did Heroes of Ruin, but not as much of a line. I think it will do better than EBA. For Square-Enix's sake, it better!

Kusagari

Nothing makes me happier than Ninja Gaiden 3 bombing.

On two platforms and still got destroyed in sales in comparison to Ninja Gaiden 2.

Suck on that Team Ninja Dog.

Um, your forgetting a rarely understood selling holiday called Easter.

March -> April tends to see HW down across the board. At the very least because of shorter tracking period; but on a per weekly basis as well I believe.

Is Easter really a "selling holiday?"

Somnid

I just don't see Nintendo striking gold with such a title this time. The casual market has pretty much been dried up with iOS/Android mobile phone gaming, Facebook, etc. and I believe Nintendo knows that. Hence their focus on core games and big push for localizations/Kid Icarus.

Sure, casual games can still sell on the 3DS. But I think Nintendogs & Cats kind of proved that a bunch of that market has moved on.

People will buy platforms for the games you just need a bandwagon for them to hop on. Just because people play Angry Birds on iPhones doesn't mean some equal craze isn't going to drive them elsewhere, Nintendo has just not created such a title.

Nintendogs + Cats was probably held back because the original audience wasn't the early adopting type and to make a causal friendly ecosystem you need a low point of entry, which $250 wasn't low enough for them. Once initial hype dies, people don't come back for second looks. If they were to release Nintenponies this November they'd probably do 3x Nintendogs + Cats easy.

People will buy platforms for the games you just need a bandwagon for them to hop on. Just because people play Angry Birds on iPhones doesn't mean some equal craze isn't going to drive them elsewhere, Nintendo has just not created such a title.

Nintendogs + Cats was probably held back because the original audience wasn't the early adopting type and to make a causal friendly ecosystem you need a low point of entry, which $250 wasn't low enough for them. Once initial hype dies, people don't come back for second looks. If they were to release Nintenponies this November they'd probably do 3x Nintendogs + Cats easy.

Ponies? Oh no... what have you started...

And Silent Hill + Binary Domain ~ (How do you do that 'roughly equal to' symbol?) Ninja Gaiden 3

SnP4n.gif

This pleases me. FUCK YOU Team Ninja

Kusagari

It's bittersweet because that could be the end of the franchise.

I agree, and it's something I've said in the NG3 thread. I felt that this could be the game that sends the franchise back into the cellar for 5+ years.

But really...I don't want any more NG games by Hayashi either.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
$50-60 boxed copy retail on console is an absolute fools game for anything but the biggest franchises at this point.

It's the end of an era and the death knell of a prehistoric business model.

Basch

Is 200K bad for Vita? I actually expected way worse. Shitty games and all that. Wasn't Unit 13 the only major release for Vita this month? I doubt that explains the 200K+ units. Weird. I love my Vita, but it needs more/better games.

BurntPork

Banned
Dammit, I can't resist. :(

I don't know what Nintendo can do for 3DS in the west. Western third-parties don't support handhelds, while Japanese ones don't localize shit. Nintendo would basically need to ditch Wii U and focus only on 3DS to get enough games out.

Top Bottom